1996 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.4

Based on 119 Ratings for the 1991 - 1997 models.

This Is the best vehicle I have ever owned!!

By on Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pros: "base price was over 50k now you can get one for 5k"

Cons: "People don't like to part with them. Hard to find"

"I have owned this vehicle for 6 years, and I can honestly say that anyone that is looking to purchase a very reliable and very capable truck, has to own this vehicle. I have many friends that love to go 4 wheeling, or just camping, and knowing that we have such a capable 4 wheel drive if we run into anything unexpected is such a good feeling. We know that we will still be coming back. Some of my other friends that have Jeeps can not say the same thing! If you are even considering purchasing a 4 wheel drive, make it a landcruiser!"

Over-rated, really.

By on Thursday, April 10, 2014

Reason: bad gas mileage, EXTREMELY expensive for service and repairs.

Pros: "Handles well in a straight line, but slow."

Cons: "Crazy expensive for service and repair."

"These vehicles are great when they are new but once they get some miles on them, say over 150,000, they need constant and VERY expensive maintenance. They get horrible gas mileage, maybe 12mpg around town, 15mpg highway. They have a few quirks that can stop you dead in your tracks and leave you stranded. They ALL have a defective headgasket design. They ALL will blow sooner or later. So if the headgasket has not been replaced yet, take $2500 right off the top of the asking price, because that is the minimum you will have to pay to get it fixed. If you don't get it fixed and continue to drive it with a leaking headgasket you will ruin the engine. Just to service the (hidden) CV joints costs, are you ready for it, $1500, and that is if there are no worn parts needing replacing, most of that is in labor charges. So overall, unless you own an oil well in North Dakota, take a pass on the FZJ-80 Toyota Landcruiser; they are totally not indestructable and will empty your bank account quickly."

Solid TRUCK

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Life saving tank of a truck"

Cons: "Gas hog"

"Solid axles and solid drivetrain. Hidden underneath luxury appointments. I hit a deer dead center of the front bumper at 70 mph. Drove home . Truck in opposite direction also hit a deer in the herd that came from nowhere to cover the whole two lanes. He didn't drive away. LCs are tough. I have owned a few including a 40. They are all serious trucks. This configuration of the Land Cruiser might have been the best. I give it "11"."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "Everything."

Cons: "none."

"This is the 11th Toyota I have ever owned. None of them have ever given me any issues. I just sold my Toyota 94 4x4 4cyl which had 336,000 miles on it and ran great. I own a 94 Landcruiser with all options including front, rear and center locking differentials. All options work as they should. The vehicle drives and runs perfect. It still has the original paint, interior and windshield! It does not leak, burn oil, etc. Our Cruiser has 237,000 miles and runs like a champ! Toyota is all I will ever buy and the 1993-94 Landcruiser is the best one they ever made. I have seen people that have 600,000 miles on the original engine/tranny/etc on these and still running strong. The interior is great on our cruiser also. The dash shows no sign of wear after 21 years of use (never used a dash cover). I love this vehicle. Only downside is the 13-14 MPG (all city driving). To me though this is a trade off for a heavy, safe vehicle."

Why doesn't anyone make them like this?

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliability even at 270,000 miles"

Cons: "MPG 11/15 with today's prices can dent the budget."

"Excellent excellent excellent. Other than gas mileage I don't have a single complaint. I bought it used with 60,000 miles (a new one would have been cost prohibitive for me) and have only had to replace the typical wear-out items, tires, shocks, windshield due to rock chips, a couple of hoses...and a radiator and bumper because my teenager rear-ended another car. No timing chain or belt to worry about - they are gears. No CV Boots to tear, they don't have them. I drive 65% hwy/35% city and get a consistent 15mpg, nothing to brag about but did I mention I have 270,000 miles and still going strong with no rattles from anywhere - not even the interior. My vehicle is completely stock with all options, anti-lock breaks, locking differentials, moon-roof, rack, leather interior. I have never been stuck in my landcruiser, whether it be snow, sand, mud, it always pulls me through. I will never get rid of it because I haven't seen another vehicle as reliable or versatile on the road, although i do wish it got better mpg. Toyota has demonstrated to the rest of the car world how they all should be built. If you know of one that can compare, let me know! I haven't seen one yet."