2014 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $33,697 - $34,856.

10/8.3

Based on 33 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

9.7/10
    9.9/10

#1 value in luxury 3 row AWD.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"We were ready to put a deposit on a loaded 2014 MDX (what seemed to be the best combination of practicality, luxury and reliabilty), when we looked at a 2014 Highlander Limited AWD. After an extended test drive and and thorough comparison, we were 100% sold on the Highlander. Although the MDX offers a slight edge in acceleration and fuel efficiency, the Highlander Limited was equivalent or superior in all other aspects. And $14K cheaper. Areas where the Highlander really stood out: ** Spaciousness ** The MDX is sports sedan cozy - like a 3 series BMW (OK for 4 people, but borderline claustrophobic for 5 or more). The Highlander has more headroom, shoulder room and more cabin volume (closer to Mercedes GL or Toyota Sequoia) - and is comfortable for up to 6. ** Usable 3rd Row ** With the adjustable 2nd row captain's chairs, the 3rd Row is easily accessible for kids - and reasonable agile adults. This is a HUGE advantage of the Highlander in comparison to all but the biggest 3 row vehicles. Ventilation controls, lighting, armrests and cup holders make the 3rd row 100% practical if not actually comfortable. ** Family Friendly Luxury ** Tough, durable materials below the seat level and carefully crafted leather, blue ambient lighting and electronic displays above. And all the details and gadgetry (heated/cooled seats, traffic warming systems, push start, backup camera, nav, etc.) will make you wonder: is this really a Toyota? ** Practical Performance ** Accelerates crisply and with authority. Excellent in freeway merges and lane changes. Easy to track a straight, solid line in freeway traffic. Solid, responsive and reasonably flat handling (for a 2+ ton vehicle) in twisty 2 lane roads. While none of the vehicles in this class offer breakthrough design, I like the athletic / modern look of the Highlander as much or more than the MDX, Infinity, Audi or Lexus."

Highlander 2wd Limited Platinum - luxury

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Safety features, Comfort, Family value,"

Cons: "short stock, LED headlight, entertainment sys"

"I drove away my first Toyota, I was swinging between Toyota and couple of other brands including Nissan Pathfinder, SantaFe, Pilot and certified Infinity JX35/QX60. I am so happy I bought what I bought. Its awesome vehicle. I bought top of the line and trust me you should buy this if you are not afraid of spending a bit more and do not really care about seating 8. It rides like a warm knife through a melting butter cube. It rides way better than the previous generation. The interior is good, captains chairs in second row are super comfy. Dashboard and first row cabin is sheer luxury. You will notice Toyota is not looking to cut corners there. I totally felt its designed to attract young family where Male drivers are willing to drive a real Cross Over and not a van and Toyota hit a home run with this. It looks manly from outside. The safety features are good enough to make you feel not out of date in following years. Blind spot, lane departure, front collision system, rear sonar, parking assist newly added air bags are good to keep my kids safe inside the car. Surprisingly the ride is peppy, I was suspecting it to be dull but its quite fun. You will feel little bit of body roll if you cut the corners tightly. But lets be honest, if you are buying this vehicle you are looking for little bit of style, a lot of comfort, a lot of safety features and stable ride. It does drive well as long as you are not expecting it to ride like a read SUV like FJ or 4Runner. I highly recommend buying this if you are looking for a good, safe and sensible family ride. BTW, it does fit a stroller even when you are using third row. I tried it, it was my buying criteria, it just fits a stroller."

Awesome 2014 Toyota Highlander XLE

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Styling, power, ice chest fits behind 3rd row"

Cons: "no LED tail lights, LED DRL only on Limited up"

