2008 Toyota Matrix

Based on 532 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Own it! ...& LOVE it!!!

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun, reliable w/excel. features"

"A KEEPER!!! <3 <3 <3"

best choice for good looks and reliability

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "price to value. the car was a great value"

Cons: "sometimes we wish the car had a few more horsepowe"

"I bought this car brand new, I remember everybody used to ask me what kind of car it was because there were so few at the time. for 260, 000 miles, all I've done is change the oil every seven thousand miles a couple of sets of tires and a couple of tune ups. this car has never given us any problems. we've raised one child and a 150 pound Bernese Mountain Dog in this car and it is held up just fine. we originally bought this car for its high crash test ratings. we have decided to keep this car forever although we are going to get a new car soon. if you can find one in good shape and well taken care of by it would be a good car for college student as the interior has tons of space.I am 6 foot 2 and I fit in it just fine."

Great, reliable car at a great price

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "Great price, roomy, reliable, good gas milage"

Cons: "No reading lights, rear wiper blade"

"I love my Matrix. It's great on gas mileage, I've had it for 6 years and have had no trouble with it. The only money I've had to spend was for basic maintenance. The car drives well and it fits a lot of stuff in it. I'm always amazed at how much room I have in the car, especially when I put the back seats down. I would absolutely get another one of these. This has been a great car and I plan to stick with hatchbacks from now on. The basic model I have doesn't have all the techie frills that other, newer cars have but it's got all the basics you could need."

Best Car Ever Owned.

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

"My 2003 Matrix continues to be a real trooper! Made side by side with Pontiac Vibe by New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) in Fremont, California, this venture proved to be an outstanding commitment to excellence. With the exception of an O2 sensor gone bad at 160K, this vehicle has never had a problem. The 4-speed manual has averaged 32 mpg since the day I drove it off the lot. Running on my third set of tires, I'm on the second set of brake pads and original struts. The air conditioner blows cold to this day. And if you're into hauling cargo, you'll not find a more spacious car in its class. If you can lay your hands on a used one, BUY IT!"

Bought, but planned to sell. Best investment.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Doesn't accelerate very quickly (4cyl)"

"I bought this car knowing I would either a) keep it forever and ever, or b) sell it in a few years. I did my homework when buying this car and chose it because of it's: 1) Low VOC's after baking in the hot sun for days/hours. It never stank like plastic. 2) Reliability. It never broke down. WHen a tire started to leak, it alerted me. 3) Resale value. I kept it very clean. I owe $5000 on it. It's worth $8700 on KBB. Yessssssss 4) It's a good looking car. I don't feel frumpy- I feel cool, and know I'm safe at the same time. 5) I may never buy another car in all y life."

I highly recommend the Matrix.

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Love the way it hugs the road."

"I need to know the book value of my Matrix."

nice car,98000 mi. purchased new, no problems,

By on Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage price no big repairs"

Cons: "tire noise"

"nice car,98000 mi. purchased new, no problems,great run around car..good mileage,changed oil every 5000 miles,flop tires every 10000."

If your looking for more than a Corolla...

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reason: extra vehicle - no longer needed

Pros: "gas mileage, options, reliability."

Cons: "Slow accel to freeway speeds sluggish transmission"

"Good on gas, reliable. It is not the fastest car on the road, but it gets you from A to B on without trouble. Keep it maintained and it will last a long time!"

Best car

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

"I love my matrix."

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Good price, very versatile."

"Better than listed mpg... 28/40, over the last 9 years. Extremely useful flat floor in cargo area, comfortable enough on long trips, great sound system, great visibility, reliable, and safe. Saved my bacon in an accordion accident where I was hit multiple times. Now in the process of looking for a new one."

Best cara ever - highly recommend

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive; handles easily; Looks good"

Cons: "No automatic door locks"

"I would highly recommend this car to anyone and any age. I am 75 and love this car. This is the first small car I have owned - wouldn't trade it for anything else now. Holds 5 adults comfortably."

Best car ever owned! Most reliable!

