2014 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $27,466 - $28,415.

10/8.3

9.4

Based on 28 Ratings for the 2014 - 2015 models.

9.9/10

Highlander 2wd Limited Platinum - luxury

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Safety features, Comfort, Family value,"

Cons: "short stock, LED headlight, entertainment sys"

"I drove away my first Toyota, I was swinging between Toyota and couple of other brands including Nissan Pathfinder, SantaFe, Pilot and certified Infinity JX35/QX60. I am so happy I bought what I bought. Its awesome vehicle. I bought top of the line and trust me you should buy this if you are not afraid of spending a bit more and do not really care about seating 8. It rides like a warm knife through a melting butter cube. It rides way better than the previous generation. The interior is good, captains chairs in second row are super comfy. Dashboard and first row cabin is sheer luxury. You will notice Toyota is not looking to cut corners there. I totally felt its designed to attract young family where Male drivers are willing to drive a real Cross Over and not a van and Toyota hit a home run with this. It looks manly from outside. The safety features are good enough to make you feel not out of date in following years. Blind spot, lane departure, front collision system, rear sonar, parking assist newly added air bags are good to keep my kids safe inside the car. Surprisingly the ride is peppy, I was suspecting it to be dull but its quite fun. You will feel little bit of body roll if you cut the corners tightly. But lets be honest, if you are buying this vehicle you are looking for little bit of style, a lot of comfort, a lot of safety features and stable ride. It does drive well as long as you are not expecting it to ride like a read SUV like FJ or 4Runner. I highly recommend buying this if you are looking for a good, safe and sensible family ride. BTW, it does fit a stroller even when you are using third row. I tried it, it was my buying criteria, it just fits a stroller."

#1 value in luxury 3 row AWD.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"We were ready to put a deposit on a loaded 2014 MDX (what seemed to be the best combination of practicality, luxury and reliabilty), when we looked at a 2014 Highlander Limited AWD. After an extended test drive and and thorough comparison, we were 100% sold on the Highlander. Although the MDX offers a slight edge in acceleration and fuel efficiency, the Highlander Limited was equivalent or superior in all other aspects. And $14K cheaper. Areas where the Highlander really stood out: ** Spaciousness ** The MDX is sports sedan cozy - like a 3 series BMW (OK for 4 people, but borderline claustrophobic for 5 or more). The Highlander has more headroom, shoulder room and more cabin volume (closer to Mercedes GL or Toyota Sequoia) - and is comfortable for up to 6. ** Usable 3rd Row ** With the adjustable 2nd row captain's chairs, the 3rd Row is easily accessible for kids - and reasonable agile adults. This is a HUGE advantage of the Highlander in comparison to all but the biggest 3 row vehicles. Ventilation controls, lighting, armrests and cup holders make the 3rd row 100% practical if not actually comfortable. ** Family Friendly Luxury ** Tough, durable materials below the seat level and carefully crafted leather, blue ambient lighting and electronic displays above. And all the details and gadgetry (heated/cooled seats, traffic warming systems, push start, backup camera, nav, etc.) will make you wonder: is this really a Toyota? ** Practical Performance ** Accelerates crisply and with authority. Excellent in freeway merges and lane changes. Easy to track a straight, solid line in freeway traffic. Solid, responsive and reasonably flat handling (for a 2+ ton vehicle) in twisty 2 lane roads. While none of the vehicles in this class offer breakthrough design, I like the athletic / modern look of the Highlander as much or more than the MDX, Infinity, Audi or Lexus."

Awesome 2014 Toyota Highlander XLE

By on Monday, January 13, 2014

Pros: "Styling, power, ice chest fits behind 3rd row"

Cons: "no LED tail lights, LED DRL only on Limited up"

"PROS: - sunroof and leather Awesome! This accelerates soo fast (3.5 L engine) and smoothly because it has 6 speeds that 80mph feels like 55mph. 0-60 time is 7.6 seconds - Voice activated commands for dialing a phone, playing a song, etc. - Double wishbone rear suspension means better handling and 3 inch wider interior in 3rd row. We hardly felt speed bumps. - Shelf for cellphone, Bluetooth, hands-free - BIG 8inch GPS TOUCHSCREEN and backup camera and apps like Accuweather, etc. - side mirrors have turn light blinkers - more space behind the 3rd row - Sexy styling (looks a little like Jeep Grand Cherokee and BMW X5) with chrome accents on the roofline. Integrated rear spoiler. The door's body tapers in toward the glass window as opposed to the usual boring glass and body flushed against each other. - 11 airbags (includes driver's knee) - traction control, stability control, ABS - sliding 2nd row seat makes it easy to get to the 3rd row - 3 ac outlets and a 110V outlet - Small turning radius of 38.7 feet - BIG 245/60/18 tires - Auto dimming rearview mirror - Easy Driver Speak to amplify driver's voice to the rear passengers - 3 zones a/c system and controllable by 2nd row passengers - Fog lights - Power driver seat - Daytime running lights - Rear glass on the tailgate opens - 1 push window down for BOTH driver and passenger - Power tailgate - Push button start - sunshades in the 2nd row - garage homelink - heated side mirrors - heated seats (I live where it's hot so I don't really care about this) - windshield wiper deicer (I live where it's hot so I don't really care about this - 19mpg City, 25mpg Highway - 24 months free Toyota maintenance like oil changes and tire rotations. - Toyota has the highest resale value - Toyota reliability CONS: - Tailights are not LED. - White LED light in front is only in higher models like LIMITED. CONCLUSION: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."

