2001 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.6

Based on 186 Ratings for the 1998 - 2007 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10
    9.7/10

Best LC value

By on Friday, December 07, 2012

Pros: "Durablle, reliable, powerful, quiet, smooth, safe."

Cons: "Low gas mileage"

"Just had a compression check of the V8. With 230K mi's it is as-new condition. yep, mileage ain't great, but we bought this beast to last, and to ensure passage in the high country, in the winter, in the snow. We have towed a 23' Sea Ray (heavy boat) all over the state, we have pulled a 4-wh dr pickup when it got stuck going up a steep, icy road while itself towing a flat bed loaded with 3 snow mobiles - you should have seen the pick-up dudes face when we did that! We did a 180 on black ice, plowed into a snow bank, and drove out of the ditch, unscathed. While stopped at a red-light, we had a teenager going about 25 mph hit us from behin in his Dad's new Taurus. It totaled the Taurus, only put one (1) dent in the stock LC rear bumper. The ride is still real quiet, and has less engine noise than our 07 Audi A6. Almost no non-routine maintenance in the 11 years we've owned it. Original Paint in excellent condition. All internals (radio, AC, etc) in perfect cond'n. The guy at the Toyota shp said it should be good to go for at leas another 100k mi......and that was 100k mi ago! After lots of time in rough country oversea, I can tell you most contractors will ONLY buy this vehicle. ......What a beast..."

super and capable

By on Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pros: "superv capable SUV"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"we have own three of these in the past 3 years, nothing wrong with the other two that we got rid off. only complaint is low gas mileage. I would say maybe 14 city- 16 hwy? is a very capable SUV and nothing will stand on it's way, no snow,rain,sand nor mud, would stop this baby. it also has a lockable rear and or front differentials. is very comfortable and nimble. not a sports car, but very capable and comfortable for long rides,you can't hardly feel the road, it's very comfortable. The wind noise is reasonable, it can accomodate up to eight passengers and very little area for luggage with 8 passengers. that is why it has a roof rack though and or you can use your tow package to put a rack and you will not see the difference. I believe if it would have a little bit bigger motor mileage would be better because the passing gear would not engage as often on hilly roads. no problems at all mechanically speaking, only oil changes, tire rotations and timing belt when required. other than that superb vehicle. we love it, want to trade it for the lexus cousin more bells and whistles."

Incredible Vehicle

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Anything that you could think of."

"People buy cars like Range Rovers, Land Rovers, BMW X5s, etc for the image but this car will drive better, last longer, and be much more reliable than any of those models."

Awesome. Comfortable, capable

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Space, rugged and luxurious at the same time."

Cons: "13 city and 16 highway mileage at best"

"This is my 4th Land Cruiser and they keep getting better. I learned early on that it's not necessary to but a late model low mileage one to get a good one. They last and last and last. Toyota has done a great job building a high quality SUV that can tackle off road terrain as easily as a trip to the mall. Mine is 13 years old and still runs like the day I got it."

Best reliable SUV for the value

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "everything....many would not know it is 14 yrs old"

Cons: "gas mileage but I bought it on that knowledge"

"I bought this 1999 Landcruiser new and now have 315,000 miles. Despite the brake rotors were not designed to handle the weight, I have really appreciated the quality of this machine. 1. original battery lasted 7 years 2. Mitchelon tires last 70-80k 3. still has original transmission, shocks, muffler 4. all instrumentation ( radio )and power windows continues to work 5. gas mileage continues and consistently at 16-17 highway and 14-15 local which is what it was advertised"

Multi-Terrain

By on Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pros: "Powerful Engine. Excellent AC (specially for Hot weathers). Comfortable, roomy"

"This is one awsome truck. with close to 14000 miles on it, the darn thing keeps running. All I've done is regular maintenance: brakes, tires, batter, and regular oil change. After almost 10 years the engine is still powerful and runs smoothly. From the sand dunes of the Emirates to the flood striken waters of hurricane IKE this car has performed marvelously. Imagine this: terrantual rain pouring, 8 people in my cruiser... flooding every where... other cars floating... but the Cruiser kept to it's pedigree and smoothly traversed the choppy waters to safely get my family home. Highly recommend!!!"

