2011 Toyota Matrix

8.3

Based on 91 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Awesome Matrix !

By on Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Just bought the Matrix today, and love it. The power steering, roomy interior and trunk, with trunk cover is really cool. Also, has nice details (for pens, paper holder on top), cool sunroof, AWD, side view defroster, and has a nice, strong, stable feel to it. Great for kids too ! Good job Toyota !!!!"

A Lot better than the 2005 Model

By on Monday, May 5, 2008

"Like the power steering , the ride, the volume of the trunk?, the only thing I found is the the distraction of the reflection in the windshield and the right rear blind spot. Just took a trip and averaged 31 MPG, not bad at 70 MPH."

best car ever

By on Saturday, September 6, 2008

"I'm 39 and this is the best car I have ever bought. 95k miles and going strong. I love it."

Love this car! Great deal and great gas milage!

By on Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pros: "Gas milage, no bad blind spots, AUX port"

Cons: "The issue with the delayed start up"

"This is my first car I bought for myself and have been completely happy with it! The gas milage is great and the interior is spacious and flows well. I was surprise how spacious the back seat is. I am 5'9 and have plenty of room in any seat I sit in. My friend is 6'1 and can sit comfortably in the back seat. The only issue I have had with this car is a delayed start up. I have taken it to Toyota and they can't figure out the problem. Of course my car starts up right away when they try. Figures! But they haven't charged me for bringing it in and looking at it and have paid for a tow I needed once when something went wrong. I can't tell you exactly what it was because I'm not good with cars."

Reliable, 32mpg, good cargo space, long drive-able

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "good value, roomy, great stereo"

Cons: "weird cup holders, only one charge outlet"

"I do a lot of 10hr drives in this car. It is absolutely reliable, big enough to shove in a dining room table and comfortable enough for a 6ft tall person. The miles are racking up quickly, and I seem to be in for regular service every 6 weeks, but I have confidence taking it through the mountains in the middle of the night in the winter. Great little car. Only regret is not getting the 2.4L engine."

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Love this car"

Cons: "Small blind spot"

"The only downside is a slight blind spot in the drivers rear view mirror. I have used Mobil One and changed the oil every 5K this improves gas milage, and I have not had one problem with this car. Changed the tires at 50K; my bad should have rotated the tires! Sames set of brakes at73K!"

great value

By on Sunday, December 21, 2008

"We bought the Matrix awd due to our long and very cold winters and the fact our cities and towns due a very poor job of maintaining the streets we just returned from a trip in the country the temp was minus 40 C the car is warm keeps the windows clear and plows snow like crazy we LOVE this car wish i could afford another one"

Great little car.

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Great little car for around town. Pros-Great gas milage -Reliable -Easy to handle, parking, in traffic -Hatchback is very handy -Easy to get in and out Cons-Road nioise -Doors sound tiney -Ride is fair"

love her

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

"not a single problem in the first 25000 miles and hopefully will be like this for a long time."

Whole Lotta Car

By on Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"I just purchased a new 2010 AWD Matrix less than a week ago. I don't feel I can give a completely accurate review yet as I haven't had the car long... but so far I LOVE it. This car is a huge upgrade for me. I previously owned a 2003 Saturn ION. The Matrix feels solid and handles beautifully. The thing that amazes me most is how much larger the car feels when you're sitting inside it. On the outside it looks cute and sporty. Yet on the inside it is very roomy, and I don't feel like I'm sitting on the ground when I'm driving it. I live in New England and I drive a lot. I can't wait for the first snow storm to see the AWD difference! I learned how to drive on a Toyota, and I'm happy to be a Toyota driver again! So far I am a very happy customer."

Toyota Matrix caught on fire

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I own this car

Pros: "It was fun to drive before it burst into flames"

Cons: "Potential for fatalities, lack of concern by manuf"

"Bought this vehicle new from the dealer. It drove great, had great maintenance record. At 24k miles it started smoking, the dash lights lit up and the brakes failed. I used my emergency brake to stop, exited the car and it burst into flames. Investigators believe it to be the ECM/Fuse panel. Toyota refuses to accept responsibility because the ECM/Fuse panel is destroyed. I've owned 3 Toyota's and had 20 yrs of loyalty to their company. No more."

great value

By on Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"had car about 9 months,love it, i drive 100 miles a day 5 days a week, all highway, gets an average of 30-32 mpg, very satisfied with that, car is comfortable to ride in, has nice stereo for its price range and roomy interior, only thing i dont like when i close the doors it sounds tinny, but overall i do love this car, have had no problems with it at all, has the telescoping steering column which i really like"