"PROS: - sunroof and leather Awesome! This accelerates soo fast (3.5 L engine) and smoothly because it has 6 speeds that 80mph feels like 55mph. 0-60 time is 7.6 seconds - Voice activated commands for dialing a phone, playing a song, etc. - Double wishbone rear suspension means better handling and 3 inch wider interior in 3rd row. We hardly felt speed bumps. - Shelf for cellphone, Bluetooth, hands-free - BIG 8inch GPS TOUCHSCREEN and backup camera and apps like Accuweather, etc. - side mirrors have turn light blinkers - more space behind the 3rd row - Sexy styling (looks a little like Jeep Grand Cherokee and BMW X5) with chrome accents on the roofline. Integrated rear spoiler. The door's body tapers in toward the glass window as opposed to the usual boring glass and body flushed against each other. - 11 airbags (includes driver's knee) - traction control, stability control, ABS - sliding 2nd row seat makes it easy to get to the 3rd row - 3 ac outlets and a 110V outlet - Small turning radius of 38.7 feet - BIG 245/60/18 tires - Auto dimming rearview mirror - Easy Driver Speak to amplify driver's voice to the rear passengers - 3 zones a/c system and controllable by 2nd row passengers - Fog lights - Power driver seat - Daytime running lights - Rear glass on the tailgate opens - 1 push window down for BOTH driver and passenger - Power tailgate - Push button start - sunshades in the 2nd row - garage homelink - heated side mirrors - heated seats (I live where it's hot so I don't really care about this) - windshield wiper deicer (I live where it's hot so I don't really care about this - 19mpg City, 25mpg Highway - 24 months free Toyota maintenance like oil changes and tire rotations. - Toyota has the highest resale value - Toyota reliability CONS: - Tailights are not LED. - White LED light in front is only in higher models like LIMITED. CONCLUSION: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."

Best vehicle purchase

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Luxury ride feel, power, interior quality."

Cons: "I can't think of any cons, it's a great vehicle"

First 600 miles completed, Blizzard Pearl, V6 LE Plus AWD

"Traded my 2012 CRV due lack of power, but didn't realize how much of a ride quality I was also missing. I average over 600 miles a week, so safety and security is a must. Driving has never felt so at ease and comfortable in the Highlander.I feel much more in control and confident driving in bad weather. The 6th vehicle I've purchased, and by far the best vehicle purchase to date."

First 600 miles completed, Blizzard Pearl, V6 LE Plus AWD

Best vehicle for us

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great transmission, comfortable seats, roomy"

Cons: "manual passenger seat"

"We especially like the new 6 speed transmission. It allows use of cruise control, even on hills without revving up the engine as much as earlier models. The seats are more comfortable than earlier models. Gas mileage is similar to earlier models, ie 22-25 MPG on the interstate. It also provides the solid quiet ride we expect from a Highlander. We miss the power passenger seat on our XLE model. We liked the LE model but needed 8 passenger capacity not available on the LE model. We replaced a 2008 Highlander with over 200,000 miles for this vehicle. We had no problems with it and expect the same quality and reliability with our new one. I'm sold on the new one."

ONE LUXURY SUV

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "new upgrades, performance, better value, ride,"

Cons: "Honda CR-V will lose"

"I'm a Loyal Toyota customer and #1 satisfaction owner who drove (2 Toyota's and went for another one decided looking at new crossover. LUV my new Highlander has better features than 4Runner was considering buying again since had a 2003 brand new without having any mechanical problems and excellent gas mileage too. The Highlander is more quieter got a really high performance ride and has Lexus interior and new looks to it. I have a 3rd row seating its comfortable and the seats folds flat down or having more room. Navigation is better and the devices behind are a plus on earning overall best value ever. Has effortless handling I got heated seats, rearview camera, Bluetooth, xenon headlamps and lots of space for used to be a small crossover with the luxury price to it but now has changed so much on the 2014 model I have bought for the money. I think it looks better from other Toyota SUVs as Venza, RAV4 and 4 Runner its bit luxury and has a greater ride than ever. Have good quality storage spaces whenever needed for more and probably got a greater towing capacity too as is haven't tried yet on hooking a trailer or boat yet. There isn't no shortcomings can think on Highlander a great SUV worth a better price on upgrade style and better interior features."

Great choice for our Family

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable reliable with adequate adds"

Cons: "Wind Noise ,Plastic parts, monitor glare"

Nice Ride

"We owned this vehicle since Jan 2014, it has all what we need, with few things that we believe needs revision and improvement. I will start with the Pros: High comfortable ride, well engagement with the road, great addition of navi and big informative touch screen in addition to the Blind spot monitoring system, it is enough to haul my family and most of the kids toys specially for long trips, basically we drive it with confidence. cons: The Navigation screen has glare during midday driving her in California and I have to provide cover from the sunlight to see the information displayed on the screen, plastic parts inside are not stable and easily detachable with minimum contact specially rail covers in the back seat, there is wind noise and air felt with speed >50 mph, the mirrors are huge and kind of blocking the visibility when turning specially to the left. Finally for the MSRP that Toyota demands I believe the quality should be superior to what has been provided."

