2004 Toyota Matrix

Based on 551 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Crash Tested

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"We've owned this car for about two years, and haven't had any major problems, other than a computer problem that was covered under warranty. Yesterday my 17 mo. old son and I were hit driving our Matrix and the car rolled once and landed on its side. We were completely safe - neither of us were more hurt than seatbelt burns. So anyway, I feel like we just personally crash tested this vehicle, and for accidents around 40-45 mph, it's a pretty safe car. I would buy another one in a heart beat."

No Problems - EVER

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"I've had this vehicle for 3 years now and have had absolutely no problems with it. It's got more cargo space than my previous vehicle (Jeep). ANYTHING fits in the back! I've hauled things you can't imagine. The gas mileage is more than acceptable for an all wheel drive vehicle. The ONLY bad thing I have to say is that the stereo speakers are TOTALLY LAME!"

I love it so far...

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I've only had this car for about two weeks now...but I LOVE it thus far. It's peppy, fairly comfortable (I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars for comfort because I am short and its hard to reach the petals with my seat all the way up, lol). The only reaon complaint I have is that coming from a Honda Civic to this car...the gas mileage is WAY less. Other than that, I am VERY happy!"

Love my Matrix

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"This car is like an SUV without the price tag and gas consumption. I can fit my kayak in the car with the seats folded down. The custom made pet barrier accomodates my 65 lb dog and keeps him safely confined in the back compartment. This is the first car I plan on keeping for as long as I can."

Quick with a Stick

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I've read some reviews that said the car is gutless. The automatics are, the XRS 6-speed is definitely NOT. I'm glad the teenagers haven't discovered this car. They wouldn't know how to handle the excelleration. I work on the road and this car has handled the abuse over the last 3yrs wonderfully. I'll buy another when this one wares out, in 10 yrs."

Great Runabout

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"This has been a great runabout car. I haul everything in it. There are only 2 things I would change. The first would be the ground effects in the front. They are too low and scrape all the curbs. Secondly, I would change the icons on the CD player, they rub off. Besure to get tinted windows if you live in the sunny south."

awesome fuel mileage

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"I have had my Matrix for 2.5 years and have loved it. I will definitely consider another one when I am ready to buy again!"

Solid Car

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"Best small car I have ever owned, and I have had few of them. Great Gas mileage, nice fit, solid car. Great to haul things since it has the room in the back. I will buy another toyota !"

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"My Matrix XRs is terrific! Roomier than it looks . . . I actually have gotten two toddler car seats with a booster seat between them in the back seat. Front seats are molded and comfortable, especially for somepone with lower back problems. The cargo space is more than adequate also. Only complaint is that my motorolla charger continually blows the fuse in the console box outlet and the upholstry stains fairly easy. Also, wasn't told by sales person that this particular model requires PREMIUM gasoline and has HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRES. But I guess that the trade off is great gas mileage. All-in-all, great value for the money."

2006 Toyota Matrix is good value

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I've had my Toyota Matrix XR for about 1 year and I think it's a GREAT car. I love it. My gas millage is around 28-31 and most of my driving is on the freeway (80%). Not a big performer for top speed but from a stop sign (to fling over to the other lane in a hurry) this car is very quick. With 15000 miles on it, there has not been 1 glitch, anywhere. No rattles, squeaks or flaws. Highly recommended"

Near Perfect

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"Pretty much everything I want in a car. By keeping the speed around 65 MPH, I have gotten close to 37 MPG on the highway. Why I took off stars: Quality - Should have opted for the sport wheels. The low end stock tires wore out within 30K, and we lost 3 hubcaps before 70K. Otherwise, it feels very well built. Performance - Come on, it is no sportster. However, whenever I travel and drive a rental, I love coming home and getting behind the wheel of the Matrix and zipping around. Manual tranny helps, I think. Styling - I think it looks little like a van or wagon, but that's a price of the surprising hauling capacity of the hatch. Comfort - Come on, its no luxury car. Not completely noise or bump free on the highway. But it carries my 6' 2" without cramping or stiffness."

I would buy this car over and over again

By on Wednesday, August 05, 2015

"I purchased the 2006 Matrix brand new and it's the most reliable car I've ever owned. I put a lot of miles on this baby, but she never disappoints. Just do the normal maintenance and I've haven't had any issues yet. Because of the Matrix I will never buy outside of Toyota again. All the seats can be folded over to transport larger items. Great mileage. Roomy. Versatile. Reliable."

