2014 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $24,798 - $25,717.

10/7.5

Based on 32 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

This is one great family car

By on Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Pros: "Real fun to drive, Great gas milage!"

Cons: "Gas milage on sticker 50 mpg reality is 43 mpg"

"Seats 5 large people, I'm tall and very comfortable even larger passengers love the roomy ness of my sporty little car. This car can handle curves has great pickup, and in power mode climbs hills like a v8 and it's easy to maintain. I rate it as one of the best on the market today."

Best car ever. Only exceeded by 1986 Toyota truck.

By on Friday, April 17, 2015

Pros: "Very smooth and reliable ride. Efficient AC"

Cons: "Wish I had gotten a darker upholstery."

"Excellent results at 30,000 miles. Zero problems. Just oil changes for free so far. getting advertised mileage of 42+ mpg. Good pick up, lots of space to carry golf clubs, two labs and luggage. Plan on keeping for at least 8 years and drive it to Alaska next year. Bluetooth phone really adds to safety."

Good vehicle---overpriced

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "Pretty, good exterior and interior design."

Cons: "Very poor GPS, poor seat comfort, very overpriced."

"Terrible Electronic Package-not worth the $4,500 price--Better to put a Garmin GPS on the dash. We have two Toyotas and both have Garmins on the dash, not using the Toyota GPS. They are placed wrong in the vehicle and a very bad GPS. Uncomfortable Drivers Seat after 24,000 miles, have had to put two cushions on seat. Otherwise, a very good car. Overall only 41.5 miles/gal. over 42,000 miles."

Very practical, reliable, cost effective vehicle

By on Friday, January 23, 2015

Pros: "space for hauling stuff, 40+ mpg, easy to drive"

Cons: "keyless entry only on driver door, reverse dinging"

"I really like my Prius V. This is my second Hybrid vehicle (I had a Hybrid Camry last time), and I have been very satisfied with the way the battery merges with the engine power. It has a special button for additional power when you feel you might need it--merging onto interstate highways or steep hills. The mileage has been consistently 42-45 mpg. I do wish the driver's seat was automatic in changing positions--my husband and I are very different heights. I switched to the Prius V because I needed a vehicle that would allow me to carry multiple boxes of books, plants for landscaping, bicycles for kids, and luggage. The Prius has worked very well for this purpose. We bought a dark gray one because that was what was available locally. This makes it harder to spot the vehicle in parking lots. There is sufficient headroom for my very tall husband and friends. A little more leg room for the back seat would be nice, but this is OK. I also really wanted a back-up camera, which is a big help in parking lots. I wish that the vehicle would sit higher off the ground, thus minimizing scraping the carriage on bumper blocks. The basic sound system is adequate. It does have Blu-tooth capability, which my husband uses. We had a tire blow-out on the highway while I was driving. I was able to fully control the vehicle and take the next exit. I like having the dashboard read out in the center, rather than right in front of the steering wheel. I also like the key-less ignition. Adjusting to pushing a button (rather than turning a key) takes a little getting used to. The car is nearly silent when it is in eco mode, so you have to be mindful that pedestrians cannot hear you coming. There are plenty of cup holders. In stop and go traffic, it works well, stopping quickly when necessary. The cruise control also works really well. The constant dinging sound when you are in reverse can get on your nerves. The interior feels much more spacious than the earlier Prius models. The ride is not as smooth as my Camry, but is is comfortable most of the time. There are fewer blind spots than there were in the Camry."

Nice ride at a year-end bargain price

By on Monday, December 22, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage,smooth ride,manufacturer reliabilty"

Cons: "Some road noise...but insulation is weight."

"Recently bought a new '14 V three to replace my rattle-trap '12 Subaru Forester (...first and LAST new Subaru purchase for me, by the way). Considered waiting for the '15, but discovered only minimal improvements (same battery pack) and an elongated front-end snout--you either like it or hate it. The Prius is far more quieter than the Subaru, has more room... and the electronics are simply in a different league. And, as we all know, the gas mileage is spectacular for a vehicle that rivals compact SUV space. Some ratings criticize initial purchase cost of the Prius V, but in my case my new '14 v Three was around 22,400 plus tax. A year-end bargain, in my book. I really like the illuminated auto-open door when you approach the car with the fob in you pocket."

