• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Toyota Prius v Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,039 - $28,301.

10/7.6

Based on 25 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

Excellent value

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, good handling"

Cons: "Has small car ride."

"Purchased new from dealer. Excellent reliability. Mileage almost always 40+. Lots of room for traveling and can hold full-sized golf bag easily. Power is more than adequate for interstate as well as rural mountainous driving. Only change I would make next time is getting the package that unlocks all doors with touch of drivers door (present car only unlocks drivers door) and built in navigation system."

Saved on gas but don't go over a bump!

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "comfortable ride and good on gas"

Cons: "too delicate for city driving. Repairs are insane"

"I have had the car for 2 months. Although it is great on gas and comfortable to drive, I discovered that if I go over a bump, pothole, speed bump, uneven surface, it can cause irreparable damage to the solid axle making it impossible to align the tires. I discovered this after going over a small bump. The tire deflated instantly and allegedly led to a minor bend in the solid axle which is not covered by a warranty. This needs to be replaced at a cost of over $2,000. This was a minor bump!!!!! I was told that this can happen driving in the snow also. Great car on a smooth surface--not so good in the city. So, I saved about $200 in gas but have a $2000 repair."

We just purchased this car and we love it!!!!!!!!!

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Price"

Cons: "Nothing"

"We bought this type because of its bigger interior and the back seats recline thats great for long road trips to OKC... Plenty of plug-in options for our devices. Another reason is we felt its more stable and better smoother ride than the regular Prius. So far no complaints. Right now we are getting above avg. gas mileage!!!!"

Love my Prius V with a couple of reservations

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable..roomy...good leg room"

Cons: "No automatic trunk release and auto close"

"Very surprised to learn that there was no inside trunk release or automatic close. I'm in my 70's and have trouble pulling the trunk closed..For the price of 27,000, I feel that is a serious flaw.. I am only getting 38.4 MPG..I bought the Prius for the mileage, but am disappointed that it does not reach at least 40 MPG.. It is also a bit noisy on acceleration, especially going up a hill..."

I really like this car

By on Monday, August 25, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, Bluetooth, roomy, has"

Cons: "No sunroof,"

"It has a great feel when your inside the car. Very roomy for everyone. The back seats recline back and move froward or back. I don't find the the cargo area cover very useful. It could be up higher to cover luggage or what ever you put in back. I find it in the way a lot. The car has plenty of cup holders. Roomy console and two glove-boxes, the back has some cool cubbies also. It drives pretty good. It does get good gas mileage. The MPG is really what they say it gets. My best overall trip was 43 MPG . My worst was 38 MPG. I found being in traffic that is bumper to bumper the car gets the greatest of mileage."

Great value - economical commuter car that 'hauls'

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, cheap to operate, technologically strong"

Cons: "Image, slow acceleration, handling just 'okay'"

"No one expects a Prius to be a hot rod, and it isn't. What's more, I am a very conservative individual and purchased the Prius for the selfish reasons of reliability and fuel economy - not 'green' concerns. (I had a loaded 4 door 4WD Tacoma prior.) The car doesn't disappoint. If you take it for what it is, the car is awesome. Lots of gadgets (I love gadgets), decent power, decent ride, TONS of carry space, quiet and comfortable (I'm 6'4" and 210 pounds). It's reliable and cheap to operate and I love it. Would I love to have a large pickup? Sure! But I don't carry large loads or pull a trailer - I commute back and forth to work - and the Prius V serves me well."

Great with wheelchairs!

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Pros: "More room than you think!"

Cons: "Little less gas mileage than the standard Prius :("

"I'm a disabled vet, and get around in a wheelchair. This Prius V 5 fits my large frame very comfortably even on long drives! My chair fits easily in the back, and my wife never fights it! Whether I'm driving with my hand controls, or as a passenger, it's as easy as rolling up to it, and simply transferring over, no fuss! We don't get the great gas mileage that the standard size Prius gets, but for us, it was more about the cargo room. We still averaged 35 mpg and I'll take that to the bank all day long!"