Nice Ride

Drives like a dream

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "great price for the value, quite & comfortable"

"SO I test drove almost all the SUV's in the market before deciding on the Toyota Highlander Platinum edition 4WD. It is hands down among the best driving SUVs out there. It is quite and very comfortable to drive it. The Toyota Entune Infotainment system is responsive and up to date. You will love the extra shelf on the front console for your keys and your phone. A huge side storage between the driver and the front passenger seats. I have not yet used the third row seats so I can not give a feedback on those. Overall, no regrets whatsoever."

Has everything I need, and nothing I don't

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Nice leather; functional, intuitive media, VALUE!"

Cons: "no anchor for rear-facing child seat in 2nd row"

"I was really having a tough time sorting through the countless crossovers out there. I was vacillating between the Ford Explorer, the Nissan Pathfinder and the Infinity QX60. Once the 2014 edition Highlander came on the market, we went for a test-drive and we were sold. It has many improvements over the 2013 model. My favorite is the XLE edition, which allows one to have leather seating without having to add all the extra superfluousness of the "limited platinum." You will get amazing value on the XLE. The suspension is really smooth over speed bumps and while doing 80 on the freeway. They did a great job on soundproofing - you'll need to look at the speedometer to realize how fast you're going. The turn radius is pretty tight, especially for such a large car. Braking is outstanding - it is evenly distributed and the distance is short. The low-end torque is decent, once you realize how heavy the car is and that it gets fairly good MPGs, even around town. If you have two young ones, or are about to, I would highly recommend the highlander. They will appreciate the standard second row sun shades and the tri-zone climate control. You even have a "speak-easy" function where you can talk to them through their speakers without having to turn around."

2014 Highlander Limited AWD with Platinum Package

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "All the tech, smooth / quiet ride, fun, comfort"

"Wow... Just picked up my 2014 Highlander this week, and it is awesome! Much different from my 2008 Highlander, eventhough it was great too. I will start by saying this is about the most quiet SUV I have ever been in. Smooth as silk ride. I have most everything that comes with it except the DVD. The leather seats are extremely comfortable , and the driver seat has plenty of seat adjustments. The safety features are fantastic: Lane departure, blind spot, parking assist, auto cruise control, back-up camera with wide screen. The bridgestone tires that mine came with are very quiet, and they look great! The JBL system is sweet, and all the apps are fun to try as well. Easy to use controls are great ! The new 6 speed trans. is very smooth...you hardly feel the trans. shift at all.There is plenty of leg room both front and back, as well as head room. The panoramic sunroof is awesome and lets in alot of light. It is very fun to drive. I test drove a Lexus RX350, and there is no comparison. highlander is more quiet and smooth, and offers a lush interior and plenty of options. Try one out...you will love it !"

Not designed to accomodate sports equipment

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

I want this car

Cons: "Will not accomodate after market rack attachments"

"The roof rails are flush with the roof so it is not possible to attach after market rack attachments, for example. Yakima and Thule. The Highlander rack rails will not accommodate other attachments. Thus the Highlander roof rack configuration design makes it impossible to safely and securely carry skis, bicycles, kayaks, etc on the roof. So what good is the Highlander roof rack? The distance between the roof rack is fixed and narrow. The design was to make the racks look good but not functional for the customer. Poor design."

Huge improvement!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

"Traded in our 2012 Highlander SE for the 2014 Limited. To say the least the improvements Toyota made on then Highlander are extraordinary! Better inside and out and sooo much quieter ride and smooth handling. We got the Limited over the XLE because we wanted the heated/cooled seats and the JBL stereo system. XLE is probably the best value but we love the one we got. Check out the new silver color too, it's not like the plain silver on other Toyota models, it's called silver sky and has a light blue tint to it that nicely sets off the chrome and black trims. Highly recommend so far!"

Great car!

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "It feels more powerful than stats suggest."