Great car

By on Sunday, March 01, 2015

Pros: "Good mileage, dependable, fair price"

Cons: "Original tires were shot after 25,000 miles"

"I have 197000 on this car and until recently had only replaced front brakes and battery. I get around 30-32 mpg on combined city/highway driving. The cargo space is great, especially with the back seats being folded. Sorry to see they will stop importing to USA."

Loved driving Matrixie for 10 years

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Good head room, sound system, hauling"

Cons: "No luxury, not a performance car"

"Although my 2003 Toyota Matrix is not the most luxurious car, it has been reliable, spacious for hauling people and stuff, fuel efficient, cool in summer and warm in winter. I recently drove my car over 4000 miles in a few months and had no complaints. I am worried I won't be able to find a car as good when it comes time (sniff) to trade her in. The only repairs I have had are a wheel bearing on the front passenger side and replacement of the driver's door control panel which I purchased used. I would definitely recommend this car."

Best Car Ever Owned.

By on Monday, June 24, 2013

"My 2003 Matrix continues to be a real trooper! Made side by side with Pontiac Vibe by New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI) in Fremont, California, this venture proved to be an outstanding commitment to excellence. With the exception of an O2 sensor gone bad at 160K, this vehicle has never had a problem. The 4-speed manual has averaged 32 mpg since the day I drove it off the lot. Running on my third set of tires, I'm on the second set of brake pads and original struts. The air conditioner blows cold to this day. And if you're into hauling cargo, you'll not find a more spacious car in its class. If you can lay your hands on a used one, BUY IT!"

If your looking for more than a Corolla...

By on Thursday, May 16, 2013

Reason: extra vehicle - no longer needed

Pros: "gas mileage, options, reliability."

Cons: "Slow accel to freeway speeds sluggish transmission"

"Good on gas, reliable. It is not the fastest car on the road, but it gets you from A to B on without trouble. Keep it maintained and it will last a long time!"

Mr

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

"very reliable good enough road car 30-32 mpg great load capacity and easy to configure will carry 2 sets golf clubs w/seats up *wish front power outlet was 'hot' so I could charge my cell and lock car*"

A Great, Reliable Car

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "This car has maintained it's value over time"

Cons: "Visibilty thru rear window, poor back support."

"I love this car. Even though it is a little unattractive and it's looks has never grown on me, it has made up for it with extreme reliability over past 7 years. Because it was not a fancier model, it was not subject to all the recalls and problems of the other Toyotas. I can transport just about anything I want and travel with lots of luggage. I have actually gotten up to 37 mpg on the road. Maintenance has been only routine so far. It was necessary to adjust to the visibility restriction through the back window. My main complaint is that the driver's seat has no back support. This car has retained it's Kelly Blue Book value better than most cars."

I love my litte Matrix. It is peppy and fun

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Great steering, especially with new tires"

Cons: "My knees getting too old for clutch - very sad"

"Plenty of room in back Fun, perky to drive Great sound system"

best -most reliable vehicle.

By on Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Pros: "great car-no big repairs- well made, fun, beach."

Cons: "sports package is low at times"

"This has been the best vehicle we have had. We have had many Japanese vehicles (Honda and Toyota) but this one has been really painless. Oil and Tires. We have children and do a good amount of highway travel. It has been great and we love the standard house plug in the dash - so handy. I have even plugged in a drill and use the car as a mobile generator to work at times. Also, it is so easy to stack lots of wood for construction into this car. The seats fold down nice and flat. Also, this car is fun to drive."

By on Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"I have owned a 2003 Matrix and have done just the usual maintenence. All I can say is what an awesome car."

Reliable fun car!

By on Thursday, February 03, 2011

"Bought new in august of 2005, our 06 matrix has never let us down, in 5 years and 2 months of ownership, no problems AT ALL besides the usual maintenance, motor and tranny oil, tires, battery etc., it has been a great daily driver, also on long trips, especially for it's fuel economy. By far the best car we've ever owned!"

By on Friday, July 23, 2010

"paid around $16,000 for it and now have 200,000 miles on it. got every penny I paid for it!"

The freak

By on Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"We bought this Matrix new 8 years ago and it still has the original brakes with 45K miles, paint excellent, no service issues at all. We call it the freak because it looks new and has never been a problem."

Nice, economical car, depreciates fast.

By on Thursday, July 08, 2010

"Great car, lots of storage space. Reliable but loud and gutless motor. Average around 29.8mpg. Cheap interior but very roomy(tons of head room)."