2012 Toyota Highlander

Based on 384 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Good gas mileage and reliable

By on Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pros: "tech package, flexible seating, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not the most exciting to drive"

"We have had our 2012 highlander for about a year and are very happy with it. We got the 4 cylinder model for mileage and for the flat Louisiana roads we drive 95% of the time. So far, the 4 cylinder has been great. We are averaging over 25 mpg in mostly highway driving and it makes only a few hp less than our 2005 Ford Freestyle. It did struggle a bit on a trip to the mountains of Arkansas,so I would probably get the 6 cylinder if I lived in a mountainous area or towed with it. We love the tech package with the bluetooth and rear view camera. Also love the flexible seating that can seat people our lay flat to carry our large dogs. So far,has been a typical reliable Toyota vehicle. Toyota Care which includes your scheduled maintenance has been a bonus. If you are in the market for a SUV, do yourself a favor and look at the highlander."

25% Better Gas Mileage on 1st Day

By on Monday, April 14, 2008

"I drove the vehicle 150 miles and had 25% better gas mileage on the first day of ownership. Only wish Toyota could have put in memory position for 2 separate drivers. Other than that, I am very impressed with the braking ability and acceleration. The car is very quiet and comfortable to drive."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, fast, powerful, looks, quiet, economical"

Cons: "price of the navagation package"

Camping trip with 2 adults and 4 young adults. Plenty of room for everyone!

"I am surprised daily by this vehicle. The comfort is amazing. It's a big vehicle but it drives like a sports car. Traveling for a living I'm amazed that I can be on the road for 7 hours straight and step out feeling refreshed. There isn't a thing I encounter while on the road that worries me. Blinding down pour? Snow? Horrible traffic? Surrounded by semi trucks? Big winds? It just doesn't matter. This vehicle can handle it without any extra effort. There are days when I have this SUV loaded to the max and a carrier on top to boot, and I still get 20mpg while driving 75 mph. I added a tow package to this SUV and couldn't believe how easy it was. Toyota already had all the bolt holes in place as well as the knockout plugs and connections for installing the electric package. The job wasn't just easy... it was EASY! Seriously this is the absolute best vehicle I've ever owned in 30+ years of driving. Toyota you did it right!"

Camping trip with 2 adults and 4 young adults. Plenty of room for everyone!

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"We traded in our 05 Nissan Altima, for this vechicle. We were looking between the Honda Pilot and The Highlander. I really like to fact that it still feels like you are driving a car, the most comfortable vehicle I have driven. Handles the rain very well, haven't been able to try in the snow yet. The third row really isn't bad either, very spacious, the hatch is easy to lift and close even being 5'4". Easy to put children in to car. I would definetly recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking."

Black/Black Sport Model

By on Saturday, October 6, 2007

"Traded 05 Black Highlander AWD Limited for 08 Black Sport FWD. The FWD gets better mpg than the AWD which really is only helpful in the smow and is a mileage waster at other times. I put about 22-25K/miles/year. I looked at both the Limited and Sport models. The Sport offers the best price/value and has most of the Limited exterior features such as foglights and 19' rims. It is tough to find a FWD Limited in Chicago; Found a couple of FWD Sport models. The JBL audio is not as good as the one in my 05 and the Sport ride is at times on the firm side. The larger size also took getting used to; however the overall comfort and reliability are great. Bodyside moldings should be standard instead of dealer accessory. Compass should also be opt. on Sport- I had to order one as a dealer installed accessory-still waiting. Without the power rear door the tailgate is really heavy; I am 6'2" and I cannot imagine my wife trying to close it by herself! The new electric rack and pinion power steering feels much different than hydraulic power steering! Cannot go wrong by buying this Toyota- decent resale and top notch reliability."

This is a great SUV

By on Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pros: "Great MPG, very confortable, and classy looking"

Cons: "Cargo area decreases greatly with 3rd row."

