• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2014 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,933 - $18,638.

10/7.7

9.3

Based on 64 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

9.8/10

So Much to Love About this City Car!

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"I love my Prius c! The gas mileage is AMAZING. Easy to park and zip around town. Don't let the size fool you. Fold down the back seats, and you have unexpected large cargo space. Plenty of cup holders and compartments. Controllers from steering wheel and Bluetooth functionality are really the cherry on top. A great value."

Cheap Commute for 40 mile Round Trips

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "Mileage / Warranty /Fit and Finish / Features"

Cons: "Slow Accel to Save fuel / Crazy "Other" drivers"

"I bought this car because I became tired of paying $4.10 for a gallon of premium for my 2003 Dodge SRT-4 and only getting 23 mpg tops in it since I bought it new. When I bought the SRT-4 back in 2003 premium gas was only $1.60 a gallon. Then Katrina hit and the petrol market exploded on prices and has never recovered. With this new sipper I can save over $30 a week on my commute to work, and save the rest to have fun in my 280hp turbo SRT-4 on weekends, or once in awhile at the track. I got the best warranty toyota offered @ 8 years / 125,000 mile warranty so if it breaks it is not my problem... its toyotas. I will repost my findings as of now my car only has 250 miles on it. but so far the power is plenty to get me from A TO B w/o beating my wallet up at the pump. I am still waiting for elio to produce their 84mpg car to buy. Maybe next year."

Best small car

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "High mpg, smooth drive, sporty view"

Cons: "Low power"

"Three years ago, we test drove a Prius but we didn't like it. It was noisy on highway and the cargo size was something between small and medium. During the last 4 months, I test drove Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus (Sedan), Nissan Versa, Hyndi Elantra and Accent, and Honda Fit and Civic. Ford Fiesta has a small backseat but unfriendly dashboard, however the dive was better than Honda Fit; more horsepower with a better dynamic. Ford Focus backseat was not significantly different from Fiesta's but the drive was smoother. I didn't expect that much of wind noise from the legendary Civic EX. Even though it looks like Versa offers a bigger space, its interior was not as sporty and as live as other cars and the power was comparable to Prius C. Both Elantra and Versa are quite powerful with more interior option at a lower cost but the rear view was not good at all. Compared to Fiesta and Focus, Prius C offers a bigger backseat, smoother drive, less road noise, a much better interior, almost no blind-spot, and more options (Bluetooth and automatic climate control with air filter for all trims). I really like the drive; much better than the original Prius that we test drove 3 years ago. The Prius C cargo space is smaller than all other cars but if you buy one for what it's built for --City, you don't need that much of cargo space. I have gotten up to 70mpg in city and an average of 54. Such a high mpg is due to a small engine; nonetheless, The power is good enough to get you on highways and turn fas on the road crosses. It's better to have the right amount of power than to have too much of it and that's why you can save money in long run. According to my calculations and considering EPA mpg and available discounts for above cars, 5-years cost to own of Fiesta or Focus were just couple of hundred cheaper than Prius C's (gas price = $4), so it all depends if you need more power or you think that the gas price will go higher and you want to save couple of hundreds. In general, I am very happy with my choice."

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage and the info display..."

Cons: "slow take off."

"The Prius C is great for the ECO friendly driver. The info display will have you curious for many days because of all of the many features. Overall a great car! The only down side is that if you are looking for a car with a lot of take off power then this is not the car for you."

Cold Weather

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "Gas Savings, Reliability, Price Range"

Cons: "Lack of power"

"I own this car since August 2012. I live in Wisconsin. I didn't know what to expect and was not a great fan of Toyota brand. I owned Dodge & Nissan vehicles previously. But my view changed after owning this car. On an average mileage during winter/snow I got from 45 to 55miles per gallon. This is during Dec/Jan/Feb/March. Mileage improved after that & now my monthly average is over 60miles. I've got 85 to 99 on short trip down hill some times. Note that this is with mix of single and riding with family. I'm totally happy with this car. One thing I would suggest Toyota is to improve the power on Prius C and extend its electric drive mode range to 55 from 40."

