• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2007 Toyota Matrix

Based on 517 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Absolutely LOVE this car!

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "great price, great gas mileage, dependable, cute"

"I bought this car brand new in 2003. When I drove it off the lot, it had 3 miles on it. I put those miles on with the test drive! Today, it just went over 237,000 miles. I've spent nearly 7 of the 10 years that I've owned this car making a 120+ mile daily round-trip commute to & from work. I've always kept up with the scheduled maintenance and the car has rewarded me by NEVER breaking down. The only expensive part I've had to replace was the catalytic converter, and that was just a few months ago. I fully expect to keep this car until at least 300,000 miles. Absolutely love it & dread the thought of parting with it!"

best little car I have ever had..

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

"It's like the Eveready Rabbit it just keeps going.."

roomy, reliable, great gas mileage

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Reason: sold to a relative who needs a good car

Pros: "lots of space; 33/36 MPG highway safe"

Cons: "get the XR with upgrades-worth it!"

"I've had the full XRT model with all bells and whistles, and this stripped down model. Both are safe (I walked away from an accident that totaled the car), good value, and get good MPG, but I recommend the upgraded version, it will be worth it in the long run. Handles well in the snowy icy backroads. Dont expect quick acceleration. You can fit ten 8' long 2x4 in this vehicle, or bags of feed, camping gear, etc. Handles decently on curves and hills for a car of its class. Excellent commuter car for country-to-city."

Talk about reliability

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good on gas, versatile, low owner cost"

"Call me crazy, but i was a student who was looking for a good value car. I found the Matrix xr 2003 and loved it. It had 130,000 miles on it and I still made the purchase. I have put an additional 100,000 miles on it. So it now has 230,000 miles total. It has been a great car. Aside getting new tires on it, there have been no major repairs, let alone breakdowns. I get great gas mileage 30+ and can go up to 400mpg (60mph)on a full tank of v-power fuel from shell. It has a power outlet that makes it easy to charge phones and other devices. It also has folding seats, all the seats can be folded giving it maximum room to fill when moving. This car is versatile and thats what makes it great. I've been on numerous road trips in different temperatures. The only ding in this review would be the starter. Whenever I fill up my tank, I have to start my engine twice before the engine keeps running. I was told the previous owner left the gas tank open for a while and thats what's caused this problem. I've had a couple mechanics look at it and they say its nothing major. However, I've been so impressed with the car that I'm willing to drive it until I get to the 300k mark and hopefully toyota can feature me in a commercial. ha."

Car has been SO reliable, great investment!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great for the price and 10 years!"

"This has been a great car, great investment, worth every penny, reliable and fun to drive. Lower front spoiler is a problem but other than that,great car!"

Reliable and great gas mileage

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Great purchase price, gas mileage, reliability."

Cons: "More insulation for a quieter interior."

"I've owned many cars in my life and this was my first Toyota. I bought it new in Aug,2006 and still own it. I have maintained it very well, doing most of the maintenance myself because it is easy on this car. This is the most reliable car I've have ever owned, never ever having to take it in for any repairs. Not even a light bulb has burned out on it. And for an all wheel drive car, it gets me 30 mpg consistently. When I first bought it, I thought I would only keep it for 3 yrs, but because I like it so much, hear I am at 6.5 years of ownership. My friends tell me, my Toyota still looks fairly new too..."

Great Car, Bad Hubs!!

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, Lot's of room and comfortable."

Cons: "What's with the Hub problems?"

"I don't know what's with this Matrix I have but I have changed out the front hubs 3 times! I replaced the front hubs once at 43,000 miles,then again at 60,000 miles and again at 85,000 miles!! Yes 3 Times because they have broken or rusted out. Mechanic couldn't understand it either. Overall the car is wonderful but I wouldn't buy another one due to the hub problem."

Love it

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Cant think of anything"

"Loved my matrix. It has been 4yrs since I crashed it yet i still talk about it. It is the best car i have ever owed. Great gas, interior, comfortability, etc."

