2001 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.6

Based on 187 Ratings for the 1998 - 2007 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.7/10

Best LC value

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "Durablle, reliable, powerful, quiet, smooth, safe."

Cons: "Low gas mileage"

"Just had a compression check of the V8. With 230K mi's it is as-new condition. yep, mileage ain't great, but we bought this beast to last, and to ensure passage in the high country, in the winter, in the snow. We have towed a 23' Sea Ray (heavy boat) all over the state, we have pulled a 4-wh dr pickup when it got stuck going up a steep, icy road while itself towing a flat bed loaded with 3 snow mobiles - you should have seen the pick-up dudes face when we did that! We did a 180 on black ice, plowed into a snow bank, and drove out of the ditch, unscathed. While stopped at a red-light, we had a teenager going about 25 mph hit us from behin in his Dad's new Taurus. It totaled the Taurus, only put one (1) dent in the stock LC rear bumper. The ride is still real quiet, and has less engine noise than our 07 Audi A6. Almost no non-routine maintenance in the 11 years we've owned it. Original Paint in excellent condition. All internals (radio, AC, etc) in perfect cond'n. The guy at the Toyota shp said it should be good to go for at leas another 100k mi......and that was 100k mi ago! After lots of time in rough country oversea, I can tell you most contractors will ONLY buy this vehicle. ......What a beast..."

super and capable

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pros: "superv capable SUV"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"we have own three of these in the past 3 years, nothing wrong with the other two that we got rid off. only complaint is low gas mileage. I would say maybe 14 city- 16 hwy? is a very capable SUV and nothing will stand on it's way, no snow,rain,sand nor mud, would stop this baby. it also has a lockable rear and or front differentials. is very comfortable and nimble. not a sports car, but very capable and comfortable for long rides,you can't hardly feel the road, it's very comfortable. The wind noise is reasonable, it can accomodate up to eight passengers and very little area for luggage with 8 passengers. that is why it has a roof rack though and or you can use your tow package to put a rack and you will not see the difference. I believe if it would have a little bit bigger motor mileage would be better because the passing gear would not engage as often on hilly roads. no problems at all mechanically speaking, only oil changes, tire rotations and timing belt when required. other than that superb vehicle. we love it, want to trade it for the lexus cousin more bells and whistles."

Best reliable SUV for the value

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "everything....many would not know it is 14 yrs old"

Cons: "gas mileage but I bought it on that knowledge"

"I bought this 1999 Landcruiser new and now have 315,000 miles. Despite the brake rotors were not designed to handle the weight, I have really appreciated the quality of this machine. 1. original battery lasted 7 years 2. Mitchelon tires last 70-80k 3. still has original transmission, shocks, muffler 4. all instrumentation ( radio )and power windows continues to work 5. gas mileage continues and consistently at 16-17 highway and 14-15 local which is what it was advertised"

Multi-Terrain

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pros: "Powerful Engine. Excellent AC (specially for Hot weathers). Comfortable, roomy"

"This is one awsome truck. with close to 14000 miles on it, the darn thing keeps running. All I've done is regular maintenance: brakes, tires, batter, and regular oil change. After almost 10 years the engine is still powerful and runs smoothly. From the sand dunes of the Emirates to the flood striken waters of hurricane IKE this car has performed marvelously. Imagine this: terrantual rain pouring, 8 people in my cruiser... flooding every where... other cars floating... but the Cruiser kept to it's pedigree and smoothly traversed the choppy waters to safely get my family home. Highly recommend!!!"

TOUGH AND DEPENDABLE

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, great off road, dependable, tough!"

Cons: "Nothing will stop it except a gas station."

"I was on a highway doing about 65 mph. A truck in front of me had an engine block fall out of it and I had nowhere to go except right over top of it. It shot my cruiser over 1 foot into the air and all that it did is put a small hole in my oil pan. Alignment was still perfect. If I would have been in almost any other vehicle, It would be totaled. I love my cruiser!"

The worlds greatest driving machine

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Rugged, elegant, reliable, quiet"

Cons: "Fuel economy"

