• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2013 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $26,616 - $27,551.

10/7.4

Based on 333 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

More than Expected!

By on Thursday, May 01, 2008

"I've had my 08 Limited Highlander for about a month now, and still have absolutely no complaints! (well, actually, one it's black, but with the deal I got it being a limited, I had to take it). I drove the domestic wanna-be of the Highlander first before I drove this, and it was nice, but then I got in the Highlander and never looked anywhere else. I do a lot of research before purchasing a vehicle and this was on my list. My mom has an 06 Hybrid Ltd Highlander, and she loves hers. This one is a bit bigger, thankfully, than hers, as I have three children still in carseats. I traded my van (which people think I'm crazy) for this and I couldn't be happier. The back seat is fine and have no problems with the kids getting in and out. They have plenty of space and so do average size adults. As always, Toyota goes above the rest in their seating..always comfortable. This Highlander drives like a dream...smooth as silk. I am averaging about 22-24 mpg, and I drive both city and highway. I don't get into it, although it does when I want it to, and I think that's good for the amount of HP it has. I cannot think of one bad thing with this vehicle. I paid a hefty price for it, but having owned both foreign and domestic vehicles, it is well worth the price. I would highly recommend this to anyone, both large familes and not--this is a luxury vehicle without the high price tag!"

Best SUV out there. No one can touch it

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "Great price,ride fist nd finish"

Cons: "Chep headliner."

"I own the 2011 limited, but tet drove all the top 5 before I bought the one. The cx-9 felt cramped and closed in, and very sluggish. The pilot was nice but to big and to many different trim levels made it a pain. Ford edge was the best American SUV, but the 20 inch tires would cost my 2k to replace. The GM option have horriblie reliability. Exterior- great body lines. No gaps in the fit. The paint ( blizzard pearl) is first rate. Two things. The black runner on the bottom was a smart move, no road rash on the bottom. Second, roof is easy to clean as th car does not sit that high off the ground. Interior - seats are great, very comfortable. I'm a big guy. 6 foot 300 lbs. lots of room. Leather is ok, not impressed with the quality as my wifes after market leather is softer. The dash is laid out logically. Radio controls are ok. The knob to change the stations s to far over for the driver to reach. The Bluetooth is ok, I have an iPhone and it does not import your contacts. Also the connection drops every time you upgrade the phone software. My biggest gripe is the quality of the dash and headliner. Cheap! Is how I sum it up. No soft touch anywhere. A little surprised for a car that can cost 40 k. The headliner is from a 1980 American car. The plastic in the car can scratch easily so don't be surprised by this. Engine- buddy of mine is a NASCAR engineer, says this I the best v6 and transmission on the maker, bulletproof. Same engine nd tranny as in the lexus 350 rx. Need I say more? Smooth, quick and quite. I have actually walked away and left the car on because it is so quite. She you it he gas it ties off but des so like a BMW. The engine does not over rev. Great job. Same friend has the 3.5 v6 and has over 70 k on it. Not one issue. Gret highway cruiser and quite. The reason for the louder ride is the eom tires are toyos and they are garbage. Put yokohama on mine jut recently and could not be a quiter ride. Handles great....for an SUV. Remember it is an SUV, not a sedan. Handes bumps well. Very tight no rattles. One advantage to plastic dash, very rattle free. I get about 19 city 25 highway( avg speed 73 mph) Overll it is a great bride"

Excellent Value

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "Room, Performance, Visibility"

Cons: "Plasticy door panels, not cheap"

"I don't regret a minute of owning this car. It is excellent on road trips. Handles my three tall kids, and my 6' 3' frame. The visibility is great with the huge side mirrors and the back-up camera it's a breeze to park. Though rated at 24 highway I have achieved 26 on more than one trip. The only knock I have is the excessive use of cheap looking plastics in the interior. I chose the SE with leather and Nav in 2WD. It is very light and quick. My wife has the Limited 4WD which is much heavier and more plush feeling. She liked mine so much she bought one of her own. You can spend more money but it's hard to get a better value. We compared it to the Pilot but found it too cramped for our family. The MDX was too small and too complicated to operate. The RX350 wasn't better, just more expensive. I'd recommend this car to anybody, especially if you're tall and have a heavy right foot."