Toyotas are trouble - BIG ZERO is my rating.

By on Saturday, October 27, 2012

Pros: "It runs"

Cons: "Can't get windows fixed right so I don't have to p"

"Last yr I had to have the back windows unstuck.I paid the dealer to fix the problem. One yr later I have the same problem and Toyota won't cover it. Don't buy a used Matrix."

The best luck with my Matrix, would buy it again

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "Gas mpg, excellent daily car, seats folding flat"

Cons: "Water stains on seats, small gas tank, road noise"

"I’ve been very happy with my 2005 Matrix. Purchased with 89,300 miles on it four years ago. I now have 156,000 miles on the car. Purchased from a 80 year old lady that bought it new. I put new expensive long life tires on the car, that cut down on road noise. The tires help with our Northwest winters in the Seattle area and our many trips to North Idaho to visit family in the winter. The car is good in the snow, stellar with driving in the rain. Our 17 year old daughter loves sleeping in the back of the car when camping. She loves how the seats fold flat for sleeping, and how the front seat folds over so she can place a laptop for watching movies. Even with the crazy number of miles on this car, I would have no problem driving the car across country as needed. The gas mileage around 31mpg regularly with my big foot, my wife who drives the speed limit gets around 35 mpg. I do very little city driving, almost all freeway with cruise control. I’ve kept the oil changed every 3500 miles and flushed the transition every year. I’ve only put brake pads once on the front. Deep snow, I drive my Toyota 4x4 truck, so I’m not sure how it drives in deep snow. I would buy this car again without hesitation. I’m 6 feet tall, and tip the scales at 240lbs. I feel safe driving this car and the seat position is excellent. With gas prices, I don’t see switching back to my truck any time soon as a daily driver. We will sell this car once our teenager is out of the house. I’m sure it will be a new Matrix given how this car has held up. Oh ya, the online yahoob video showing how to install the phone adaptor is spot on. Easy to do yourself."

I love my matrix

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Great value, no blind spot, sporty, great mpg"

Cons: "small engine"

"I've owned my 2005 Toyota Matrix since 2009. This car can handle anything I throw at it - I drive like a race car driver and take hard turns and speed around and she just gives me everything I want. My model is manual and it's so much fun to drive! Not a car for power hunger drivers, as the engine is only a four banger. The inside is so roomy, my friend calls my car "the Tardis", because it's bigger on the inside - it's easy to fit 4 adults comfortably in the car. The fold down back AND passenger seat lets me fit large cargo (moving is a breeze!) and the hard cover plastic on all these things lets me get messy without messing up my car. There are zero blind spots in this car and it's a toyota, so it's super reliable. I love my car, Bon Qui Qui!"

Great car, great MPG

By on Sunday, September 02, 2012

Pros: "Awesome MPG"

Cons: "Not much room for a family"

"I bought this car brand new in 2006, model year 2007. I do lots of highway driving commuting to work...almost 180k miles now with NO issues at all. I still average 32-34 MPG. I highly recommend this car!"

Zippy for a small car.

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "ecomomical dependable great in traffic"

Cons: "Seats lacking"

"I am older and find the seats to lack lumbar support and could use extra padding. They are comfortable enough for daily driving. As a commuter vehicle it is great. Fast pickup in the city. Great gas milage. No mechanical problems to date. For ecomomy it can not be beat."

Great Milage, Practical, lots of cargo space

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"Like it,"

Reliable, one of the best vehicles I have ever had

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "VERY reliable"

Cons: "One cup holder is smaller, no big deal cans fits"

"This car is fantastic. I have put many miles on this car - 122000 since buying it new in 2005. I have had almost no maitenence issues for the mileage and age. I get great gas mileage. I recommend my car to all people. Even with the Toyota recalls - I only had 1 and it took 15 minutes to fix the issue, and it really wasn't an issue. I love the design, space, and layout of the car. One of the best design features is the fact that the rear seats fold completely flat and have the plastic covers on the rear of the seats and base of the trunk space."

