1996 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.4

Based on 124 Ratings for the 1992 - 1997 models.

Why doesn't anyone make them like this?

By on Saturday, February 8, 2014

Pros: "Reliability even at 270,000 miles"

Cons: "MPG 11/15 with today's prices can dent the budget."

"Excellent excellent excellent. Other than gas mileage I don't have a single complaint. I bought it used with 60,000 miles (a new one would have been cost prohibitive for me) and have only had to replace the typical wear-out items, tires, shocks, windshield due to rock chips, a couple of hoses...and a radiator and bumper because my teenager rear-ended another car. No timing chain or belt to worry about - they are gears. No CV Boots to tear, they don't have them. I drive 65% hwy/35% city and get a consistent 15mpg, nothing to brag about but did I mention I have 270,000 miles and still going strong with no rattles from anywhere - not even the interior. My vehicle is completely stock with all options, anti-lock breaks, locking differentials, moon-roof, rack, leather interior. I have never been stuck in my landcruiser, whether it be snow, sand, mud, it always pulls me through. I will never get rid of it because I haven't seen another vehicle as reliable or versatile on the road, although i do wish it got better mpg. Toyota has demonstrated to the rest of the car world how they all should be built. If you know of one that can compare, let me know! I haven't seen one yet."

BEST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE, WELL WORTH THE MONEY, AWESOME!"

Cons: "no cup hldrs in rear, poor gas Milage,"

"I bought my LC 40th Anniversary Edition use with 50K in 2000. This is the best vehicle for several reasons. Reliable, Quality Built, and Comfortable. I did not buy this vehicle for gas milage, but safety. This LC has NEVER let me down. I have traveled across the US several times coast to coast and it have NEVER failed me. It is AWD and excellent in the snow. I have not spent any money on repairs only routine maintenance. Drive like it did when I bought it. Only complaint is my husband is too tall for his 6'4 frame. Fine by me, I am the one driving...."

97 LandCruiser Lasts Long - Great value

By on Thursday, July 9, 2009

"I bought this fully-loaded 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser in 2003 - fully loaded - it's the same as the Lexus SUV of that year. It had 65K on the odometer, all carfax, etc., and I have babied it and put only 30K more miles on it. Routine maintenance is all that it's needed, i.e., rotate tires, new brake pads, change fluids (oil at every 5K mi). Although I've averaged 13 mpg over the six years I've had it now, the value of this value-packed brute (able to drive on beaches, pull boats, do long-distance highway speeds comfortably for hours getting 17 mpg on 87 octane) I intend on keeping it for my remaining lifetime."

Best Toyota ever!

By on Friday, February 6, 2009

"I bought the first Land Cruiser and my wife liked it so much, that I had to buy another one for myself!! We now own two 40th Ed 1997. Same Sage color. The 3 differential locks are great for off-roading. We have BF Goodrich and no problems in the snow. We feel very safe in this vehicle, no matter the snow storm we are in. I tow my 26 ft sail boat with ease. Pulling it out of the water is easy due to the 4wd. We highly recommend this vehicle to anyone contemplating one. It may not be good on gas, but overall it is very economical to operate as it does NOT break down. The first one took me 6 months to find. The second one almost 1.5 years. I was looking for a 1997 with the 3 differential locks in good shape with low miles. I have seen one that had 750,000 miles on it!!! Original engine!!!"

Solid, reliable, safe, a tank with nice seats

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

Pros: "Engine, gearing (crawl ratio 50's), tank-like"

Cons: "None."

"I've owned two FJ40's and thoroughly enjoyed them off road. They weren't the best riding on the roads in traffic though. I got a 1995 Landcruiser with 120K in 2007. Got it for my son who just started driving. Reason was that it is a very safe vehicle, a tank with wheels instead of tracks. I finally got it back in 2012 due to numerous maintenance issues, which are normal for the Landcruisers, especially at 175,000. Exchanged it for a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 40 mph highway, perfect for him. Hog heaven for me, I got my Landcruiser back. This vehicle is the most solid, off the showroom vehicle made. Without modifications, it can off road with the best and still deliver you to a high-class restaurant in a tux without missing a step. The 1996 landcruiser had basically no changes because the 1995 version got everything right. The motor and drivetrain will be considered legendary in time if not already considered one of the best. It is rated up there with the Landrover and Mercedes SUV, quite excellent company."