2009 Toyota Matrix

8.2

Based on 79 Ratings for the 2009 - 2013 models.

Great Headroom, Style, but read further...

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, Stylish, good MPG, low maintenance costs."

Cons: "Noisy, harsh riding and poor visibility."

"Exotic styling. However, this causes difficult blind spots on either side of front windshield and to rear view. Ride is harsh, you will feel every road defect. Handling and braking are quite good. Acceleration isn't very strong, but capable in most traffic. Average around 28 MPG all around. Interior noise level is very high on highway, difficult to converse normally. The access and head room are great. The rear hatch and fold flat rear seats really makes this car a versatile hauler. The radio has too much bass, treble can't be turned up high enough to compensate."

Good little car

By on Friday, August 09, 2013

"Great gas milage, handles well, not bad to look at and reasonable room. Greatest weakness is just a little cheap"

Very Disappointed in Toyota and I've owned many.

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, but not on highway."

Cons: "Loud road noise, iPod connectivity doesn't work."

"Bought 1 month ago prior to vacation. Loud tire noise on highway, rough ride. Despite having the upgraded 6 speaker radio, iPod connection doesn't work. Something in the back bangs when going over road bumps or highway road joints. Haven't found out what yet. Drive position is comfortable to drive for distance, but the road noise, banging in back on every bump or road joint doesn't make for a good experience. Had it in the shop twice before going on vacation to have them fix the iPod connection problem -- 3 1/2 hours of driving on trip, iPod quit. I'd tried undercoating to try to help silence the loud road noise but that didn't do much. Vacation was good despite loud bumpy road noise driving to and from. Wish I'd never bought a Matrix."

Very happy

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

Pros: "good value, fun to drive, fuel efficient"

Cons: "not enough space for car seats"

"This car has given me no trouble other than required mantainance and is very fun to drive. I love the fold down seats so I can items from the home store transported with ease. Overall great car!"

Great car, it's like a Corolla wagon

By on Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pros: "Handling, braking, sporty looking, roominess, safe"

Cons: "a loose plastic panel, vanity mirror cover problem"

"I like the car. I had to find a car to replace my 18 year old sports car, and I knew it would be a big adjustment to go from an 8 cylinder luxury car to something with a smaller engine and in theory, not as luxurious. I chose the correct car for the adjustment. I really tried hard not to like the car, but I really like it. It has very good "get up and go" for when you need to get onto a busy freeway or for passing someone. I like how it handles. The AWD on wet, sometimes a few inches of water covered roads plus the stability/traction control were options I'm glad this car has. Some people may not feel the amount of gas it uses justifies the option, but it does for me when it comes to safety since I'm in a very wet climate. I think it gets good gas mileage, but I had a V8 so I'm probably not the best judge of that. I'm sure there are cars that get better mileage, but for the options and features that this car has, you'd probably have to pay a lot more in a small SUV or other wagon. Now the best part, it's a small wagon! I never thought I'd be excited to own a "station wagon", but it's really nice. The seats lay all the way down flat and you can put pretty much anything back there. Even dogs and stuff you have to buy for everyday life. It has little hooks to hook grocery bags to so that your stuff doesn't go rolling everywhere (genius!) and it even has a place to tie bigger things down if you move the removable carpet/mat. I love having a 4 door again, I'd forgotten how much I like them. Only a couple of bugaboos that you'll keep hearing over and over: Road noise. Yes, it's there, sort of like how it is in most cars this style (or even in small trucks), but it doesn't bother me because my husband is always playing music so loudly, I can barely hear anything unless I'm by myself, then I notice it. But I don't find it annoying. Some people may not like it. Also, my driver side vanity mirror cover won't close. It's a little sliding piece of plastic that won't slide back. It's not something you can see unless you're driving and want to look in the vanity mirror. It's just an uncovered mirror now. And, since I bought it used, there's a piece of plastic that keeps coming loose (easily snapped back into place) between the front door/back door and the frame. Hard to describe the location, but it's right under where the seat belt joins to the car frame. I'm sure if I took the time to jiggle it into place properly or see if it needs to be screwed in or something, it's just not that big of a deal and I'm always in a hurry so if it happens to pop out, I just pop it back into place. Like I said, I bought it used, so it's probably something the former driver banged out of place and never got screwed back in. Anways, I like the car. If you are looking for value for the money, roominess without owning a larger car for your family, dogs, etc this car will be great for you. It's comfortable, the dashboard and all the features look great, it handles like a dream. The steering and braking on this car are above average. And wait til you have to park in a crowded parking lot! It's so great for tight spaces and getting in and out of crowded lots without hassle. I love having a smaller vehicle."