• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2013 Toyota Prius c Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,264 - $17,996.

10/7.8

9.3

Based on 55 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

9.8/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Can't go back to lower gas mileage vehicles.

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "Great for everything but cargo."

Cons: "golf clubs dont' fit width wise"

"Surprisingly comfortable on long trips. Handles and accelerates better than I expected. Gas mileage? - I'll never be able to go back to a car getting less than 40 MPG (I'm getting 50 now, and that leaves me few choices. But I'll definitely move up to the larger model (from the C)because I miss being able to put my golf clubs in sideways, instead of folding the rear seats to fit them long ways."

Awesome Gas Mileage

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Can't beat the gas mileage"

Cons: "Sounds like it labors uphill but it can handle it."

"Yes the rating is true. I get 57 mpg in the city and 47 on the highway under 70 mph. About 42 mpg at 80 mph or more, and this is in the mountainous Colorado terrain (pretty good). On level ground my highway mileage is about 48 mpg. This car is awesome, small and a great turning radius. It is a little peppy as well considering it only has 99 hp.It is a bit of a rough ride on rough surfaces but what can you really expect for a compact. I am impressed and I shopped long and hard to find a good deal. I found one for $17,200 because it had hail damage, but they fixed it. Minor blemishes hardly noticeable on the yellow paint job. Great deal great car!"

best mileage for price

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "great car for the price"

Cons: "no camera, power seat. poor ride on rough roads"

"only negative; rides like a truck."

Bigger is not better

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy. Practical. Sporty. Tech marvel."

Cons: "Small storage space"

"The car is a little small but it is comfortable. Acceleration will not blow you away but it is more than acceptable when going from stop light to stop light. Lots of gadgets for the tech savy. Nice to complete a trip to the store and see you got 76 mpg. Nice to cruise in the neighborhood on electric alone. Comfortable ... rather sporty. I would buy it again."

Nice little car

By on Saturday, August 02, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, style"

Cons: "small trunk area"

"50.1 mpg. Nice little car. Gets me where I want to be without draining my wallet."

Best Car I've Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "price, fun to drive (geek factor)"

Cons: "people will bug you to trade it in"

"I love everything about this car except the height of the driver's seat. I got the c2 and it is not adjustable. I have learned to live with it. I average 63mpg over the whole year. I do not run the heat or air-conditioning whenever possible---it uses fuel for heat and NiMH-storage for the AC. I use the "B" like a jake-brake is used in a tractor-trailer and it fills in for slowing down to a stop before (or perhaps not having to) apply the brakes. It is less wear and tear on the brakes and the "B" function adds more juice to the storage battery. I don't give a fig for "tearing out" of places or passing people on the streets or highway. I drive the speed limit or slightly under and let all the crazies who want the stress of passing me to go ahead and have that stress. I got this c2 for the price of a c1 as a c1 was not available where I live. Of the 3 extra dumb things that I didn't want to pay for in a c2, I use one: the tonneau top for the hatch opening. But, I could just as easily live without it. I plan to never trade this baby in. :-)"

solid vehicle for price.

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Price, Value & MPG"

Cons: "Seats & acceleration."

"I'm rather picky on what I call nice, because I've sold Cars before. For what I paid for the car, it is way more bang for your buck than buying a full Prius. Now I've drove a standard Prius as a demo car for about a week & loved it, it was a fully loaded Prius 3. Going from a standard Prius to a Prius C is a big change. you lose a lot of what was considered Prius only character. The Prius C looks more like a Toyota Yaris than its big brother Prius. With the price you get a great value but loose some comfort & styling. however you'll keep the famous Prius MPG & acceleration, only at a cut in Quality. I would Recommend it to almost anyone who always leaves in a timely manner & doesn't need to speed."

