1997 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.4

Based on 121 Ratings for the 1991 - 1997 models.

Why doesn't anyone make them like this?

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliability even at 270,000 miles"

Cons: "MPG 11/15 with today's prices can dent the budget."

"Excellent excellent excellent. Other than gas mileage I don't have a single complaint. I bought it used with 60,000 miles (a new one would have been cost prohibitive for me) and have only had to replace the typical wear-out items, tires, shocks, windshield due to rock chips, a couple of hoses...and a radiator and bumper because my teenager rear-ended another car. No timing chain or belt to worry about - they are gears. No CV Boots to tear, they don't have them. I drive 65% hwy/35% city and get a consistent 15mpg, nothing to brag about but did I mention I have 270,000 miles and still going strong with no rattles from anywhere - not even the interior. My vehicle is completely stock with all options, anti-lock breaks, locking differentials, moon-roof, rack, leather interior. I have never been stuck in my landcruiser, whether it be snow, sand, mud, it always pulls me through. I will never get rid of it because I haven't seen another vehicle as reliable or versatile on the road, although i do wish it got better mpg. Toyota has demonstrated to the rest of the car world how they all should be built. If you know of one that can compare, let me know! I haven't seen one yet."

BEST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE, WELL WORTH THE MONEY, AWESOME!"

Cons: "no cup hldrs in rear, poor gas Milage,"

"I bought my LC 40th Anniversary Edition use with 50K in 2000. This is the best vehicle for several reasons. Reliable, Quality Built, and Comfortable. I did not buy this vehicle for gas milage, but safety. This LC has NEVER let me down. I have traveled across the US several times coast to coast and it have NEVER failed me. It is AWD and excellent in the snow. I have not spent any money on repairs only routine maintenance. Drive like it did when I bought it. Only complaint is my husband is too tall for his 6'4 frame. Fine by me, I am the one driving...."

The best 4X4 I've ever owned!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Tough, reliable, good looking, fun"

Cons: "gas mileage in the 11-14 mpg range"

"We'd looked and looked for a good Land Cruiser for some time, but the dealer mark-up and private party sales prices in our area (Southern California) for good Land Cruisers were ridiculously high. We found this truck at a parking lot company that was selling it after it was abandoned five years prior, and they needed to clear it out. We looked at it and knew that was the one for us. It hadn't been started for 5 years, it had a dry radiator, a dead battery, and it wouldn't run, but a few minutes work and a trip to an auto parts store later, it fired right up and we were on the freeway headed home (running on the 5 year old gas in the tank). It has been absolutely reliable both on the road and off; we don't baby the truck off road - it will go anywhere, any time. It easily out performs all the other 4X4's we've owned, especially off road, and is a far better all around value and much tougher as well. I highly recommend an FZJ80 Land Cruiser to any one in the market for a fantastic, reliable, and tough (real)4X4 SUV, and one that you can feel absolutely safe putting your family aboard. Need a zombie apocalypse vehicle? The get yourself a Land Cruiser!"

97 LandCruiser Lasts Long - Great value

By on Thursday, July 09, 2009

"I bought this fully-loaded 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser in 2003 - fully loaded - it's the same as the Lexus SUV of that year. It had 65K on the odometer, all carfax, etc., and I have babied it and put only 30K more miles on it. Routine maintenance is all that it's needed, i.e., rotate tires, new brake pads, change fluids (oil at every 5K mi). Although I've averaged 13 mpg over the six years I've had it now, the value of this value-packed brute (able to drive on beaches, pull boats, do long-distance highway speeds comfortably for hours getting 17 mpg on 87 octane) I intend on keeping it for my remaining lifetime."

The BEST SUV ever!

By on Friday, April 18, 2008

"This is by far the BEST SUV I have come across. It's a real truck not a wannabee in a car chassis. This is meant to traverse through any terrain on this planet. Perfect handling, perfect ride and its so beautiful to look at. Even after all these years an LC is still a beauty! You will never go wrong with this LC especially if it has a 3FE motor in it. Go anywhere, any time even through 5 feet of water or up a volcano at 16 grade. This truck is unbeatable. Find one that is well maintained and keep it for the rest of you life - they are actually an investment!"

Solid, reliable, safe, a tank with nice seats

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Engine, gearing (crawl ratio 50's), tank-like"

Cons: "None."

"I've owned two FJ40's and thoroughly enjoyed them off road. They weren't the best riding on the roads in traffic though. I got a 1995 Landcruiser with 120K in 2007. Got it for my son who just started driving. Reason was that it is a very safe vehicle, a tank with wheels instead of tracks. I finally got it back in 2012 due to numerous maintenance issues, which are normal for the Landcruisers, especially at 175,000. Exchanged it for a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 40 mph highway, perfect for him. Hog heaven for me, I got my Landcruiser back. This vehicle is the most solid, off the showroom vehicle made. Without modifications, it can off road with the best and still deliver you to a high-class restaurant in a tux without missing a step. The 1996 landcruiser had basically no changes because the 1995 version got everything right. The motor and drivetrain will be considered legendary in time if not already considered one of the best. It is rated up there with the Landrover and Mercedes SUV, quite excellent company."