Almost 40K Miles, Still Pleased With the Prius V

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Pros: "Excellent fuel economy, lots of space"

Cons: "A few rattles"

"Toyota did a great job of combining fuel economy with practicality in the Prius V. Interior space is plentiful, flexible, and functional. We actually moved from Virginia to California - the Prius V stuffed with loads of our junk and our two dogs. We averaged about 42 MPG for the trip. She's not the prettiest car to look at but really gets us around. A few rattles have developed which is annoying, but overall we're pleased with this choice."

I average about 48 miles per gallon in the city.

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage"

Cons: "Expensive to buy"

"I use regular gas. Toyota specifies synthetic oil 0 w 20 w. Oil change cost about $60.00. Change oil every 10,000 miles. Great design. Material some sub par. Noisy on acceleration. Reliable. Big amount of space. I own the Prius V model 3. Hard to justify the cost of a hybrid. You pay more to buy it and save on gas."

Excellent value

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, good handling"

Cons: "Has small car ride."

"Purchased new from dealer. Excellent reliability. Mileage almost always 40+. Lots of room for traveling and can hold full-sized golf bag easily. Power is more than adequate for interstate as well as rural mountainous driving. Only change I would make next time is getting the package that unlocks all doors with touch of drivers door (present car only unlocks drivers door) and built in navigation system."

Saved on gas but don't go over a bump!

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride and good on gas"

Cons: "too delicate for city driving. Repairs are insane"

"I have had the car for 2 months. Although it is great on gas and comfortable to drive, I discovered that if I go over a bump, pothole, speed bump, uneven surface, it can cause irreparable damage to the solid axle making it impossible to align the tires. I discovered this after going over a small bump. The tire deflated instantly and allegedly led to a minor bend in the solid axle which is not covered by a warranty. This needs to be replaced at a cost of over $2,000. This was a minor bump!!!!! I was told that this can happen driving in the snow also. Great car on a smooth surface--not so good in the city. So, I saved about $200 in gas but have a $2000 repair."

We just purchased this car and we love it!!!!!!!!!

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Price"

Cons: "Nothing"

"We bought this type because of its bigger interior and the back seats recline thats great for long road trips to OKC... Plenty of plug-in options for our devices. Another reason is we felt its more stable and better smoother ride than the regular Prius. So far no complaints. Right now we are getting above avg. gas mileage!!!!"

Love my Prius V with a couple of reservations

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable..roomy...good leg room"

Cons: "No automatic trunk release and auto close"

"Very surprised to learn that there was no inside trunk release or automatic close. I'm in my 70's and have trouble pulling the trunk closed..For the price of 27,000, I feel that is a serious flaw.. I am only getting 38.4 MPG..I bought the Prius for the mileage, but am disappointed that it does not reach at least 40 MPG.. It is also a bit noisy on acceleration, especially going up a hill..."

I really like this car

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, Bluetooth, roomy, has"

Cons: "No sunroof,"

"It has a great feel when your inside the car. Very roomy for everyone. The back seats recline back and move froward or back. I don't find the the cargo area cover very useful. It could be up higher to cover luggage or what ever you put in back. I find it in the way a lot. The car has plenty of cup holders. Roomy console and two glove-boxes, the back has some cool cubbies also. It drives pretty good. It does get good gas mileage. The MPG is really what they say it gets. My best overall trip was 43 MPG . My worst was 38 MPG. I found being in traffic that is bumper to bumper the car gets the greatest of mileage."

Great value - economical commuter car that 'hauls'

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate, technologically strong"

Cons: "Image, slow acceleration, handling just 'okay'"

"No one expects a Prius to be a hot rod, and it isn't. What's more, I am a very conservative individual and purchased the Prius for the selfish reasons of reliability and fuel economy - not 'green' concerns. (I had a loaded 4 door 4WD Tacoma prior.) The car doesn't disappoint. If you take it for what it is, the car is awesome. Lots of gadgets (I love gadgets), decent power, decent ride, TONS of carry space, quiet and comfortable (I'm 6'4" and 210 pounds). It's reliable and cheap to operate and I love it. Would I love to have a large pickup? Sure! But I don't carry large loads or pull a trailer - I commute back and forth to work - and the Prius V serves me well."

Great with wheelchairs!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "More room than you think!"

