1996 Toyota Land Cruiser

9.4

Based on 124 Ratings for the 1991 - 1997 models.

Why doesn't anyone make them like this?

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Reliability even at 270,000 miles"

Cons: "MPG 11/15 with today's prices can dent the budget."

"Excellent excellent excellent. Other than gas mileage I don't have a single complaint. I bought it used with 60,000 miles (a new one would have been cost prohibitive for me) and have only had to replace the typical wear-out items, tires, shocks, windshield due to rock chips, a couple of hoses...and a radiator and bumper because my teenager rear-ended another car. No timing chain or belt to worry about - they are gears. No CV Boots to tear, they don't have them. I drive 65% hwy/35% city and get a consistent 15mpg, nothing to brag about but did I mention I have 270,000 miles and still going strong with no rattles from anywhere - not even the interior. My vehicle is completely stock with all options, anti-lock breaks, locking differentials, moon-roof, rack, leather interior. I have never been stuck in my landcruiser, whether it be snow, sand, mud, it always pulls me through. I will never get rid of it because I haven't seen another vehicle as reliable or versatile on the road, although i do wish it got better mpg. Toyota has demonstrated to the rest of the car world how they all should be built. If you know of one that can compare, let me know! I haven't seen one yet."

The best 4X4 I've ever owned!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Tough, reliable, good looking, fun"

Cons: "gas mileage in the 11-14 mpg range"

"We'd looked and looked for a good Land Cruiser for some time, but the dealer mark-up and private party sales prices in our area (Southern California) for good Land Cruisers were ridiculously high. We found this truck at a parking lot company that was selling it after it was abandoned five years prior, and they needed to clear it out. We looked at it and knew that was the one for us. It hadn't been started for 5 years, it had a dry radiator, a dead battery, and it wouldn't run, but a few minutes work and a trip to an auto parts store later, it fired right up and we were on the freeway headed home (running on the 5 year old gas in the tank). It has been absolutely reliable both on the road and off; we don't baby the truck off road - it will go anywhere, any time. It easily out performs all the other 4X4's we've owned, especially off road, and is a far better all around value and much tougher as well. I highly recommend an FZJ80 Land Cruiser to any one in the market for a fantastic, reliable, and tough (real)4X4 SUV, and one that you can feel absolutely safe putting your family aboard. Need a zombie apocalypse vehicle? The get yourself a Land Cruiser!"

BEST VEHICLE I EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE, WELL WORTH THE MONEY, AWESOME!"

Cons: "no cup hldrs in rear, poor gas Milage,"

"I bought my LC 40th Anniversary Edition use with 50K in 2000. This is the best vehicle for several reasons. Reliable, Quality Built, and Comfortable. I did not buy this vehicle for gas milage, but safety. This LC has NEVER let me down. I have traveled across the US several times coast to coast and it have NEVER failed me. It is AWD and excellent in the snow. I have not spent any money on repairs only routine maintenance. Drive like it did when I bought it. Only complaint is my husband is too tall for his 6'4 frame. Fine by me, I am the one driving...."

97 LandCruiser Lasts Long - Great value

By on Thursday, July 09, 2009

"I bought this fully-loaded 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser in 2003 - fully loaded - it's the same as the Lexus SUV of that year. It had 65K on the odometer, all carfax, etc., and I have babied it and put only 30K more miles on it. Routine maintenance is all that it's needed, i.e., rotate tires, new brake pads, change fluids (oil at every 5K mi). Although I've averaged 13 mpg over the six years I've had it now, the value of this value-packed brute (able to drive on beaches, pull boats, do long-distance highway speeds comfortably for hours getting 17 mpg on 87 octane) I intend on keeping it for my remaining lifetime."

Solid, reliable, safe, a tank with nice seats

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Engine, gearing (crawl ratio 50's), tank-like"

Cons: "None."

"I've owned two FJ40's and thoroughly enjoyed them off road. They weren't the best riding on the roads in traffic though. I got a 1995 Landcruiser with 120K in 2007. Got it for my son who just started driving. Reason was that it is a very safe vehicle, a tank with wheels instead of tracks. I finally got it back in 2012 due to numerous maintenance issues, which are normal for the Landcruisers, especially at 175,000. Exchanged it for a 2004 Toyota Corolla, 40 mph highway, perfect for him. Hog heaven for me, I got my Landcruiser back. This vehicle is the most solid, off the showroom vehicle made. Without modifications, it can off road with the best and still deliver you to a high-class restaurant in a tux without missing a step. The 1996 landcruiser had basically no changes because the 1995 version got everything right. The motor and drivetrain will be considered legendary in time if not already considered one of the best. It is rated up there with the Landrover and Mercedes SUV, quite excellent company."

My LC

By on Wednesday, November 17, 2010

"I bought this 1992 Land Cruiser over a year ago with 185,000 miles on it. It now has 208,000 miles on it and it still runs great. It goes anywhere and doesnt care what the terrain is like or if there is snow on the ground. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars on performance only because it it pretty gutless and gets bad gas mileage, which I was aware of before I bought it. I sold my 4-runner and bought this for the third row seating which comes in handy. All of my power options work great and there is nothing that does not function on the vehicle except the parking lights (no biggie). It has over 200k miles but for an inline 6 that is not a lot of miles. The LC is my daily driver and I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere. I run 31" good year MT's on it and they have 22k miles on them and have used less than half the tread. I would strongly reccommend these tires to anyone with a LC... they hold up very well on the highway and off road. They are only 6 ply but have held up great for me. When this one eventually dies I fully intend on buying another LC probably a mid-late '90s if I can find one."

Simply Timeless Quality

By on Monday, July 06, 2009

"I can't say enough about this vehicle. Its like James Bond's tuxedo regardless of the task at hand, it just works. The A/C will freeze you and the heat (with rear heater) will scald you. Well engineered, well put together (thats why the UN uses these and a lot of Australians in the outback too. If the apocalypse is coming...This is what I want to be driving!!"

Best Toyota ever!

By on Friday, February 06, 2009

"I bought the first Land Cruiser and my wife liked it so much, that I had to buy another one for myself!! We now own two 40th Ed 1997. Same Sage color. The 3 differential locks are great for off-roading. We have BF Goodrich and no problems in the snow. We feel very safe in this vehicle, no matter the snow storm we are in. I tow my 26 ft sail boat with ease. Pulling it out of the water is easy due to the 4wd. We highly recommend this vehicle to anyone contemplating one. It may not be good on gas, but overall it is very economical to operate as it does NOT break down. The first one took me 6 months to find. The second one almost 1.5 years. I was looking for a 1997 with the 3 differential locks in good shape with low miles. I have seen one that had 750,000 miles on it!!! Original engine!!!"

Ultimate SUV

By on Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"Purchased my 1995 Land Cruiser with over 200,000 miles on it. Still runs and handles beautifully. Very comfortable ride and has power you can hear and feel. Once you buy one, you'll never go back to anything else. Only drawback is the gas mileage, but considering everything you get with this SUV, it's an even trade!"

Unbelivable off road vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 14, 2008

"This vehicle is an unreal off road machine. Even stock can whip any lifted jeep. But even better because of toyota's unmatched quality and dependability. Mine has 209000 and still runs strong."