Prius C Two has delivered more than I expected

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, price, fun to drive"

Cons: "not a race car, front cup holder/dashboard design"

"I bought this car going into a new job where I knew I'd be commuting apprx 60 mi round trip per day. This car has been spectacularly fuel efficient, averaging 52 mpg+ and sometimes 62 mpg. There are a ton of great features included on the Two kit. It doesn't accelerate especially fast, but when buying a car for efficiency it's not going to be a race car. Right after I purchased this car I drove it 2,200 mi cross country and it did really well. The seats didn't hurt my back at all after sitting in it for 3 solid days. Handled 75 mph well, did get a bit blown around during high wind gusts but nothing too outrageous for such a small car. It's a dream to parallel park! Love the way the bluetooth automatically connects with my iphone to play music. One of the best features (that I didn't even pay attention to when buying) is the ability to add in the price of gas, it even auto-prompts you when you fill up. The computer calculates your cost per trip - super cool! It also has a great display that can help you achieve even better fuel savings (I've gotten up to 82 mpg). I really love this car, have not regretted the choice once, and would totally recommend it. I think one of the main things I love about the car, is I'm pretty sure its smarter than me! Haha! For example, it won't let anyone adjust any major settings if the car is moving. It's a smart lil car! My only random complaints: - the car doesn't beep when you use the fob to lock it so I'm often nervous it isn't locked - the layout of the left cup holder & the dashboard makes it so you often scrape it when the driver puts a to-go cup down"

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Gas sipper, quality car, It's a Toyota"

Cons: "Window tint could be darker"

"I was skeptical about the car after reading the Consumer Reports review, but I bought one anyway. I love this car. I commute 79.8 miles a day and I am averaging 52mpg while driving the speed limit of 75mph. I am super impressed with this car and not only for it being a gas sipper. I am able to maintain 75mph on interstate and it has enough power to pass other vehicles too. There is enough power to make it a good commuter. If you take it up a hill from a dead stop, it will struggle a bit but I power through it and my little car responds. If I wanted a sports car or Chevy Silverado, I would have bought one. I wanted a reliable, safe, quality, gas saver car that would retain its value and I bought one. Hey, I can fit my Lhasa, Maltese and 85lb Rottweiler in the back seat with no problem. When my friends ride along, they tell me there is plenty of space in the back. So space is no problem. My mom and dad want one too. I only wish my car would have come with darker window tint but that is easily fixed."

Best mpg I have ever seen

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "great gas mileage fun to drive"

Cons: "Radio does not have much bass"

"I had a ford fusion before this car. I find the prius c to be a better car all the way around. If you are looking for a fast car you will not like this car. The prius c is a little under power. I can be up to 70 mph when getting on the highway so it works for me top speed is about 108 mph.I have 7000 miles on the car and the over all avg mpg is 50 mpg the best I have seen is around 60 mpg in the city and 48 to 52 on the highway at 70 mph.The ac lowers your gas mileage by about 7 mpg but with the ac on I still get 44 to 48mpg so it is still good. The seats are pretty good I have the prius c 2. Road noise is a little loud but the tire seem to be the problem but all and all I am very happy with the car. It has never had to go back to the dealer for any problem the fusion I had was in for service 7 times in 30,000 miles"

Nice Package: Good Value, Super Handling, Green!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Saving Planet. Design, Economy, Versatile, Cute!"

