2004 Toyota Matrix

Based on 548 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

A good comprimise

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"I bought my 2004 Matrix XR used. I happened to be working for the dealership I bought it from. I didn't want a car payment so I was looking for something with good gas mileage and that was on the lower end of the price range. I was looking at the Mazda 3 wagon, the Honda Element, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic and the Pontiac vibe. The Element did not get the gas mileage I wanted. The Corolla screamed RENTAL CAR. Cant swing a dead cat with out hitting a CIVIC. so that left me with The Vibe(basically the matrix) and the Mazda 3. Putting the Vibe and the Matrix side by side the Matrix won out in looks. The XR has such a more aggressive look compared to the Vibe. I have never been a big fan of Mazda and with the weird back end on the Hatchback 3 The Matrix won out. This car is massive on the inside. I have been able to put a lawn mower in the back. I am 6 ft1 and 250 and I don't feel like I drive a clown car. I have had many Toyotas before and I am a big fan. However you can tell this is a joint venture with Pontiac. The fit and finish is not up to par with most Toyota's I have owned. Not saying that is a huge draw back for the price point. You can just really tell what parts came from Pontiac. The red dialed radio is the worst. The car preforms well. Not a power house but for city driving it does well. With gas prices hitting $3 a gallon it has never cost more than $30 to fill up. So to review, depending on the new body style I would be interested in a new Matrix but it would need more power and a better fit and finish. It is a fun car to drive."

Can't beat the matrix!

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Well-designed, fuel efficient, reliable"

Cons: "not a 4 wheel drive"

"I love this car. It is very reliable, only minor repairs like new tires and brake pads. I went from a gas guzzler at 18 mpg to this which averages 30 to 33 mpg. For a car this size, you can load a lot of stuff. Very well designed to pack. I instantly knew I wanted this car when I drove it. (hadn't planned on even buying one at that time). Had it four years and 50, 000 miles later I still have a great car. Although I've always been a 4 wheel drive lover, I am surprised how well the front wheel drive performed in the snow in Wisconsin's hard winter. Know of at least 4 people who saw my car and then bought one like it."

Bought, but planned to sell. Best investment.

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Doesn't accelerate very quickly (4cyl)"

"I bought this car knowing I would either a) keep it forever and ever, or b) sell it in a few years. I did my homework when buying this car and chose it because of it's: 1) Low VOC's after baking in the hot sun for days/hours. It never stank like plastic. 2) Reliability. It never broke down. WHen a tire started to leak, it alerted me. 3) Resale value. I kept it very clean. I owe $5000 on it. It's worth $8700 on KBB. Yessssssss 4) It's a good looking car. I don't feel frumpy- I feel cool, and know I'm safe at the same time. 5) I may never buy another car in all y life."

Reliable and great gas mileage

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "Great purchase price, gas mileage, reliability."

Cons: "More insulation for a quieter interior."

"I've owned many cars in my life and this was my first Toyota. I bought it new in Aug,2006 and still own it. I have maintained it very well, doing most of the maintenance myself because it is easy on this car. This is the most reliable car I've have ever owned, never ever having to take it in for any repairs. Not even a light bulb has burned out on it. And for an all wheel drive car, it gets me 30 mpg consistently. When I first bought it, I thought I would only keep it for 3 yrs, but because I like it so much, hear I am at 6.5 years of ownership. My friends tell me, my Toyota still looks fairly new too..."

I love my matrix

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "Great value, no blind spot, sporty, great mpg"

Cons: "small engine"

"I've owned my 2005 Toyota Matrix since 2009. This car can handle anything I throw at it - I drive like a race car driver and take hard turns and speed around and she just gives me everything I want. My model is manual and it's so much fun to drive! Not a car for power hunger drivers, as the engine is only a four banger. The inside is so roomy, my friend calls my car "the Tardis", because it's bigger on the inside - it's easy to fit 4 adults comfortably in the car. The fold down back AND passenger seat lets me fit large cargo (moving is a breeze!) and the hard cover plastic on all these things lets me get messy without messing up my car. There are zero blind spots in this car and it's a toyota, so it's super reliable. I love my car, Bon Qui Qui!"