My LC

By on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"I bought this 1992 Land Cruiser over a year ago with 185,000 miles on it. It now has 208,000 miles on it and it still runs great. It goes anywhere and doesnt care what the terrain is like or if there is snow on the ground. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on performance only because it it pretty gutless and gets bad gas mileage, which I was aware of before I bought it. I sold my 4-runner and bought this for the third row seating which comes in handy. All of my power options work great and there is nothing that does not function on the vehicle except the parking lights (no biggie). It has over 200k miles but for an inline 6 that is not a lot of miles. The LC is my daily driver and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. I run 31" good year MT's on it and they have 22k miles on them and have used less than half the tread. I would strongly reccommend these tires to anyone with a LC... they hold up very well on the highway and off road. They are only 6 ply but have held up great for me. When this one eventually dies I fully intend on buying another LC probably a mid-late '90s if I can find one."

Simply Timeless Quality

By on Monday, July 06, 2009

"I can't say enough about this vehicle. Its like James Bond's tuxedo regardless of the task at hand, it just works. The A/C will freeze you and the heat (with rear heater) will scald you. Well engineered, well put together (thats why the UN uses these and a lot of Australians in the outback too. If the apocalypse is coming...This is what I want to be driving!!"

Best Toyota ever!

By on Friday, February 06, 2009

"I bought the first Land Cruiser and my wife liked it so much, that I had to buy another one for myself!! We now own two 40th Ed 1997. Same Sage color. The 3 differential locks are great for off-roading. We have BF Goodrich and no problems in the snow. We feel very safe in this vehicle, no matter the snow storm we are in. I tow my 26 ft sail boat with ease. Pulling it out of the water is easy due to the 4wd. We highly recommend this vehicle to anyone contemplating one. It may not be good on gas, but overall it is very economical to operate as it does NOT break down. The first one took me 6 months to find. The second one almost 1.5 years. I was looking for a 1997 with the 3 differential locks in good shape with low miles. I have seen one that had 750,000 miles on it!!! Original engine!!!"

Ultimate SUV

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Purchased my 1995 Land Cruiser with over 200,000 miles on it. Still runs and handles beautifully. Very comfortable ride and has power you can hear and feel. Once you buy one, you'll never go back to anything else. Only drawback is the gas mileage, but considering everything you get with this SUV, it's an even trade!"

Unbelivable off road vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"This vehicle is an unreal off road machine. Even stock can whip any lifted jeep. But even better because of toyota's unmatched quality and dependability. Mine has 209000 and still runs strong."

Best vehicle ever!

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"I'm the original owner of my 1992 Land Cruiser and we even bought a second one...which we have now handed down to my newly married daughter and son in law. It's safe, reliable, and a workhorse. Still runs as good as it did the day we bought it. The key is scheduled maintenence & good tires. Not cheap, but pays for itself in the long run. Stick with Toyota parts for the important stuff. Mileage could be better (we get 15/16 mpg Hwy) but that inline 6-banger is unstoppable no matter what you go through."

Awesome vehicle

By on Sunday, July 29, 2007

"I've owned my '94 LandCruiser for 3 years and I absolutely LOVE it. It's a second vehicle, but by far my favorite to drive. It has been incredibly reliable even after 145K miles! It has many comfort features & considerate details (ex.power windows work for a few minutes after ignition turned off). It sits high and the visibility all around is amazing, and ride is smooth. It's only drawback is the 12/15mpg because it is a 4x4 and quite heavy, and gas prices are high. Otherwise, I would drive it everyday!! The sunroof and leather seats are perfect for driving my dog around to the park!"

The best SUV ever made in my opinion.

By on Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"Purchased my original LC in 1993 (New). Have been driving this car for going on 22 years now... she has never let me down. In fact, I purchased another 1996 model as a mate and keep both side by side in a vacation home in Colorado. IMO... the best all round SUV one could own. My wife has been talking upgrade to newer vehicles... I am at a loss as to how we could improve."

Love this SUV!!

By on Friday, January 21, 2011

"Only looking to sell because health problems are making it difficult for me to get in and out of the vehicle. I know I will cry when it goes, though. So cool to say," I have a Land Cruiser". It will take you to the ends of the Earth. Amazing SUV!"

Bullitproof

By on Sunday, December 14, 2008

"I bought my 96 Lancrusier new for $48,000.00. The vehicle now has 270,000 miles on it and is going strong. This 4-wheel drive is safe and the inline 6 cylinder engine and transmission has never given me any trouble. This truck's engine and transmission have outlasted the paint!!!"