Cons: "Not a Ferrari"

"I am a Realtor and of course I do a lot of city, stop and go, and short trip driving. When I went shopping for a hybrid or other high mpg (fuel efficient) car I started out looking at used hybrids or new, small econ cars. I really wanted to keep it below $20,000 AND have incredible gas mileage. After several weeks of test driving and frustration I discovered the Prius C - What a great value compared to the standard Prius! I estimate that I am saving about $150 a month in gas expense vs my (Turbo)Subaru. Years down the road when my car payment is done this will make a huge difference in my quality of life - that extra $150 to $200 a month! For maximum fuel efficiency, the acceleration takes some getting used to, physically and psychologically. I had an Audi A4 years ago, and then a Subaru with a turbo. So, I was used to having power and superior handling at my fingertips. There is enough power, when needed, in this vehicle - but the whole dynamic is different and a driver needs to anticipate acceleration when possible. However, cluing in to the gauges and learning how to get maximum efficiency has, in general, changed my driving style. It's fun to challenge myself and try to get 59 mgp on the flat, short trips. Long down-hills, like coming out of the mountains or off the foothills, it's WAY FUN to see the trip meter read at 78 to 99 mpg. The handling of the "C" class I found far superior to the older, (used), regular Prius versions. (I test drove several) and the turning radius, control, and steering is GREAT in this car. Aside from lacking pure, raw acceleration this baby DOES drive like a little sports car at city street speeds (15-45). It's not so impressive on the highway but performed better than several Honda's (stiff, bumpy ride), the Ford Fiesta, anything from Kia or Hyundai. Cabin design and the split-seat hatchback are incredibly versatile, and I've been able to get all kinds of large or bulky items into my Prius C with no problem at all. I even moved a medium size piece of antique furniture! Overall, I am happy with the Toyota Prius C - but the proof will be in the pudding long term. If I am still praising the quality in 5-10 years, and watching my gas dollars go farther than anyone else as gas approaches $5 a gallon again (it will), I expect my satisfaction with this vehicle to only grow from here."

Farm girl loves it

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas savings with comfort & good looks"

Cons: "Minor aerodynamic noise in specific conditions"

"I'm driving my new Prius c (model 2) for the past 8 months. I have 12K miles on it and I continue to love it. I am not a "green" person; I bought it because I'm thrifty. Monthly gas costs went from $300 to $75. Yay! I am mostly getting 56 mpg on average. I heard I might get less mpg in the winter (I live in PA), and it did drop a bit when it got below freezing, but I am still thrilled. It doesn't have "schwoop" to get into fast moving traffic, but I adjust. 5'10" tall hubby is happy with it too, as his concern was would he bump his head on the liner. I studies all videos I could find on it before buying it, i.e. how to drive it, etc. I was overly concerned. You just get in and drive. IF you want to squeeze out even better mileage, you pulse & glide. Also, I barely do city driving, which would give the best mpg. I'm all over country roads & highways. I'm an empty nester, and it suits me fine. There's only 1 thing I dislike, but I made an adjustment: When driving around 55mph with all windows down, I get this rumble noise. It's an aerodynamic issue. So I adjust the windows to eliminate it. But that's it. I am a very happy camper and would definitely buy another."

Absolutely love it

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "none!"

"When looking at all of the other reviews they all say the same thing. Great great great gas mileage. Usually people experience an even higher mpg rating than the 50 average. I drive over 50 miles a day on the highway and have seen as high as 64mpg at speeds greater than 60mph with an average speed for the trip being ~48mph. I am kind of an aggressive driver. People complain about the lack of power but I find it sufficient to get up and go when needed. I am almost always the first one off the line at a stop light and cars almost never pass me on the highway. So if you need anything with more power than what you can get here then everybody else on the road must be a race car driver. I find it handles rather well even when taking turns at 25mph--better than my previous car. People talk about wind noise but I haven't had an issue with it. I actually think it is less than my 2010 corolla doing the same daily commute. I have given people rides and they say they love it. I am 6' tall and have no issues getting in and out and others have had no complaints about passenger space being about the same height. Maybe if the person is morbidly obese they would have an issue fitting but I think that could be said about all vehicles this size. I can't think of anything negative to say about driving this car."

I love this car

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, Mileage, Reliability."

"I have had the car for almost 11 months now. Mine is a Prius C, 2 with 16,000 miles. Mostly used as a daily commuter, 75 miles round trip. The gas mileage is unreal and the reliability is typical Toyota. Not one problem or issue since purchasing brand new. I love this car and won't part with it soon. If I were to buy a new version it would be a 3."