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pros: "gas mileage, hatchback, reliability"

Cons: "bumpy ride"

"Bought my car used 3.5 yrs ago, and put 80,000 miles on it since. Only normal maintenance stuff...brakes, serpentine belt etc. Always starts! I love all it's little amenities...like my regular wall outlet in addition to the cig lighter one, the daytime running lights, and power everything. I love the hatchback and folding seats. Who needs a truck when you can throw any furniture, lumber...whatever you need in your car? The only thing I would say is it really isn't a super comfortable ride, but then again I drive a ton, and it is an economy car. Would buy again! I can't wait for my next one...with 4wd!"

Love it! Would buy again.

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, exterior, interior, value"

Cons: "no aux plug in"

"Bought my car used 2 years ago from Oregon and it has been worth every penny, even the cost to ship. Upgraded from a honda civic coupe. I am a student that commutes and I am also a nanny so I need great gas mileage and great indoor room for car seats, backpacks, bags of soccer balls, etc. It has awesome power to get on the freeway and get up to speed quickly which I love. It is everything I need (and more) and super affordable (hasn't needed any extra maintenance besides the regular oil change and such) LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I also get so many compliments on how "cute" it is. Recommended to many people and some have began their search to buy one of their own."

Best car I have owned.

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, mileage, power is good,"

Cons: "Better view out rear window, road noise"

"A couple of people I know recommended this car when I bought it. 198000 miles and not one repair other that regular mantainence every 5000 miles. I am 6 foot 8 and it is the car we use for long trips for comfort and mileage over our much larger SUV."

I just wont let it go!

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "MPG, smooth shifting, XR, exterior, interior"

Cons: "Rear drum brakes? Come on!"

The day i bought it

"So i remember the day i first took my 2007 silver streak mica Toyota Matrix XR off the lot for a quick test drive. I fell in love with the way it so comfortably moved and its agile steering. The 5-speed manual transmission shifted very smooth with minimal effort. The engine, although only 126HP, still carried the car with ease and was quick to respond. I recently upgraded the rear drum brakes to Disc (i'm not sure why Toyota is not making 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS a standard option in their cars like its competitors). The exterior and interior designs were delightful for my eyes, and the extras from the XR package really complemented the body style of the Matrix. It is now 2013, and 60,000 miles later, the Matrix is still a great econo-hatch for running errands, carpooling 5 days a week to work, and still have gas for the following week. I usually avertage 32mpg on mixed driving and i have frequently achieved 40mpg on long, highway trips to visit family, and go on road trips with church members. The only problem i had was a defective ECU, but Toyota quickly took action and replaced it for free because it was a factory recall. I've always wanted a Lexus after graduating college, but now that i have, i just can't let this jewel go!!!"

The day i bought it

Absolutely LOVE this car!

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "great price, great gas mileage, dependable, cute"

"I bought this car brand new in 2003. When I drove it off the lot, it had 3 miles on it. I put those miles on with the test drive! Today, it just went over 237,000 miles. I've spent nearly 7 of the 10 years that I've owned this car making a 120+ mile daily round-trip commute to & from work. I've always kept up with the scheduled maintenance and the car has rewarded me by NEVER breaking down. The only expensive part I've had to replace was the catalytic converter, and that was just a few months ago. I fully expect to keep this car until at least 300,000 miles. Absolutely love it & dread the thought of parting with it!"

best little car I have ever had..

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

"It's like the Eveready Rabbit it just keeps going.."

roomy, reliable, great gas mileage

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Reason: sold to a relative who needs a good car

Pros: "lots of space; 33/36 MPG highway safe"

Cons: "get the XR with upgrades-worth it!"

"I've had the full XRT model with all bells and whistles, and this stripped down model. Both are safe (I walked away from an accident that totaled the car), good value, and get good MPG, but I recommend the upgraded version, it will be worth it in the long run. Handles well in the snowy icy backroads. Dont expect quick acceleration. You can fit ten 8' long 2x4 in this vehicle, or bags of feed, camping gear, etc. Handles decently on curves and hills for a car of its class. Excellent commuter car for country-to-city."

