2004 Toyota Matrix

Based on 532 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Glad to have owned one

By on Sunday, November 23, 2014

Pros: "Roomy, handles well, seats fold flat in back"

Cons: "A little bit chintzy and plastic interior-wise"

"The car was used for my delivery job. The flat seat fold-down feature was the initial selling point, but I quickly appreciated its handling after the first drive on a country road. I passed it on to my kids, and if the the little swine had not let it run dry of oil, they'd probably still be driving it today!"

Great car for the money

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Unfortunately this model is no longer manufactured"

"Great car but did have trouble with the front skirting. It came loose three times. Once with no apparent reason, once after being backed into fairly lightly and once after hitting a bump in the road. Two of the three times portions of it needed to be replaced costing a total of $500 ($250 each time). Otherwise no real problems that were not covered by warranty."

It's just a Corolla Wagon

By on Saturday, November 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Great Gas Mileage, lots of room"

Cons: "None really"

"Meaning, it is a very reliable car. I get 34mpg even with the Automatic. Plenty of room. My only gripe was when I put Studded Snow tires on. I just didn't trust it. Solved that by going to the Studless Alternative Snow tire, Toyo Observe. Problem solved. I hope it lasts the 18 years like the last Corolla Wagon I had."

I will never give up this car!

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "Great car!"

Cons: "They changed the design in newer models,"

"Purchased this car about 6 years ago when it was 4 years old. Mechanically I haven't had a day of trouble. I've done routine work, brakes, tires, oil change, but nothing significant. Fortunately, I've only used the car locally, so it is only at 60k, which no doubt contributes to it's longevity. This Matrix is easy to drive, always peppy, maneuvers very nicely. One outstanding feature is the rear storage. Back seats fold either together or individually to create an even larger area for putting things. I can not stress enough just how much storage this car has. FYI even the front passenger seat folds down, which sure makes carrying that Christmas tree a breeze. There is NOTHING that I do not love about this 2004 Toyota Matrix. If all goes well, I plan to keep this one for ever."

Love it

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

"great car, fun to drive, quick enough, functional."

Great car, very reliable!!

By on Friday, October 03, 2014

Pros: "lots of cargo room, fun car"

"I have almost 275,000 miles on my car, still runs perfectly, no oil usage. I did put synthetic oil from day purchased, but this is truly a fun, reliable car. You can haul furniture in it when seats down, zip around having fun ( I have the 5 speed manual). Still gets GREAT gas mileage even with all these miles. Truly recommend car!"

Great car

By on Thursday, October 02, 2014

"This car has been super reliable. I have had it for 7 years, bought it used with 50,000 miles on it, and it now has 110,000. The only things it's ever been in the shop for were the scheduled maintenance and new brake pads (once). I plan to keep it running for another 100,000"

Great concept; sorry to see production end.

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"Plusses: Ease of entry/exit, chair-like seating, front and rear leg room, fold-flat rear seat, huge cargo volume, bullet-proof body and powertrain, good fuel economy, timeless styling; very durable paint job. Minuses: Loose heat and splash shields (noisy, annoying, expensive); carpeting and upholstery not thrilling; vision to rear and rear quarters limited. Verdict: Highly recommend to anyone; a shame TMMC halted production in favor of Corolla sedan."

Awesome Car

By on Thursday, September 04, 2014

Pros: "Great seats, super reliable, hauls tons of stuff"

Cons: "The paint job is terrible, gets weird stains"

"I love this car. It drives well, has held up really well, and can fit tons of stuff in the back with the seats down. The seats are really comfortable and are great for long trips, and the speakers are wonderful. The paint job is pretty bad, but the rest of the car is so great that I almost don't care."

Most versitile car owned to date.

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "Versatility, decent gas mileage, good head room."

Cons: "Outside cabin noise, no backseat vents."

