2007 Toyota Matrix

Based on 548 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

I've loved my Matrix

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pros: "Excellent value, versatile, headroom, Never left me stranded!"

Cons: "Wheel cover clips break"

"125,000 miles and running strong! Really had only a couple of minor issues with it all the years I have had it (biggest one being the poor quality of the wheel covers as the clips that hold it on break from as simple as the mechanic servicing the car). I'd understand it if I hit a massive pothole or crunched it in a curb. Look around at how many Matrix's are missing a wheel cover or two for the 2003 and early year models. I have loved the versatility of the fold down rear seat. So many large items I have saved shipping on by picking them up myself. It has more headroom so we don't feel like we are in a smaller car. Still gets great gas mileage!"

Talk about reliability

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good on gas, versatile, low owner cost"

"Call me crazy, but i was a student who was looking for a good value car. I found the Matrix xr 2003 and loved it. It had 130,000 miles on it and I still made the purchase. I have put an additional 100,000 miles on it. So it now has 230,000 miles total. It has been a great car. Aside getting new tires on it, there have been no major repairs, let alone breakdowns. I get great gas mileage 30+ and can go up to 400mpg (60mph)on a full tank of v-power fuel from shell. It has a power outlet that makes it easy to charge phones and other devices. It also has folding seats, all the seats can be folded giving it maximum room to fill when moving. This car is versatile and thats what makes it great. I've been on numerous road trips in different temperatures. The only ding in this review would be the starter. Whenever I fill up my tank, I have to start my engine twice before the engine keeps running. I was told the previous owner left the gas tank open for a while and thats what's caused this problem. I've had a couple mechanics look at it and they say its nothing major. However, I've been so impressed with the car that I'm willing to drive it until I get to the 300k mark and hopefully toyota can feature me in a commercial. ha."

Reliable, one of the best vehicles I have ever had

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "VERY reliable"

Cons: "One cup holder is smaller, no big deal cans fits"

"This car is fantastic. I have put many miles on this car - 122000 since buying it new in 2005. I have had almost no maitenence issues for the mileage and age. I get great gas mileage. I recommend my car to all people. Even with the Toyota recalls - I only had 1 and it took 15 minutes to fix the issue, and it really wasn't an issue. I love the design, space, and layout of the car. One of the best design features is the fact that the rear seats fold completely flat and have the plastic covers on the rear of the seats and base of the trunk space."

Good, Bad & Ugly

By on Saturday, November 20, 2010

"GOOD A 2003 Matrix XRS 6 spd was my first ever Toyota. It's stylish, seats are comfortable, interior is roomy & very versatile. Good head room; easy to climb in/out. Good front & back leg room. Good gas mileage, 28/35. Timing chain vs timing belt. Fun to drive & responsive, but car leans slightly on curves; does not feel solidly grounded. BAD Driver can't stretch out left leg b/c of the foot rest; very uncomfortable for long trips. My husband complains about this. Dislike harsh red dash lights. Reverse next to 1st gear is a bad design; have had reverse warning bell chime in 1st gear believing reverse had been fully engaged. Also, 1st gear is geared too high, driver must press slightly on 'touchy' accelerator to go forward, otherwise car dies. Rubber trim around doors are thin & most doors have tears in rubber. Faux silver paint on back door driver side handle - is peeling off. No kids to blame for either problem. At 83K miles I had to replace B1S1 Oxygen sensor. Shortly thereafter, found out left inner & outer boots leak & needed replacing. At 115K miles - tensioner (to serpentine belt) needed replacing. UGLY Have had to replace clutch 2xs. Once at 63K & again at 112K miles @ around $900 a pop. Including original clutch - this is #3. (In comparison, I sold my Honda Civic w/205K miles on the original clutch.) My on board computer failed at 117K miles and cost over $1200 to replace. (The 2003 Matrix computers were not included in the "improperly manufactured" 2005-2008 Corolla Matrix recall announced earlier this year.) At 119K the the engine lite came on & computer pointed to a bad catalytic converter. Dealer charge for parts, labor & tax --> $1700.00. OUCH! Hope this helped someone."

