2009 Toyota Matrix

8.3

Based on 91 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

great value

By on Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"had car about 9 months,love it, i drive 100 miles a day 5 days a week, all highway, gets an average of 30-32 mpg, very satisfied with that, car is comfortable to ride in, has nice stereo for its price range and roomy interior, only thing i dont like when i close the doors it sounds tinny, but overall i do love this car, have had no problems with it at all, has the telescoping steering column which i really like"

Great car, it's like a Corolla wagon

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Handling, braking, sporty looking, roominess, safe"

Cons: "a loose plastic panel, vanity mirror cover problem"

"I like the car. I had to find a car to replace my 18 year old sports car, and I knew it would be a big adjustment to go from an 8 cylinder luxury car to something with a smaller engine and in theory, not as luxurious. I chose the correct car for the adjustment. I really tried hard not to like the car, but I really like it. It has very good "get up and go" for when you need to get onto a busy freeway or for passing someone. I like how it handles. The AWD on wet, sometimes a few inches of water covered roads plus the stability/traction control were options I'm glad this car has. Some people may not feel the amount of gas it uses justifies the option, but it does for me when it comes to safety since I'm in a very wet climate. I think it gets good gas mileage, but I had a V8 so I'm probably not the best judge of that. I'm sure there are cars that get better mileage, but for the options and features that this car has, you'd probably have to pay a lot more in a small SUV or other wagon. Now the best part, it's a small wagon! I never thought I'd be excited to own a "station wagon", but it's really nice. The seats lay all the way down flat and you can put pretty much anything back there. Even dogs and stuff you have to buy for everyday life. It has little hooks to hook grocery bags to so that your stuff doesn't go rolling everywhere (genius!) and it even has a place to tie bigger things down if you move the removable carpet/mat. I love having a 4 door again, I'd forgotten how much I like them. Only a couple of bugaboos that you'll keep hearing over and over: Road noise. Yes, it's there, sort of like how it is in most cars this style (or even in small trucks), but it doesn't bother me because my husband is always playing music so loudly, I can barely hear anything unless I'm by myself, then I notice it. But I don't find it annoying. Some people may not like it. Also, my driver side vanity mirror cover won't close. It's a little sliding piece of plastic that won't slide back. It's not something you can see unless you're driving and want to look in the vanity mirror. It's just an uncovered mirror now. And, since I bought it used, there's a piece of plastic that keeps coming loose (easily snapped back into place) between the front door/back door and the frame. Hard to describe the location, but it's right under where the seat belt joins to the car frame. I'm sure if I took the time to jiggle it into place properly or see if it needs to be screwed in or something, it's just not that big of a deal and I'm always in a hurry so if it happens to pop out, I just pop it back into place. Like I said, I bought it used, so it's probably something the former driver banged out of place and never got screwed back in. Anways, I like the car. If you are looking for value for the money, roominess without owning a larger car for your family, dogs, etc this car will be great for you. It's comfortable, the dashboard and all the features look great, it handles like a dream. The steering and braking on this car are above average. And wait til you have to park in a crowded parking lot! It's so great for tight spaces and getting in and out of crowded lots without hassle. I love having a smaller vehicle."

Some design flaws...

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Looks modern. Easy access. Good MPG & Cargo space."

Cons: "Noisy. Poor vision. Slow Acceleration."

"NEGATIVES- Underpowered. Poor Vision forward and especially towards rear. Handling is just fair. It has way too much road and wind noise, ordinary conversations are difficult at highway speeds. When stopped, wind whistles through gaps in rear hatches gaskets, (haunting sound.) Rear wheel disc brakes are extremely costly to replace. No cargo cover, we have to use a blanket to try to hide purchases. NO SPIN-ON OIL FILTER, (HAS INFERIOR CARTRIDGE, VERY POOR DESIGN, LONG ABANDONED BY CAR MAKERS YEARS AGO!) POSITIVES- Very easy to get in and out of. Lots of cargo space. Steering and brakes have pleasant feel. Looks like a modern SUV. Headlamps do a nice job. Front seats are comfortable, read, satasfactory. Good MPG."

Good Commuter

By on Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pros: "Peppy and handles well, AC plug is great"

Cons: "Cup holders are awful."

"This is my second Matrix. I drive a long commute and this is always a pleasure on the highway. Lots of power when I need it. I do miss the window hatch in the back that my 2005 had. Also, Toyota has not yet mastered the cup holder. Only the narrowest cup really sits securely in the console."

Awesome Car

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"I absolutely love this car! I went from an Echo to the Matrix S with little issue. The car handles wonderfully on the HWY. The dealer added cruise for me, and this boosted my HWY MPG to 34-36. The only thing I will miss is the amount of storage space my Echo had. The Matrix does not have all the extra cubbies. The matrix is bigger and bulkier than my Echo was, but handles surprisingly well. It accelerates smoothly... almost too smoothly... lol. I love it and am sooooo happy with it!"