Exactly what I was looking for.

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "Awesome."

"It's rated at 46 to 53. My first tank of gas (holds 9.5 gals) took me 474 miles. If you drive it like Toyota suggests, you get great mpg's. My combined mileage was 56 mpg, which included a trip through the White Mountains. Sure it's under powered in the Mountains, but I don't live in the mountains, I visit them once in a while. If you want a fast car, don't look for a Hybrid. If you want great mpg's then here it is. It's fun to drive. I wanted a new Ford Fiesta, until I drove one, then I drove this and the rest is....."

Not a sports car

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliable, easy to maintain"

Cons: "Sluggish, uncomfortable seats"

"If you are looking for basic, reliable and economic transportation look no further, if you want a sports car look elsewhere. Gas mileage in the city (Miami) averages around 50 mpg. On long highway trips I get about 46 - 50 mpg depending on speed an AC usage. The care seems very reliable and is easy to work on (oil changes, plugs, brakes, etc.). The seats are not the most comfortable. The layout is good, roomy interior, enough leg room. The engine is a bit sluggish when you really need acceleration but that's to be expected."

SUPERB VEHICLE

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Gas savings pays for the car"

Cons: "Interior fabric and colors could use improvement."

"Drove a BMW 3 series. This C Two saves me about $392/month in fuel costs. So, the way I look at it - the car pays for itself! My actual MPG are much higher than Toyota states. I get 72 in town and 45 on the highway. The only thing I would change about the car is the interior, it's all black/gray fabric - leather should be an option. I just ordered a new one, paid $1100 additional for leather."

Great Little Car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "Unbelievable fuel milage, safety rating"

"This is the best fuel miser out there. I’ve had absolutely no problem accelerating away from clumps of traffic coming off of red lights. These professional reviews that call it slow and noisy are not taking into account what the car is designed for, and are overly critical in areas that the driver enthusiast may consider unacceptable. I paid for an economical vehicle that was comfortable to drive with advanced hybrid technology and that is exactly what I got."

Turtle Power

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, price"

Cons: "acceleration from 40 to 65, goofy stock look"

"This is a rating for a model 1. Coming from someone who owned much faster cars before, the Prius C is a humbling experience. It will force humility if you have none while trying to get onto highways. It goes from 0-35 or so just fine but getting it to the next level is an exercise in patience. This car definitely feels much more comfortable on the street. I'd rate this car on the street 10/10 when considering fuel mileage but highway 2/10. It's that much of a difference. If you're ever entering a highway where you're immediately tossed on the runway, do not try to out-speed anyone. The much vaunted fuel mileage is what this car is all about. After slamming the car to see what it could do for about 400 miles, finally got to the point where I needed to fill up around 450 with a mixture of street and highway driving. I'm now at 500 driving like a human being and still with a full tank. It is also a small tank, 9.5 gallons to fill so all your gas price fears evaporate instantly upon purchase. Aesthetically this car is underwhelming but definitely has mod potential, which is why I went for the cheapest model so I can make my own adjustments for the right price. A 16 inch light weight alloy wheel and a drop of about a few inches would make a world of difference and not effect gas mileage since standard rims are heavy fuel efficient steal. The blue tooth hooked up beautifully with my iphone with no issues. Speakers don't have much bite at level 1 though. Might get something aftermarket. If you're used to cruise control, don't think about buying this car without it. I'm a man on the taller side (6ft) and the gas pedal is very small! Smaller than any car I've ever been in, covers about half my foot and feels funny pressing down or holding any speed. Never been a cruise control guy but the small pedal almost makes me wish I got the feature. All in all, great car. Every gripe I've had cannot compare with the fuel economy and the price I paid for it. Haggle a bit, you should at least get 1000 off the MSRP. If you don't, walk out! They'll change their tune. :)"

Best car in my view

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Fuel mileage, fun to drive, great technology"

Cons: "no auto headlights and no rear view camera"

"2013 Prius C version 3. Car is a dream to drive with gas mileage that's unbelievable even over my previous vehicle, the Corolla. Averaging about 55 mpg combined, usually over 60 in the city. Model 3 has the on screen navigation and Etunes. There may be too much tech on this car as I'm often distracted by it. Two options I wish it had and can't understand why Toyota didn't include is automatic headlines (the Corolla had this standard), and a rear backing camera which I guess the Australian versions had."