Like a Tank

By on Friday, May 02, 2008

"This is my second cruiser. 2003 model. First was a 1989. Currently at 63,000 miles on the '03. Like a fool, bought the platinum extended warranty. To date, absolutely no problems at all. None. Never used the extended warranty. This is without a doubt one of the best vehicles made in the world. The quality is outstanding. You pay for it of course but the vehicle lasts. The best thing to do is find one used that has been well maintained. The price is still high but not as high as a brand new one. And resale is very strong. A few tricks to get better mileage - remove the 3rd row seats until needed. They weigh about 150 pounds. Always use synthetic oil. And lastly, slow down on the freeway. It's hard to drive 60 m.p.h. but the reduced speed dramatically increases mileage. I'm currently getting 18 mpg average. No kidding. 70% freeway and 30% around town."

TOUGH AND DEPENDABLE

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, great off road, dependable, tough!"

Cons: "Nothing will stop it except a gas station."

"I was on a highway doing about 65 mph. A truck in front of me had an engine block fall out of it and I had nowhere to go except right over top of it. It shot my cruiser over 1 foot into the air and all that it did is put a small hole in my oil pan. Alignment was still perfect. If I would have been in almost any other vehicle, It would be totaled. I love my cruiser!"

The worlds greatest driving machine

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

Pros: "Rugged, elegant, reliable, quiet"

Cons: "Fuel economy"

"I owned a 2001 Lexus LX470 (Based on the Land Cruiser) for 6 years. My kids really beat the car, it spent several years parked outside, yet it just held tough and never complained. I regretted not taking better care of that car. Then a tree fell on it, and with a nice insurance check, we had to go car shopping. We started looking at mini-vans, and it was just depressing how they simply did not have the quality workmanship of the Lexus. We then started to look at mid-sized SUV's from Acura, Volvo, Toyota, Honda, and Lexus. My whole family couldn't help but feel cramped in these cars. We kept missing our Lexus. THEN we drove a Land Cruiser, and that was it. I actually liked it BETTER than the Lexus. The Lexus has an air suspension that you can raise or lower, and while that is a nice feature, I air shocks still do not give the comfort and manners of traditional shocks. Also, the 2003 version upgraded the 4-speed transmission with a 5-speed. The high-rpm of the 2001 Lexus on the highway was now replaced with a nice purr. We also got 17.6 mpg on the highway, which is not bad for a car that weighs almost 3 tons. Bottom line: The Land Cruiser is assembled in Japan and is Toyota's almost unlimited budget to create an ultimate SUV without compromise. Every since part of this car oozes quality and reliability. It is supremely engineered and is designed to take serious punishment. If you take good care of it, and don't beat on it, it will last almost forever. Just keep it clean, especially if you drive it on salted roads (use the under-body wash). Change the oil, do the service it needs. Garage it. It's quiet, and a great family car. You can talk at normal levels to people in the 3rd row. Go Toyota, and thank you for the world's greatest driving machine."

Best car I have ever had...

By on Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Owned Porsches, Audis, Lexus, a Mazda, and American cars and liked this car so much our second car is now a FJ Cruiser. There is no better SUV or maybe even any kind of vehicle than the Land Cruiser. 130k miles and spent maybe $1500 on it outside of warranty and standard maintenance. Taken it off road over wide creeks, bad dirt roads, up mountains, into snowstorms, and backwoods campiing only to bring it home, wash it, and drive it to a nice restaruant valet parking. Absolutely the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned. And rides smooth as butter on or off the road. Full time 4 WD always gives you confidence and worth the below avergage gas mileage. No wonder the US car makers cannot compete!"