Cons: "Little less gas mileage than the standard Prius :("

"I'm a disabled vet, and get around in a wheelchair. This Prius V 5 fits my large frame very comfortably even on long drives! My chair fits easily in the back, and my wife never fights it! Whether I'm driving with my hand controls, or as a passenger, it's as easy as rolling up to it, and simply transferring over, no fuss! We don't get the great gas mileage that the standard size Prius gets, but for us, it was more about the cargo room. We still averaged 35 mpg and I'll take that to the bank all day long!"

I will buy another one

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, cargo capacity and comfort"

Cons: "A little boxy driving feel"

"For the money, it is well worth it. I do get the incredible mileage (up to 70 mph) and the cargo capacity is outstanding. It holds four adults with comfort. For this price range, the technology is outstanding in the package "5" level. I definitely would buy another one. I have recommended this car to friends and those that bought one have been very pleased."

Excellent value, large amount of cargo space.

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, handling, cargo space"

Cons: "Noise level, paint quality, Navigation System"

"PRIUS V: Excellent value with some quirks. PROS: Gas mileage (between 48 and 50 mph in the summer, between 32 an 36 in the winter).Lower battery efficiency in winter due to cold temperatures. Also constant running of heating system, forcing the gas engine to run more frequently. Road handling is excellent, the car feels very safe. Comfort is surprisingly good for such a car. Large cargo space (larger that my SUV). Interior: Good ergonomics at the console. Controls accessible and usually easy to manage with some exceptions. Three drink holders on front is helpful as well as two glove/storage compartments. Seats surprisingly comfortable. AV Interface and ergonomics mostly good with some exceptions: USB outlets are useful, BT syncing of any phone on AV system is good. Hands free phone is excellent. CONS: Noise level too high.To boost fuel economy, sacrifices were made in soundproofing. The car can be noisy, especially on rough surfaces. Paint quality: Because of weight control (that is my belief) the amount of paint applied to the car was reduced. On my Prius V, front of the car has paint scratches and dings due to small stones and other debris on the road.This should not be happening on a 10 month old car. According to Toyota, it is also due to the shape of the front bumper which sends back to the hood all of the junk collected ! Also tiniest shock on the car will immediately result in a small body scratch. Navigation system: I was warned. The GPS on the Prius is one of the worst. I agree: GPS is often getting confused, road algorithms are not efficient, reaction time is slow. For the price paid for such extra, one would expect a better GPS. No possibility to change voice as well and no real Text To Speech. GPS ergonomics not good with touch control on screen problematic and counter-intuitive. Radio controls: Standard radio is good. XM Satellite Radio is very good but too few XM/FM/AM presets available on radio. Radio controls are not always obvious. It take some time to get used to them, Another quirk on all Prius: It is very easy on newer Prius to leave the car on without noticing it. it has happened to me and to many others. I have to make sure to press the main control off prior to exiting the car. Taking the key with me will not disengage the On/Off switch. A friend's relative drove 100 miles to their house and they realized after arriving that they did not have their car key with them.... when trying to restart the car at a gas station. Tires: In order to save on fuel, Toyota chose middle of the road tires. Those Yokohama tires are a compromise between regular all-weather radials or specialized tires. Although the choice of those tires help with fuel efficiency, it becomes problematic during the winter as the car is not as good on snowing conditions as one would expect from a front wheel drive. All in all it is a good car. It is expensive but there are good deals to be made on new ones. It is almost impossible to find a used Prius, as owners don't want to part with them once they have one. The main point is, no one can beat 50 mpg..."

Great little car

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "good little road car - packs up and performs nice."

Cons: "non"

"Bought this as our primary vehicle after driving vans for many years. It has done everything we expected including saving us about $250.00 monthly on gas. We have been all over the U.S. and 3 Canadian provinces (58,000 miles in 13 months) and have no complaints. will probably buy another one next year."

Excellent interior space and reliability.

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

"This is my second Prius and both cars have been completely reliable. No repairs needed, routine service only. The interior space is ample for back seat passengers. I take a lot of stuff with me on vacation, including a dog crate and it holds all I need. By using 91 octane gas with no ethanol I get mileage 10% over the sticker numbers, except in the winter when the engine runs more to keep the heater working. The car runs effortlessly at 75mpg on the interstates and feels much more drivable than when I used 87 octane with ethanol."

I would buy this same model again

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "No power driver seat, road noise"

"I will definitely buy this model again. It is roomy and economical. I drive a lot and enjoy the savings of fuel."

Excellent car. I will recommend it to anyone.