Love Love Love

By on Thursday, May 02, 2013

Pros: "Great Value, Fun Ride, and Amazing Gas Mileage!"

Cons: "None that I haven't already figured out."

"I was a Subaru fanatic until I found this car. About a week before working a 70+ hour work week due to a job change, and moving into a job where a reliable vehicle is a must, my 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback died on the Interstate. I was devastated, but wanted to invest the $5000 to get it back to almost new condition. Some words of wisdom from family, friends, and coworkers got me at least considering the idea of purchasing a new car (my Subaru has never died on me and I will still say that it was worth it to put the money into it... but...). I got out and started looking at all of my different options. I looked at new cars, used cars, then finally decided to take a look at some hybrids since they are so economical. WOW! The Prius C blew me away. It's cuter than a full-sized Prius and it's a car I'm not embarrassed to drive. While there are some downsides: the dash and driver's cup holder being awkwardly placed to the point that a drink will "bump" the dash when you put it into the cup holder, the seats are a little hard, and the car does not have as much get-up-and-go as I would have liked... plus they don't make hybrids in a manual version. However, I have learned to overcome all of these and am extremely happy with my choice. I tilt drinks ever so slightly, purchased some cushioned seat covers, and have learned to enjoy the ease of an automatic transmission. When paired with my killer gas mileage, quick maneuvering capabilities (hello amazing parallel parker!), and the fact that the car can definitely keep up on the highway or around town, I believe I made a wonderful choice and have not regretted it once in the few weeks that I've owned this gem of a vehicle. Plus... it's so quiet that sometimes I feel like it's not even running."

The future is NOW !

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "Very easy to drive, great on gas even on highway!"

"I am 48 years old and one entry in my bucket list goes "Drive a hybrid car" before I am no longer capable of driving. I did interviw a lot of taxi drivers driving the larger Pruises and it was interesting to note that none of them had any negative comment about their vehicle. They give the Prius very high regard for driver comfort, reliability and its long lasting battery (most of them have clicked over 100K miles) and just like that pink bunny...it just keeps going..and going!! This pretty much added to my desire to get one. Then the vehicle gods gave me a better option with the youngest member of the Prius brood. The "C" variant. So far I am averaging 54mpg. So far so good! I got the top-of-the-line model Prius C. It has all the bells and whistles you'll find in a luxury car like push button start. The built in Navigation system and hands-free blue tooth connectivity is top notch! The many ways the car's computer tells you how much gas you are consuming (or saving) and the throng of other infotainment at your fingertips is just mind blowing! (They say this model was brought in from Japan as CBU) On the downside, it may be not that responsive coming from a stop light (this is not good for people who jack-rabbit start). As they say - this car was built for mpg, not mph. But on the upside - my wife now has better peace of mind knowing that I spend less time on the fast lane =) Thank you vehicle gods! One less entry in my bucket list."

Love it

By on Friday, April 05, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage"

Cons: "small size"

"We are not small people and we have gone from Cincy to Minneapolis, from Cincy to Albany NY, from Cincy to Gettysburg, from Cincy to Clearwater, Fl in reasonable comfort and great music. This car gets such great mileage we are more than happy to drive in a manner that's not exactly luxury, but reasonable comfort. We have a 2012 and really love it. The "smug" factor is great ;- ) Btw, we are both over 55."