"I have the Sport version and my wife and I love this car. It has 3rd row seat wich is easy to open and it is very easy to get back there. The car rides very quietly and it is easy to maneuver. We have the back up camera and that is a must when parking since it's dificult to see what is close behind through the rearview mirror. In the summer with summer gas, I average around 24-25 MPG which is the best in it's class and you can put 87 octane which was the deal breaker when we looked at SUV's. This car is excelent in the snow, never had any issues and the 4WD (which is really AWD) works perfect. It has a lot of safety features and a snow button that controls the input when you touch the acceletator and it prevrents the car from slipping. Great when there is snow on the road. I took the car on a small off road excursion and it's not the best on real off road situations. But you will never find youself intetionally doing that on this car. This is a great car! We love it and plan on keeping it for a long time."

Dependable, solid, ease of operation and control.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable, convenient"

Cons: "My dealer cost was excessive!"

"Highlander is the way to go. In 2008 I bought an 06, 4 cyl, made trips between LA, MN, WI, & SC. with fantastic mileage and comfort,- not one problem. Gave it to our "snow country" daughter in 2011 and she is still happy with it in 2013. We leased a new 2011 Highlander until March 2013 when I purchased my own with a V6. I like the comfort and easy control of the vehicle when I am behind the wheel. The wife loves the comfortable seats and smooth, quiet ride on long trips. We find it easy for back seat entrance and exit when hauling Grandkids or older church ladies. The space and convenience of the 2nd and 3rd row fold down seats is important to us. And we are most appreciative of the ease of the fold up and down effort. The cargo space is more than adequate. I have only 2 "downers" on the 2013. (1)The 2011 model had a rear view mirror with direction indicator (N, S, NE, etc.) in the corner, which the dealer wants $275.00 to replace in my '13. And (2) the '11 model had a 3-disc CD player. My "new" '13 has a plain mirror and a single disc player. Notable, is the 15-20 mpg normal and 25-30 on the highway. This fact alone has us "casually" observing other vehicles."

Best vehicle for the buck

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Faster than I thought,Good mileage and great cargo.Have everything I need"

"Have this car for 3 years already and don't have any complaints as far as how it drives and material quality.It's a must have car for a family...awesome machine to drive!"

Dependable but dumb wheels

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"I have an 08 Sport awd. I drive about 40k per year so it already has 123k on it. Other than fluid changes and new tires (I will get to the wheels) The only thing I have done is get new break pads at 85,000 miles! They said I could have gone another 10k on the pads. The thing is still solid as a rock with no squeeks or rattles. The only problem is the dumb 19 in wheels you get with the Sport package. There are only 2 tires that will fit them. Bridgestone highway tires and Blizzaks. Both cost about a grand a set. No other Mfrs make a tire for these wheels! I call that dumb."

EXCELLENT MULTIPURPOSE VEHICLE

By on Friday, February 27, 2009

"I have owned Chevy Tahoes, Trailblazers, and a Toyota Sequioa in the past. This vehicle provides good cargo carrying capacity, as well as towing capability. I wouldn't recommend towing a heavy trailer or a large boat but it is very effective with small to medium load trailers. Excellent comfort with plenty of head and leg room in front and second rows. Smooth, quiet motor with excellent transmission provides for nice handling characteristics. Only complaints would be disappointing gas mileage and exceedingly poor tire performance in snow and tread wear. I replaced badly-worn Toyo tires at 22,000 miles. I now have Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Drove in 6inch snow yesterday, tires were awesome."

Great Car- Looked at them all

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "Lots of car and dependability for the money."

Cons: "Would love to have seen the new 2014 design."

"We looked for over 8 months at each and every SUV and rented a 2012 for a 20 hour (round trip) visit to family. Even driving in an incredible rainstorm, the Highlander performed expertly. I was impressed with its sure-footed traction in torrential rain when others had stopped. I had narrowed the choice to the Explorer and the Highlander. We finally decided on the Highlander. While I'm not so fond of the stodgy design (the Explorer has a nicer design stance), the space, ease of use and features made this a final choice. My wife will use this as her business vehicle as well as our travel car. The third row seat is nice for the grand kids, who think it is cool to be in the back. The stereo is great, the nav system and Bluetooth work great and are easy to set-up. Gas mileage thus far is above the average for both city and highway. The Blizzard Pearl paint is beautiful and our Toyota dealer's service impeccable. I recommend the Limited version for all the options it contains."