Cons: "Bench second row seat not available in upper trims"

"Easy car to drive in all weather conditions. I am not able to achieve the promised mpg but it is still acceptable."

Nasty navigation inside a great car

By on Monday, November 17, 2014

Pros: "well build, awesome quality"

Cons: "Navigation is terrible"

"Overall really nice car. Huge improvement over prior builds. After evaluating other options, it seems like the best car out there in it's class. It is a bit heavy and sometimes feel a bit of a challenge to gain speed quickly. Navigation is horrific: 1. very slow: when you type an address, the system responds slower with resulting incorrect selection of towns and streets. requires going back or re-entry. 2. no visible traffic patterns. it kind of calculates by itself, but the data is not accurate so it is quite useless. overall navigation lags years behind google maps so you end up using your phone anyway for a much better and timely advise. they must start integrating with apple and google operating systems. don't spend extra money on this navigation."

Best car ever

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Nothing that really matters."

"Had a '12 dodge Ram P/U but the gas was killing me. This vehicle does EVERYTHING the truck did but haul a refrigerator. Roomy, rides like a limo, quick for an SUV and get this----- 25 mpg on a trip with a 270 HP V6 (all wheel drive). Quality is untouchable! I looked at Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mazda CX-9, Dodge Durango and Nissan Pathfinder. No contest.The Highlander has MORE 2nd row seat room than any of them. very happy with this vehicle! One thing i wished it had------Dual exhaust. Small price to pay for contentment."

Great Improvement over the 2013 model

By on Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pros: "This newly designed SUV is a pleasure to drive."

Cons: "No ventilated cup holder. No 2nd row bench seat."

"I traded my 2013 Highlander Limited with 45,000 miles for a 2015. The improvements are significant! Driving performance is nicely enhanced. Handling is improved resulting in substantially less body roll, traction control makes pulling out of an intersection more secure, turning radius has been reduced. Comfort levels have been enhanced with nice features such as ventilated seats and improved rear storage when 3rd row is in use."

The best SUV ever!

By on Monday, June 23, 2014

"I have owned 4 SUV's, including two Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer editions. I decided I wanted something with better mileage and after driving seven different brands, I opted for the 2014 Toyota Highlander. I choose a Limited version w/ an MSRP of $43,903 and got an excellent deal by working two dealers until I got the price I wanted. The vehicle is one month old tomorrow and it is simply fantastic. Love all of the features, the steering and ride is nothing short of perfect. I'm tall and on the heavy side, but I fit in the Highlander as easily as I do my Expedition. Gas mileage is outstanding and my family loves it too. If you're in the market for a new SUV, drive the Highlander....you won't be disappointed!!!"

Great family SUV and fun to drive !

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "Very roomy interior and strong looking exterior."

Cons: "The best upgrades are only for the Limited package"

"The 2014 Toyota Highlander is a fun SUV to drive. I did my homework before purchasing and boy did it pay off ! My whole family loves driving it. The new interior is really roomy and awesome. Can't wait to go on the weekend to the beach ! Anyone who is really in the market for a new SUV should seriously look into this ALL new Highlander. It won't disappoint ...: )"

Toyota Got it Right

By on Saturday, December 06, 2014

Pros: "ride, comfort, steering feel, utility"

"I've owned the AWD Limited Platinum for over 6 months and couldn't be much happier with it. I test drove and researched many competitors, but it came down to this and the Acura MDX (AWD base). They were both around the same price, but of course you get all the bells and whistles with the Toyota, and I am so glad I did. Also, I actually preferred the ride and steering over the Acura. The steering feel is excellent...nice and tight. At the same time the ride is extremely smooth so you really get the best of both worlds. So even with the base V6 you will still enjoy the great ride. The bucket seats in the rear, suit our 4-member family perfectly. The amount of space back there, makes it a great place to be. The panoramic sunroof and heated steering wheel are as nice as expected. However, I was surprised by how much I use and appreciate the blind spot monitoring and the adaptive cruise control. I highly recommend this vehicle."

Impressive so far.

By on Monday, August 04, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive. Very well equipped. Nice looking."

Cons: "No lumbar support for passenger seat"

"While 650 miles is a little soon to fully evaluate a vehicle, I am impressed! I have driven three other SUV/crossovers more than 100k miles each, this Highlander, which is my first Toyota, seems easier to drive than any of them. The interior is well designed and comfortable. I think it is one of the better looking SUV's of any size."

