2002 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.6

Based on 187 Ratings for the 1998 - 2007 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.7/10

Multi-Terrain

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pros: "Powerful Engine. Excellent AC (specially for Hot weathers). Comfortable, roomy"

"This is one awsome truck. with close to 14000 miles on it, the darn thing keeps running. All I've done is regular maintenance: brakes, tires, batter, and regular oil change. After almost 10 years the engine is still powerful and runs smoothly. From the sand dunes of the Emirates to the flood striken waters of hurricane IKE this car has performed marvelously. Imagine this: terrantual rain pouring, 8 people in my cruiser... flooding every where... other cars floating... but the Cruiser kept to it's pedigree and smoothly traversed the choppy waters to safely get my family home. Highly recommend!!!"

Like a Tank

By on Friday, May 02, 2008

"This is my second cruiser. 2003 model. First was a 1989. Currently at 63,000 miles on the '03. Like a fool, bought the platinum extended warranty. To date, absolutely no problems at all. None. Never used the extended warranty. This is without a doubt one of the best vehicles made in the world. The quality is outstanding. You pay for it of course but the vehicle lasts. The best thing to do is find one used that has been well maintained. The price is still high but not as high as a brand new one. And resale is very strong. A few tricks to get better mileage - remove the 3rd row seats until needed. They weigh about 150 pounds. Always use synthetic oil. And lastly, slow down on the freeway. It's hard to drive 60 m.p.h. but the reduced speed dramatically increases mileage. I'm currently getting 18 mpg average. No kidding. 70% freeway and 30% around town."

TOUGH AND DEPENDABLE

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, great off road, dependable, tough!"

Cons: "Nothing will stop it except a gas station."

"I was on a highway doing about 65 mph. A truck in front of me had an engine block fall out of it and I had nowhere to go except right over top of it. It shot my cruiser over 1 foot into the air and all that it did is put a small hole in my oil pan. Alignment was still perfect. If I would have been in almost any other vehicle, It would be totaled. I love my cruiser!"

The worlds greatest driving machine

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Rugged, elegant, reliable, quiet"

Cons: "Fuel economy"

"I owned a 2001 Lexus LX470 (Based on the Land Cruiser) for 6 years. My kids really beat the car, it spent several years parked outside, yet it just held tough and never complained. I regretted not taking better care of that car. Then a tree fell on it, and with a nice insurance check, we had to go car shopping. We started looking at mini-vans, and it was just depressing how they simply did not have the quality workmanship of the Lexus. We then started to look at mid-sized SUV's from Acura, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, and Lexus. My whole family couldn't help but feel cramped in these cars. We kept missing our Lexus. THEN we drove a Land Cruiser, and that was it. I actually liked it BETTER than the Lexus. The Lexus has an air suspension that you can raise or lower, and while that is a nice feature, I air shocks still do not give the comfort and manners of traditional shocks. Also, the 2003 version upgraded the 4-speed transmission with a 5-speed. The high-rpm of the 2001 Lexus on the highway was now replaced with a nice purr. We also got 17.6 mpg on the highway, which is not bad for a car that weighs almost 3 tons. Bottom line: The Land Cruiser is assembled in Japan and is Toyota's almost unlimited budget to create an ultimate SUV without compromise. Every since part of this car oozes quality and reliability. It is supremely engineered and is designed to take serious punishment. If you take good care of it, and don't beat on it, it will last almost forever. Just keep it clean, especially if you drive it on salted roads (use the under-body wash). Change the oil, do the service it needs. Garage it. It's quiet, and a great family car. You can talk at normal levels to people in the 3rd row. Go Toyota, and thank you for the world's greatest driving machine."

Best car I have ever had...

By on Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Owned Porsches, Audis, Lexus, a Mazda, and American cars and liked this car so much our second car is now a FJ Cruiser. There is no better SUV or maybe even any kind of vehicle than the Land Cruiser. 130k miles and spent maybe $1500 on it outside of warranty and standard maintenance. Taken it off road over wide creeks, bad dirt roads, up mountains, into snowstorms, and backwoods campiing only to bring it home, wash it, and drive it to a nice restaruant valet parking. Absolutely the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned. And rides smooth as butter on or off the road. Full time 4 WD always gives you confidence and worth the below avergage gas mileage. No wonder the US car makers cannot compete!"