2014 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,672 - $25,621.

10/7.5

Based on 32 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Excellant storage, comfort and mileage

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "mileage, comfort, storage"

Cons: "radio"

"Owned since Jan 2013 with 6k miles. Let me just tell you some of the things that influenced my decision. First, it can handle five adults,and has the storage depth, height and overall volume of small SUVs and larger wagons. The MPG is spectacular - 47 mpg in mixed suburban and highway driving at max speed levels in the warmer months. Like most cars, when the winter fuels are available then it goes down by 10-12%. The V model rides higher then the standard Prius by almost an inch - does not sound like a lot but has made a big difference. Also, the V has better ride quality then the standard Prius, I have owned both. The seat comfort is above average, I judge this by the fact that I can drive over three hours with no discomfort to my 60+ body. Fit and finish are very good, Although I wished the series 5 had a better radio. If you have not driven a standard Prius then you cannot appreciate the full rear window view that the V has. At this time I believe the Prius V is in a class by itself and I am very satisfied with it."

Excellent value, large amount of cargo space.

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, handling, cargo space"

Cons: "Noise level, paint quality, Navigation System"

"PRIUS V: Excellent value with some quirks. PROS: Gas mileage (between 48 and 50 mph in the summer, between 32 an 36 in the winter).Lower battery efficiency in winter due to cold temperatures. Also constant running of heating system, forcing the gas engine to run more frequently. Road handling is excellent, the car feels very safe. Comfort is surprisingly good for such a car. Large cargo space (larger that my SUV). Interior: Good ergonomics at the console. Controls accessible and usually easy to manage with some exceptions. Three drink holders on front is helpful as well as two glove/storage compartments. Seats surprisingly comfortable. AV Interface and ergonomics mostly good with some exceptions: USB outlets are useful, BT syncing of any phone on AV system is good. Hands free phone is excellent. CONS: Noise level too high.To boost fuel economy, sacrifices were made in soundproofing. The car can be noisy, especially on rough surfaces. Paint quality: Because of weight control (that is my belief) the amount of paint applied to the car was reduced. On my Prius V, front of the car has paint scratches and dings due to small stones and other debris on the road.This should not be happening on a 10 month old car. According to Toyota, it is also due to the shape of the front bumper which sends back to the hood all of the junk collected ! Also tiniest shock on the car will immediately result in a small body scratch. Navigation system: I was warned. The GPS on the Prius is one of the worst. I agree: GPS is often getting confused, road algorithms are not efficient, reaction time is slow. For the price paid for such extra, one would expect a better GPS. No possibility to change voice as well and no real Text To Speech. GPS ergonomics not good with touch control on screen problematic and counter-intuitive. Radio controls: Standard radio is good. XM Satellite Radio is very good but too few XM/FM/AM presets available on radio. Radio controls are not always obvious. It take some time to get used to them, Another quirk on all Prius: It is very easy on newer Prius to leave the car on without noticing it. it has happened to me and to many others. I have to make sure to press the main control off prior to exiting the car. Taking the key with me will not disengage the On/Off switch. A friend's relative drove 100 miles to their house and they realized after arriving that they did not have their car key with them.... when trying to restart the car at a gas station. Tires: In order to save on fuel, Toyota chose middle of the road tires. Those Yokohama tires are a compromise between regular all-weather radials or specialized tires. Although the choice of those tires help with fuel efficiency, it becomes problematic during the winter as the car is not as good on snowing conditions as one would expect from a front wheel drive. All in all it is a good car. It is expensive but there are good deals to be made on new ones. It is almost impossible to find a used Prius, as owners don't want to part with them once they have one. The main point is, no one can beat 50 mpg..."

Nice ride and fuel economy

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Fuel economy"

Cons: "NO DRL no customer support"

"Great ride and fuel economy. You must check before you buy if you want the Daytime Running Lights. Toyota does not place these in all models. A major safety flaw."

Almost 40K Miles, Still Pleased With the Prius V

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Excellent fuel economy, lots of space"

Cons: "A few rattles"

"Toyota did a great job of combining fuel economy with practicality in the Prius V. Interior space is plentiful, flexible, and functional. We actually moved from Virginia to California - the Prius V stuffed with loads of our junk and our two dogs. We averaged about 42 MPG for the trip. She's not the prettiest car to look at but really gets us around. A few rattles have developed which is annoying, but overall we're pleased with this choice."

I average about 48 miles per gallon in the city.

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage"

Cons: "Expensive to buy"

"I use regular gas. Toyota specifies synthetic oil 0 w 20 w. Oil change cost about $60.00. Change oil every 10,000 miles. Great design. Material some sub par. Noisy on acceleration. Reliable. Big amount of space. I own the Prius V model 3. Hard to justify the cost of a hybrid. You pay more to buy it and save on gas."