"I owned a 2001 Lexus LX470 (Based on the Land Cruiser) for 6 years. My kids really beat the car, it spent several years parked outside, yet it just held tough and never complained. I regretted not taking better care of that car. Then a tree fell on it, and with a nice insurance check, we had to go car shopping. We started looking at mini-vans, and it was just depressing how they simply did not have the quality workmanship of the Lexus. We then started to look at mid-sized SUV's from Acura, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, and Lexus. My whole family couldn't help but feel cramped in these cars. We kept missing our Lexus. THEN we drove a Land Cruiser, and that was it. I actually liked it BETTER than the Lexus. The Lexus has an air suspension that you can raise or lower, and while that is a nice feature, I air shocks still do not give the comfort and manners of traditional shocks. Also, the 2003 version upgraded the 4-speed transmission with a 5-speed. The high-rpm of the 2001 Lexus on the highway was now replaced with a nice purr. We also got 17.6 mpg on the highway, which is not bad for a car that weighs almost 3 tons. Bottom line: The Land Cruiser is assembled in Japan and is Toyota's almost unlimited budget to create an ultimate SUV without compromise. Every since part of this car oozes quality and reliability. It is supremely engineered and is designed to take serious punishment. If you take good care of it, and don't beat on it, it will last almost forever. Just keep it clean, especially if you drive it on salted roads (use the under-body wash). Change the oil, do the service it needs. Garage it. It's quiet, and a great family car. You can talk at normal levels to people in the 3rd row. Go Toyota, and thank you for the world's greatest driving machine."

Best car I have ever had...

By on Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Owned Porsches, Audis, Lexus, a Mazda, and American cars and liked this car so much our second car is now a FJ Cruiser. There is no better SUV or maybe even any kind of vehicle than the Land Cruiser. 130k miles and spent maybe $1500 on it outside of warranty and standard maintenance. Taken it off road over wide creeks, bad dirt roads, up mountains, into snowstorms, and backwoods campiing only to bring it home, wash it, and drive it to a nice restaruant valet parking. Absolutely the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned. And rides smooth as butter on or off the road. Full time 4 WD always gives you confidence and worth the below avergage gas mileage. No wonder the US car makers cannot compete!"

LifeSaver

By on Monday, June 09, 2008

"I'm on my second LC. My 2002 was totaled in huge 21 car pileup and was hit by 2 different 18 wheelers in a bad sandstorm. I had only bruises and the heck scared out of me. The car saved my life. I bought a new 2004 and it has performed very well. I have 40,000 miles now and no trouble. Gas is the only issue but if I had been in lots of other cars I might not be here writing this."

I'll always be in a LC

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"I own two 2000 LCs and one 1991 LC. 63k, 144k and 240k. Worst repair so far on all three was a new power steering box on the 91. The best vehicles I've ever owned!"

I LOVE THIS VEHICLE!!!

By on Friday, May 03, 2013

Pros: "BUILD QUALITY, ERGONOMICS, ON AND OFF ROAD MANNERS"

Cons: "NONE"

"I HAVE OWNED 3 JEEP RUBICONS FROM DIFFERENT YEARS 08-11 AND 2 TOYOTA FJ'S 10-11 FOR THE OFFROAD MANNERS AND UTILITARIAN ASPECT OF HAULING MY LITTLE ONE AROUND AND HIS GEAR. I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE A PRISTINE 2006 LANDCRUISER FROM A FRIEND THAT HAD BEEN PAMPERED AND SERVICED. THIS LANDCRUISER IS ONE OF THOSE THAT HAS ME ASKING MYSELF WHY DIDNT I BUY ONE OF THESE YEARS AGO? THE ON ROAD MANNERS ARE SPECTACULAR AND OFFROAD IS VERY CAPABLE AS I TOOK IT TO HOLLISTER HILLS IN CA. LAST WEEK NEAR MY HOME JUST TO CHECK OUT THE DIFF LOCK AND ARTICULATION OF THE AHC SUSPENSION. THIS HAS EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS AND CAN NOW UNDERSTAND THE $70K NEW PRICEPOINT WHEN LOADED UP. IF YOU CAN FIND A WELL TAKEN CARE OF ONE, BUY IT! MINE HAD 117,000 MILES ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT LAST MONTH AND THE MILES DIDNT SCARE ME THE SLIGHTEST ON THIS RIG."

a really good premium priced car

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "expensive"

"I have owned this car since early 2003 . I have had no problems. It is even with 12500 mile s very reliable car. If I could afford it I would without hesitation buy a new one."

If safety is a must

By on Monday, October 05, 2009

"I own two of them. My wife was hit in a serious accident, that sent the other drivers to the hospital. My wife walked away with no injuries, and the vehicle survived, but was damaged. If your safety is #1 I would have to say this is the vehicle to own - what;s your life worth? I will always own a Toyota and hopefully a Landcruiser."

Simply the best

By on Friday, October 24, 2008

"Without a doubt, this car saved my son's life and his 3 passengers yesterday. It performed perfectly for the 8 years we had it and literally gave its life to protect his (we called the LC "Steve") passengers in a high speed highway crash. No mechanical problems ever, by far the most impressive vehicle we have ever owned in every regard. Gas prices aside, you can not go wrong with a Toyota LC."

Toughest and most reliable vehicle on the road.