Turtle Power

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "fuel economy, price"

Cons: "acceleration from 40 to 65, goofy stock look"

"This is a rating for a model 1. Coming from someone who owned much faster cars before, the Prius C is a humbling experience. It will force humility if you have none while trying to get onto highways. It goes from 0-35 or so just fine but getting it to the next level is an exercise in patience. This car definitely feels much more comfortable on the street. I'd rate this car on the street 10/10 when considering fuel mileage but highway 2/10. It's that much of a difference. If you're ever entering a highway where you're immediately tossed on the runway, do not try to out-speed anyone. The much vaunted fuel mileage is what this car is all about. After slamming the car to see what it could do for about 400 miles, finally got to the point where I needed to fill up around 450 with a mixture of street and highway driving. I'm now at 500 driving like a human being and still with a full tank. It is also a small tank, 9.5 gallons to fill so all your gas price fears evaporate instantly upon purchase. Aesthetically this car is underwhelming but definitely has mod potential, which is why I went for the cheapest model so I can make my own adjustments for the right price. A 16 inch light weight alloy wheel and a drop of about a few inches would make a world of difference and not effect gas mileage since standard rims are heavy fuel efficient steal. The blue tooth hooked up beautifully with my iphone with no issues. Speakers don't have much bite at level 1 though. Might get something aftermarket. If you're used to cruise control, don't think about buying this car without it. I'm a man on the taller side (6ft) and the gas pedal is very small! Smaller than any car I've ever been in, covers about half my foot and feels funny pressing down or holding any speed. Never been a cruise control guy but the small pedal almost makes me wish I got the feature. All in all, great car. Every gripe I've had cannot compare with the fuel economy and the price I paid for it. Haggle a bit, you should at least get 1000 off the MSRP. If you don't, walk out! They'll change their tune. :)"

Same mpg as liftback prius but cheaper!

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Excellent MPG, Sporty, Many Utility Uses"

Cons: "No PHEV option available yet"

"The real world average mpg of the Prius C is equivalent to the original liftback Prius. The price tag, however, is significantly lower. The base model comes standard with cloth seats which require care to avoid dirt/stains. It will be nice if future generations of the Prius C plug in like the PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) Prius. Overall, the Prius C is a Ridiculously Good Value!"

Best bang for your buck car...

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Pros: "MPG!!!, easy to park, feels really solid for size"

Cons: "No love on the freeway"

"We bought this car brand new Sept. 2013 and we love it so far. Owned it about 7 months and my husband does heavy driving on this car for work. We've put close to 11,000 miles on it already. He averages around 48mpg highway and street driving combined. It only takes about $32 to fill up the tank and lasts him all week. I have no complaints when it comes to the savings we have with gas. We got the two year complimentary toyotacare so it has cost us nothing to maintain the car either. We have the c4 so we have the navigation. It works for us, but the screen is a little dim and small. We also wish Toyota didn't add the weird lines all over the car cause it just looks like someone scratched the interior and the seats. It's a design flaw. The back head rests are also a little big for the car and becomes a blindspot. Overall though, love love love this little car."

Great ca very good mpg

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

I own this car

Pros: "Great MPG alot of features and options."

Cons: "Slow pick up and can have bumpy ride on highway."

"Very good MPG I have got as high as 57 mpg and as low as 45 against the wind in cold weather. The fit and finish is very good and navigation system easy to use. Radio apps work real well. Great car."

Cheap Commute for 40 mile Round Trips

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pros: "Mileage / Warranty /Fit and Finish / Features"

Cons: "Slow Accel to Save fuel / Crazy "Other" drivers"

"I bought this car because I became tired of paying $4.10 for a gallon of premium for my 2003 Dodge SRT-4 and only getting 23 mpg tops in it since I bought it new. When I bought the SRT-4 back in 2003 premium gas was only $1.60 a gallon. Then Katrina hit and the petrol market exploded on prices and has never recovered. With this new sipper I can save over $30 a week on my commute to work, and save the rest to have fun in my 280hp turbo SRT-4 on weekends, or once in awhile at the track. I got the best warranty toyota offered @ 8 years / 125,000 mile warranty so if it breaks it is not my problem... its toyotas. I will repost my findings as of now my car only has 250 miles on it. but so far the power is plenty to get me from A TO B w/o beating my wallet up at the pump. I am still waiting for elio to produce their 84mpg car to buy. Maybe next year."

So Much to Love About this City Car!