Very good car

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"A very good vehicle. build quality is excellent. Have had many high line cars, this is the best. Compared to a Honda Pilot, the vehicle is much quieter, better ride and very smooth. Looks much better than the Honda (It's only competitor). It should be in a higher class of vehicle such as the MDX or Lexus RX. Makes the BMW X series look bad for what they charge. Have had no problems at all and it has 20k miles. Performed great in very bad snow conditions in Tahoe and did it with 22MPG! I'm done with the MB and BMW myth and am now enjoying a car that is actually WORTH the money."

Outstanding Crossover!

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Absolute comfort, roomy, gas saver and exclusive!"

Cons: "Good luck finding one!"

"I've owned many cars, makes and models. This is the very first hybrid and I'm impressed so far. I've owned the car for a few days and the more I drive it, the more I think its the best crossover on the market. I have a 2013 Hybrid Limited and after driving other crossovers, the Highlander is by far a better value and perfect fit for my family. I test drove the M class, X-5 and Toureg but each of those were $9K-$22K higher comparably equipped. If you include the difference in gas mileage over the years, those figures jump even higher. I received good resale value for my last Toyota after nine years so I'm expecting the same for the Highlander. The interior is very comfortable and spacious. The hidden third row seating is a great thing to have when we need it. Toyota's EnTune is easy and synced each of my family's own playlist. The exterior is classy with lots of chrome trim but no over the top. I expect my maintenance costs to be affordable compared to the two German cars I own and drive. We have nice weather, no snow therefore can't speak about adverse weather conditions. Overall extremely satisfied. I've traveled 250 CITY miles thus far and have not used half the tank yet. Good job Toyota!!"

Just Want to Drive It

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "ride, quality, engine, transmission, interior"

"Although I have only had this vehicle for 300 miles I have to say it makes you want to get in the car, hit cruise and drive. I did quite a bit of research before leasing this vehicle and ended up with the SE model. reasoning was for leather, heated seats, auto lift gate, daytime lights and some other comfort non-necessity items. Exterior-Well there isn't that much going on with the style, but I do like how Toyota has included a few chrome highlights and changed up the headlights. I feel it's not too flashy and not too boring. The interior is similar to the exterior being that it is just plain nice, simple, good quality materials, easy to use features, and nice amount of room. Cargo does suffer with third row, but not a major issue. I don't see myself hauling six people for a distance when I need that amount of space. Too early to tell about gas mileage. The display says 19.9 since it first rolled onto pavement. The 6 cul. engine and transmission is my favorite. It is silky smooth with no hiccups. Handling is very good for a mid-size SUV, if I wanted a sports car that's what I would have purchased. It is based off of the same frame as the Camry and Lexus so it has a softer ride than a truck. I have read that the stock tires are poor. No complaints yet. Overall, this is a nice car. The upgrades are worth it. You only live once and you work too hard not to reward yourself. The extra little a month is worth the comfort. Test drive one and you'll be hooked. I was."

Comfrtable, quick and reliable.

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

"This is a great car. Not much to complain about after 90,000+ miles. The 3rd row seat is small. I never use it now because my smallest kids are now too big to fit. But if you do have small children, they should fit without a problem. It's kind of expensive vehicle, but it does many, many things well. It's smooth, comfortable, it's easy to drive, surprisingly quick with the V6, the gas mileage isn't too bad at 21 mpg average, and it's 100% problem free for me. It also tows our small jet ski trailer pretty well for weekend trips to the lake. It's a perfect family fun vehicle."

