2014 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,415 - $18,243.

10/7.7

9.3

Based on 73 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

9.8/10

Best choice I ever made for a car!

By on Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Pros: "Great Gas Mileage, Easy to Drive, Fun, Comfortable"

Cons: "None right now!"

"I was not sure about switching from a Jeep Patriot to a Prius C because my Jeep did so well in the snow! However, I used to own a Yaris and I never got stuck in the snow so I think it is mostly about the driver with small cars (unless a massive snow storm hits). I will find out in the winter how it does. But from the month I have had this car I have only filled the gas tank once and I have 605 miles on it. So, I used a tank and 1/3 to get 605 miles, I think that is amazing! The EPA rating is pretty accurate if you drive fairly normal and go more than a couple miles each time you are in the city. However, if you are slow to accelerate (on purpose) you can get so much more. The best I have gotten in the few miles I do drive around to get to work was 83 mpg in the city. Also, the highway miles have not been accurate for me. I drive about 53 mph everywhere because that gets the best gas mile for me and the best I have gotten on the highway was 70 mpg. This is almost 30 mpg more than the EPA estimate!!! I will say the power would be noticeable to someone going from something bigger and with a nice engine in it, but since I have had small cars up until my jeep the power did not seem bad. It has good get up and go even compared to having my jeep. The interior is very comfortable. I am an average height of 5'6 and the seat fits my back perfectly so it supports it. I had to get used to kind of "hopping" down into the car instead of just hopping in, but it is not so low you are struggling to get in and out. When I test drove it I had myself, my fiance and the salesman in the car and everyone had decent leg room. Even if you are in the passenger seat you can pull the glove box down and not be cramped for space. That is without the seat being all the way back either. I loved the color options being so bright! In my old yaris is was black so at night it was hard to see me coming and cars would often cut me off or almost push me off the road. However, now with the sun fusion yellow paint people see me coming and often slow down or wait for me to pass instead of cutting me off! I have the Prius C Two and from what I had before it was such an upgrade! I have a touch screen that has bluetooth for my phone to make calls, read text messages, and play music. The system to make calls works great I never fell like I am yelling and when I say a name it gets it right the first time, all the time! I would say that if you want to save gas and/or help the environment but do not want an all electric car this is the way to go! It is super reliable and has great warranties on the parts and the hybrid battery (8 years for your battery alone)! This was the best decision I made and I am so happy with everything about the car! I am going to keep this car until it cannot run anymore and then probably get another prius c if they still make them that is!"

By on Friday, July 27, 2012

Pros: "Gas sipper, quality car, It's a Toyota"

Cons: "Window tint could be darker"

"I was skeptical about the car after reading the Consumer Reports review, but I bought one anyway. I love this car. I commute 79.8 miles a day and I am averaging 52mpg while driving the speed limit of 75mph. I am super impressed with this car and not only for it being a gas sipper. I am able to maintain 75mph on interstate and it has enough power to pass other vehicles too. There is enough power to make it a good commuter. If you take it up a hill from a dead stop, it will struggle a bit but I power through it and my little car responds. If I wanted a sports car or Chevy Silverado, I would have bought one. I wanted a reliable, safe, quality, gas saver car that would retain its value and I bought one. Hey, I can fit my Lhasa, Maltese and 85lb Rottweiler in the back seat with no problem. When my friends ride along, they tell me there is plenty of space in the back. So space is no problem. My mom and dad want one too. I only wish my car would have come with darker window tint but that is easily fixed."

Best mpg I have ever seen

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "great gas mileage fun to drive"

Cons: "Radio does not have much bass"

"I had a ford fusion before this car. I find the prius c to be a better car all the way around. If you are looking for a fast car you will not like this car. The prius c is a little under power. I can be up to 70 mph when getting on the highway so it works for me top speed is about 108 mph.I have 7000 miles on the car and the over all avg mpg is 50 mpg the best I have seen is around 60 mpg in the city and 48 to 52 on the highway at 70 mph.The ac lowers your gas mileage by about 7 mpg but with the ac on I still get 44 to 48mpg so it is still good. The seats are pretty good I have the prius c 2. Road noise is a little loud but the tire seem to be the problem but all and all I am very happy with the car. It has never had to go back to the dealer for any problem the fusion I had was in for service 7 times in 30,000 miles"