I will buy another one

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Pros: "Mileage, cargo capacity and comfort"

Cons: "A little boxy driving feel"

"For the money, it is well worth it. I do get the incredible mileage (up to 70 mph) and the cargo capacity is outstanding. It holds four adults with comfort. For this price range, the technology is outstanding in the package "5" level. I definitely would buy another one. I have recommended this car to friends and those that bought one have been very pleased."

Excellent value, large amount of cargo space.

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, handling, cargo space"

Cons: "Noise level, paint quality, Navigation System"

"PRIUS V: Excellent value with some quirks. PROS: Gas mileage (between 48 and 50 mph in the summer, between 32 an 36 in the winter).Lower battery efficiency in winter due to cold temperatures. Also constant running of heating system, forcing the gas engine to run more frequently. Road handling is excellent, the car feels very safe. Comfort is surprisingly good for such a car. Large cargo space (larger that my SUV). Interior: Good ergonomics at the console. Controls accessible and usually easy to manage with some exceptions. Three drink holders on front is helpful as well as two glove/storage compartments. Seats surprisingly comfortable. AV Interface and ergonomics mostly good with some exceptions: USB outlets are useful, BT syncing of any phone on AV system is good. Hands free phone is excellent. CONS: Noise level too high.To boost fuel economy, sacrifices were made in soundproofing. The car can be noisy, especially on rough surfaces. Paint quality: Because of weight control (that is my belief) the amount of paint applied to the car was reduced. On my Prius V, front of the car has paint scratches and dings due to small stones and other debris on the road.This should not be happening on a 10 month old car. According to Toyota, it is also due to the shape of the front bumper which sends back to the hood all of the junk collected ! Also tiniest shock on the car will immediately result in a small body scratch. Navigation system: I was warned. The GPS on the Prius is one of the worst. I agree: GPS is often getting confused, road algorithms are not efficient, reaction time is slow. For the price paid for such extra, one would expect a better GPS. No possibility to change voice as well and no real Text To Speech. GPS ergonomics not good with touch control on screen problematic and counter-intuitive. Radio controls: Standard radio is good. XM Satellite Radio is very good but too few XM/FM/AM presets available on radio. Radio controls are not always obvious. It take some time to get used to them, Another quirk on all Prius: It is very easy on newer Prius to leave the car on without noticing it. it has happened to me and to many others. I have to make sure to press the main control off prior to exiting the car. Taking the key with me will not disengage the On/Off switch. A friend's relative drove 100 miles to their house and they realized after arriving that they did not have their car key with them.... when trying to restart the car at a gas station. Tires: In order to save on fuel, Toyota chose middle of the road tires. Those Yokohama tires are a compromise between regular all-weather radials or specialized tires. Although the choice of those tires help with fuel efficiency, it becomes problematic during the winter as the car is not as good on snowing conditions as one would expect from a front wheel drive. All in all it is a good car. It is expensive but there are good deals to be made on new ones. It is almost impossible to find a used Prius, as owners don't want to part with them once they have one. The main point is, no one can beat 50 mpg..."

Great little car

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

Pros: "good little road car - packs up and performs nice."

Cons: "non"

"Bought this as our primary vehicle after driving vans for many years. It has done everything we expected including saving us about $250.00 monthly on gas. We have been all over the U.S. and 3 Canadian provinces (58,000 miles in 13 months) and have no complaints. will probably buy another one next year."

Excellent interior space and reliability.

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

"This is my second Prius and both cars have been completely reliable. No repairs needed, routine service only. The interior space is ample for back seat passengers. I take a lot of stuff with me on vacation, including a dog crate and it holds all I need. By using 91 octane gas with no ethanol I get mileage 10% over the sticker numbers, except in the winter when the engine runs more to keep the heater working. The car runs effortlessly at 75mpg on the interstates and feels much more drivable than when I used 87 octane with ethanol."