I love my car

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

"A mini suv...I love my car. It is very reliable, spacious for being a smaller car, gets good gas mileage and it looks good."

Best car I have ever qwned, reliable

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, cargo space and reliability"

Cons: "Power outlets shut off with key"

"This is the best car I've ever owned. It has been completely reliable and has excellent cargo space. Carries anything I can squeeze into it. I'm in a band and it carries all of my equipment including an entire PA system, 3 guitars, 2 amps and additional misc. items. 172,000 trouble free miles and I'm sure it will go another 172k and plan to keep it at least that much longer as it runs as good as the day I bought it and still gets 31 mpg highway. Its the 4 wheel drive model so it has never gotten 36 mpg. We can squeeze in 3 bails of hay or two 250 pound barrels of horse feed or a bunch of 12 foot 2x4's, if you flip down the front seat and open the back window."

2005 w/164,000 miles and still kicking

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"I do a ton of highway driving for work, and this is the best car I could have ever bought."

yes, it is noisy

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "noisy"

"but the 4 wd is great off road and in snow and does not cut into mileage much. carries a lot when you need to."

best car I've ever owned

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"I am retired, and this is the best auto I've ever owned. Road noise is loud, seat belts work terrible but I have yet to have a mechanic put a wrench to it except for oil changes."

This car has been great!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Toyota! It's a less boring Corolla."

Cons: "Premium fuel on XRS model"

"I have owned my Matrix XRS for almost two years now. I bought it with 125k miles on it and its almost at 180k and still drives like new. I drive a lot for my work and this car has been great. Even with my fairly aggressive driving, I still average about 28 MPG around town. The variable timing makes this motor come alive from about 6000-8500 rpm. It's no sports coupe but it is still pretty lively. The only thing I have had to replace was the A/C compressor, but I'm in AZ so that's sort of a given. Otherwise this car hasn't skipped a beat. The interior has held together pretty well. It fairly plasticky, but Toyota did a good job texturing it so it sort of has a faux leather look to it. I like the fabric on the seats. Its not the typical sedan fuzzy faux suede that most cars have.I'm work as a contractor and have a lot of equipment and tools. All of the seats just stay folded down and everything fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for a better car for my situation. Once I finish school though I'll probably upgrade to something a little more sporty like a Z or an MX-5. Or perhaps the new FR-S that's coming out soon."

Best vehicle I have every owned!!!!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Best vehicle I have every owned!!!! I would buy another one ...Oops I just did last week we need a 3rd family car. It is the same year different color with 110000 miles."

Best vehicle ever!!!!

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

"this is a really great car..i really recomend the same..i think the matrix is very reliable,comfortable,stable,economic..etc...well the best.."

worst Toyota I ever owned. a complete lemon.

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, that's about it"

Cons: "maintenance disaster, have to junk it"

"This was the first model year, and Toyota got everything wrong. Worst of all is the maintenance record: basically at 80000 it now needs a new catalytic converter, gear box, and transmission, for a total cost of more than 1/2 of what the car is worth. Now I have to junk it, as in CA you can't transfer title without a smog test. Not what I expected from Toyota. Gas mileage was never even close to EPA ratings."

One complete car that fits nearly anything

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Seats fold completely flat and fit almost anything"

Cons: "Seat to steering wheel distance weird for comfort"

"I love my Matrix for many reasons. The number one reason has got to be that it fits nearly anything. I went to IKEA and I fit a dining room table, five chairs, a 6' book shelf, TV stand, coffee table, two end tables, and two night-side tables inside all at once! I am not kidding! Plus, it gets better gas mileage as the car gets older - now it gets about 32 mpg. I love its style and it puts up with my abuse. It is very dependable. It has some quirks like trying to find the exact seat position to be comfy and the handling is a bit touchy, but overall, I love this car!"

See if you qualify for