• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2005 Toyota Matrix

Based on 517 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Worth every penny

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

"This car has completely changed my mind about Toyota and Scion. In 2005, I bought this car for $17k and it has been worth every penny. It has about 400,000 miles on it and it's still running extremely well. Unfortunately, Toyota only programmed the odometers to 299,999 miles, so I have been using the tripometer for the rest. Overall, I am very sad to see that Toyota has discontinued the Matrix model."

Great Utility and Practicality in a Sporty Package

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage, cargo space"

Cons: "lack of torque, 91 octane or higher gas"

"I have owned my '06 Matrix XRS for almost eight years now and have 166,000 miles on it. To this point, I have changed the oil, rotated tires, and changed the front brake pads. It has been reliable beyond my imagination and is very practical for my lifestyle. It has four doors so I can transport the kids. It has a big hatch so I can get the groceries....and when I put the back seats down, I can fit my bass rig and small PA in the back no problem. The six speed manual transmission is smooth for the most part and the performance is second to none in a car like this. The Yamaha 2ZZ engine has great pep and top end speed. As far as performance, my only hang-up is the lack of above average torque, but other than that, it's great. It has been a great car for and I have more than got my money's worth out of it."

This is a quality car!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Great value, interior nice, handling, mileage"

Cons: "Too short for tall people, sound system."

"I love this car. I had a suspension issue the first year or two. A young man in a tire place fixed it using a little creativity. I haven't had a problems since. I've always gotten over 34 highway, and the handling has been as good as I've ever driven. I use rentals a lot in my work--even just off the lot stuff. This car always out shines (even newer Toyotas) other makes. I love that it can fold down to haul most small loads. I once drove 400 miles with a load of lumber flooring in the back. My only issue is that my son, who is 6'3" can't really sit comfortably. Otherwise, the longer I've owned it the better it runs--even seems a little more powerful. I am looking for something that can do more off-road travel, but I sure hate to give up this honey of a car,"

I love my Toyota Matrix!!!

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "easy, fun, practical, cost effective"

Cons: "Center console cup holders are to close together"

"This has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. The seats fold flat giving a huge amount of interior cargo space for hauling things, but it is also a great passenger car. comfortable. Easy to drive. Great gas mileage. Easy turn ratio and handling."

Reliable daily driver

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; low ownership cost; interior cargo rm"

Cons: "Mileage ~ 29; lots of plastic"

"Bought a 2008 new in 2007, and have put 120K miles on it so far. Zero repairs! Just normal maintenance (tires, brakes, hoses, etc); still running same battery after seven years. Amazing little car - has more room inside, with the seats folded, than just about any other car in its class. My (grown) children will tease about the "nerdiness" of the Matrix, but they all borrow it when they need to move, haul furniture (smaller pieces), or travel w/o worrying about reliability! Only complaint: 1) for a 1.8 4-cylinder, it should be getting better than 29 combined MPG. I've routinely averaged 29 combined, best hiway mileage ever was 32. 2) Materials are not highest quality - it looks fine, but it's all plastic. Best qualities: Maintenance free; rock solid reliability in all weather; interior space; easy to park anywhere. Buy it! It's a shame Toyota is abandoning the Matrix."

See if you qualify for