Best small car

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "High mpg, smooth drive, sporty view"

Cons: "Low power"

"Three years ago, we test drove a Prius but we didn't like it. It was noisy on highway and the cargo size was something between small and medium. During the last 4 months, I test drove Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus (Sedan), Nissan Versa, Hyndi Elantra and Accent, and Honda Fit and Civic. Ford Fiesta has a small backseat but unfriendly dashboard, however the dive was better than Honda Fit; more horsepower with a better dynamic. Ford Focus backseat was not significantly different from Fiesta's but the drive was smoother. I didn't expect that much of wind noise from the legendary Civic EX. Even though it looks like Versa offers a bigger space, its interior was not as sporty and as live as other cars and the power was comparable to Prius C. Both Elantra and Versa are quite powerful with more interior option at a lower cost but the rear view was not good at all. Compared to Fiesta and Focus, Prius C offers a bigger backseat, smoother drive, less road noise, a much better interior, almost no blind-spot, and more options (Bluetooth and automatic climate control with air filter for all trims). I really like the drive; much better than the original Prius that we test drove 3 years ago. The Prius C cargo space is smaller than all other cars but if you buy one for what it's built for --City, you don't need that much of cargo space. I have gotten up to 70mpg in city and an average of 54. Such a high mpg is due to a small engine; nonetheless, The power is good enough to get you on highways and turn fas on the road crosses. It's better to have the right amount of power than to have too much of it and that's why you can save money in long run. According to my calculations and considering EPA mpg and available discounts for above cars, 5-years cost to own of Fiesta or Focus were just couple of hundred cheaper than Prius C's (gas price = $4), so it all depends if you need more power or you think that the gas price will go higher and you want to save couple of hundreds. In general, I am very happy with my choice."

Prius C Two has delivered more than I expected

By on Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pros: "gas mileage, price, fun to drive"

Cons: "not a race car, front cup holder/dashboard design"

"I bought this car going into a new job where I knew I'd be commuting apprx 60 mi round trip per day. This car has been spectacularly fuel efficient, averaging 52 mpg+ and sometimes 62 mpg. There are a ton of great features included on the Two kit. It doesn't accelerate especially fast, but when buying a car for efficiency it's not going to be a race car. Right after I purchased this car I drove it 2,200 mi cross country and it did really well. The seats didn't hurt my back at all after sitting in it for 3 solid days. Handled 75 mph well, did get a bit blown around during high wind gusts but nothing too outrageous for such a small car. It's a dream to parallel park! Love the way the bluetooth automatically connects with my iphone to play music. One of the best features (that I didn't even pay attention to when buying) is the ability to add in the price of gas, it even auto-prompts you when you fill up. The computer calculates your cost per trip - super cool! It also has a great display that can help you achieve even better fuel savings (I've gotten up to 82 mpg). I really love this car, have not regretted the choice once, and would totally recommend it. I think one of the main things I love about the car, is I'm pretty sure its smarter than me! Haha! For example, it won't let anyone adjust any major settings if the car is moving. It's a smart lil car! My only random complaints: - the car doesn't beep when you use the fob to lock it so I'm often nervous it isn't locked - the layout of the left cup holder & the dashboard makes it so you often scrape it when the driver puts a to-go cup down"

Farm girl loves it

By on Sunday, January 13, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas savings with comfort & good looks"

Cons: "Minor aerodynamic noise in specific conditions"

"I'm driving my new Prius c (model 2) for the past 8 months. I have 12K miles on it and I continue to love it. I am not a "green" person; I bought it because I'm thrifty. Monthly gas costs went from $300 to $75. Yay! I am mostly getting 56 mpg on average. I heard I might get less mpg in the winter (I live in PA), and it did drop a bit when it got below freezing, but I am still thrilled. It doesn't have "schwoop" to get into fast moving traffic, but I adjust. 5'10" tall hubby is happy with it too, as his concern was would he bump his head on the liner. I studies all videos I could find on it before buying it, i.e. how to drive it, etc. I was overly concerned. You just get in and drive. IF you want to squeeze out even better mileage, you pulse & glide. Also, I barely do city driving, which would give the best mpg. I'm all over country roads & highways. I'm an empty nester, and it suits me fine. There's only 1 thing I dislike, but I made an adjustment: When driving around 55mph with all windows down, I get this rumble noise. It's an aerodynamic issue. So I adjust the windows to eliminate it. But that's it. I am a very happy camper and would definitely buy another."