I would buy this same model again

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and fun to drive."

Cons: "No power driver seat, road noise"

"I will definitely buy this model again. It is roomy and economical. I drive a lot and enjoy the savings of fuel."

Excellent car. I will recommend it to anyone.

By on Monday, May 12, 2014

Pros: "Great drive"

"Fuel economy - excellent 51 city / 48 highway. One does save thousands on fuel. Handling excellent. Back up camera a blessing not to mention the surround sensor around the vehicle which prevent hitting objects. Over all rating, I give it a 10+."

EXCELLENT QUALITY CAR WITH EVEN BETTER GAS MILAGE

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "GAS MILAGE, QUALITY WORKMANSHIP, ROOMY, EASY DRIVE"

Cons: "SEAT BELTS HARD TO GRASP TO LATCH, FAMILY LOOKING"

"NORMALLY, A PRIUS V WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ON MY BUCKET LIST, BUT ONCE WE GOT THE CAR, I WAS SURPRISED AT HOW NICE THE CAR WAS. IT WILL NEVER BE CONFUSED WITH A CUDA OR ANY OTHER MUSCLE CAR IN LOOKS OR ITS 0-60 SPEED, BUT IT DID HAVE NICE PASSING SPEED AND WAS SMOOTH TO DRIVE. THE COLORADO SNOW NEVER GAVE IT A PROBLEM ON THE ROADS. AND THE GAS MILAGE, WELL IT WAS REALLY NICE TO ONLY FILL UP ONCE EVERY 2 WEEKS OR SO. ALL IN ALL, IT IS A VERY NICE FAMILY CAR WITH PLENTY OF ROOM FOR LUGGAGE IN THE BACK. HANDS DOWN, IT WAS A GREAT PURCHASE"

i love this car

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "ease of use comfort and economy"

Cons: "the stereo speakers sound cheap"

"In 2007 i was in the market for an economical car I test drove the first Prius,I actually drove it over to the Honda dealer and looked at new Civics. The biggest problem with the first Prius was its high price,no incentives were available and dealers wanted more than sticker price the first Prius also had huge blind spots and the transition from electric to gas was a bit harsh and the technology wasn't proven reliable. same day we fell in love with and purchased the honda civic si sedan "32mpg sports car" SEVEN YEARS LATER At the 2014 auto show i met the Prius v. Instantly noticed the increase in roominess also gone was the huge blind spot! looked at the price and it was a bit high but decided to find one i could drive. At the dealership i found a certified used 2012v3 14000 miles for 10000 off msrp i bought it . Drove it 30 miles home. Next morning temp was 17 degrees heavy snow storm with 3-4 inches already on the road. decided to drive the prius anyway. My drive to work was 63 miles that day. i was totally impressed with the way the prius travels snow covered roads at speed. it never felt loose like my civic did with just a little snow. it didn't get stuck in the heavy plow rows at intersections and i felt comfortable at 50 mph with 4 inches of snow in the way. Best of all i figured out how to display my average mpg and it was 47.2 WOW i was expecting maybe 35 mpg at best in those conditions but this prius surpassed even its 40mpg hwy rating. top it off i love the fact that u never need to dig your keys out just walk up grab door handle it quickly unlocks automatically. Sit down,step on brake,press power,shift into gear and your off get where your going,stop,just press power and walk away the car sets the parking brake and powers down with the push of one large button on the dash even turns off the headlights after a few seconds if you wish to leave them on. FIND THE COLOR YOU LIKE AND BUY THE PRIUS-V!"

Great value

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "great price and an easy drive."

Cons: "Not a sun-roof."

"Light silver exterior with black cloth interior. Easy vehicle to enjoy. 41.2 - 45.0 mpg."