I was surprised!

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pros: "It' got it all!"

"We had been driving Lexus SUV's until we needed a vehicle that could carry our 4 grandkids, all too young to sit in the front seat. Lexus wanted over $80,000 for their 8 passenger GX. While dealing with them, we stumbled across the 8 passenger Highlander Limited. This car had almost everything on board as the higher priced competition at nearly half the price. Sure, I miss the automatic wipers and memory seats, but that's about it. Would we do it again? You betcha!"

My Favorite of three vehicles.

By on Monday, November 10, 2008

"We have a Cam=ry and Prius as well. This is the second Highlander. Both Hybrids. First was an 06. For a loaded SUV with AWD this jewel gets 25 & 26 in town consistently. Contray to what is reported it gets equal or better mileage on the Highway. A recent 3,000 mile round trip in snow, ice and mountains it obtained 26 & 27. Always comfortable and felt safe and secure. Quality wise not the first hic cup. My only complaint is that Toyota thinks these vehicles are worth gold and particular the Hybrids, There has been little room for negotiation. Currently buying an additonal one but not a Hybrid because you can negotiate prices on the non hybrid."

Love it!

By on Thursday, December 6, 2007

"My wife traded in her 07 Camry on the 08 Highlander Sport, has everything but leather and nav system. Even the knobs on the stereo and air conditioner are just big enough for easy reach while you are driving. If you don't mind spending the extra money get the sport package, it comes with a lot more than the base model for only two or three thousand more. With the sport the rear glass hatch opens with a button on the back or there is one on the wireless key pad. My wife says the backup camera only gives you a distorted view and is kind or decieving for what is next to you, and she says she is still gettig used to it though, but it is great to see if anybody is behind you or them short concrete poles that are in some parking lots. We also have the step bars which are not neccessary being it's not high enough for them, and she is only 5 foot tall, it makes it kind of difficult getting out of for her."

2nd highlander. Love it

By on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, 4 cup holders."

"Looking to trade in for newer model. Love it. 2nd highlander. Bought 1 st one new. 2nd one used and going now for 3rd used!"

Best car I Ever Owned

By on Friday, July 5, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Hey it's a Toyota

By on Monday, October 15, 2012

Pros: "Power, Mileage, Comfort"

Cons: "Third row seat tight, and Price."

"Bought this vehicle new in 2011. at 40,000 miles I had to put new tires, and a new vehicle battery on it. No problems with it whatsoever. mileage varies dependent mainly on headwind ect. but overall I get 25 mph. I live in a small town so about the time it gets warmed up I am there. Alot of power in this vehicle. No problems with snow ect. But deep snow I have heard that the vehicle has a hard time getting going because of the no slip tire system. I mean the tires will not spin. Deep snow like 12" but I had no problem. Pricey vehicle but we accepted that for the comfort and room plus towing capability. and of course3 4X4. The third row seat is really tight in the back but good for kids."

Great Family Car

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"We love this CAR! I commute 100 miles a day, 50 each direction, so we needed a decent MPG- I get about 25 MPG. There is also enough room in the back seat for the car seat, with the back seat slid all the way to the rear, and my 6 '4" husband in the front seat, slid all the way back, and my oddly tall 3 year old isn't smashed! Would buy it again! Just wish the limited model didn't have the sun roof- it takes away about 3" head room for the tall husband..."

