2005 Toyota Matrix

Based on 559 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

I've loved my Matrix

By on Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Pros: "Excellent value, versatile, headroom, Never left me stranded!"

Cons: "Wheel cover clips break"

"125,000 miles and running strong! Really had only a couple of minor issues with it all the years I have had it (biggest one being the poor quality of the wheel covers as the clips that hold it on break from as simple as the mechanic servicing the car). I'd understand it if I hit a massive pothole or crunched it in a curb. Look around at how many Matrix's are missing a wheel cover or two for the 2003 and early year models. I have loved the versatility of the fold down rear seat. So many large items I have saved shipping on by picking them up myself. It has more headroom so we don't feel like we are in a smaller car. Still gets great gas mileage!"

Talk about reliability

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, good on gas, versatile, low owner cost"

"Call me crazy, but i was a student who was looking for a good value car. I found the Matrix xr 2003 and loved it. It had 130,000 miles on it and I still made the purchase. I have put an additional 100,000 miles on it. So it now has 230,000 miles total. It has been a great car. Aside getting new tires on it, there have been no major repairs, let alone breakdowns. I get great gas mileage 30+ and can go up to 400mpg (60mph)on a full tank of v-power fuel from shell. It has a power outlet that makes it easy to charge phones and other devices. It also has folding seats, all the seats can be folded giving it maximum room to fill when moving. This car is versatile and thats what makes it great. I've been on numerous road trips in different temperatures. The only ding in this review would be the starter. Whenever I fill up my tank, I have to start my engine twice before the engine keeps running. I was told the previous owner left the gas tank open for a while and thats what's caused this problem. I've had a couple mechanics look at it and they say its nothing major. However, I've been so impressed with the car that I'm willing to drive it until I get to the 300k mark and hopefully toyota can feature me in a commercial. ha."

Reliable, one of the best vehicles I have ever had

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "VERY reliable"

Cons: "One cup holder is smaller, no big deal cans fits"

"This car is fantastic. I have put many miles on this car - 122000 since buying it new in 2005. I have had almost no maitenence issues for the mileage and age. I get great gas mileage. I recommend my car to all people. Even with the Toyota recalls - I only had 1 and it took 15 minutes to fix the issue, and it really wasn't an issue. I love the design, space, and layout of the car. One of the best design features is the fact that the rear seats fold completely flat and have the plastic covers on the rear of the seats and base of the trunk space."

Better than expected

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"Two plus years ago, I was looking for a dependable vehicle that would give me 30 mpg. Moving from a Q45, it was definitely a transition--but one I have never regretted. Yes, I would like it to be a little taller, like the new RAV4. But this vehicle is a great package at a great price. I've been able to put four adults in with enough headroom to wear hats. And I can still see the look on that guy who was driving an Expedition when he asked me if I had really just taken a washer AND a dryer out of my vehicle at the Salvation Army! I do plenty of driving and I have gone 6 hours straight without a backache. Many reviews talk about it being under-powered. It can be if you leave it in overdrive. But if you need more, take it out of that gear, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the power and ability to climb and accelerate. I still get 30 mpg doing this and shift in and out of overdrive for acceleration and braking. The trans is fantastic, especially at higher speeds. While normal mileage is at 40,000 for 2 1/2 years, I now have 57,000 and not a problem or reason to dislike my choice. Just the opposite- I think it was the perfect one and with the Michelin Pilots, I can maneuver as well as the Q45 and feel just as safe. The only item not resolved is a movement 'click' in the driver's seat which the dealer said is normal."

great vehicle!

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "good value, handling, reliability"

Cons: "not great paint"

"bought this car (a 2007) with 62,000 mi in 2010, and now have close to 104,000 mi. in 2013 and have had virtually no problems with it! needs snow tires in winter- but with them does great in new england's winters. slow to pick up speed getting onto highway, but once there maintains a fairly high speed with good handling. i'm a spirited driver and like the feel of this car. it's reliability, and cargo space make it a great "do all" vehicle. I'd recommend it to friends."