Better than expected

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"Two plus years ago, I was looking for a dependable vehicle that would give me 30 mpg. Moving from a Q45, it was definitely a transition--but one I have never regretted. Yes, I would like it to be a little taller, like the new RAV4. But this vehicle is a great package at a great price. I've been able to put four adults in with enough headroom to wear hats. And I can still see the look on that guy who was driving an Expedition when he asked me if I had really just taken a washer AND a dryer out of my vehicle at the Salvation Army! I do plenty of driving and I have gone 6 hours straight without a backache. Many reviews talk about it being under-powered. It can be if you leave it in overdrive. But if you need more, take it out of that gear, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the power and ability to climb and accelerate. I still get 30 mpg doing this and shift in and out of overdrive for acceleration and braking. The trans is fantastic, especially at higher speeds. While normal mileage is at 40,000 for 2 1/2 years, I now have 57,000 and not a problem or reason to dislike my choice. Just the opposite- I think it was the perfect one and with the Michelin Pilots, I can maneuver as well as the Q45 and feel just as safe. The only item not resolved is a movement 'click' in the driver's seat which the dealer said is normal."

great vehicle!

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "good value, handling, reliability"

Cons: "not great paint"

"bought this car (a 2007) with 62,000 mi in 2010, and now have close to 104,000 mi. in 2013 and have had virtually no problems with it! needs snow tires in winter- but with them does great in new england's winters. slow to pick up speed getting onto highway, but once there maintains a fairly high speed with good handling. i'm a spirited driver and like the feel of this car. it's reliability, and cargo space make it a great "do all" vehicle. I'd recommend it to friends."

Love it...

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "reliable. fast and sporty."

Cons: "seats are firm"

"I bought mine used with85k miles and now 175k miles and has never let me down."

best choice for good looks and reliability

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "price to value. the car was a great value"

Cons: "sometimes we wish the car had a few more horsepowe"

"I bought this car brand new, I remember everybody used to ask me what kind of car it was because there were so few at the time. for 260, 000 miles, all I've done is change the oil every seven thousand miles a couple of sets of tires and a couple of tune ups. this car has never given us any problems. we've raised one child and a 150 pound Bernese Mountain Dog in this car and it is held up just fine. we originally bought this car for its high crash test ratings. we have decided to keep this car forever although we are going to get a new car soon. if you can find one in good shape and well taken care of by it would be a good car for college student as the interior has tons of space.I am 6 foot 2 and I fit in it just fine."

Zippy for a small car.

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "ecomomical dependable great in traffic"

Cons: "Seats lacking"

"I am older and find the seats to lack lumbar support and could use extra padding. They are comfortable enough for daily driving. As a commuter vehicle it is great. Fast pickup in the city. Great gas milage. No mechanical problems to date. For ecomomy it can not be beat."

A good comprimise

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I bought my 2004 Matrix XR used. I happened to be working for the dealership I bought it from. I didn't want a car payment so I was looking for something with good gas mileage and that was on the lower end of the price range. I was looking at the Mazda 3 wagon, the Honda Element, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic and the Pontiac vibe. The Element did not get the gas mileage I wanted. The Corolla screamed RENTAL CAR. Cant swing a dead cat with out hitting a CIVIC. so that left me with The Vibe(basically the matrix) and the Mazda 3. Putting the Vibe and the Matrix side by side the Matrix won out in looks. The XR has such a more aggressive look compared to the Vibe. I have never been a big fan of Mazda and with the weird back end on the Hatchback 3 The Matrix won out. This car is massive on the inside. I have been able to put a lawn mower in the back. I am 6 ft1 and 250 and I don't feel like I drive a clown car. I have had many Toyotas before and I am a big fan. However you can tell this is a joint venture with Pontiac. The fit and finish is not up to par with most Toyota's I have owned. Not saying that is a huge draw back for the price point. You can just really tell what parts came from Pontiac. The red dialed radio is the worst. The car preforms well. Not a power house but for city driving it does well. With gas prices hitting $3 a gallon it has never cost more than $30 to fill up. So to review, depending on the new body style I would be interested in a new Matrix but it would need more power and a better fit and finish. It is a fun car to drive."