Talk about reliability

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good on gas, versatile, low owner cost"

"Call me crazy, but i was a student who was looking for a good value car. I found the Matrix xr 2003 and loved it. It had 130,000 miles on it and I still made the purchase. I have put an additional 100,000 miles on it. So it now has 230,000 miles total. It has been a great car. Aside getting new tires on it, there have been no major repairs, let alone breakdowns. I get great gas mileage 30+ and can go up to 400mpg (60mph)on a full tank of v-power fuel from shell. It has a power outlet that makes it easy to charge phones and other devices. It also has folding seats, all the seats can be folded giving it maximum room to fill when moving. This car is versatile and thats what makes it great. I've been on numerous road trips in different temperatures. The only ding in this review would be the starter. Whenever I fill up my tank, I have to start my engine twice before the engine keeps running. I was told the previous owner left the gas tank open for a while and thats what's caused this problem. I've had a couple mechanics look at it and they say its nothing major. However, I've been so impressed with the car that I'm willing to drive it until I get to the 300k mark and hopefully toyota can feature me in a commercial. ha."

Car has been SO reliable, great investment!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great for the price and 10 years!"

"This has been a great car, great investment, worth every penny, reliable and fun to drive. Lower front spoiler is a problem but other than that,great car!"

Reliable and great gas mileage

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Great purchase price, gas mileage, reliability."

Cons: "More insulation for a quieter interior."

"I've owned many cars in my life and this was my first Toyota. I bought it new in Aug,2006 and still own it. I have maintained it very well, doing most of the maintenance myself because it is easy on this car. This is the most reliable car I've have ever owned, never ever having to take it in for any repairs. Not even a light bulb has burned out on it. And for an all wheel drive car, it gets me 30 mpg consistently. When I first bought it, I thought I would only keep it for 3 yrs, but because I like it so much, hear I am at 6.5 years of ownership. My friends tell me, my Toyota still looks fairly new too..."

Great Car, Bad Hubs!!

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, Lot's of room and comfortable."

Cons: "What's with the Hub problems?"

"I don't know what's with this Matrix I have but I have changed out the front hubs 3 times! I replaced the front hubs once at 43,000 miles,then again at 60,000 miles and again at 85,000 miles!! Yes 3 Times because they have broken or rusted out. Mechanic couldn't understand it either. Overall the car is wonderful but I wouldn't buy another one due to the hub problem."

Love it

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Cant think of anything"

"Loved my matrix. It has been 4yrs since I crashed it yet i still talk about it. It is the best car i have ever owed. Great gas, interior, comfortability, etc."

Toyotas are trouble - BIG ZERO is my rating.

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "It runs"

Cons: "Can't get windows fixed right so I don't have to p"

"Last yr I had to have the back windows unstuck.I paid the dealer to fix the problem. One yr later I have the same problem and Toyota won't cover it. Don't buy a used Matrix."

The best luck with my Matrix, would buy it again

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "Gas mpg, excellent daily car, seats folding flat"

Cons: "Water stains on seats, small gas tank, road noise"

"I’ve been very happy with my 2005 Matrix. Purchased with 89,300 miles on it four years ago. I now have 156,000 miles on the car. Purchased from a 80 year old lady that bought it new. I put new expensive long life tires on the car, that cut down on road noise. The tires help with our Northwest winters in the Seattle area and our many trips to North Idaho to visit family in the winter. The car is good in the snow, stellar with driving in the rain. Our 17 year old daughter loves sleeping in the back of the car when camping. She loves how the seats fold flat for sleeping, and how the front seat folds over so she can place a laptop for watching movies. Even with the crazy number of miles on this car, I would have no problem driving the car across country as needed. The gas mileage around 31mpg regularly with my big foot, my wife who drives the speed limit gets around 35 mpg. I do very little city driving, almost all freeway with cruise control. I’ve kept the oil changed every 3500 miles and flushed the transition every year. I’ve only put brake pads once on the front. Deep snow, I drive my Toyota 4x4 truck, so I’m not sure how it drives in deep snow. I would buy this car again without hesitation. I’m 6 feet tall, and tip the scales at 240lbs. I feel safe driving this car and the seat position is excellent. With gas prices, I don’t see switching back to my truck any time soon as a daily driver. We will sell this car once our teenager is out of the house. I’m sure it will be a new Matrix given how this car has held up. Oh ya, the online yahoob video showing how to install the phone adaptor is spot on. Easy to do yourself."