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"I love my Prius c! The gas mileage is AMAZING. Easy to park and zip around town. Don't let the size fool you. Fold down the back seats, and you have unexpected large cargo space. Plenty of cup holders and compartments. Controllers from steering wheel and Bluetooth functionality are really the cherry on top. A great value."

Spartan Fuel Miser

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Great mpg"

Cons: "Very sluggish acceleration; seats not supportive"

"Having owned a Gen 2 Prius, tried the new sibling of the Prius family, the Prius C ~ which has been noted to have exceptional gas mileage of 48-50mpg. My experience ~ 50% gridlock Boston traffic and 50% highway (driving fast - not conservative) - overall mpg of 43mpg. Definitely superior gas mileage, but not as expected.....spartan front dash is simple and easy to navigate...plenty of room with the back seats folded down (more than anticipated). However, acceleration is tortoise-like at best. Very slow. But gets up to speed on the highway and can easily cruise at 80pmh. For reliability and mpg, the Prius C can't be beat. But if you love to drive, and want a more comfortable ride (the front seats are adequate, but not supportive after an hour+ driving time - no lumbar support, and strains the neck)...there are plenty of other alternatives."

Not great in winter. No insulation.

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Feeling green."

Cons: "Poor cabin heat. Poor mpg in winter."

"This car gets great gas mileage in the summer - mid 50's on a 95% hwy drive of 126 miles daily. In the winter it gets in the high 30's. They tell me it's normal and because of winter mix gas. Also, when it is cold, the heater doesn't start until you have gone at least 5 miles. They tell me that is also normal. A plug in heated seat cushion is a life saver ($10 at Menards). The road noise is awful. I'm sure I'm damaging my hearing by cranking the radio up so far so I can hear it. I'm hoping a different brand of tires will help. I haven't had any mechanical problems but I hit a raccoon and that caused $1600 damage because it is so low to the ground. It is sluggish and I feel vulnerable driving on the freeway with semis."

Designed for the city, but great anywhere!

By on Saturday, February 01, 2014

Pros: "MPG, great turning circle, fun to drive"

Cons: "I'd like about 2 inches more leg room in the front"

"If you're looking for great MPG, look no further. Summer MPG: average 58+, winter MPG: average 44+ (exceptions: high humidity and below zero temperatures, which affect all cars' MPG...take 10 MPG off each). It's not as spacious as the original Prius (which I also owned), but it is comfortable, though tall (over 6 feet) people need not apply, and four adults and one small child can be accommodated. Highway speeds, though I do not condone speeding can be achieved, but MPG is reduced (less 10 MPG+ over 70 mph), and high winds will affect sway. Like most small cars noise can be excessive, but the radio can be heard. Owned this PriusC-2 for 19 months and no repairs have been needed. Rear seats fold down for extra room in back. Cruise control is very exact and the engine brake works well in slowing the car down, even from highway speeds."

Best combination of compact looks and fuel economy

By on Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Pros: "Reliable as all toyotas are."

Cons: "A little pricy for a compact car."

"Has plenty of power for a fuel efficient compact car. Tight fit and finish. Ride as expected for a compact car. Quiet highway ride and handles well on the highway."

Affordable, convenient car

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "great gas mileage, dependable"

Cons: "slow, no bells and whistles"

"This car has been great for getting all of the small parking spaces that others can't get in the city. It is fast when it needs to be but about 50mpg. It is super quiet like other hybrids. Doesn't have all of the bells and whistles, but it has blue tooth. Looks very sporty. Back seat is small, but not as small as the IQ, smart car, fiat, or other cars of its type."

Nice Package: Good Value, Super Handling, Green!

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pros: "Saving Planet. Design, Economy, Versatile, Cute!"

