• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2006 Toyota Matrix

Based on 520 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

i love this car I have Driv it for the past 8 yr

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive but as toyotas go high priced"

Cons: "Too light to drive in wi ter without snow tires"

"Love almost everything about this car. Except the drive in the winter, it is too light and seems to get stuck in very little snow. Perhaps snow ties would work, but hubby doesn't want to bother changing tires every winter"

Reliable, great cargo space

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great cargo space"

Cons: "Ugly"

"This car has been great for 114,000 miles so far. It hardly ever needs repair. I bought it because of the versatile cargo space, and it has worked out fine for carrying musical instruments and kayaking gear. The interior is well thought out with rings for attaching straps or bungie cords, seats that fold flat and a front seat whose back folds forward. We can carry an 8-ft. ladder without even leaving the hatchback open. The only downside is that the car is ugly. Later models left off the "whiskers." Sorry to see the Matrix go."

Loved this car.

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Reason: Wife could not drive a manual.

"Pros. Gas mileage. 30-35. Never got less than 27 mpg even when I drove it with my foot to the floor constantly. Fun to drive! Always had a blast. And if need be, this thing could go anywhere and do anything. Comfort. Never got uncomfortable on those long drives. Quiet. Quiet inside and out. Not a lot of engine noise or wind noise. Stero. Speakers were great, easy controls. Durable. Everything was durable about this car. nothing ever broke. Price. Car was dirt cheap and great value for money. Cons. Not enough power. Could have used another 20hp for passing. Gearbox. Also could have used a sixth gear. Ran 3000 rpm on the highway. But with a 1.8 it didn't use a lot of gas at that rpm anyway."

Worth every penny

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

"This car has completely changed my mind about Toyota and Scion. In 2005, I bought this car for $17k and it has been worth every penny. It has about 400,000 miles on it and it's still running extremely well. Unfortunately, Toyota only programmed the odometers to 299,999 miles, so I have been using the tripometer for the rest. Overall, I am very sad to see that Toyota has discontinued the Matrix model."

Great Utility and Practicality in a Sporty Package

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage, cargo space"

Cons: "lack of torque, 91 octane or higher gas"

"I have owned my '06 Matrix XRS for almost eight years now and have 166,000 miles on it. To this point, I have changed the oil, rotated tires, and changed the front brake pads. It has been reliable beyond my imagination and is very practical for my lifestyle. It has four doors so I can transport the kids. It has a big hatch so I can get the groceries....and when I put the back seats down, I can fit my bass rig and small PA in the back no problem. The six speed manual transmission is smooth for the most part and the performance is second to none in a car like this. The Yamaha 2ZZ engine has great pep and top end speed. As far as performance, my only hang-up is the lack of above average torque, but other than that, it's great. It has been a great car for and I have more than got my money's worth out of it."