WHAT A DEAL

By on Thursday, November 08, 2012

Pros: "EVERYTHING"

Cons: "NOT THAT I CAN FIND"

"PURCHASE THIS CAR ON 11-5-12. WITH GAS PRICES NEAR $4.00/GAL. AND I KNOW THAT THEY WILL NEVER GET BACK TO WHAT THEY WERE A FEW YEARS AGO--I WANTED SOMETHING FOR THE FUTURE. I AM ON A FIXED INCOME AND MY PREV. CAR GOT AROUND 20 MPG. I TOOK THE PRIUS C (2) OUT FOR A TEST DRIVE--AND WAS SOLD. IT WILL TAKE ME AWHILE TO FIGURE OUT ALL THE DISPLAYS THAT I CAN BRING UP ON THE SCREEN. I PURCHASED THE CAR FOR $20034 WHICH INCLUDED CARPETED FLOOR MATES AND REAR BUMPER PROTECTOR ( OPTION'S ).I ALSO PURCHASED A HITCH ( TO CARRY BICYCLE'S ) WHICH I WILL INSTALL MYSELF ( $119.00 ON EBAY ). THE NO MAINT. PROGRAM FOR 2 YEARS OR 25,000 MILES IS A NICE FEATURE ALSO. I DID BY THE 7 YEAR/100,000 BUMPER TO BUMPER SERVICE PLAN ( $1,000 TAX INCLUDED ), SO SHOULD BE ALL SET FOR AWHILE.THIS MAY NOT BE A FAMILY CAR--BUT FOR ONE OR TWO PEOPLE AND THERE TOYS--IT WILL DO. REMEMBER IT'S ALL ABOUT SAVING MONEY. THE RIDE IS VERY GOOD ( IT'S A WIDE CAR ) , SO YOU HAVE THE ROOM--YOU DON'T FEEL TIGHT INSIDE."

Not great in winter. No insulation.

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Feeling green."

Cons: "Poor cabin heat. Poor mpg in winter."

"This car gets great gas mileage in the summer - mid 50's on a 95% hwy drive of 126 miles daily. In the winter it gets in the high 30's. They tell me it's normal and because of winter mix gas. Also, when it is cold, the heater doesn't start until you have gone at least 5 miles. They tell me that is also normal. A plug in heated seat cushion is a life saver ($10 at Menards). The road noise is awful. I'm sure I'm damaging my hearing by cranking the radio up so far so I can hear it. I'm hoping a different brand of tires will help. I haven't had any mechanical problems but I hit a raccoon and that caused $1600 damage because it is so low to the ground. It is sluggish and I feel vulnerable driving on the freeway with semis."

Designed for the city, but great anywhere!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "MPG, great turning circle, fun to drive"

Cons: "I'd like about 2 inches more leg room in the front"

"If you're looking for great MPG, look no further. Summer MPG: average 58+, winter MPG: average 44+ (exceptions: high humidity and below zero temperatures, which affect all cars' MPG...take 10 MPG off each). It's not as spacious as the original Prius (which I also owned), but it is comfortable, though tall (over 6 feet) people need not apply, and four adults and one small child can be accommodated. Highway speeds, though I do not condone speeding can be achieved, but MPG is reduced (less 10 MPG+ over 70 mph), and high winds will affect sway. Like most small cars noise can be excessive, but the radio can be heard. Owned this PriusC-2 for 19 months and no repairs have been needed. Rear seats fold down for extra room in back. Cruise control is very exact and the engine brake works well in slowing the car down, even from highway speeds."

More than you would expect

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pros: "Mileage"

"Traded in my 4 year old Yaris for the extra 50% gas mileage. I've not been disappointed, averaging over 50MPG. There are also a lot of extras (power windows, bluetooth,...) in the car that i wouldn't expect to find in a car designed to be the lowest cost hybrid. One thing to note is the engine warm-up. The mileage is only about 30mpg for the first (warm-up) mile. After that the mileage increases to nearer 60mpg. One negative note I've read is that it lacks power. It's true that it will take you a couple more seconds to get on the freeway and it's not my first choice for passing, but it alway has enough power to keep up with traffic and powers up and down the mountains here at 70mph. It's also as fast 0-30 as any car I've owned (it's the electric motor torque). I was pleasantly surprised the first time I floored it from a dead stop to merge with some traffic. Overall this car is much more than i expected from a car costing less than $20k."