2010 Toyota Matrix

8.3

Based on 91 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Reliable. Economical. Versatile.

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Reliable. Economical. Versatile."

Cons: "Miss cruise control a little."

"I really like this car. I use it to comute, pull my boat, pick up stuff (and I mean stuff) at Home Depot/Lowes (use it like my little truck). Performance-wise, I was never disappointed. Handling/power met my needs (with basic package). It's a shame Toyota discontinued it."

Amazing vehical!

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Great price, Style, Gas"

Cons: "none!"

"I got this car after my Camry had a recal a few years back. I absolutly love my car! the gas milage is great and the safty of the Matrix is excellent!"

Perfect for Me

By on Friday, November 8, 2013

Pros: "Great looking car; comfortable driving"

Cons: "Some visibility issues; noisy driving"

"I really love this car!! Traded in a van for this Matrix. Now that I am used to the change in size of vehicle, I love the control of this car. Kind of noisy to drive, but I really feel good driving it."

excellent performance.

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pros: "great car, reliable, fun to drive even"

Cons: "Road Noise, awkward driver seating"

"This is by far one of the best cars I ever driven specially with the 2.4 liter engine. with 60k miles and this car gets better as time pass by, I only feed premium gas and the car works excellent on highway. the extra gear makes a lot of difference on gas millage mechanically is a perfect combination and like I said with 60k and this car has never been in the shop. except for tires I use synthetic oil and a K&N filter, no intake modifications But like always there is no perfect car and there is no one size fits all kind of deal, if you know what I mean. the interior is kind of cheesy, although well designed the driver's side seat is awkward for long trip the arm rest on the door was too low for me the lever on the side keeps lowering the seat every time inadvertently press it. over all I gave it a 10 because is good performance and the aerodynamics of the car great, although does not help with the noise on the road. This car is a love it or hate it. I love it for my life style."

Dependable transportation

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "handles well, peppy' good brakes"

Cons: "uncomftable seat on long trips, mediocr gas milage"

"I leased this car for use an economical work car. It is the "S" model so is pretty peppy and handles well. I have not had any warranty issues except for the plastic parts keep falling off the door post. My daily work has me driving up to 175 miles per day. The seats are not that comfortable for that much driving and the combined Hiway/city milage is in the low 20's. I have just replaced the tires. I thought that they would last longer. The hatch back is nice and the cargo area is pretty good for a small car. It has a propensity to attract stones to the windshield- maybe because of the design of the frot hood."

Good Car BUT...

By on Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Bought in Summer 08,traded in Scion TC. Nice handling, comfort(for its size),perky engine.I got the base model & came w/power this & that,great value.Radio is great.My biggest peeve is the blind spots in the rear side areas.Hard to see!!! Had a few close calls...The recalls are getting ridiculous.I had the gas pedal get stuck a few times(Floor mat).The front brakes have always had a crunching sound-BAD but dealership keeps saying is normal for this model.Is embarassing.I'm a former Acura Integra owner & Corolla (79),the MPG was much better on those cars.The Matrix is fair.I drive the speed limit.But the Matrix is a heavier car."

Go Faster!!

By on Sunday, December 27, 2009

"Carvantruck? Sure is an odd duck to look at it. Ever been in a VW Bug? Tiny outside handballcourt inside. Same effect with Matrix. I'm 6'4" and can wear a hat in the backseat. Seats offer public transport comfort.Wife drives 75 miles a day highway 1.8L/32MPG!! I drive it between Chicago to Detroit. I'm glad I can slap the shifter between D and 3rd because it needs every boost you can give it to get from 50mph to 70. Flat windshield makes rain fly off She is what she is. Fun to drive in town that 1.8 . Flat floor and fold down rear seats"

Not for the Short Driver

By on Monday, September 28, 2009

"This car is an excellent value if you are above 5'6" tall. I am short (5'3") and the back headrest hits me in such a way that the car has caused extreme pain in my neck. (I drive two hours a day). The car it's self is VERY high quality, but I have just not been able to find a comfortable spot. This is my 4rd Toyota, and the only one I have ever had issues with! To bad...could be a great car."

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Great mileage (30 city/40 highway). Rides smooth, comfortable and the room in the back gives lots of options."