"I bought this car brand new in November 2002. It has served me well these past 12 years. It has taken me on several road trips and lugged home plenty of medium to large furniture pieces, lumber, and plenty of messy gardening materials. I love the fact that when the back seats are folded down they are completely flat - same for the front passenger seat (no slight incline) and the backs are covered in durable plastic making dirt and potting soil easy to clean up. However, due to having a child with a bad case of motion sickness that he will not outgrow, I now need a car with air vents dedicated for the backseat. I can also say that I traded in a 1999 Monte Carlo for this car because the Monte Carlo's seats made my lower back hurt and I needed a 4 door car. I have never ever had that problem with the seats in the Matrix. My son is now 4 years old and it accomodated the rear facing infant seat and the next size up in rear facing baby seats just fine. The suspension is a bit hard when on a bumpy road, but that comes with the territory for small cars like this. I still get compliments on it as I went with the dark blue Toyota called at that time "Indigo Ink Blue". Wish they still had that color on their current vehicle line up. It's going to be hard to let it go, but we cannot keep more than 2 cars."

I love this car!

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

"This is a great car. I bought it used and have ran this car all over the country. Not one single problem, ever. I love the great gas milage it gets, the comfort, and the room it allows. I recommend this car for anyone."

Very reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Pros: "Parts are not expensive"

Cons: "Interior stereo buttons,not the best but they work"

"Great car...one of toyotas best vehicles build in that year, toy try to buy back this auto from me at least twice,,,,,30mpg city and 40mpg hwy not bad for a 2004"

i love this car I have Driv it for the past 8 yr

By on Friday, August 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive but as toyotas go high priced"

Cons: "Too light to drive in wi ter without snow tires"

"Love almost everything about this car. Except the drive in the winter, it is too light and seems to get stuck in very little snow. Perhaps snow ties would work, but hubby doesn't want to bother changing tires every winter"

Reliable, great cargo space

By on Thursday, July 31, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, great cargo space"

Cons: "Ugly"

"This car has been great for 114,000 miles so far. It hardly ever needs repair. I bought it because of the versatile cargo space, and it has worked out fine for carrying musical instruments and kayaking gear. The interior is well thought out with rings for attaching straps or bungie cords, seats that fold flat and a front seat whose back folds forward. We can carry an 8-ft. ladder without even leaving the hatchback open. The only downside is that the car is ugly. Later models left off the "whiskers." Sorry to see the Matrix go."

Loved this car.

By on Saturday, July 26, 2014

Reason: Wife could not drive a manual.

"Pros. Gas mileage. 30-35. Never got less than 27 mpg even when I drove it with my foot to the floor constantly. Fun to drive! Always had a blast. And if need be, this thing could go anywhere and do anything. Comfort. Never got uncomfortable on those long drives. Quiet. Quiet inside and out. Not a lot of engine noise or wind noise. Stero. Speakers were great, easy controls. Durable. Everything was durable about this car. nothing ever broke. Price. Car was dirt cheap and great value for money. Cons. Not enough power. Could have used another 20hp for passing. Gearbox. Also could have used a sixth gear. Ran 3000 rpm on the highway. But with a 1.8 it didn't use a lot of gas at that rpm anyway."

Worth every penny

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

"This car has completely changed my mind about Toyota and Scion. In 2005, I bought this car for $17k and it has been worth every penny. It has about 400,000 miles on it and it's still running extremely well. Unfortunately, Toyota only programmed the odometers to 299,999 miles, so I have been using the tripometer for the rest. Overall, I am very sad to see that Toyota has discontinued the Matrix model."

Great Utility and Practicality in a Sporty Package

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, decent gas mileage, cargo space"

Cons: "lack of torque, 91 octane or higher gas"

"I have owned my '06 Matrix XRS for almost eight years now and have 166,000 miles on it. To this point, I have changed the oil, rotated tires, and changed the front brake pads. It has been reliable beyond my imagination and is very practical for my lifestyle. It has four doors so I can transport the kids. It has a big hatch so I can get the groceries....and when I put the back seats down, I can fit my bass rig and small PA in the back no problem. The six speed manual transmission is smooth for the most part and the performance is second to none in a car like this. The Yamaha 2ZZ engine has great pep and top end speed. As far as performance, my only hang-up is the lack of above average torque, but other than that, it's great. It has been a great car for and I have more than got my money's worth out of it."

