2012 Toyota Highlander

Based on 361 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Good car compared to other SUVs - Holds it's value

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "Air brake, smooth ride, large cargo area"

Cons: "Mold spores blown out of AC vents - cause illness"

"I bought this car in February or March of 2013. Traded in my 2008 Highlander. The dealer didn't have what I wanted, so they shopped until they found an (almost) exact match for me and had it brought in. It had a sunroof, which I didn't want, but everything else was perfect. It is silver with gray leather interior. I have lower back problems so getting in and out of a vehicle can be a problem for me. This Highlander fits me perfectly. I am 5'6" so am able to sit into the seat comfortably, and the under-the-knees support which can be adjusted to anyone's comfort level is so nice. There are some cars that I feel like I'm sliding out of the seat because there is no support under my knees. It rides very smoothly. We travel to NM a few times a year and we LOVE the air brake on this car. All we have to do is take the foot off the accelerator and the car will slow itself depending on the rate of descent and the curve of the road. It is great because it saves wear and tear on brakes. We took our 3 granddaughters on a 2000 mile road trip a few years ago, two teenagers and one pre-teen, plus our mini-weiner dog, and there was room for everyone and everything. We had added a rack on top, so some of the cargo went up there. It was a great trip, and we heard very few complaints. Our Highlander did great traveling from S. Texas into Canada. The only complaint I have with Highlanders is that the air conditioner smells moldy from time to time. I found an article a few years ago about a lady who had taken her Highlander in many times due to the mold and her children being sick all the time. Every time, the dealership told her the AC vents needed cleaning. When she finally had the manager of the dealership drive it over the week end, she got his attention. He had the car taken apart. What he found was (as I understand it) water from the AC drain had dripped onto the insulation between the firewall and the engine. It was moldy. Somehow the air coming into the cabin was drawing that mold into the vents. For some reason, this problem isn't reported on all of Toyota's products, but the reports do run the gamut of all of their lines, including the Lexus. My 2008 did not have the mold problem. Regrettably, as much as I love this Highlander, I will never buy another Toyota because of the dangerous level of mold spores in the Toyota vehicles. I have warned everyone I know about this. My friends and my granddaughter wanted to buy Toyotas. I talked them out of it. How unfortunate. I am surprised that there has been no class action lawsuit brought. Toyota is still producing automobiles with this problem, and until they re-engineer their cars, or until a huge settlement is made, there will be no change."

Outatanding SUV. Probably my last new car

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

Pros: "Great reliability, all the goodies,plenty of room,"

Cons: "Poor OEM tires, wish it had memory seats."

"Searched all over to find a replacement for my 2007 Caddilac SRX (don't like the new style). The highlander won out over the Pilot in several areas. Bought the LTD model and for some reason Toyota deleted the compass when you have nav. But for $200, you can have the standard mirror replaced with a factory mirror with the compass. It's not a Caddilac, but it comes pretty close with the LTD package. Handles extremely well in rain/snow and has the best traction of any car I've had-even with those crummy OEM tires. I'm now 70, bet I'll never have to buy another vehicle for myself. Almost positive it will out live me. Never had a problem nor has anybody I know had anything major with their Toyotas."

Comfortable for 6'6" driver, poor gas mileage

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

"Overall, I am pleased w/2008 Highlander. Has been extremely reliable, no major repairs in 8 years. On the downside, the tires wear out very quickly. Gas mileage is mediocre. Handling is a little "clunky" or truck-like. Headlights could be more effective. Audio system/speakers should be improved. But, when I keep a car for 8-plus years, it usually means that I am pleased with the vehicle."

Very good and reliable vehicle

By on Monday, April 06, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive gets 27 mph highway and 19 city"

Cons: "Has very large blind spots on both rear sides"

"I purchased vehicle new in 2012. I purchased because of the reputation for good mileage and low maintenance costs. It came with a good 30,000 mile two free service which was nice since I do a lot of driving. I have only had to replace the tires and have had no major failures or breakdowns. I have just turned 50,000 miles and its still running good. It handles well at 70 to 80 MPH only glitch is that since it is front wheel drive it will tend to crawl to the left or right when you are stopped and then punch the accelerator. I guess this is typical of front wheel drives. Riuns good in snow and wet weather."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, huge trunk area"

Cons: "No Compass; doesn't store seat settings"

"Excellent ride and hauls heavy items without affecting drive quality."