2014 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $25,187 - $25,912.

10/7.5

Based on 20 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

9.8/10

Great value - economical commuter car that 'hauls'

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate, technologically strong"

Cons: "Image, slow acceleration, handling just 'okay'"

"No one expects a Prius to be a hot rod, and it isn't. What's more, I am a very conservative individual and purchased the Prius for the selfish reasons of reliability and fuel economy - not 'green' concerns. (I had a loaded 4 door 4WD Tacoma prior.) The car doesn't disappoint. If you take it for what it is, the car is awesome. Lots of gadgets (I love gadgets), decent power, decent ride, TONS of carry space, quiet and comfortable (I'm 6'4" and 210 pounds). It's reliable and cheap to operate and I love it. Would I love to have a large pickup? Sure! But I don't carry large loads or pull a trailer - I commute back and forth to work - and the Prius V serves me well."

Great with wheelchairs!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "More room than you think!"

Cons: "Little less gas mileage than the standard Prius :("

"I'm a disabled vet, and get around in a wheelchair. This Prius V 5 fits my large frame very comfortably even on long drives! My chair fits easily in the back, and my wife never fights it! Whether I'm driving with my hand controls, or as a passenger, it's as easy as rolling up to it, and simply transferring over, no fuss! We don't get the great gas mileage that the standard size Prius gets, but for us, it was more about the cargo room. We still averaged 35 mpg and I'll take that to the bank all day long!"

I will buy another one

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, cargo capacity and comfort"

Cons: "A little boxy driving feel"

"For the money, it is well worth it. I do get the incredible mileage (up to 70 mph) and the cargo capacity is outstanding. It holds four adults with comfort. For this price range, the technology is outstanding in the package "5" level. I definitely would buy another one. I have recommended this car to friends and those that bought one have been very pleased."

Excellent value, large amount of cargo space.

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, handling, cargo space"

Cons: "Noise level, paint quality, Navigation System"

"PRIUS V: Excellent value with some quirks. PROS: Gas mileage (between 48 and 50 mph in the summer, between 32 an 36 in the winter).Lower battery efficiency in winter due to cold temperatures. Also constant running of heating system, forcing the gas engine to run more frequently. Road handling is excellent, the car feels very safe. Comfort is surprisingly good for such a car. Large cargo space (larger that my SUV). Interior: Good ergonomics at the console. Controls accessible and usually easy to manage with some exceptions. Three drink holders on front is helpful as well as two glove/storage compartments. Seats surprisingly comfortable. AV Interface and ergonomics mostly good with some exceptions: USB outlets are useful, BT syncing of any phone on AV system is good. Hands free phone is excellent. CONS: Noise level too high.To boost fuel economy, sacrifices were made in soundproofing. The car can be noisy, especially on rough surfaces. Paint quality: Because of weight control (that is my belief) the amount of paint applied to the car was reduced. On my Prius V, front of the car has paint scratches and dings due to small stones and other debris on the road.This should not be happening on a 10 month old car. According to Toyota, it is also due to the shape of the front bumper which sends back to the hood all of the junk collected ! Also tiniest shock on the car will immediately result in a small body scratch. Navigation system: I was warned. The GPS on the Prius is one of the worst. I agree: GPS is often getting confused, road algorithms are not efficient, reaction time is slow. For the price paid for such extra, one would expect a better GPS. No possibility to change voice as well and no real Text To Speech. GPS ergonomics not good with touch control on screen problematic and counter-intuitive. Radio controls: Standard radio is good. XM Satellite Radio is very good but too few XM/FM/AM presets available on radio. Radio controls are not always obvious. It take some time to get used to them, Another quirk on all Prius: It is very easy on newer Prius to leave the car on without noticing it. it has happened to me and to many others. I have to make sure to press the main control off prior to exiting the car. Taking the key with me will not disengage the On/Off switch. A friend's relative drove 100 miles to their house and they realized after arriving that they did not have their car key with them.... when trying to restart the car at a gas station. Tires: In order to save on fuel, Toyota chose middle of the road tires. Those Yokohama tires are a compromise between regular all-weather radials or specialized tires. Although the choice of those tires help with fuel efficiency, it becomes problematic during the winter as the car is not as good on snowing conditions as one would expect from a front wheel drive. All in all it is a good car. It is expensive but there are good deals to be made on new ones. It is almost impossible to find a used Prius, as owners don't want to part with them once they have one. The main point is, no one can beat 50 mpg..."