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Great drive"

"Fuel economy - excellent 51 city / 48 highway. One does save thousands on fuel. Handling excellent. Back up camera a blessing not to mention the surround sensor around the vehicle which prevent hitting objects. Over all rating, I give it a 10+."

EXCELLENT QUALITY CAR WITH EVEN BETTER GAS MILAGE

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "GAS MILAGE, QUALITY WORKMANSHIP, ROOMY, EASY DRIVE"

Cons: "SEAT BELTS HARD TO GRASP TO LATCH, FAMILY LOOKING"

"NORMALLY, A PRIUS V WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ON MY BUCKET LIST, BUT ONCE WE GOT THE CAR, I WAS SURPRISED AT HOW NICE THE CAR WAS. IT WILL NEVER BE CONFUSED WITH A CUDA OR ANY OTHER MUSCLE CAR IN LOOKS OR ITS 0-60 SPEED, BUT IT DID HAVE NICE PASSING SPEED AND WAS SMOOTH TO DRIVE. THE COLORADO SNOW NEVER GAVE IT A PROBLEM ON THE ROADS. AND THE GAS MILAGE, WELL IT WAS REALLY NICE TO ONLY FILL UP ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS OR SO. ALL IN ALL, IT IS A VERY NICE FAMILY CAR WITH PLENTY OF ROOM FOR LUGGAGE IN THE BACK. HANDS DOWN, IT WAS A GREAT PURCHASE"

i love this car

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "ease of use comfort and economy"

Cons: "the stereo speakers sound cheap"

"In 2007 i was in the market for an economical car I test drove the first Prius,I actually drove it over to the Honda dealer and looked at new Civics. The biggest problem with the first Prius was its high price,no incentives were available and dealers wanted more than sticker price the first Prius also had huge blind spots and the transition from electric to gas was a bit harsh and the technology wasn't proven reliable. same day we fell in love with and purchased the honda civic si sedan "32mpg sports car" SEVEN YEARS LATER At the 2014 auto show i met the Prius v. Instantly noticed the increase in roominess also gone was the huge blind spot! looked at the price and it was a bit high but decided to find one i could drive. At the dealership i found a certified used 2012v3 14000 miles for 10000 off msrp i bought it . Drove it 30 miles home. Next morning temp was 17 degrees heavy snow storm with 3-4 inches already on the road. decided to drive the prius anyway. My drive to work was 63 miles that day. i was totally impressed with the way the prius travels snow covered roads at speed. it never felt loose like my civic did with just a little snow. it didn't get stuck in the heavy plow rows at intersections and i felt comfortable at 50 mph with 4 inches of snow in the way. Best of all i figured out how to display my average mpg and it was 47.2 WOW i was expecting maybe 35 mpg at best in those conditions but this prius surpassed even its 40mpg hwy rating. top it off i love the fact that u never need to dig your keys out just walk up grab door handle it quickly unlocks automatically. Sit down,step on brake,press power,shift into gear and your off get where your going,stop,just press power and walk away the car sets the parking brake and powers down with the push of one large button on the dash even turns off the headlights after a few seconds if you wish to leave them on. FIND THE COLOR YOU LIKE AND BUY THE PRIUS-V!"

Great value

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "great price and an easy drive."

Cons: "Not a sun-roof."

"Light silver exterior with black cloth interior. Easy vehicle to enjoy. 41.2 - 45.0 mpg."

Nice ride and fuel economy

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Fuel economy"

Cons: "NO DRL no customer support"

"Great ride and fuel economy. You must check before you buy if you want the Daytime Running Lights. Toyota does not place these in all models. A major safety flaw."

Big guy in a mid-size car works with Prius V

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Comfort, Storage, Technology"

Cons: "Not a jack rabbit"

"Purchased new in mid-2012, I now have 35,000 miles on this great vehicle. Overall I average 43.5 MPG with a high of 51. I'm not a lead foot, but I'm also not driving Miss Daisy. I also love the significant rear storage room. At 6'3 250 I fit comfortably behind the wheel and find this vehicle extremely comfortable and quite on the open road. With multiple passengers, my 6'2 son fits comfortably in the rear seat due to the seat adjustment forward and tilt. The Nav system, blue tooth etc., is awesome. Because I drive a Prius V, I continue to take some ribbing from my friends who get 12-14 MPG from their big trucks and SUV's...but at the end the day, I am saving hundreds of dollars each month at the gas pump! Prius V...great vehicle all-around."