• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,576 - $27,522.

10/7.4

Based on 330 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Great Family Car

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"We love this CAR! I commute 100 miles a day, 50 each direction, so we needed a decent MPG- I get about 25 MPG. There is also enough room in the back seat for the car seat, with the back seat slid all the way to the rear, and my 6 '4" husband in the front seat, slid all the way back, and my oddly tall 3 year old isn't smashed! Would buy it again! Just wish the limited model didn't have the sun roof- it takes away about 3" head room for the tall husband..."

Great car

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

"I bought my 2012 Highlander Base last year. Really enjoyed driving it. My wife love the snow button, which gives you better handle on snowy road. The three row sitter is great future to have. Most of the time we have the third row folded down so we have much bigger cargo space. No complains at all after having it for a year and 11K miles."

Best car I Ever Owned

By on Friday, July 05, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Powerful for its size

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Pros: "Torque, reliability, sharp turning"

Cons: "Smaller space for equipment"

"I have had this SUV for over a year and love it! There is a nice Umfphh...to it when you want to get up and go, when entering the freeway or trying to get out from the path of a speeding semi. The interior is spacious. I transport music equipment on a weekly basis. Thats where I have the trouble. The car is just not wide enough like a minivan. THe third row seating is a bonus,can transport a total of 8 passengers, 6 very comfortably. Gas mileage is decent, considering its a SUV and not a sedan. My wife loves the height of the vehicle while she drives it. When this SUV falls apart, I will get the same all over again!"

Love this car

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fully loaded, dependable, environmentally friendly"

Cons: "Pricey, but worth it"

"This car allows me to comfortably seat myself, my husband, and our four kids along with one other person. There is lots of room even between the second and third row seats. The back up camera is a luxury to have. I got all the bells and whistles along with the hybrid Limited edition. I love this car. Unfortunately with a divorce pending and the fact that the family will be cut back to two sets of three (we each had two kids from previous marriages, and non together), I am looking to downsize."

Comfortable and efficient

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Due to back problems I need a car with a fairly high floorboard ... greeting in, and especially out of a lower car I'd not only painful but can bring on long term problems. The opportunity to get a fuel efficient car that suits my needs is very welcome. I've had this car for a little over two years now and still feel like I have a new car. Although I am not an aggressive driver I do know the car has excellent pickup, both from stop and at highway speeds. In the winter the car is not as agile as other AWD cars, and certainly not as good as a true 4wd, but it gets me going. If you lack the ability to begin slowly you're not going to like this car in the snow, but most will find the car to be more than adequate. The optional navigation system does a good job, but is way too expensive to keep up to date. All in all I really enjoy this car and recommend it highly."

Excellent multi purpose vehicle

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

Pros: "solid build, no squeaks or rattles yet, TOYOTA"

Cons: "OEM tires"

"Love this vehicle. Reliability has been excellent so far. Only complaint is the OEM tires, they aren't very good. This vehicle does everything I need done all while getting good mpg's."

Awesome SUV

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"I have had my Highlander now for 8 months, great highway milege, getting about 28mpg on highway. Ride alittle stiff with the struts but overall ok. I bought the Sport so I could get all the goodies the base model did not offer and the only thing I disliked alot about the Sport & limited is the confounded 19" brigestone H/L tires, NO good on the snow and only 2 tiremakers make them, I went out and bought 4 stock base rims off of Ebay and 4 New Michelins M/S LTX tires and now she rides like a dream and gets great traction. I have Michelins on my jeep and have 45000 miles on them and only 1/2 worn."

Great buy

By on Saturday, August 30, 2008

"I recently got the 2008 Highlander, and I love it. My husband is 6'3, and seats comfortably driving, in the front, or riding the backseat. The legroom in the back is amazing. We were quite surprised. We have two children, and they and their friends fit perfectly. Though, I am still not quite comfortable putting a child in the front seat, I do like the the passenger airbag is weight-activated, so I could put one of my kids up front if necessary. I also think the cargo area is perfect. It fits everything we need from our sports equipment to all of our groceries with ease. I would highly recommended this car for any type of person, any type of lifestyle."

2008 Highlander

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Traded in 07 Rav4 and love the additional room. The vehicle rides great and has plenty of power. The AWD also gives a great sense of control in the rain (no snow to test in yet). The 3rd row seat also provides enough room to make it useful for children or average size adults. The only thing overlooked in the design was the 3rd row seat. This should have been a 50/50 split like the Rav4 to provide more passenger/cargo configurations. Be sure to look at the room behind 3rd seat if you are planning on using it."

Most Bang For Your Buck

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"Currently get 20.3 MPG for the size, and comfort, it't larger than the Honda Pilot and still has a car feel, and not a van feel either. Nav system view is larger than currrent lexus."

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 20, 2010

"I have a Highlander 2008 AWD limited. This car is great. I have never had an issue with it. Always take it to the dealer for schedule maintenance. I have 45K miles so far and not a single problem at all. The original tires last 43K miles (rotations every 5K miles). I strongly recommend this car to a family or somebody who wants to enjoy a really reliable car."