Reliable, powerful, safe, comfortable, gr8 4 fam

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "awesome braking/handling on snow/ice"

Cons: "Navi sys limited access while in motion, fuel econ"

"Only 3 Negatives: 1) Navi system is not worth the extra $, updates are on expensive DVD and come out every other year; 2) No bluetooth music streaming 3) when using the 3d row seat, you have almost no trunk space Postives: - V6 is powerful, but gets 19 MPH in city/23 fwy; - Limited model has it all: 5K-lb tow package, headrest DVD (great for kids; faux wood, fuel computer; his/hers/back seat climate control; seat heaters both front seats; 2d row: 2 captains chairs or insert a middle seat wedge and it turns into a bench seat for 3; fold-flat 3d row seat; - Handleing: computer controlled braking and handling sytems is amazing...prevented accident on at least 2 occasions; - Reliable...it's a Toyota...of course if runs great; - Maintenance covered under "Toyota Care" 2 years of scheduled maintenance included; - 3-row seat is convenient for when the kids have friends, (but you loose almost all your trunk space in that config); - Comfortable ride; drove it cross country with family...roomy, fast, you can drive it all day long and not hurt; - AWD option...handles great in inclement weather (rain, snow, ice, gravel, offroad (costs you 1 additional MPH over the FWD version. However, if you need it, it's invaluable; Value: If you can afford the 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD and the negatives I mentioned are not a "deal breaker", then I highly recommend this car...we love ours!"

I have owned...

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

"...four BMWs, two Porsches, five upscale Suburbans, and three Lincolns, among others --- this is the best car I've ever owned!"

25% Better Gas Mileage on 1st Day

By on Monday, April 14, 2008

"I drove the vehicle 150 miles and had 25% better gas mileage on the first day of ownership. Only wish Toyota could have put in memory position for 2 separate drivers. Other than that, I am very impressed with the braking ability and acceleration. The car is very quiet and comfortable to drive."

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"We traded in our 05 Nissan Altima, for this vechicle. We were looking between the Honda Pilot and The Highlander. I really like to fact that it still feels like you are driving a car, the most comfortable vehicle I have driven. Handles the rain very well, haven't been able to try in the snow yet. The third row really isn't bad either, very spacious, the hatch is easy to lift and close even being 5'4". Easy to put children in to car. I would definetly recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking."

Good gas mileage and reliable

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "tech package, flexible seating, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not the most exciting to drive"

"We have had our 2012 highlander for about a year and are very happy with it. We got the 4 cylinder model for mileage and for the flat Louisiana roads we drive 95% of the time. So far, the 4 cylinder has been great. We are averaging over 25 mpg in mostly highway driving and it makes only a few hp less than our 2005 Ford Freestyle. It did struggle a bit on a trip to the mountains of Arkansas,so I would probably get the 6 cylinder if I lived in a mountainous area or towed with it. We love the tech package with the bluetooth and rear view camera. Also love the flexible seating that can seat people our lay flat to carry our large dogs. So far,has been a typical reliable Toyota vehicle. Toyota Care which includes your scheduled maintenance has been a bonus. If you are in the market for a SUV, do yourself a favor and look at the highlander."

Awesome SUV...Love it!

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable, handles great"

Cons: "Price tag"

"I drive about 40,000 miles a year. Recent vehichles have been 08 Nissan Murano, 05 Toyota 4Runner, 10 Ford Taurus and they dont touch the Highlander. I have the limited version and the seat is very comfortable which is whats important spending alot of time in the car driving. It handles great, the nav system is very accurate. Folding down 3rd row is convienent and easy to use. The adjustable mid row works great with a car full of kids. Gas mileage on the highway is 24mpg. I absolutly love this car! Would highly recommend it. The price of the car is not cheap but Toyotas hold their value! Recommended this car to my sister and she bought one."

Black/Black Sport Model

By on Saturday, October 06, 2007

"Traded 05 Black Highlander AWD Limited for 08 Black Sport FWD. The FWD gets better mpg than the AWD which really is only helpful in the smow and is a mileage waster at other times. I put about 22-25K/miles/year. I looked at both the Limited and Sport models. The Sport offers the best price/value and has most of the Limited exterior features such as foglights and 19' rims. It is tough to find a FWD Limited in Chicago; Found a couple of FWD Sport models. The JBL audio is not as good as the one in my 05 and the Sport ride is at times on the firm side. The larger size also took getting used to; however the overall comfort and reliability are great. Bodyside moldings should be standard instead of dealer accessory. Compass should also be opt. on Sport- I had to order one as a dealer installed accessory-still waiting. Without the power rear door the tailgate is really heavy; I am 6'2" and I cannot imagine my wife trying to close it by herself! The new electric rack and pinion power steering feels much different than hydraulic power steering! Cannot go wrong by buying this Toyota- decent resale and top notch reliability."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, fast, powerful, looks, quiet, economical"

Cons: "price of the navagation package"

Camping trip with 2 adults and 4 young adults. Plenty of room for everyone!