2014 Highlander XLE AWD

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Pros: "Very refined and quiet interior."

Cons: "Large side mirrors and limited rail options."

"We got the XLE Silver Sky metallic and looking at the interior, which has the right amount of soft touch materials and plastic, it feels you're driving a luxury car. Quiet on the highway, very minimal body roll for it's size, seats are comfortable and steering is responsive. Fast and smooth acceleration, barely notice the gears changing. Only gripe like mentioned before on earlier reviews, the side mirrors are huge that it can obstruct vision especially when turning to your left. And the roof rails which is designed to be more aerodynamic, is not third party friendly when it comes to using your preferred rack/rail equipment."

Great choice for an "All-Around" SUV!

By on Friday, January 16, 2015

Pros: "Nice ride & handling, stylish, safe, technology"

Cons: "Price and MPG"

"I previously owned a 91 Camry, 03 Highlander, 06 4-Runner and 07 Camry. This time I was leaning towards a 4-Runner, but after taking another look at the new Highlander I decided to purchase. I went with the Limited edition (with Driver Tech package /AWD / Blue-Ray player/ Towing package). I also decided on the White Blizzard Pearl color; which I think is the best looking of them all, second choice would have been silver. I also looked at the Platinum Limited (PL) version however couldn’t find it in White, in this area. The only main difference between my Limited (with my added options) and the PL is the PL has the heated rear seats & steering wheel and the full panoramic moon roof; I really didn’t need either of those options. I wouldn’t get the Limited without the Driver-Technology package; it’s a little expensive but I think it’s got some nice features (mainly safety). The Towing package comes with a heavy duty radiator with oil / trans cooler (nice for general towing or even if you live in an area with a hot climate). Also, the Limited has the JBL radio, the heated & vented front seats and various other standard options, i.e. led running lights, puddle lights, blue interior lighting accents, and various other things (research). It took me a few days to figure out all the bells & whistles. Now that I’m accustomed to this vehicle I’m pretty happy with my purchase. If you want an “all-around” SUV, especially if you have kids, or you will be using it in snow country (considering the AWD option) then this may be the SUV for you. If you do live in snow country you may want to consider the PL model, hence the heated rear seats/steering wheel options; however you won’t get the Blue-Ray for the kids. If you will be doing more off-roading or live off- the-grid then you may want to look at the 4-Runner. At the end of the day I think this was the best choice for us. Did I mention this thing is loaded? When the trial Sirius Radio and the Toyota Safety Connect runs out I will be renewing, I’m spoiled now."

Great SUV for the money and will not disappoint

By on Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Pros: "Good ride for the price and options"

Cons: "want more driving fun. Needs more lights inside"

