• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2006 Toyota Matrix

Based on 522 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

240k 11 years, going strong & still looks great!

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, versatile, dependable, easy on gas"

Cons: "Trash console won't stay closed, no rear air vents"

"I love love love my matrix. I bought it brand new in 2003. It's an XRS with a moonroof. It's such a versatile car. All the seats including the passenger seat, fold down. I once got a large futon, frame and all in it. Even at 240k i still get around 27 mpg. I drove 45k the first year. It has been 90% garage kept and well maintained. After I hit 100k I took it to be tuned up annually- mostly belts, spark plugs and such that cost around $300-400. The catalytic converter went out in 2008. The fan went out in 2012 and the compressor went out in 2013. I replaced both. Around 170k the engine started idling louder, especially at drive through windows. I usually kick it into neutral if it's going to be a while. Nothing wrong with it, it's just older. All the power windows still work. Around 200k miles the emission system parts started giving an unfindable vapor leak. I've had a part replaced the last 2 only to have the check engine light come on again. The plastic components are just getting brittle after this long. It doesn't affect the drive or dependability of the car at all, just the ease of inspection. I'm going to replace it this summer only because I want something bigger since I have 2 kiddos now. The only complaints I have at all, are even brand new the 'garbage' console wouldn't stay closed and I hate how hot the grey car gets in the Texas heat. My next automobile will be white. It's been a fantastic car!!!!"

Beware and do your research

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

"Had to replace the clutch on this 2006 model in 2011, at about 50-60,000 miles. Cost $1,000. Three years later (when the odometer has just crossed the 100K mark), the clutch is slipping again. There are a lot of similar cases written about in online forums; just a quick search will show that this is a common problem with this vehicle. Such a serious and expensive design flaw from a maker with a reputation for quality and reliability. Not. Aside from the clutch, it has been a pretty good vehicle, with a lot of space for hauling doggies or other stuff. Brakes were replaced for the first time two months ago ($700); tires were replaced early on. I believe Toyota has a reputation for shabby tires. The heat shield came loose several months ago and a 'temporary' repair is holding. Without the clutch issue, I'd have a very positive report on this car...but the clutch is a deal-breaker, cost, safety and reliability-wise."

Can't beat the matrix!

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Well-designed, fuel efficient, reliable"

Cons: "not a 4 wheel drive"

"I love this car. It is very reliable, only minor repairs like new tires and brake pads. I went from a gas guzzler at 18 mpg to this which averages 30 to 33 mpg. For a car this size, you can load a lot of stuff. Very well designed to pack. I instantly knew I wanted this car when I drove it. (hadn't planned on even buying one at that time). Had it four years and 50, 000 miles later I still have a great car. Although I've always been a 4 wheel drive lover, I am surprised how well the front wheel drive performed in the snow in Wisconsin's hard winter. Know of at least 4 people who saw my car and then bought one like it."

White Steed

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Taught handling, durability, winter prowess"

Cons: "Ride can be harsh, large blind spot, rear legroom"

All waxed up, shining in the sun

"Fourth owner of this particular 'trix. Very satisfied. Had it two years and have put over 35k miles on it. No complaints. Only major part I've had to replace is one wheel bearing, and I'm pretty sure that was my fault for taking it off road in the hills near where I live and trouncing through mud and rocks. That was fun. It's a great dog car, and takes a beating. It handles snow with aplomb, which is great for me and my wife, since we travel over mountain passes frequently, especially during the holidays. A nice buy, it's held its value pretty well, and I intend to keep it as long as I can use it to rack up miles on long trips. A good little pony that can go the distance."

All waxed up, shining in the sun

One of the best

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

"I am 6'5" and fit in the drivers seat even on long trips. On numerous trips to northern New England (770 miles), I consistently average about 42 MPG! Lots of carrying space with rear seat folded down"