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"I bought my 1995 Landcruiser about three years ago. I've owned about four Toyotas and I think this is definitely the best one. I had a 1994 4-Runner before this and it was unstoppable too, but the LC has alot more power and towing capacity. It is very rough on gas though, but I plan on keeping it for pulling boats and other recreational activities. It just turned 194,000 miles and the inline six is still quiet and has no leaks of any kind. Keep the oil changed and regular maintenance and this is one dependable SUV!!!"

Land Cruiser Sets the Standard

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2008

"I might be biased...But, my 95' is the best. I have owned it since new...it just turned 160,000 miles and the inline 6 still runs like new. Tires and brakes are the only thing I have needed to replace. Each set of tires has gone 50k miles amazing. Keeping up with the maintanence is key. The four wheeling feature is unbelievable. The optional locking differentials still work even though I switch them on only once every few years. Gas milleage is the only issue but I still use supreme and the pleasure of this vehicle out ways the milleage. I have added a Pioneer Navsystem and flip down vidoe screens above the second row seats for my kids. a new fun dynamic. The kids love the 3rd seats and nice to have them not right behind mom and dad. Dought I will ever sell this vehicle and keep as a collector one day. Hope you find one."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"I bought my 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser in 2002 and it has run, and run, and run without a single problem! I put new tires on the car, new brake pads, and I service the car every 4-5000 miles. As a female, I need a car that starts up and runs consistently because I have no mechanical skills. The only stumbling block I've had was when one of my radio speakers blew out and I had to find a replacement. It was nearly impossible to find speakers that fit the doors of this car. My Land Cruiser has never let me down, I love it and I would recommed this vehicle to anyone!"

I love this vehicle

By on Saturday, December 01, 2007

"I've only owned my 95' Land Cruiser for about 6 months but it has never disappointed me. I bought it with 144k miles and have so far driven it to 151k and it is still running great. I have plenty of room for my self and all my passengers. The removable third row comes in very hand for when I need to either drive many passengers or carry lots of equipment when I go on camping trips. The offroad abilities are great, I have never gotten stuck anywhere. There are few problems with my Land Cruiser. I broke a coolant hose one time which was a very cheap fix (around 100 dollars). I also have a few oil leaks which is easily remedied by keeping an eye on my oil levels. The gas milage is not something to brag about either. I get about 18mpg on the highway and 12 in city. However, the engine is plenty powerful to tow my speedboat without breaking a sweat. Overall, this is a very nice car!"

Offroad Beast!!

By on Thursday, October 18, 2007

"I have a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser. It is the very best offroad vehicle you can buy. You have to get the 1994 year or lower because of the inline V6. The gear ratio is low and it will crawl over anything. It is fantastic in the snow, mud, ice, whatever...very safe vehicle. The engine they put in these things is probably the best Toyota engine ever. And Toyota has been building great engines for a long time. Here is the deal. You can go from uptown class to redneck mudballer at any given time. This rig will turn heads no matter what you are doing or where you are going. it demands a bit of a price tag, but I've never seen anything from mine that would make me want any other vehicle. I guess the one true downfall is gas mileage. I have mine with K&N's on everything possible and was able to boost gas mileage up to about 13.5 mpg. That still sounds awful, but I was around 11 mpg before. The good part, I guess, is that is the gas mileage no matter if you're on the freeway or in the hills."

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I have gone over 200,000 with only regular maintenance. A great, great, reliable car"

Best Truck Ever Made

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Have had this truck for 15 years, and the quality is unbelivable. Close to 300,000 miles and not a single rattle or noise and it has never ever let me down. Most of the hoses are even still the original! Icredible. A toyota dealer told me the company actually lost around $5000 on each of these sold because they over built them and then had to price them to the market, I believe it. Will go into history someday as the best ever built I think."

Great Truck!

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Very Reliable, Go Anywhere"

Cons: "Eats Gas"

"If you cannot fix a vehicle yourself or pay the dealer to work on it, do not buy this truck. People complain about the $2500 cost of a head gasket change at the dealership. If you change the head gasket yourself its $150 and a few hours work. The 80 series Land Cruiser is a very reliable truck, but requires a sizable amount of preventative maintenance. It’s not a Car or your typical SUV! If you do your research online, you will find that the Series 80 is one of the most over engineered off-road vehicles you can buy. Get a truck with the factory lockers, it costs $2000 plus to have them added later. It’s great for taking the family camping and driving the back roads."

Best vehicle made!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "trouble free, goes anywhere"

Cons: "slow power windows when really cold"

"I bought my FJ80 after someone t-boned my 85' BJ-60 diesel cruiser (which had 725,000 miles on it!). I have owned several 60's and 62's and absolutely love this 80 series. I have owned it for 6 years and done nothing but change the oil and other fluids as recommended. The millage is kind of poor, the power windows are slow when it gets below 0, but otherwise no complaints. I will stick with the cruisers till they put me in the ground!"