"I am surprised daily by this vehicle. The comfort is amazing. It's a big vehicle but it drives like a sports car. Traveling for a living I'm amazed that I can be on the road for 7 hours straight and step out feeling refreshed. There isn't a thing I encounter while on the road that worries me. Blinding down pour? Snow? Horrible traffic? Surrounded by semi trucks? Big winds? It just doesn't matter. This vehicle can handle it without any extra effort. There are days when I have this SUV loaded to the max and a carrier on top to boot, and I still get 20mpg while driving 75 mph. I added a tow package to this SUV and couldn't believe how easy it was. Toyota already had all the bolt holes in place as well as the knockout plugs and connections for installing the electric package. The job wasn't just easy... it was EASY! Seriously this is the absolute best vehicle I've ever owned in 30+ years of driving. Toyota you did it right!"

Camping trip with 2 adults and 4 young adults. Plenty of room for everyone!

This is a great SUV

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, very confortable, and classy looking"

Cons: "Cargo area decreases greatly with 3rd row."

"I have the Sport version and my wife and I love this car. It has 3rd row seat wich is easy to open and it is very easy to get back there. The car rides very quietly and it is easy to maneuver. We have the back up camera and that is a must when parking since it's dificult to see what is close behind through the rearview mirror. In the summer with summer gas, I average around 24-25 MPG which is the best in it's class and you can put 87 octane which was the deal breaker when we looked at SUV's. This car is excelent in the snow, never had any issues and the 4WD (which is really AWD) works perfect. It has a lot of safety features and a snow button that controls the input when you touch the acceletator and it prevrents the car from slipping. Great when there is snow on the road. I took the car on a small off road excursion and it's not the best on real off road situations. But you will never find youself intetionally doing that on this car. This is a great car! We love it and plan on keeping it for a long time."

Dependable, solid, ease of operation and control.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable, convenient"

Cons: "My dealer cost was excessive!"

"Highlander is the way to go. In 2008 I bought an 06, 4 cyl, made trips between LA, MN, WI, & SC. with fantastic mileage and comfort,- not one problem. Gave it to our "snow country" daughter in 2011 and she is still happy with it in 2013. We leased a new 2011 Highlander until March 2013 when I purchased my own with a V6. I like the comfort and easy control of the vehicle when I am behind the wheel. The wife loves the comfortable seats and smooth, quiet ride on long trips. We find it easy for back seat entrance and exit when hauling Grandkids or older church ladies. The space and convenience of the 2nd and 3rd row fold down seats is important to us. And we are most appreciative of the ease of the fold up and down effort. The cargo space is more than adequate. I have only 2 "downers" on the 2013. (1)The 2011 model had a rear view mirror with direction indicator (N, S, NE, etc.) in the corner, which the dealer wants $275.00 to replace in my '13. And (2) the '11 model had a 3-disc CD player. My "new" '13 has a plain mirror and a single disc player. Notable, is the 15-20 mpg normal and 25-30 on the highway. This fact alone has us "casually" observing other vehicles."

Best vehicle for the buck

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Faster than I thought,Good mileage and great cargo.Have everything I need"

"Have this car for 3 years already and don't have any complaints as far as how it drives and material quality.It's a must have car for a family...awesome machine to drive!"

Dependable but dumb wheels

By on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"I have an 08 Sport awd. I drive about 40k per year so it already has 123k on it. Other than fluid changes and new tires (I will get to the wheels) The only thing I have done is get new break pads at 85,000 miles! They said I could have gone another 10k on the pads. The thing is still solid as a rock with no squeeks or rattles. The only problem is the dumb 19 in wheels you get with the Sport package. There are only 2 tires that will fit them. Bridgestone highway tires and Blizzaks. Both cost about a grand a set. No other Mfrs make a tire for these wheels! I call that dumb."