Awesome dependability-8 years running

By on Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Pros: "VERY Cost effective in the long haul! hang on 2 it"

Cons: "manual hatch is hard for me to pull down- im short"

"I am very very pleased with my choice to pick the 2008 Highlander over other SUV's. I was worried due to a risk of recalls (accelerator issues, air bag issues around that year-) My pick came down to dependability and ride. I picked the worst road in my area and drove all similar SUV's--Highlander had the BEST ride for me - independent suspension I was told. The Ford escape was tempting but the ride was SOOO bumpy and stiff compared to mine! NOT comfortable at all for me - and my dad sells Ford cars but it must be comfortable, and my dad understand. Seats are much better than all I tried (- I'm overweight- short legs- and had back surgery 1992 and arthritis and I'm over 60 years old) My son thinks the brakes are "touchy" and grab too fast, I said thats GOOD! I told him learn to brake correctly :-). I keep checking the KBB, so I wont get ripped off on a claim, today's value is about $16,700 for my 50,000 low millage- city driving for average 275 on a 17 gallon tank... you do the math...car is in very good condition,paint holds up great, so figure I will drive another 8 years, then buy another! Only repairs were: battery (twice, and tires once - original tires by Toyota are the soft teaser-type to make you think the ride is softer but I replaced with good Michelin tires and they ride was just as good! Also one serpentine belt and one water pump ( but I think the auto place ripped me off because it wasn't running hot just bearing squeal and needed the belt adjusted I think but whatever, one headlight bulb! I want to keep it forever! Great to evacuate our frequent hurricanes in!!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"I bought my 2012 Highlander Base last year. Really enjoyed driving it. My wife love the snow button, which gives you better handle on snowy road. The three row sitter is great future to have. Most of the time we have the third row folded down so we have much bigger cargo space. No complains at all after having it for a year and 11K miles."

Powerful for its size

By on Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pros: "Torque, reliability, sharp turning"

Cons: "Smaller space for equipment"

"I have had this SUV for over a year and love it! There is a nice Umfphh...to it when you want to get up and go, when entering the freeway or trying to get out from the path of a speeding semi. The interior is spacious. I transport music equipment on a weekly basis. Thats where I have the trouble. The car is just not wide enough like a minivan. THe third row seating is a bonus,can transport a total of 8 passengers, 6 very comfortably. Gas mileage is decent, considering its a SUV and not a sedan. My wife loves the height of the vehicle while she drives it. When this SUV falls apart, I will get the same all over again!"

Love this car

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fully loaded, dependable, environmentally friendly"

Cons: "Pricey, but worth it"

"This car allows me to comfortably seat myself, my husband, and our four kids along with one other person. There is lots of room even between the second and third row seats. The back up camera is a luxury to have. I got all the bells and whistles along with the hybrid Limited edition. I love this car. Unfortunately with a divorce pending and the fact that the family will be cut back to two sets of three (we each had two kids from previous marriages, and non together), I am looking to downsize."

Comfortable and efficient

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

"Due to back problems I need a car with a fairly high floorboard ... greeting in, and especially out of a lower car I'd not only painful but can bring on long term problems. The opportunity to get a fuel efficient car that suits my needs is very welcome. I've had this car for a little over two years now and still feel like I have a new car. Although I am not an aggressive driver I do know the car has excellent pickup, both from stop and at highway speeds. In the winter the car is not as agile as other AWD cars, and certainly not as good as a true 4wd, but it gets me going. If you lack the ability to begin slowly you're not going to like this car in the snow, but most will find the car to be more than adequate. The optional navigation system does a good job, but is way too expensive to keep up to date. All in all I really enjoy this car and recommend it highly."

Excellent multi purpose vehicle

By on Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pros: "solid build, no squeaks or rattles yet, TOYOTA"

Cons: "OEM tires"

"Love this vehicle. Reliability has been excellent so far. Only complaint is the OEM tires, they aren't very good. This vehicle does everything I need done all while getting good mpg's."

Awesome SUV

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"I have had my Highlander now for 8 months, great highway milege, getting about 28mpg on highway. Ride alittle stiff with the struts but overall ok. I bought the Sport so I could get all the goodies the base model did not offer and the only thing I disliked alot about the Sport & limited is the confounded 19" brigestone H/L tires, NO good on the snow and only 2 tiremakers make them, I went out and bought 4 stock base rims off of Ebay and 4 New Michelins M/S LTX tires and now she rides like a dream and gets great traction. I have Michelins on my jeep and have 45000 miles on them and only 1/2 worn."