Absolutely love it

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "none!"

"When looking at all of the other reviews they all say the same thing. Great great great gas mileage. Usually people experience an even higher mpg rating than the 50 average. I drive over 50 miles a day on the highway and have seen as high as 64mpg at speeds greater than 60mph with an average speed for the trip being ~48mph. I am kind of an aggressive driver. People complain about the lack of power but I find it sufficient to get up and go when needed. I am almost always the first one off the line at a stop light and cars almost never pass me on the highway. So if you need anything with more power than what you can get here then everybody else on the road must be a race car driver. I find it handles rather well even when taking turns at 25mph--better than my previous car. People talk about wind noise but I haven't had an issue with it. I actually think it is less than my 2010 corolla doing the same daily commute. I have given people rides and they say they love it. I am 6' tall and have no issues getting in and out and others have had no complaints about passenger space being about the same height. Maybe if the person is morbidly obese they would have an issue fitting but I think that could be said about all vehicles this size. I can't think of anything negative to say about driving this car."

Cold Weather

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "Gas Savings, Reliability, Price Range"

Cons: "Lack of power"

"I own this car since August 2012. I live in Wisconsin. I didn't know what to expect and was not a great fan of Toyota brand. I owned Dodge & Nissan vehicles previously. But my view changed after owning this car. On an average mileage during winter/snow I got from 45 to 55miles per gallon. This is during Dec/Jan/Feb/March. Mileage improved after that & now my monthly average is over 60miles. I've got 85 to 99 on short trip down hill some times. Note that this is with mix of single and riding with family. I'm totally happy with this car. One thing I would suggest Toyota is to improve the power on Prius C and extend its electric drive mode range to 55 from 40."

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage and the info display..."

Cons: "slow take off."

"The Prius C is great for the ECO friendly driver. The info display will have you curious for many days because of all of the many features. Overall a great car! The only down side is that if you are looking for a car with a lot of take off power then this is not the car for you."

Nice Package: Good Value, Super Handling, Green!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Saving Planet. Design, Economy, Versatile, Cute!"

Cons: "Not a Ferrari"

"I am a Realtor and of course I do a lot of city, stop and go, and short trip driving. When I went shopping for a hybrid or other high mpg (fuel efficient) car I started out looking at used hybrids or new, small econ cars. I really wanted to keep it below $20,000 AND have incredible gas mileage. After several weeks of test driving and frustration I discovered the Prius C - What a great value compared to the standard Prius! I estimate that I am saving about $150 a month in gas expense vs my (Turbo)Subaru. Years down the road when my car payment is done this will make a huge difference in my quality of life - that extra $150 to $200 a month! For maximum fuel efficiency, the acceleration takes some getting used to, physically and psychologically. I had an Audi A4 years ago, and then a Subaru with a turbo. So, I was used to having power and superior handling at my fingertips. There is enough power, when needed, in this vehicle - but the whole dynamic is different and a driver needs to anticipate acceleration when possible. However, cluing in to the gauges and learning how to get maximum efficiency has, in general, changed my driving style. It's fun to challenge myself and try to get 59 mgp on the flat, short trips. Long down-hills, like coming out of the mountains or off the foothills, it's WAY FUN to see the trip meter read at 78 to 99 mpg. The handling of the "C" class I found far superior to the older, (used), regular Prius versions. (I test drove several) and the turning radius, control, and steering is GREAT in this car. Aside from lacking pure, raw acceleration this baby DOES drive like a little sports car at city street speeds (15-45). It's not so impressive on the highway but performed better than several Honda's (stiff, bumpy ride), the Ford Fiesta, anything from Kia or Hyundai. Cabin design and the split-seat hatchback are incredibly versatile, and I've been able to get all kinds of large or bulky items into my Prius C with no problem at all. I even moved a medium size piece of antique furniture! Overall, I am happy with the Toyota Prius C - but the proof will be in the pudding long term. If I am still praising the quality in 5-10 years, and watching my gas dollars go farther than anyone else as gas approaches $5 a gallon again (it will), I expect my satisfaction with this vehicle to only grow from here."