Great car, it's like a Corolla wagon

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Handling, braking, sporty looking, roominess, safe"

Cons: "a loose plastic panel, vanity mirror cover problem"

"I like the car. I had to find a car to replace my 18 year old sports car, and I knew it would be a big adjustment to go from an 8 cylinder luxury car to something with a smaller engine and in theory, not as luxurious. I chose the correct car for the adjustment. I really tried hard not to like the car, but I really like it. It has very good "get up and go" for when you need to get onto a busy freeway or for passing someone. I like how it handles. The AWD on wet, sometimes a few inches of water covered roads plus the stability/traction control were options I'm glad this car has. Some people may not feel the amount of gas it uses justifies the option, but it does for me when it comes to safety since I'm in a very wet climate. I think it gets good gas mileage, but I had a V8 so I'm probably not the best judge of that. I'm sure there are cars that get better mileage, but for the options and features that this car has, you'd probably have to pay a lot more in a small SUV or other wagon. Now the best part, it's a small wagon! I never thought I'd be excited to own a "station wagon", but it's really nice. The seats lay all the way down flat and you can put pretty much anything back there. Even dogs and stuff you have to buy for everyday life. It has little hooks to hook grocery bags to so that your stuff doesn't go rolling everywhere (genius!) and it even has a place to tie bigger things down if you move the removable carpet/mat. I love having a 4 door again, I'd forgotten how much I like them. Only a couple of bugaboos that you'll keep hearing over and over: Road noise. Yes, it's there, sort of like how it is in most cars this style (or even in small trucks), but it doesn't bother me because my husband is always playing music so loudly, I can barely hear anything unless I'm by myself, then I notice it. But I don't find it annoying. Some people may not like it. Also, my driver side vanity mirror cover won't close. It's a little sliding piece of plastic that won't slide back. It's not something you can see unless you're driving and want to look in the vanity mirror. It's just an uncovered mirror now. And, since I bought it used, there's a piece of plastic that keeps coming loose (easily snapped back into place) between the front door/back door and the frame. Hard to describe the location, but it's right under where the seat belt joins to the car frame. I'm sure if I took the time to jiggle it into place properly or see if it needs to be screwed in or something, it's just not that big of a deal and I'm always in a hurry so if it happens to pop out, I just pop it back into place. Like I said, I bought it used, so it's probably something the former driver banged out of place and never got screwed back in. Anways, I like the car. If you are looking for value for the money, roominess without owning a larger car for your family, dogs, etc this car will be great for you. It's comfortable, the dashboard and all the features look great, it handles like a dream. The steering and braking on this car are above average. And wait til you have to park in a crowded parking lot! It's so great for tight spaces and getting in and out of crowded lots without hassle. I love having a smaller vehicle."

Some design flaws...

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Looks modern. Easy access. Good MPG & Cargo space."

Cons: "Noisy. Poor vision. Slow Acceleration."

"NEGATIVES- Underpowered. Poor Vision forward and especially towards rear. Handling is just fair. It has way too much road and wind noise, ordinary conversations are difficult at highway speeds. When stopped, wind whistles through gaps in rear hatches gaskets, (haunting sound.) Rear wheel disc brakes are extremely costly to replace. No cargo cover, we have to use a blanket to try to hide purchases. NO SPIN-ON OIL FILTER, (HAS INFERIOR CARTRIDGE, VERY POOR DESIGN, LONG ABANDONED BY CAR MAKERS YEARS AGO!) POSITIVES- Very easy to get in and out of. Lots of cargo space. Steering and brakes have pleasant feel. Looks like a modern SUV. Headlamps do a nice job. Front seats are comfortable, read, satasfactory. Good MPG."

Good Commuter

By on Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pros: "Peppy and handles well, AC plug is great"

Cons: "Cup holders are awful."

"This is my second Matrix. I drive a long commute and this is always a pleasure on the highway. Lots of power when I need it. I do miss the window hatch in the back that my 2005 had. Also, Toyota has not yet mastered the cup holder. Only the narrowest cup really sits securely in the console."

Awesome Car

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"I absolutely love this car! I went from an Echo to the Matrix S with little issue. The car handles wonderfully on the HWY. The dealer added cruise for me, and this boosted my HWY MPG to 34-36. The only thing I will miss is the amount of storage space my Echo had. The Matrix does not have all the extra cubbies. The matrix is bigger and bulkier than my Echo was, but handles surprisingly well. It accelerates smoothly... almost too smoothly... lol. I love it and am sooooo happy with it!"