EXCELLENT MULTIPURPOSE VEHICLE

By on Friday, February 27, 2009

"I have owned Chevy Tahoes, Trailblazers, and a Toyota Sequioa in the past. This vehicle provides good cargo carrying capacity, as well as towing capability. I wouldn't recommend towing a heavy trailer or a large boat but it is very effective with small to medium load trailers. Excellent comfort with plenty of head and leg room in front and second rows. Smooth, quiet motor with excellent transmission provides for nice handling characteristics. Only complaints would be disappointing gas mileage and exceedingly poor tire performance in snow and tread wear. I replaced badly-worn Toyo tires at 22,000 miles. I now have Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Drove in 6inch snow yesterday, tires were awesome."

Great Car- Looked at them all

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Lots of car and dependability for the money."

Cons: "Would love to have seen the new 2014 design."

"We looked for over 8 months at each and every SUV and rented a 2012 for a 20 hour (round trip) visit to family. Even driving in an incredible rainstorm, the Highlander performed expertly. I was impressed with its sure-footed traction in torrential rain when others had stopped. I had narrowed the choice to the Explorer and the Highlander. We finally decided on the Highlander. While I'm not so fond of the stodgy design (the Explorer has a nicer design stance), the space, ease of use and features made this a final choice. My wife will use this as her business vehicle as well as our travel car. The third row seat is nice for the grand kids, who think it is cool to be in the back. The stereo is great, the nav system and Bluetooth work great and are easy to set-up. Gas mileage thus far is above the average for both city and highway. The Blizzard Pearl paint is beautiful and our Toyota dealer's service impeccable. I recommend the Limited version for all the options it contains."

I was surprised!

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "It' got it all!"

"We had been driving Lexus SUV's until we needed a vehicle that could carry our 4 grandkids, all too young to sit in the front seat. Lexus wanted over $80,000 for their 8 passenger GX. While dealing with them, we stumbled across the 8 passenger Highlander Limited. This car had almost everything on board as the higher priced competition at nearly half the price. Sure, I miss the automatic wipers and memory seats, but that's about it. Would we do it again? You betcha!"

My Favorite of three vehicles.

By on Monday, November 10, 2008

"We have a Cam=ry and Prius as well. This is the second Highlander. Both Hybrids. First was an 06. For a loaded SUV with AWD this jewel gets 25 & 26 in town consistently. Contray to what is reported it gets equal or better mileage on the Highway. A recent 3,000 mile round trip in snow, ice and mountains it obtained 26 & 27. Always comfortable and felt safe and secure. Quality wise not the first hic cup. My only complaint is that Toyota thinks these vehicles are worth gold and particular the Hybrids, There has been little room for negotiation. Currently buying an additonal one but not a Hybrid because you can negotiate prices on the non hybrid."

Love it!

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"My wife traded in her 07 Camry on the 08 Highlander Sport, has everything but leather and nav system. Even the knobs on the stereo and air conditioner are just big enough for easy reach while you are driving. If you don't mind spending the extra money get the sport package, it comes with a lot more than the base model for only two or three thousand more. With the sport the rear glass hatch opens with a button on the back or there is one on the wireless key pad. My wife says the backup camera only gives you a distorted view and is kind or decieving for what is next to you, and she says she is still gettig used to it though, but it is great to see if anybody is behind you or them short concrete poles that are in some parking lots. We also have the step bars which are not neccessary being it's not high enough for them, and she is only 5 foot tall, it makes it kind of difficult getting out of for her."

Hey it's a Toyota

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "Power, Mileage, Comfort"

Cons: "Third row seat tight, and Price."

"Bought this vehicle new in 2011. at 40,000 miles I had to put new tires, and a new vehicle battery on it. No problems with it whatsoever. mileage varies dependent mainly on headwind ect. but overall I get 25 mph. I live in a small town so about the time it gets warmed up I am there. Alot of power in this vehicle. No problems with snow ect. But deep snow I have heard that the vehicle has a hard time getting going because of the no slip tire system. I mean the tires will not spin. Deep snow like 12" but I had no problem. Pricey vehicle but we accepted that for the comfort and room plus towing capability. and of course3 4X4. The third row seat is really tight in the back but good for kids."