By on Saturday, March 21, 2015

Pros: "Ultra reliable. Rock solid. Great residual value"

Cons: "Gas mileage, acceleration, handling"

"Bought this Land Cruiser new. It was my second one. 15 years and 130000 miles later, it still drives like new. I have had to spend less than $1000 in unscheduled repairs in 15 years. It is bog slow and gets terrible gas mileage, but is virtually bullet-proof, and goes anywhere I need to go in any weather."

I love this car

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "reliable, safe, comfortable, goes anywhere"

Cons: "gas guzzler, expensive"

"over 200,000 miles and I will probably get another 200,000 miles. Reliable, safe, comfortable, goes anywhere."

Best Vehicle

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Great Price, Great Ride, Smooth"

Cons: "Nothing, This car is remarkable"

"This is the most remarkable vehicle that anyone has ever made. I inherited this car from my mom, who bought it with in 1999 with 42 miles on it, and she put 103,000 miles and I have put the remaining 123,500 miles and it has never let me down. Other than oil changes, nails in the tires and one starter at 100,000 miles, I have never been stranded, never had anything go wrong with this car and have never felt uunsafe in this Land Cruiser. I would let my children or grandmother drive this car. The leather has held up remarkably and has little wear and tear on it. The Woodgrain has been replaced one time."

Best purchase made

By on Friday, June 13, 2008

"Have 2000 LC we bought after being stuck in Toyota Sienna (no AWD) on a hill in Vermont on a ski trip. Had 11K on it - not even broken in yet. Now at 63K and it's still not broken in yet! Yes it hurts to pay $90 to fill it but the safety, reliability and comfort still make it worth every penny. Looking forward to 200K miles on it someday!"

The Planet's best vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

"I just bought my 5th Land Cruiser. I have had a '92 with 350k miles, a '95 with 182k miles, still have a '96 with 221k miles, still have a '00 with 134k miles (wife's) and just bought an '01 with 58k miles. Without any questions whatsoever the Land Cruiser/LX470 is the best vehicle on the planet. I am in the woods with my job everyday in my LC. Indestructable. They will hold my family of 6 and get us anywhere we want to go comfortably, safely and securely. By buying used ones I am money well ahead at the deals I have gotten on LC's. There simply isn't a vehicle made with the detail of workmanship, from the extra welds made on the frame (that you never see) to the paint job. It is made just like I like it, bullet-proof, every single one of'em."

Sweet rig

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "all"

"180,000 one starter, 2 o2 sensors, inner tie rods, and brakes pads. used off road, towing, and as a camper GREAT vehicle. K&N Cone and 40 series Flowmaster."

Simply said this vehicle is still relevant today

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Quality that lasts and styling still relevant"

Cons: "It is a large vehicle that consumes gas"

"I am the original owner of the 2001 LC and was so impressed with its quality when first introduced that I paid cash for it which I have never done with new vehicles. But here I am in 2013 talking to this community about it. There is no substitute for a complete style and engineering design. The vehicle looks still contemporary today, the more weight you ask it to carry actually improves handling, and my wife has refused offers of new car replacements as she is the principal driver. Reliability is exceptional based on running synthetic Mobile oil, hi test gas, and keeping the air cleaner in good condition. Basically it has had no other issues of maintenance....ever. If I had to by my car today even with $168K miles on it is a good value."

255000

By on Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Yes my 1998 LC has 255000 miles on it I have raised my 4 children in this vehicle she is part of our family. I have maintained her and she has never let me down. She is still solid,tight and smooth. The LC can take to valet at a 5 star hotel, or any back road. After 12 years she is my baby I Love her!"

Outstanding Product

By on Thursday, August 06, 2009

"The Landcruiser is in a class by itself. Expensive initially, but it will last years and years. The quality, reliability, and comfort is unmatched. I have 84,000 on my 2000 model and it still drives and performs like new. Have only performed routine maintenance, replaced one brake caliper, and a rear A/C line."

One Hecka of an Automobile!

By on Monday, July 13, 2009

"You just can't beat the ride and dependability. Outstanding for road trips when comfort is a must. If you drive the car resonably you can get decent mileage. I average around 18mpg. Want to feel safe? step into a Land Cruiser."

LandCruiser

By on Monday, May 04, 2009

"I have nothing but good to say about this vehicle. The value holds well over time, the components are all quality. With preventive maintenance I feel this vehicle will last another 7-10 years and it's already 9 years old. I have kept all of the interior clean and treated (leather), it's close to new! Got it smogged the other day they were blown away by the age of the vehicle. If it is within your budget, it is money well spent."

grrrreat

By on Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"super reliability. goes anywhere, indestructible. Better milage than my SR5, could use a better stoage strap for the 3d row seats as they tend to come loose letting the seats flop."