Cons: "Not a Ferrari"

"I am a Realtor and of course I do a lot of city, stop and go, and short trip driving. When I went shopping for a hybrid or other high mpg (fuel efficient) car I started out looking at used hybrids or new, small econ cars. I really wanted to keep it below $20,000 AND have incredible gas mileage. After several weeks of test driving and frustration I discovered the Prius C - What a great value compared to the standard Prius! I estimate that I am saving about $150 a month in gas expense vs my (Turbo)Subaru. Years down the road when my car payment is done this will make a huge difference in my quality of life - that extra $150 to $200 a month! For maximum fuel efficiency, the acceleration takes some getting used to, physically and psychologically. I had an Audi A4 years ago, and then a Subaru with a turbo. So, I was used to having power and superior handling at my fingertips. There is enough power, when needed, in this vehicle - but the whole dynamic is different and a driver needs to anticipate acceleration when possible. However, cluing in to the gauges and learning how to get maximum efficiency has, in general, changed my driving style. It's fun to challenge myself and try to get 59 mgp on the flat, short trips. Long down-hills, like coming out of the mountains or off the foothills, it's WAY FUN to see the trip meter read at 78 to 99 mpg. The handling of the "C" class I found far superior to the older, (used), regular Prius versions. (I test drove several) and the turning radius, control, and steering is GREAT in this car. Aside from lacking pure, raw acceleration this baby DOES drive like a little sports car at city street speeds (15-45). It's not so impressive on the highway but performed better than several Honda's (stiff, bumpy ride), the Ford Fiesta, anything from Kia or Hyundai. Cabin design and the split-seat hatchback are incredibly versatile, and I've been able to get all kinds of large or bulky items into my Prius C with no problem at all. I even moved a medium size piece of antique furniture! Overall, I am happy with the Toyota Prius C - but the proof will be in the pudding long term. If I am still praising the quality in 5-10 years, and watching my gas dollars go farther than anyone else as gas approaches $5 a gallon again (it will), I expect my satisfaction with this vehicle to only grow from here."

Not a sports car

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliable, easy to maintain"

Cons: "Sluggish, uncomfortable seats"

"If you are looking for basic, reliable and economic transportation look no further, if you want a sports car look elsewhere. Gas mileage in the city (Miami) averages around 50 mpg. On long highway trips I get about 46 - 50 mpg depending on speed an AC usage. The care seems very reliable and is easy to work on (oil changes, plugs, brakes, etc.). The seats are not the most comfortable. The layout is good, roomy interior, enough leg room. The engine is a bit sluggish when you really need acceleration but that's to be expected."

Can't be beat on the market for MPG 58 average.

By on Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pros: "Saving in fuel fantastic. Loaded with options."

Cons: "Leg space in back if front seats all way back."

"Good value for small comfortable riding vehicle. Back seating a little cramped if long legged people in front seats. For short trips (8 hours or less) the vehicle is great for the trip. I haven't gone longer but don't see a problem. West Virginia Mountain traveling, the MPG goes to 48-50 MPG. Plenty of power to climb the mountain highways."

Amazing mileage!

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Mileage!"

Cons: "Hard seat"

"I rented this car for a trip from San Diego to Tucson and back, a distance of about 450 miles. It took ONE tank of gas to get to Tucson, the light was flashing at me when I drove into town. The trip back took more. The car had 22,000 miles on it, and there was quite a bit of wind noise and rattles. Without stopping to read the owner's manual, it took me until I was almost home to find the gauge with the outside temperature. It is located by the shifter, and I was looking on the mirror, window, and dash which seems more logical. Also, I never did find a direction indicator. The seat was very uncomfortable for a long drive, something this car should shine at. There is nothing plush or upscale or cushy about the interior, it is bare-bones."

Over all a good item.

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

I want this car

Pros: "Mileage is great and car is very relable."

Cons: "poor confort on long road trips."

"Great mileage, not a good road car for trips over 250 miles."

Best car in my view

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Fuel mileage, fun to drive, great technology"

Cons: "no auto headlights and no rear view camera"

"2013 Prius C version 3. Car is a dream to drive with gas mileage that's unbelievable even over my previous vehicle, the Corolla. Averaging about 55 mpg combined, usually over 60 in the city. Model 3 has the on screen navigation and Etunes. There may be too much tech on this car as I'm often distracted by it. Two options I wish it had and can't understand why Toyota didn't include is automatic headlines (the Corolla had this standard), and a rear backing camera which I guess the Australian versions had."

Great Hybrid

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

"Great car and great MPG"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next