1997 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.4

Based on 120 Ratings for the 1991 - 1997 models.

Solid, reliable, safe, a tank with nice seats

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Engine, gearing (crawl ratio 50's), tank-like"

Cons: "None."

"I've owned two FJ40's and thoroughly enjoyed them off road. They weren't the best riding on the roads in traffic though. I got a 1995 Landcruiser with 120K in 2007. Got it for my son who just started driving. Reason was that it is a very safe vehicle, a tank with wheels instead of tracks. I finally got it back in 2012 due to numerous maintenance issues, which are normal for the Landcruisers, especially at 175,000. Exchanged it for a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 40 mph highway, perfect for him. Hog heaven for me, I got my Landcruiser back. This vehicle is the most solid, off the showroom vehicle made. Without modifications, it can off road with the best and still deliver you to a high-class restaurant in a tux without missing a step. The 1996 landcruiser had basically no changes because the 1995 version got everything right. The motor and drivetrain will be considered legendary in time if not already considered one of the best. It is rated up there with the Landrover and Mercedes SUV, quite excellent company."

Best SUV ever made!!!! Hands down!!!!

By on Monday, August 13, 2012

Pros: "STURDY. Reliable. Comfy. Powerful."

Cons: "MPG. Hard to work on. ALTERNATORS>:("

"Bought mine in 92. Have had it since! Have changed oil regularly (every 10k, filter 5k) Had plugs replaced @ 150,000. It's been a car that I plan to keep until I am buried. It's gas mileage isn't great, but for a tank, it's not bad. I have driven it through a creek/small river. I take it to Snowshoe mountain about 5 times a year and it absolutely has no problem making it up the mountain. Absolutely the best SUV ever made."

Toyota's Tribute to Quality and Reliability

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "A true all purpose vehicle"

Cons: "I forget"

"I have owned a 1987 4-runner and I still own a 1984 4x4 truck. However my 1992 landcruiser eclipses them all in comfort, reliability, utility. I have owned my 92 landcruiser for 6 months and even with 205 thousand miles it starts, drives, and performs like a vehicle half its age. My wife told me the other day that she is getting sentimental about the cruiser when I suggested selling it for a newer one.....she doesn't want to let it go....a first for her. She prefers to drive it over our 03 maxima! Its crazy but we just might become a 2 cruiser family! I have nothing negative to say about the cruiser because its many positives make any negatives disappear. It has become a member of the family."

very reliable and safe feeling

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "15 mpg at 65 mph"

Cons: "19 mpg at 55mph"

"have had since 2004 when i bought it with 150,000. towed trail manor collapsable trailer like it was not there. wife feels very secure and it is up where we can seee ahead third two seats not that confortable but we can take seven people square dancing all year"

The most duriable and reliable vehicle ever own

By on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pros: "overall just a great vehicle"

Cons: "Gas mileage not the best for city driving"

"Our vehicle has been everything and more we could have expected through to present. Currently still have the vehicle and only considering getting rid of it because of gas mileage in city traffic is about only con to owning it.Certainly, the price increase in gas has made it more of a focus point than previously. Otherwise, just a great vehicle to have especially with a 4 plus family."