2005 Toyota Matrix

Based on 561 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Great car, great MPG

By on Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pros: "Awesome MPG"

Cons: "Not much room for a family"

"I bought this car brand new in 2006, model year 2007. I do lots of highway driving commuting to work...almost 180k miles now with NO issues at all. I still average 32-34 MPG. I highly recommend this car!"

Good reliable car with lots of space

By on Monday, November 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "No anti-lock brakes and body seems easily dented"

"It's a good, reliable car. I've had mine since Oct 2006 and have had no mechanical problems. I purchased the Toyota extended warranty for about $500 for piece of mind and haven't had to use it yet. No interior problems. My only issues with the car is that it doesn't hande that well in the rain or snow (at least compared to the VW's I've owned) and the hood and body seem to dent easily (acorns dented it in multiple spots on a windy day). My model also didn't have anti-lock brakes which may be another reason it doesn't handle that well. But, the car is very reliable and inexpensive, and if thats what you want, its a great deal. My list was $19,500 and I talked the dealer down to $17,414."

Great vehicle best I've had in many years

By on Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Pros: "reliable, great gas milage"

Cons: "body style, front bumper air dam to close to the ground"

"The driver side windo does stick. It was recalled to repair it. Mechanically is very reliable a very good multi purpose vehicle. Body style does lend it's self to dings and dents. The front bumper air dam will not clear curbs. I would buy the car again"

Great crossover vehicle

By on Thursday, July 8, 2010

"I bought my Matrix new almost 7 years ago. The only major repair has been the clutch at 35K miles. It's been 100K miles on the new clutch with no problems. The additional horsepower of the XRS is very good for passing cars and merging into traffic. And the 6-speed is fun to drive but is tedious in stop-and-go traffic. When gas was $4/gal, I switched from premium gas to regular with no knocking or other problems. I've used it to haul so many things: help people move, get my lawn mower repaired, lumber for home improvement, etc.. I'm 6 ft. tall and my head never touches the ceiling."

Greatest Car Ever Owned!

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"We purchased this car used in 2005 with only 20,000 miles on it. Having only ever owned German cars, I was aprehensive to buy a Toyota. But I was sold after shifting into 3rd gear during my test drive! This is hands down the greatest car I've ever owned. We had the 6 speed, and got on average 36 miles to a gallon! Not only does the XRS sport package add a sexy look to the car, but it drives incredibly. Even on long road trips! And the functionality of the rear hatch and flat-fold down backseats is invaluable. My husband was rear-ended this week by a woman driving 45mph. She didn't attempt to stop and plowed right into him while he sat at a read light. I'm thrilled to say my husband walked away with just whiplash. The car absorbed the impact - it was totaled - but my husband didn't endure a scratch. If I could find another 2003 MATRIX XRS, I'd buy one in a heartbeat! And recommend the car to any driver on the road."