By on Thursday, March 05, 2009

"Best value for your mpg buck. The amount of space this vehicle has is absolutely amazing. I still dont know how they are getting 27mpg in the city when I have tried for the last 2 gas tanks and can only get to 25.5mpg. Other than that it a great vehicle."

LOVE IT!

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Recently purchased a 2008 Highlander LTD (Silver/Ash) with most of the goodies (Nav, power hatch, moonroof, heated seats) and couldn't be happier! What a smooth and quiet ride! Very comfortable, adjustable driver's seat, fairly good quality leather, user-friendly navigation system w/ several good safety features, comfortably seats 7 adults of average size. Good mileage so far. With the current market and lack of sellers, we got a fantastic deal as well!"

Keeping this car for my 8 yr old!!!!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage is avg."

"That's right I'm going to keep this car for a long time. I own a 2012 limited and have had no issues with this car. My only regret is with the aftermarket hitch the dealer installed. It doesn't look as clean as the factory hitch install and now the paint is beginning to chip and rust. This past winter was the first test for my Highlander. The AWD system was amazing. It got me through 6-8 inches of unplowed snow in residential streets. I never felt so confident behind the wheel. I'm planning on buying another car this spring for my wife, and another Highlander is not outnof the question."

2002 Highlander - Fantastic Transportation

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Met my needs"

Cons: "should have purchased heated seats"

"A very sad day - was notified today that my 2002 Toyota Highlander will not be repaired and was totaled as a result of an inattentive person hitting me at 30 mph. I had planned on driving this vehicle for many more years as it only had 90,000 miles on it. It still drove like the day I purchased it - regular maintenance is all it took to keep it in tip top shape. Am starting the hunt to replace it with a 2013 Highlander. Did I say I was extremely satistied with it!"

Just Incredible!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Standar Equipment, Gas saver and space."

Cons: "nothing!!!!"

"This is my first Toyota and I have to admit... Is just Incredible... The options you get and the standar equipment are great!!! The driving experience is great, so smooth and quiet and the confort is a plus,considering that is a 4 cylinder the power is good and the MPG is great for this segment of SUV's."

Love It!!!

By on Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Pros: "very roomy"

At the dealership

"I traded in my 08 4-runner on my Highlander, I held out for all the options I wanted and I'm glad I did, I love it. Since buying mine two of my neighbors have bought one, after looking at all the features mine has.My son is 6'2" and fits in the back seat fine, great leg room."

At the dealership

The most reliable vehicle one could own.

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Responsive, powerful, great in the snow, reliabile"

Cons: "Should have more bells for the price."

"I owned a 2004 Highlander and thougt it was the best vehicle I had owned; then traded it in for a 2009 Highlander only to find that the 2009 was even better. Both vehicles are totally reliable as I never had any problems with either one. The 2009; however, is much better with respect to comfort and power. Highlanders are unstoppable in the snow. It has gotton out of some jaw-droppers without assistance. One neighbor said, "You are not getting out this morning; they have not plowed the neighborhood yet. The snow is up to the bumper. My wife drove it out without any problems." My neighbor just stood there with his mouth open, as the front bumper was plowing snow."

the most comfortable and deSUV I have ever owned

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "the value is great !"

Cons: "Third row seat small, good for children"

"I have owned this SUV for four years , It is very roomy comfortable and dependable. I would definitely buy another toyota"

i have a highlander

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "great suv, great in snow, comfortable."

Cons: "third row back seat"

"i have the 2010 highlander now, i had the 08 which was the same model...i love it, great in the snow, plenty of room for many things too do, grocery shopping, beach, etc... the only down side to it is if you have more than 3 kids or 5 people you will be driving, there is the 3rd row, but it leaves you about 7 inches of room in the back (no stroller) bags etc... and also, it is very hard to climb in and out of... the 2011 has the 40/60 seat, so you can use one seat and still have a side for other... but again, you still have the issue of climbing in the back, which is no easy task. for a family of 4, i give it a 10! more than that... it is a pain... but love it other than that, great power, love the controls, has rear heat/ac etc...:)"

Love this car.

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Easy to drive."

Cons: "Too big to manuever at times."

"This is a wonderful car to have in the winter in Illinois. No worry if it snows, you can drive right through and it handles great. It's also easy to haul around lots of grandkids. WIsh it had a split back seat to give us more room for storage in the back."

Great vehicle

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Gas. Mileage not as good as I had hoped for a hybr"

"I have had my highlander for 4 years and have never had a mechanical or technical problem with it. My only issue is that I had hoped forgetter gas mileage for a hybrid."

Nicest car I've ever owned in 40 yrs of driving!

By on Monday, October 10, 2011

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, roomy, great pick up."

"Safe because of the AWD, great clearance for snow. Reliable and comfortable. I'd buy one again."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Have a 2009 base model with the 4 cylinder. A great car. The only problem I have had is it needed to be realigned after I hit a large pothole. I am averaging 25 miles per gallon. Traded in a Ford Edge. The Highlander is much better. The Edge had problems and used a lot of gas. Plus, it had rattles in the interior. I also have a 2010 Honda Pilot. Another good vehicle, but it uses much more gas. However, the Pilot drives better."

See if you qualify for