2009 Toyota Matrix

8.2

Based on 87 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

Reliable. Economical. Versatile.

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Reliable. Economical. Versatile."

Cons: "Miss cruise control a little."

"I really like this car. I use it to comute, pull my boat, pick up stuff (and I mean stuff) at Home Depot/Lowes (use it like my little truck). Performance-wise, I was never disappointed. Handling/power met my needs (with basic package). It's a shame Toyota discontinued it."

Toyota Owner for life now!

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "Fast, safe, great gas mileage, roomy, reliable"

Cons: "No AWD option for Manual Trans."

"I bought this car a year ago next month. It is the best car I have ever purchased! I have owned Nissan, Volvo, and Subaru and while all were great cars, this one has everything that I could want. I bought the 5 speed manual instead of the Automatic even though doing so meant I gave up AWD. I don't regret it. I didn't have a single problem getting through any storm up here in the North Country with my FWD, although if they made a 5 speed with AWD I would have bought that. The gas mileage is excellent! The backseat is also very roomy and comfortable when I have a car full of kids and/or adults. Don't let the outside fool you, there is a TON of room inside! If you need to move a lot of stuff, the back seat fold down flat and you can fit tons of stuff!! I used to drive a pick up and also an SUV and I don't feel like I am missing out on anything with having this wagon! Any excuse I have to drive it, I take it! BEST CAR EVER! I will be a Toyota driver for life!"

Dependable transportation

By on Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pros: "handles well, peppy' good brakes"

Cons: "uncomftable seat on long trips, mediocr gas milage"

"I leased this car for use an economical work car. It is the "S" model so is pretty peppy and handles well. I have not had any warranty issues except for the plastic parts keep falling off the door post. My daily work has me driving up to 175 miles per day. The seats are not that comfortable for that much driving and the combined Hiway/city milage is in the low 20's. I have just replaced the tires. I thought that they would last longer. The hatch back is nice and the cargo area is pretty good for a small car. It has a propensity to attract stones to the windshield- maybe because of the design of the frot hood."

It is what it is.

By on Monday, September 05, 2011

Pros: "Versatile"

Cons: "needs pore pizazz"

"Interior materials are subpar for the class. Toyota uses hard plastics although it is attractive. Good mpg. Lots of room in the back, especially when you fold the two back seats down. S models passengers seats fold down; base models don't, however. Typical Toyota in terms of safe exterior styling. The ride are handling are great. It cuts into corners well and also absorbs the potholes. I recommend it!"

Good Car BUT...

By on Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Bought in Summer 08,traded in Scion TC. Nice handling, comfort(for its size),perky engine.I got the base model & came w/power this & that,great value.Radio is great.My biggest peeve is the blind spots in the rear side areas.Hard to see!!! Had a few close calls...The recalls are getting ridiculous.I had the gas pedal get stuck a few times(Floor mat).The front brakes have always had a crunching sound-BAD but dealership keeps saying is normal for this model.Is embarassing.I'm a former Acura Integra owner & Corolla (79),the MPG was much better on those cars.The Matrix is fair.I drive the speed limit.But the Matrix is a heavier car."