Nice ride and fuel economy

By on Monday, December 02, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Fuel economy"

Cons: "NO DRL no customer support"

"Great ride and fuel economy. You must check before you buy if you want the Daytime Running Lights. Toyota does not place these in all models. A major safety flaw."

Big guy in a mid-size car works with Prius V

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Comfort, Storage, Technology"

Cons: "Not a jack rabbit"

"Purchased new in mid-2012, I now have 35,000 miles on this great vehicle. Overall I average 43.5 MPG with a high of 51. I'm not a lead foot, but I'm also not driving Miss Daisy. I also love the significant rear storage room. At 6'3 250 I fit comfortably behind the wheel and find this vehicle extremely comfortable and quite on the open road. With multiple passengers, my 6'2 son fits comfortably in the rear seat due to the seat adjustment forward and tilt. The Nav system, blue tooth etc., is awesome. Because I drive a Prius V, I continue to take some ribbing from my friends who get 12-14 MPG from their big trucks and SUV's...but at the end the day, I am saving hundreds of dollars each month at the gas pump! Prius V...great vehicle all-around."

Excellent Mileage, Roomy, Comfortable

By on Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfort, storage, versatility"

Cons: "One dial controls fan, mode, temperature"

"My family of 5 downsized from a mini-van. The Prius v is perfect for us. One family member who is 6'1" actually prefers to sit in the back seat as there is plenty of leg room and the rear seats recline. We've taken this car on vacations with our dog kennel and can fit all our luggage just fine. I laugh every time I fill up because I'm saving hundreds of dollars on fuel compared to our mini-van. As far as the rear back up beeping, you can ask the dealer to shut that off so it only beeps once, then stops. Field of vision in this car is great, no bad blind spots. We got the base model and it still has great features including bluetooth. It takes no time at all to get used to the features of a hybrid. I've owned this car for six months and I love it. I think everyone should drive a Prius v!"

Worst toyota ever had

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "nth to say when compare with the same money RAV4"

Cons: "more space can be had in this size"

"I have own hilux, toyota light truck ,caldina and many generation of toyota corolla since 80s 90 ,97 , to 2007 corolla matrix. But for the prius I wish I had rather buy 2013 RAV 4. Before I bought the prius ,I had 2010 honda insight which is 42 mpg easy acheive and fun to drive .As i am toyota customer, i thought it would be much better than honda .So i bought prius V with panoramic roof.But after eagar to test my mpg i full the tank up to the top and reset the trip meter to zero. the mpg i get when i divide the mileage by gallan was only around 37.4 mpg from LA to San Diego (72 mph average) .In the city the active mpg changing dramatically down and up to around 30 to 99 (may be electric motor only working for 99Mpg)no matter how gently u press the pedal with avg mpg showing 39.8(in the city)which should get more for hybrid in city. need to turn off eco to keep with the traffic flow in the city and take so long to get to 30mph unlike honda insight with eco turn on all time. In the freeway with cruse the car used power bar to highest everytime encounter small upland and the active mpg is unstable even in the flat freeway 35mpg to 40+ changing all time which my honda never happen . it is hard to keep with 70 mph traffic as the mpg keep falling down and very slow, with avg mpg 37 heavily maintain not easy acheive .But i notice sth if i drive around (on the way to Las Vegas) 81 to 82 mph with the cruse ,the change in power struggle when encountering a small high land is unnoticeable the mpg i get was 40+.I thought this may be because of high temperature or 80mph is the critical point of the engine where power is readily available so no need to struggle for gas. In the morning when coming out of drive way i heard screeching sound ( some metal is rubbing against metal)come out from motor in EV mode as tire rotate round by round 2mph with no gas paddle press. And My car stop showing EV mode(the word EV inscribe in the car icon ) in instrumental penal and eco light stop lighting for ever. SO i am surprise when people said the mpg is higher the Posted EPA figure on the review. the worst toyota i ever had but i dont regret getting toyota since it will last upto 300k miles but i regret i dont choose RAV4 since prius has no power (even smaller engine honda is more agile then more hp and torque prius ) this prius stop me from buying a toyota hybrid (camry) again and made me wait for coming soon accord hybrid. the mpg never come to 38 when keeping with traffic flow on freeway"

