1996 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.4

Based on 121 Ratings for the 1991 - 1997 models.

The best SUV ever made in my opinion.

By on Tuesday, March 31, 2015

"Purchased my original LC in 1993 (New). Have been driving this car for going on 22 years now... she has never let me down. In fact, I purchased another 1996 model as a mate and keep both side by side in a vacation home in Colorado. IMO... the best all round SUV one could own. My wife has been talking upgrade to newer vehicles... I am at a loss as to how we could improve."

Great Truck!

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Very Reliable, Go Anywhere"

Cons: "Eats Gas"

"If you cannot fix a vehicle yourself or pay the dealer to work on it, do not buy this truck. People complain about the $2500 cost of a head gasket change at the dealership. If you change the head gasket yourself its $150 and a few hours work. The 80 series Land Cruiser is a very reliable truck, but requires a sizable amount of preventative maintenance. It’s not a Car or your typical SUV! If you do your research online, you will find that the Series 80 is one of the most over engineered off-road vehicles you can buy. Get a truck with the factory lockers, it costs $2000 plus to have them added later. It’s great for taking the family camping and driving the back roads."

Solid, reliable, safe, a tank with nice seats

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Engine, gearing (crawl ratio 50's), tank-like"

Cons: "None."

"I've owned two FJ40's and thoroughly enjoyed them off road. They weren't the best riding on the roads in traffic though. I got a 1995 Landcruiser with 120K in 2007. Got it for my son who just started driving. Reason was that it is a very safe vehicle, a tank with wheels instead of tracks. I finally got it back in 2012 due to numerous maintenance issues, which are normal for the Landcruisers, especially at 175,000. Exchanged it for a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 40 mph highway, perfect for him. Hog heaven for me, I got my Landcruiser back. This vehicle is the most solid, off the showroom vehicle made. Without modifications, it can off road with the best and still deliver you to a high-class restaurant in a tux without missing a step. The 1996 landcruiser had basically no changes because the 1995 version got everything right. The motor and drivetrain will be considered legendary in time if not already considered one of the best. It is rated up there with the Landrover and Mercedes SUV, quite excellent company."

My LC

By on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"I bought this 1992 Land Cruiser over a year ago with 185,000 miles on it. It now has 208,000 miles on it and it still runs great. It goes anywhere and doesnt care what the terrain is like or if there is snow on the ground. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on performance only because it it pretty gutless and gets bad gas mileage, which I was aware of before I bought it. I sold my 4-runner and bought this for the third row seating which comes in handy. All of my power options work great and there is nothing that does not function on the vehicle except the parking lights (no biggie). It has over 200k miles but for an inline 6 that is not a lot of miles. The LC is my daily driver and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. I run 31" good year MT's on it and they have 22k miles on them and have used less than half the tread. I would strongly reccommend these tires to anyone with a LC... they hold up very well on the highway and off road. They are only 6 ply but have held up great for me. When this one eventually dies I fully intend on buying another LC probably a mid-late '90s if I can find one."

Simply Timeless Quality

By on Monday, July 06, 2009

"I can't say enough about this vehicle. Its like James Bond's tuxedo regardless of the task at hand, it just works. The A/C will freeze you and the heat (with rear heater) will scald you. Well engineered, well put together (thats why the UN uses these and a lot of Australians in the outback too. If the apocalypse is coming...This is what I want to be driving!!"