Great little car

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "good little road car - packs up and performs nice."

Cons: "non"

"Bought this as our primary vehicle after driving vans for many years. It has done everything we expected including saving us about $250.00 monthly on gas. We have been all over the U.S. and 3 Canadian provinces (58,000 miles in 13 months) and have no complaints. will probably buy another one next year."

Excellent interior space and reliability.

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

"This is my second Prius and both cars have been completely reliable. No repairs needed, routine service only. The interior space is ample for back seat passengers. I take a lot of stuff with me on vacation, including a dog crate and it holds all I need. By using 91 octane gas with no ethanol I get mileage 10% over the sticker numbers, except in the winter when the engine runs more to keep the heater working. The car runs effortlessly at 75mpg on the interstates and feels much more drivable than when I used 87 octane with ethanol."

I would buy this same model again

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "No power driver seat, road noise"

"I will definitely buy this model again. It is roomy and economical. I drive a lot and enjoy the savings of fuel."

Excellent car. I will recommend it to anyone.

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Great drive"

"Fuel economy - excellent 51 city / 48 highway. One does save thousands on fuel. Handling excellent. Back up camera a blessing not to mention the surround sensor around the vehicle which prevent hitting objects. Over all rating, I give it a 10+."

EXCELLENT QUALITY CAR WITH EVEN BETTER GAS MILAGE

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "GAS MILAGE, QUALITY WORKMANSHIP, ROOMY, EASY DRIVE"

Cons: "SEAT BELTS HARD TO GRASP TO LATCH, FAMILY LOOKING"

"NORMALLY, A PRIUS V WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ON MY BUCKET LIST, BUT ONCE WE GOT THE CAR, I WAS SURPRISED AT HOW NICE THE CAR WAS. IT WILL NEVER BE CONFUSED WITH A CUDA OR ANY OTHER MUSCLE CAR IN LOOKS OR ITS 0-60 SPEED, BUT IT DID HAVE NICE PASSING SPEED AND WAS SMOOTH TO DRIVE. THE COLORADO SNOW NEVER GAVE IT A PROBLEM ON THE ROADS. AND THE GAS MILAGE, WELL IT WAS REALLY NICE TO ONLY FILL UP ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS OR SO. ALL IN ALL, IT IS A VERY NICE FAMILY CAR WITH PLENTY OF ROOM FOR LUGGAGE IN THE BACK. HANDS DOWN, IT WAS A GREAT PURCHASE"

i love this car

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "ease of use comfort and economy"

Cons: "the stereo speakers sound cheap"

"In 2007 i was in the market for an economical car I test drove the first Prius,I actually drove it over to the Honda dealer and looked at new Civics. The biggest problem with the first Prius was its high price,no incentives were available and dealers wanted more than sticker price the first Prius also had huge blind spots and the transition from electric to gas was a bit harsh and the technology wasn't proven reliable. same day we fell in love with and purchased the honda civic si sedan "32mpg sports car" SEVEN YEARS LATER At the 2014 auto show i met the Prius v. Instantly noticed the increase in roominess also gone was the huge blind spot! looked at the price and it was a bit high but decided to find one i could drive. At the dealership i found a certified used 2012v3 14000 miles for 10000 off msrp i bought it . Drove it 30 miles home. Next morning temp was 17 degrees heavy snow storm with 3-4 inches already on the road. decided to drive the prius anyway. My drive to work was 63 miles that day. i was totally impressed with the way the prius travels snow covered roads at speed. it never felt loose like my civic did with just a little snow. it didn't get stuck in the heavy plow rows at intersections and i felt comfortable at 50 mph with 4 inches of snow in the way. Best of all i figured out how to display my average mpg and it was 47.2 WOW i was expecting maybe 35 mpg at best in those conditions but this prius surpassed even its 40mpg hwy rating. top it off i love the fact that u never need to dig your keys out just walk up grab door handle it quickly unlocks automatically. Sit down,step on brake,press power,shift into gear and your off get where your going,stop,just press power and walk away the car sets the parking brake and powers down with the push of one large button on the dash even turns off the headlights after a few seconds if you wish to leave them on. FIND THE COLOR YOU LIKE AND BUY THE PRIUS-V!"