Feels beefy

By on Monday, July 21, 2008

"My wife and I purchased a '09 Matrix s AWD to replace our small, cute and efficient Yaris. The Matrix is a huge step up from the Yaris in every way, except in fuel mileage. The car is getting 29 mpg highway and 21 mpg city - as advertised. The car feels safe and soild and beefy. So far, the Matrix has been an excellent choice of vehicle. On the down side, for $21,560, the car should have come with alloy wheels as standard equipment."

Reliable, roomy, looks nice,

By on Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pros: "reliable, rear folding seats, cargo space"

Cons: "wind and cabin noise, blind spots,"

"I like the style of this car inside and out. Looks pretty nice for a Toyota. I have had this car for 2 years and haven't had to do anything except take it in for regular oil change/maintenance. I love the amount of space you get with the rear seats folded flat. The 1.8 L is good on gas but not as good as I expected it to be. It really sucks gas in the winter. The acceleration is acceptable for the size of the car but it is no race car. Not really fun to drive but it gets you from point A to point B. I don't find the seats very comfortable especially on long trips. There is a lot of wind engine tire and cabin noise especially at freeway speeds. There are a couple of blind spots with the rear pillars but you can get around this by adjusting your rear view mirrors. The brakes seem to wear out quickly. This car has a great resale value and costs very little to maintain. Great value for the money and I'm sure it will be good for many miles to come."

Not good value and poor MPG

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Pros: "Very good acceleration and smoothe gear change"

Cons: "Bad fuel consumption, noisy, bad accelerator pedal"

"Bought the Matrix for carrying small loads that are not possible in a regular sedan. Does that well. Fuel consumption is poor, 21 MPG around town and 28 MPG on a run. Great acceleration and smooth gear change, but the auto drops to a lower gear far too quickly - leading to poor fuel consumption. Noisy and not particularly comfortable. Quality of construction is nowhere near as good as our Honda Accord. The accelerator pedal action is poor - almost impossible to achieve a smooth start from a standstill."

Great car, One of the best toyotas i've owned.

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "mpg,pratical design, well built. Cheap to keep."

Cons: "cheap dash materal"

"great car. 30-35 mpg combined rating. Dependable."

Great Headroom, Style, but read further...

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Stylish, good MPG, low maintenance costs."

Cons: "Noisy, harsh riding and poor visibility."

"Exotic styling. However, this causes difficult blind spots on either side of front windshield and to rear view. Ride is harsh, you will feel every road defect. Handling and braking are quite good. Acceleration isn't very strong, but capable in most traffic. Average around 28 MPG all around. Interior noise level is very high on highway, difficult to converse normally. The access and head room are great. The rear hatch and fold flat rear seats really makes this car a versatile hauler. The radio has too much bass, treble can't be turned up high enough to compensate."

3 pitfalls

By on Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, gas mileage, front leg room"

Cons: "Upholstery, stereo, depth available for carseats"

"I love my 2009 matrix. Unfortunately, it has 2 major flaws, and one annoyance. 1. the back seat does not accommodate multiple car seats well. Bucket car seats only fit in the center or behind a passenger seat fully upright and against the dash. I did find the Britax Marathon 70 fit behind the front seats (rear and forward facing) with them midway back and partially reclined. 2. The seats get water stains every time raindrops fall on the car, so the fabric looks worse for the wear than it is. 3. The stereo overheats when the sun beats on it. This causes the display to glitch out, and if you touch any buttons, the stereo turns off. I tried convincing the dealership to get me a new one, but because they couldnt repeat the problem (and the car cooled by the time I got there) they refused to send it back to the manufacturer free of charge. Overall, I can ignore the bad until we want to have a second child."

nice styling but lots of rattles

By on Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"I was disappointed in this vehicle. The styling is nice as is the performance - however there are lots of rattles and noises inside the car. I've had to have the regulator replaced in the door – twice - and I have an extremely annoying rattle somewhere between the dash & the windshield - of which I've taken to the dealer 4 times to get fixed and they have not been able to cure it (nor does it seem that they try too hard) The latest fix was handing me some rubber piping to stick between the windshield and dash when I hear the noise - which hasn't worked either. The noises in conjunction with the whole gas pedal recall debacle make me not able to recommend this car. I really thought I had done my due diligence on this and I’ve been extremely disappointed."