"Let me start by saying I am a sports car guy who has always owned a second vehicle for going off road and sometimes a third for trips or hauling things. So picking a middle market SUV was an odd choice for me now that I can only own 2 vehicles where I live. But I have not been let down. Here's my review hopefully its helpful. I have not been disappointed. This is my 4th Toyota. I think so far its the second best I've owned after my 2004 Tacoma, also really liked my Rav4 sport 6cyl (FAST!). I bought the Highlander last year after having back surgery and really, really looked into what type of SUV would work best. I was having trouble getting in and out of lower vehicles and I needed something that was comfortable due to the extent of my surgery. (bad bike accident) I test drove probably around 15 vehicles before making my choice for the Highlander, so it beat the competition for me on price and value. I am a business owner who drives a lot hauls around a team to techies (5 of them) and is always going to events where I need to haul a Booth (and techies). This thing does it all and recently I have been getting above 25mpg on the highway. City normally around 16mpg. I got through this past winters snow storms thanks the the AWD with snow up too almost 2 feet only got kinda stuck once while driving through a snow drift for fun (I haven't matured fully). Threw on the center diff lock thingy, and it drove right out even with its semi crummy tires. Ride: Pretty good, not as good as my old range rover(2001) good but it doesn't disappoint. I like the sure footed-ness and not to bouncy ride quality. I honestly don't think about it much and that's a good thing. I liked it more than the competition in some ways. Handling: Isn't bad for a larger vehicle but I think it could be better with a more premium set of rubber. I have had a bit of fun on some back roads and have gotten it to oversteer a few times when pushing to hard in a corner. (again crummy tires partially at fault). I don't recommend turning of traction control unless you are a driver who knows how to push the weight of a vehicle like this around corners. All in all it handles a little better than expected but your not going to be beating anyone at the track. (probably best not to try in general) Acceleration: Is pretty good, but for someone who's last vehicle did it in less than 5 secs it seems a bit slow. I actually tested it with a buddy one day and got 6.6 to 60mph which isn't bad for a big lug. I think its gotten better now that the motor is broken in. I was surprised since its 1 second faster than posted. No I wasn't trying on a down hill. It gets on the freeway well and I can pass with ease. I beat my friend in his Audi A4 in a silly drag race. General Driving Dynamics: On a daily basis this thing is fine. Nothing jarringly bad about it. Nothing super impressive either. Its just solid and gets me through the day with out feeling exhausted from driving. Sometimes I wish for more power and better handling but its not really the vehicle for that but a bit more is always nice. Interior: Great! Everything I need. I got the LE Plus trim. I don't need to many fancy things. I hate most GPS's so I am happy to use my mobile phone. I like the way the dash is laid out with the shelf for odd items or smartphones, but sometimes the screen is hard to read in if the sun is coming in at the right angle. Bluetooth works well most people don't know I am talking and driving to them at the same time. All the controls on the wheel are easy to use and in the right places. Controls on the dash are a bit hard to reach with out leaning a bit forward. May be tough for shorter drivers. Seats are great and comfy (main reason I bough it). Tons of room for you and your stuff. Great if you need to drive more than 5 people around. Way back is a bit tight and only small friends or kids should go back there. I don't have kids so I can't do the stroller test but I am planning on that so its ready when they come along. Exterior: It looks ok,from some angles it looks odd overall good design and I don't feel like I am driving a mommy wagon. I got the silver and its a good color. I don't look at it from the outside and its not a show car, so to me it doesn't matter much. To each their own in this department. Disappointments? I don't really have to many. I sometimes wish for a bit more power and quicker steering. I don't like that the options are all over the place with trim levels. I didn't mind spending more but I didn't want a sunroof heated seats or leather. Wish the larger center screen came with the LE Plus version and those cool led lights below the fog lights. Also extra interior lights would be nice but you can only get those on higher trims. Its a bit dark inside when you are getting stuff out at night. I have left things in it since I can't see them. You can't add what you want but I got enough for what I need. Thinking about asking the dealer mechanics if I can add a few things through the parts department. (if its not to pricey) Conclusion: Probably great for anyone wanting a vehicle they can run forever. Abuse with kids or techies, Get through snow and be comfortable and compliant. I drive cars hard and all my Toyota's have never complained or failed. They are the best daily drivers and are good at being reliable transportation. This Highlander is no exception I hope to get 300k miles on this thing. My girlfriend loves it and thinks its the best vehicle we have had and her favorite to take long trips in. (we road trip a lot) Thanks for reading my rather long review hope this helps and is useful for your consideration in choosing a midsize SUV. (pick the highlander) Cheers!"

Still a great car!

By on Saturday, September 20, 2014

Pros: "Great road car, quiet for it's size."

Cons: "2nd row bench seat not available in Limited trim."

"Mild mannered family friendly vehicle. Much more interior space than the other competitors in it's class. Decent gas mileage."

Smooth ride, good on long trips, blind spots

By on Sunday, January 25, 2015

Pros: "Smooth ride, good on long trips"

Cons: "Blind spots, gas mileage ok (hoped for better)"

"We bought this in April, it is our first Toyota. The 2015 Highlander has a smooth ride and is good on long trips. I like the back up camera and the ability to talk hands free. The gas mileage is just 20.1, I was hoping for higher (it does better on long trips). It has bad blind spots, I understand the high end model has warning mechanism. The "A pillars" in the front of the car are super thick, almost making it hard to see when turning left. I used to drive a Ford Expedition, I miss the higher view. We are a family of four and we did take it on a long vacation. We had to work to fit everything (cooler) etc. One item I wish it had was seat and mirror memory system. It was a comfortable ride."