Idle & Knocking Problems

By on Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Within 3 months I noticed paint peeling and chipping on sideboard drivers side. At a car wash, I was using wand to wash and paint began to peel right off. Dealer repainted, no problem. Now, 1 year later the engine rattles like marbles in a tin can from right side while a idle. The check engine came on and I took it in. Dealer reset the computer but did not fix the rattle because they could not reproduce it. The didn't want to take the time to let the engine heat up properly to test it, so I had to pick it up. Ten minutes after picking it up and driving home it began to rattle at a stop light. I am sick of the thing already. I will be trading it in as soon as I get it paid down to what it's really worth."

Good little car

By on Friday, August 9, 2013

"Great gas milage, handles well, not bad to look at and reasonable room. Greatest weakness is just a little cheap"

Very happy

By on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pros: "good value, fun to drive, fuel efficient"

Cons: "not enough space for car seats"

"This car has given me no trouble other than required mantainance and is very fun to drive. I love the fold down seats so I can items from the home store transported with ease. Overall great car!"

Ok car. Test drive it first before buying.

By on Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pros: "Drives well, plenty of power."

Cons: "Low gas mileage. Noisy. Small problems."

"Bought this car thinking it would get good mileage as our 08. The 2.4 though does not even come close. A warning if this is a reason to buy. The car has plenty of power though and runs well. Plenty of room in the back. I have had the radio problem other people have talked about as it goes blank when over heated. Also have the dash board rattle and am unable to find it. The low profile tires are ok but do not protect the rims from curbs if you bump them and make alot of noise. Only one recall so far on the window switches. Over all no major problems and is a good basic car. As I said I would take this car for a long test drive before buying and would not get the 2.4 if you want good mileage for that size car."

Toyota Owner for life now!

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pros: "Fast, safe, great gas mileage, roomy, reliable"

Cons: "No AWD option for Manual Trans."

"I bought this car a year ago next month. It is the best car I have ever purchased! I have owned Nissan, Volvo, and Subaru and while all were great cars, this one has everything that I could want. I bought the 5 speed manual instead of the Automatic even though doing so meant I gave up AWD. I don't regret it. I didn't have a single problem getting through any storm up here in the North Country with my FWD, although if they made a 5 speed with AWD I would have bought that. The gas mileage is excellent! The backseat is also very roomy and comfortable when I have a car full of kids and/or adults. Don't let the outside fool you, there is a TON of room inside! If you need to move a lot of stuff, the back seat fold down flat and you can fit tons of stuff!! I used to drive a pick up and also an SUV and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything with having this wagon! Any excuse I have to drive it, I take it! BEST CAR EVER! I will be a Toyota driver for life!"

poor performance

By on Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"This car has been a big dissapointment for me. The power to climb a hill is poor. It is very noisy inside. The interior is minimal and the fabric stains very easily. For the winter weather I had to invest in snow tires. The tires don't do well when it rains and the stability on interstae highways is very poor."

Finally Toyota!

By on Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Pros: "great power up mtns in WNC, good feel on curves"

Cons: "Can't think of one"

"I wanted a Toyota for YEARS and finally I got my own after so many friends and family raved about theirs and kept them Forever! 2nd owner, I bought it with 8K in Nov 2009. I got the basic model with manual transmission and I LOVE it. It has lots of power and I love shifting down on those tight curves and back up, passing everyone else. My mpg has been as advertised. My lab and 2 teenage boys fit in just fine with me. I got power and cruise controls but regret not having a roof rack so got a Yakima rack with basket cage that works great. Heat and air perfect. Never had a single issue with this car."

It is what it is.

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

Pros: "Versatile"

Cons: "needs pore pizazz"

"Interior materials are subpar for the class. Toyota uses hard plastics although it is attractive. Good mpg. Lots of room in the back, especially when you fold the two back seats down. S models passengers seats fold down; base models don't, however. Typical Toyota in terms of safe exterior styling. The ride are handling are great. It cuts into corners well and also absorbs the potholes. I recommend it!"

Best car I ever had

By on Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pros: "good gas mileage, stylish, low maintenance"

"Bought a 2004 new and traded it in for a new 2010. Love this car! Handles very nicely in snow. No problems mechanically with either model year. My 2004 had to have the battery replaced at 100,000, but that's about it. Great value and gas mileage for the cost."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next