2003 Toyota Matrix

Based on 525 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

This is a quality car!

By on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Pros: "Great value, interior nice, handling, mileage"

Cons: "Too short for tall people, sound system."

"I love this car. I had a suspension issue the first year or two. A young man in a tire place fixed it using a little creativity. I haven't had a problems since. I've always gotten over 34 highway, and the handling has been as good as I've ever driven. I use rentals a lot in my work--even just off the lot stuff. This car always out shines (even newer Toyotas) other makes. I love that it can fold down to haul most small loads. I once drove 400 miles with a load of lumber flooring in the back. My only issue is that my son, who is 6'3" can't really sit comfortably. Otherwise, the longer I've owned it the better it runs--even seems a little more powerful. I am looking for something that can do more off-road travel, but I sure hate to give up this honey of a car,"

I love my Toyota Matrix!!!

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "easy, fun, practical, cost effective"

Cons: "Center console cup holders are to close together"

"This has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. The seats fold flat giving a huge amount of interior cargo space for hauling things, but it is also a great passenger car. comfortable. Easy to drive. Great gas mileage. Easy turn ratio and handling."

Reliable daily driver

By on Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; low ownership cost; interior cargo rm"

Cons: "Mileage ~ 29; lots of plastic"

"Bought a 2008 new in 2007, and have put 120K miles on it so far. Zero repairs! Just normal maintenance (tires, brakes, hoses, etc); still running same battery after seven years. Amazing little car - has more room inside, with the seats folded, than just about any other car in its class. My (grown) children will tease about the "nerdiness" of the Matrix, but they all borrow it when they need to move, haul furniture (smaller pieces), or travel w/o worrying about reliability! Only complaint: 1) for a 1.8 4-cylinder, it should be getting better than 29 combined MPG. I've routinely averaged 29 combined, best hiway mileage ever was 32. 2) Materials are not highest quality - it looks fine, but it's all plastic. Best qualities: Maintenance free; rock solid reliability in all weather; interior space; easy to park anywhere. Buy it! It's a shame Toyota is abandoning the Matrix."

The third Matrix we've owned. Best car ever owned!

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Quick, agile, great handling, gas mileage."

Cons: "A bit noisy. No arm rests."

"If they still made them, I'd buy another! Best car I've ever owned. No maintenance issues at all. Fun to drive. Easy on gas (better than 30 mpg on highway and more than 25 around town. Solid car. Can also accommodate 4 people very comfortably and you can pack this car and still have lots of room for passengers."

I love this car!

By on Sunday, May 25, 2014

"My Toyota Matrix is one of the most reliable, comfortable cars I have ever owned. It also gets great mileage."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "fun, gas mileage, lots of storage,holds its value"

Cons: "stock ride height, wheel gap"

summer mode

"My favorite vehicle that I have owned. Not a real fast car, but feels sporty, and handles well with a few minor mods. Extremely reliable with no problems up to this point at 78,000 miles. Very easy to do all of the maintenance yourself at home too. Car has never been in for repairs or maintenance. Highly recommend this car."

summer mode

Loved driving Matrixie for 10 years

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Good head room, sound system, hauling"

Cons: "No luxury, not a performance car"

"Although my 2003 Toyota Matrix is not the most luxurious car, it has been reliable, spacious for hauling people and stuff, fuel efficient, cool in summer and warm in winter. I recently drove my car over 4000 miles in a few months and had no complaints. I am worried I won't be able to find a car as good when it comes time (sniff) to trade her in. The only repairs I have had are a wheel bearing on the front passenger side and replacement of the driver's door control panel which I purchased used. I would definitely recommend this car."

great economy, road noisey, not great in snow

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

"other than two batteries and tune up no problems. noisy ride, lots of wind noise"

240k 11 years, going strong & still looks great!

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, versatile, dependable, easy on gas"

Cons: "Trash console won't stay closed, no rear air vents"

"I love love love my matrix. I bought it brand new in 2003. It's an XRS with a moonroof. It's such a versatile car. All the seats including the passenger seat, fold down. I once got a large futon, frame and all in it. Even at 240k i still get around 27 mpg. I drove 45k the first year. It has been 90% garage kept and well maintained. After I hit 100k I took it to be tuned up annually- mostly belts, spark plugs and such that cost around $300-400. The catalytic converter went out in 2008. The fan went out in 2012 and the compressor went out in 2013. I replaced both. Around 170k the engine started idling louder, especially at drive through windows. I usually kick it into neutral if it's going to be a while. Nothing wrong with it, it's just older. All the power windows still work. Around 200k miles the emission system parts started giving an unfindable vapor leak. I've had a part replaced the last 2 only to have the check engine light come on again. The plastic components are just getting brittle after this long. It doesn't affect the drive or dependability of the car at all, just the ease of inspection. I'm going to replace it this summer only because I want something bigger since I have 2 kiddos now. The only complaints I have at all, are even brand new the 'garbage' console wouldn't stay closed and I hate how hot the grey car gets in the Texas heat. My next automobile will be white. It's been a fantastic car!!!!"

Beware and do your research

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

"Had to replace the clutch on this 2006 model in 2011, at about 50-60,000 miles. Cost $1,000. Three years later (when the odometer has just crossed the 100K mark), the clutch is slipping again. There are a lot of similar cases written about in online forums; just a quick search will show that this is a common problem with this vehicle. Such a serious and expensive design flaw from a maker with a reputation for quality and reliability. Not. Aside from the clutch, it has been a pretty good vehicle, with a lot of space for hauling doggies or other stuff. Brakes were replaced for the first time two months ago ($700); tires were replaced early on. I believe Toyota has a reputation for shabby tires. The heat shield came loose several months ago and a 'temporary' repair is holding. Without the clutch issue, I'd have a very positive report on this car...but the clutch is a deal-breaker, cost, safety and reliability-wise."