Great car all the way around!

By on Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"This car has got great pick up. Handles so well in any weather. Iam tall and I have plenty of leg room and head room. Carry's all fo the baseball equiptment in the way back, good visibility, love the sporty style. Wish I had gotten it in a different color, but other than that i really like this car. When my son gets this car, I will be getting another Matrix!"

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"We bought this car back in March and have been in love with it ever since. So much room on the inside and it handles well in all types of weather."

Love this car after all these years!

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, small and can fit anywhere, good MPG"

Cons: "needs more cargo space"

"This car has been so good to me. Still runs great, looks great, and has tons of pep. I got it in 2008 but it is an 09. I just had someone complement it the other day when the valet at a restaurant pulled it up for me. It is spunky, great on gas, and has never had any problems."

good transportation.

By on Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reason: trade in

Pros: "roomy, comfortable seats, leg and head room."

Cons: "loud acceleration road noise bumpy ride"

"Owned this car for 4 1/2 years. The first winter I regretted I bought it. Worst car ever in the snow and rain. Motor loud when excelerating, road noise, rough ride, cheap interior,"

very decent car

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and reliable"

Cons: "Drivers seat doesn't go back very far"

"Bought this car new. It has gotten good gas milage and is very peppy. Gets thru snow well and handles good. Sport pkg is great but ride is a little rough. Carries a lot lots of room No mechanical problems."

Ho Hum 2009

By on Thursday, February 10, 2011

"Disappointed with lots of pesky mechanical issues: replaced radio, replaced windshield wiper motor, sun visor kept falling off, drivers side plastic cover over side air bag kept falling off, in addition to the many recalls, lots of frustration. Very noisy on the highway. Pros: Great size, good gas mileage, good handling. Bye, bye Toyota...time to try "home-grown"."

Reliable, Sporty and Versatile

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "cargo space, excellent leg room in rear"

Cons: "poor city mileage"

"I bought this car new in Nov 2009. I have the XRS sport package. This is the top of the line Matrix. Standard on this car is the 18" alloy wheels and P215/45R18 BFG gForce tires. PROS: This car has excellent leg room and cargo space. There is plenty of room for three adults in the back with no problem. The cargo area with rubber grips on the floor makes for plenty of safe cargo. There is ALOT of space in this small car. I have a 5 speed manual transmission. I love the sportiness but the gear ratio seems a bit low in 1st gear. CONS: gas mileage. I am not a highway driver, mostly city. I usually get 21-23 mpg. I drive it as a sporty car so that might keep me from getting a few more miles per gallon. I did take a long trip with a total of four people and did get 29 MPG on that trip so the car is capable of the higher MPGs. It seems well built after the initial squeaks were tightened up when I first bought it. Overall, I enjoy driving this car. As a bonus, I taught both of my daughters how to drive a 5 speed manual transmission in this car !"

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, August 27, 2010

"My wife and I have a 2004 Matrix automatic base model which we prurchased brand new in Dec,, 03 which was loaded with almost every option except cruise control. It's August, 2010, 92,000 miles later and almost two years since the car has been paid off and we couldn't be any happier with the veichle. A solid, reliable vehicle that other than normal service, has not needed any repairs and still has the factory brake pads and that's with my wife driving it 99 percent of the time. In addition, the paint and body still look new. She totally loves the car and will not settle for anything other than another Matrix when this car is handed down to our teenage son who will be driving soon."

6 months of the Shop

By on Monday, March 8, 2010

"I've owned a Matrix now for 7 months and here are the problems I've had. At 5000 miles the radio went out after a month I finally got a new one. At 7000 miles the radio started acting up again, toyota can't figure it out. At 9000 miles the 1st of the recalls. At 10,000 miles the gas pedal gets "fixed". Between 10,000 mile and 11,000 miles he accelerator sticks on 3 different occasions. I've owned may new and used cars in my life and this one by far has had the most issues. The vechicle I had before this and traded in on this matrix was a GMC Truck that had over 250,000 miles on it. Over it's life had fewer issues than this new Matrix has had in the 1st 7 months of ownership!"

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next