Great small SUV feel with fantastic gas mileage

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "small suv,good value & space,reliable,comfortable"

Cons: "backup alarm"

"I owned a 4Runner for 10 years (and 260,000+ miles) before buying my Prius V. I needed the storage space but did not want the price tag or gas mileage of a typical SUV. The Prius V offered many of the SUV features that I enjoyed over the years. My Prius V has taken the family camping to many places over the past 1 1/2 years, including a couple that were over 6 hours away. I added a hitch and bike rack for added flexibility. Even fully loaded with gear for a trip I can get about 40MPG out of it. I never got that out of my 4Runner. The only thing I lost from going to the Prius V from my 4Runner was a little space in the back, mostly in height. I gained much more leg room in the back seat, over 2X better gas mileage, better leg room for driver, and it can even climb hills with when fully loaded. I miss the daytime running lights that my 4Runner had but I just leave the lights on all the time and they auto shut off after 30 seconds so I treat it like daytime running lights. Overall, the car has great gas mileage, the reliable Toyota quality, ample space and is a fantastic value for a small SUV. After 32K+ miles I am still happy with my decision to replace my 4Runner with the Prius V rather than a RAV4."

MPG's vs. negative features/poor design

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Reason: MPG didn't compensate for undesirable features

Pros: "drives well, good back seat leg room"

Cons: "GPS, seat leather, backup alarm, seats 4 not 5"

"side mirrors reflect air vents and dashboard thus obstructing view in heaving traffic, depending on the light (sun) you cannot read the GPS, car seats four not five adults, no sliding in/out on this leather, radio is difficult to use, no auto on headlights during daylight driving, front seats are difficult if not impossible to adjust to a comfortable setting backup alarm stays on when car is in reverse and does not change as you get close to another car or object..."

Excellant storage, comfort and mileage

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "mileage, comfort, storage"

Cons: "radio"

"Owned since Jan 2013 with 6k miles. Let me just tell you some of the things that influenced my decision. First, it can handle five adults,and has the storage depth, height and overall volume of small SUVs and larger wagons. The MPG is spectacular - 47 mpg in mixed suburban and highway driving at max speed levels in the warmer months. Like most cars, when the winter fuels are available then it goes down by 10-12%. The V model rides higher then the standard Prius by almost an inch - does not sound like a lot but has made a big difference. Also, the V has better ride quality then the standard Prius, I have owned both. The seat comfort is above average, I judge this by the fact that I can drive over three hours with no discomfort to my 60+ body. Fit and finish are very good, Although I wished the series 5 had a better radio. If you have not driven a standard Prius then you cannot appreciate the full rear window view that the V has. At this time I believe the Prius V is in a class by itself and I am very satisfied with it."

Excellant storage, comfort and mileage

By on Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Pros: "mileage, comfort, storage"

Cons: "radio"

40+ mpg with small suv size

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "price, space, reliable, options, fun to drive"

Cons: "plastic feel, motor sound when pushed"

"Many people question why I paid so much for a hybrid. I said they should consider why people pay so much for a small suv? This car has about the same interior space and quality and gets 40+ mpg for the same price. If more people looked at facts and less at popular press they would see 30K for fully a loaded suv is a value and knowing it'll go 200K+ with minimal issues is why Toyota has it's quality reputation. We have been happy with the decision and paying $30 to go 400+ miles feels great. I love quality cars and the steering feel is ok but it is a very fun car to drive. It's a pleasure to take your time and trying to run in electric only makes driving game like. In the end I would say it's a great option if you don't push the engine hard and want an inexpensive but fun way to get from point a to point b."