2009 Toyota Matrix

8.2

Based on 84 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

Reliable, roomy, looks nice,

By on Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Pros: "reliable, rear folding seats, cargo space"

Cons: "wind and cabin noise, blind spots,"

"I like the style of this car inside and out. Looks pretty nice for a Toyota. I have had this car for 2 years and haven't had to do anything except take it in for regular oil change/maintenance. I love the amount of space you get with the rear seats folded flat. The 1.8 L is good on gas but not as good as I expected it to be. It really sucks gas in the winter. The acceleration is acceptable for the size of the car but it is no race car. Not really fun to drive but it gets you from point A to point B. I don't find the seats very comfortable especially on long trips. There is a lot of wind engine tire and cabin noise especially at freeway speeds. There are a couple of blind spots with the rear pillars but you can get around this by adjusting your rear view mirrors. The brakes seem to wear out quickly. This car has a great resale value and costs very little to maintain. Great value for the money and I'm sure it will be good for many miles to come."

great car

By on Thursday, October 23, 2014

Pros: "practical, great looks, good mpg, cheap to keep!"

Cons: "interior grade materials,"

"great car- one of the best Toyotas I've owned and I have owned many."

I love the car, i dont want to let it go...

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Cons: "small , compact, no luxury, cover material is chea"

"I let it go because I got to move. I love this car. It is very fast of accelleration, can run up to 110 not problems.... very smooth and durable."

SO FAR SO GOOD at 40,000 miles

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pros: "no body rot, still shines good,good ride"

Cons: "gas milage could be better"

"I would just like to say that the car has proved itself reliable so far. I thank God that I have not had to put any money into having it repaired. Originally the car came with, I think a 25,000 miles maintenance plan that has expired. Under it the oil was changed every 5000 miles. I have continued doing so. The car handles pretty well for a mini wagon. I had to put new tires on at about 32,000 miles. There was no abnormal or excessive wear when they were changed. I did believe the car was handling rather poorly in the snow previously. So the tires were changed sooner than later to accommodate for this. I guess the one thing that I wish was a little bit different was the amount of luggage the car holds when there are four people in it. It will only hold about two bags. I noticed this every time I am picking people up at the airport. I really do wish this was different and have considered installing a luggage rack but I am concerned about the wear and tear on the paint on the roof. Also I have a sunroof which I love and am not sure how that would work with it. I suppose another issue is that I felt that the new-car warrantee it came with could have been better. I had to buy an extended warranty to supplement it. Had I to do it again I would have tried to negotiate a better warranty if possible and I would've liked to have the option to continue with the maintenance plan till 50 or 75,000 miles. I can't afford to buy another new cars so I must rely on maintaining this car and pray it lasts a long time. Even though under the maintenance plan I had to pay for some replacement items like air filters and windshield wipers, the oil and filter was covered but what I liked about the plan was that they checked everything that was listed in the book as needing to be checked. I am not much of a mechanic so that was very helpful for me. Since they did charge though for replacement items I kind of felt like a captive audience and really didn't understand why they only did the maintenance plan for like 25,000 miles. They were getting paid if they found anything wrong and the work was kind of guaranteed them. I kind of felt it was a win-win situation. I guess anther thing I should mention is that this was the second matrix I had owned. The first one differed A little, like the rear window could be opened independently from the whole door. I really like this option and wish they had held onto that in the new version. It was very handy if you had to move something that was long. Now if I have something long I have to leave the whole door open which is kind of a pain with road dirt, dust and exhaust all getting in. Plus nothing is secured. It really did make things a lot easier. it too was a good car. When I bought the car I was surprised to find out that it did not come with floor mats! I couldn't imagine how they would not include this. Apparently the salesman agreed and threw them in at no cost. My feeling was they should have been included with the car automatically. I find it incredible that a company would sell any car without them. After all the money they charged me for the new car how very basic are floor mats? I guess the last thing that I would mention is the gas mileage, I think combined I get maybe 25 miles to the gallon. This I thought I would have done better on but I guess not. I really don't know what they will have to do to finally give us a car that does a lot better on gas mileage than this. I don't know if any of this helps but good luck in your endeavors."

very decent car

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and reliable"

Cons: "Drivers seat doesn't go back very far"

"Bought this car new. It has gotten good gas milage and is very peppy. Gets thru snow well and handles good. Sport pkg is great but ride is a little rough. Carries a lot lots of room No mechanical problems."