Has everything I need, and nothing I don't

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Nice leather; functional, intuitive media, VALUE!"

Cons: "no anchor for rear-facing child seat in 2nd row"

"I was really having a tough time sorting through the countless crossovers out there. I was vacillating between the Ford Explorer, the Nissan Pathfinder and the Infinity QX60. Once the 2014 edition Highlander came on the market, we went for a test-drive and we were sold. It has many improvements over the 2013 model. My favorite is the XLE edition, which allows one to have leather seating without having to add all the extra superfluousness of the "limited platinum." You will get amazing value on the XLE. The suspension is really smooth over speed bumps and while doing 80 on the freeway. They did a great job on soundproofing - you'll need to look at the speedometer to realize how fast you're going. The turn radius is pretty tight, especially for such a large car. Braking is outstanding - it is evenly distributed and the distance is short. The low-end torque is decent, once you realize how heavy the car is and that it gets fairly good MPGs, even around town. If you have two young ones, or are about to, I would highly recommend the highlander. They will appreciate the standard second row sun shades and the tri-zone climate control. You even have a "speak-easy" function where you can talk to them through their speakers without having to turn around."

Huge improvement!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

"Traded in our 2012 Highlander SE for the 2014 Limited. To say the least the improvements Toyota made on then Highlander are extraordinary! Better inside and out and sooo much quieter ride and smooth handling. We got the Limited over the XLE because we wanted the heated/cooled seats and the JBL stereo system. XLE is probably the best value but we love the one we got. Check out the new silver color too, it's not like the plain silver on other Toyota models, it's called silver sky and has a light blue tint to it that nicely sets off the chrome and black trims. Highly recommend so far!"

Great choice for our Family

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable reliable with adequate adds"

Cons: "Wind Noise ,Plastic parts, monitor glare"

Nice Ride

"We owned this vehicle since Jan 2014, it has all what we need, with few things that we believe needs revision and improvement. I will start with the Pros: High comfortable ride, well engagement with the road, great addition of navi and big informative touch screen in addition to the Blind spot monitoring system, it is enough to haul my family and most of the kids toys specially for long trips, basically we drive it with confidence. cons: The Navigation screen has glare during midday driving her in California and I have to provide cover from the sunlight to see the information displayed on the screen, plastic parts inside are not stable and easily detachable with minimum contact specially rail covers in the back seat, there is wind noise and air felt with speed >50 mph, the mirrors are huge and kind of blocking the visibility when turning specially to the left. Finally for the MSRP that Toyota demands I believe the quality should be superior to what has been provided."

Nice Ride

Best vehicle purchase

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Luxury ride feel, power, interior quality."

Cons: "I can't think of any cons, it's a great vehicle"

First 600 miles completed, Blizzard Pearl, V6 LE Plus AWD

"Traded my 2012 CRV due lack of power, but didn't realize how much of a ride quality I was also missing. I average over 600 miles a week, so safety and security is a must. Driving has never felt so at ease and comfortable in the Highlander.I feel much more in control and confident driving in bad weather. The 6th vehicle I've purchased, and by far the best vehicle purchase to date."

First 600 miles completed, Blizzard Pearl, V6 LE Plus AWD

Best vehicle for us

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Great transmission, comfortable seats, roomy"

Cons: "manual passenger seat"

"We especially like the new 6 speed transmission. It allows use of cruise control, even on hills without revving up the engine as much as earlier models. The seats are more comfortable than earlier models. Gas mileage is similar to earlier models, ie 22-25 MPG on the interstate. It also provides the solid quiet ride we expect from a Highlander. We miss the power passenger seat on our XLE model. We liked the LE model but needed 8 passenger capacity not available on the LE model. We replaced a 2008 Highlander with over 200,000 miles for this vehicle. We had no problems with it and expect the same quality and reliability with our new one. I'm sold on the new one."

ONE LUXURY SUV

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "new upgrades, performance, better value, ride,"

Cons: "Honda CR-V will lose"

"I'm a Loyal Toyota customer and #1 satisfaction owner who drove (2 Toyota's and went for another one decided looking at new crossover. LUV my new Highlander has better features than 4Runner was considering buying again since had a 2003 brand new without having any mechanical problems and excellent gas mileage too. The Highlander is more quieter got a really high performance ride and has Lexus interior and new looks to it. I have a 3rd row seating its comfortable and the seats folds flat down or having more room. Navigation is better and the devices behind are a plus on earning overall best value ever. Has effortless handling I got heated seats, rearview camera, Bluetooth, xenon headlamps and lots of space for used to be a small crossover with the luxury price to it but now has changed so much on the 2014 model I have bought for the money. I think it looks better from other Toyota SUVs as Venza, RAV4 and 4 Runner its bit luxury and has a greater ride than ever. Have good quality storage spaces whenever needed for more and probably got a greater towing capacity too as is haven't tried yet on hooking a trailer or boat yet. There isn't no shortcomings can think on Highlander a great SUV worth a better price on upgrade style and better interior features."

Drives like a dream

By on Saturday, July 19, 2014

Pros: "great price for the value, quite & comfortable"

"SO I test drove almost all the SUV's in the market before deciding on the Toyota Highlander Platinum edition 4WD. It is hands down among the best driving SUVs out there. It is quite and very comfortable to drive it. The Toyota Entune Infotainment system is responsive and up to date. You will love the extra shelf on the front console for your keys and your phone. A huge side storage between the driver and the front passenger seats. I have not yet used the third row seats so I can not give a feedback on those. Overall, no regrets whatsoever."