This is a quality car!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Great value, interior nice, handling, mileage"

Cons: "Too short for tall people, sound system."

"I love this car. I had a suspension issue the first year or two. A young man in a tire place fixed it using a little creativity. I haven't had a problems since. I've always gotten over 34 highway, and the handling has been as good as I've ever driven. I use rentals a lot in my work--even just off the lot stuff. This car always out shines (even newer Toyotas) other makes. I love that it can fold down to haul most small loads. I once drove 400 miles with a load of lumber flooring in the back. My only issue is that my son, who is 6'3" can't really sit comfortably. Otherwise, the longer I've owned it the better it runs--even seems a little more powerful. I am looking for something that can do more off-road travel, but I sure hate to give up this honey of a car,"

I love my Toyota Matrix!!!

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "easy, fun, practical, cost effective"

Cons: "Center console cup holders are to close together"

"This has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. The seats fold flat giving a huge amount of interior cargo space for hauling things, but it is also a great passenger car. comfortable. Easy to drive. Great gas mileage. Easy turn ratio and handling."

Reliable daily driver

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; low ownership cost; interior cargo rm"

Cons: "Mileage ~ 29; lots of plastic"

"Bought a 2008 new in 2007, and have put 120K miles on it so far. Zero repairs! Just normal maintenance (tires, brakes, hoses, etc); still running same battery after seven years. Amazing little car - has more room inside, with the seats folded, than just about any other car in its class. My (grown) children will tease about the "nerdiness" of the Matrix, but they all borrow it when they need to move, haul furniture (smaller pieces), or travel w/o worrying about reliability! Only complaint: 1) for a 1.8 4-cylinder, it should be getting better than 29 combined MPG. I've routinely averaged 29 combined, best hiway mileage ever was 32. 2) Materials are not highest quality - it looks fine, but it's all plastic. Best qualities: Maintenance free; rock solid reliability in all weather; interior space; easy to park anywhere. Buy it! It's a shame Toyota is abandoning the Matrix."

The third Matrix we've owned. Best car ever owned!

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Quick, agile, great handling, gas mileage."

Cons: "A bit noisy. No arm rests."

"If they still made them, I'd buy another! Best car I've ever owned. No maintenance issues at all. Fun to drive. Easy on gas (better than 30 mpg on highway and more than 25 around town. Solid car. Can also accommodate 4 people very comfortably and you can pack this car and still have lots of room for passengers."

I love this car!

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

"My Toyota Matrix is one of the most reliable, comfortable cars I have ever owned. It also gets great mileage."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "fun, gas mileage, lots of storage,holds its value"

Cons: "stock ride height, wheel gap"

summer mode

"My favorite vehicle that I have owned. Not a real fast car, but feels sporty, and handles well with a few minor mods. Extremely reliable with no problems up to this point at 78,000 miles. Very easy to do all of the maintenance yourself at home too. Car has never been in for repairs or maintenance. Highly recommend this car."

summer mode

Loved driving Matrixie for 10 years

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Good head room, sound system, hauling"

Cons: "No luxury, not a performance car"

"Although my 2003 Toyota Matrix is not the most luxurious car, it has been reliable, spacious for hauling people and stuff, fuel efficient, cool in summer and warm in winter. I recently drove my car over 4000 miles in a few months and had no complaints. I am worried I won't be able to find a car as good when it comes time (sniff) to trade her in. The only repairs I have had are a wheel bearing on the front passenger side and replacement of the driver's door control panel which I purchased used. I would definitely recommend this car."

great economy, road noisey, not great in snow

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

"other than two batteries and tune up no problems. noisy ride, lots of wind noise"