• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2011 Toyota Highlander

Based on 330 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

My first Toyoto and the best and most SOLID .

By on Saturday, March 22, 2014

Pros: "Like I mentioned above best ever."

Cons: "I have to think about this,"

"I bought my first car in 1956 a morris minor, had many cars but this car is the best I EVER OWNED."

I love this SUV. It is comfortable , reliable and

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

"I can't think of anything negative."

Great car , excellent fuel mileage, fun to drive,

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "climate controlm fuel mileage, agile, fun to drive"

Cons: "seats a little too firm for me."

"great car, fun to drive, good fuel mileage, comfortable, great for fun with our grandkids, typical Toyota, no problems, ever."

Terrible Gas Mileage

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "Great car overall. Nice interior and options"

Cons: "terrible gas mileage"

"I like everything about this car except for the terrible gas mileage that I get. It is supposed to get around 16 mpg but I average 12. I even drive very carefully to ensure that I am not wasting gas, but it doesn't make much of a difference. It is very disappointing. In addition, when I use the AWD, the mileage is even worse. On the highway, the best that I got was 22.5 mpg."

Best vehicle ever

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "worth every dime beautiful luxureous car"

Cons: "base model doesnt come with power seats."

"This is the best vehicle I have ever had the honor of driving this vehicle. Dealerships are begging me to trade it, and I refuse. I haven't had any problems with this suv. The only thing I can say is that I had to change air cabinet filters, brake pads and turn rotors. I just recently bought brand new tires! Had not been changed out since the first day in 1999. Pretty impressive. Im have a situation that wont allow me to repurchase it because I cant afford what I owe on it. I tried to surrender but they much rather get the money due to the depreciation. Hopefully I will be able to pay them off and get the titles on it. Or my next option is to trade it in allow the dealership to buy what I owe on it, not the interest, and put me in an affordable vehicle and walk away without the hassel of owing anyone, nor being sued."

Awesome in the snow!!

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, extra seating whn I need it."

"Best Suv ever. Great in the snow. I have over 100,000 miles and I still feel like it drives just the same as when I purchased it with 30k. Great styling. I would most likely purchase another one in another 100,000 miles. Only thing is I wish I had purchased this car with the 19 inch wheels and more options, I will with the next one for sure!"

Love this car, it is safe, reliable, and great!

By on Thursday, February 06, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable and reliable"

Cons: "More cup holders than you need"

"I have recommended to a lot of carpooling moms like myself and they are all happy too with it. It gets better gas mileage than I thought and is safe and reliable. Plus it is so comfortable for the many long drives we have to take."

Excellent Auto

By on Monday, February 03, 2014

Pros: "Gets great gas mileage for a 270 HP Eng."

Cons: "It has a little road noise."

"This is my second one. I am a traveling salesman and I put approx 30k miles yr on my cars. I will most likely buy another one when its time."

Nice riding, good quality SUV.

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "ground clearance, accessible, quick response"

Cons: "meager open storage in front."

"This is a nice riding, good quality SUV. One criticism I have is there are too many drink holders in the front passenger area. Instead, there should be more open storage space for miscellaneous items. There are up to 6 compartments for small cups or glasses! Two is plenty. More storage place would be available if the shift lever were on the dash instead of taking up half the room in the console between the two front seats. Also, I would prefer two glove compartments instead of the one massive one provided. Difficult to use."

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Friday, January 17, 2014

Pros: "Great mpg for a large SUV. 20-25 mpg"

Cons: "Tires are expensive and don't last long."

"Very roomy with room for seven. Plenty of power. 139000 miles on it and still runs like new. I've only had to do regular maintenance on it."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, fast, powerful, looks, quiet, economical"

Cons: "price of the navagation package"

Camping trip with 2 adults and 4 young adults. Plenty of room for everyone!

"I am surprised daily by this vehicle. The comfort is amazing. It's a big vehicle but it drives like a sports car. Traveling for a living I'm amazed that I can be on the road for 7 hours straight and step out feeling refreshed. There isn't a thing I encounter while on the road that worries me. Blinding down pour? Snow? Horrible traffic? Surrounded by semi trucks? Big winds? It just doesn't matter. This vehicle can handle it without any extra effort. There are days when I have this SUV loaded to the max and a carrier on top to boot, and I still get 20mpg while driving 75 mph. I added a tow package to this SUV and couldn't believe how easy it was. Toyota already had all the bolt holes in place as well as the knockout plugs and connections for installing the electric package. The job wasn't just easy... it was EASY! Seriously this is the absolute best vehicle I've ever owned in 30+ years of driving. Toyota you did it right!"

Camping trip with 2 adults and 4 young adults. Plenty of room for everyone!

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Fuel economy, safety features, style."

Cons: "3rd row seating should have been an option."

"Bought new and haven't had any real problems at all. Quality has been excellent. Great ride, impressive fuel economy with a v6 engine. Spacious front and rear seating, although, 3rd row is very small and useless to me. (My only complaint about the car)"

Purchased 2008 Highland sport new... great vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "No issues with this vehicle."

"This has to be my second best buy vehicle. Purchased new and after 110,000 miles the only maintenance has been 1 new set of tires, 2 brakes jobs front and back. The only other vehicle I have owned that didn't need a ton of "fix and repair maintenance" was a 2004 Lexus ES. Put 120000 miles on the Lexus with nothing but general maintenance. Not sure how Toyota is building the newer cars, but the 2008 Highlander was definitely a good buy. Still runs great and handles well. The four wheel drive is awesome in snow! The primary reason I gave up the Lexus was for this 4 wheel drive SUV."

Second Row seating with buckets

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "I drives good - looks good."

Cons: "Functionability lacking in several interior areas."

"is very inconvenient - like bench seat better. Trying to get into the 3rd row is very difficult. 2nd row seat only lays flat, does not lift any to allow access to 3rd row. Small amount of storage, etc. in front seats. Navi is hard to negotiate - even after reading instructions. Mat for back when 3rd row seat is down very bulky and must be completely removed if using 3rd row. NO storage in rear as small storage in floor holds cover for back storage when not in use. Salesman told me car had parking sensors until I signed papers, then said he didn't tell me that. I really wanted sensors. I was "attacked" by 3 or 4 people at dealership and overall experience was a bummer. Doesn't help me like this vehicle at all. I'm sick about the deal - been a year now - time to get rid of and move to another tried and true vehicle. I guess it's perfect for some folks, just not me."

Would buy again.

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, SUV without being too big."

Cons: "Updates to navigation system a nusiance."

"5 yr. anniv. of car. Not one issue to date. Keyless ignition has pros and cons. Mostly car idles so quietly you need to be conscious that it is still running. The ride is good but not as soft as one may like on rougher roads."

Dependable, solid, ease of operation and control.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable, convenient"

Cons: "My dealer cost was excessive!"

"Highlander is the way to go. In 2008 I bought an 06, 4 cyl, made trips between LA, MN, WI, & SC. with fantastic mileage and comfort,- not one problem. Gave it to our "snow country" daughter in 2011 and she is still happy with it in 2013. We leased a new 2011 Highlander until March 2013 when I purchased my own with a V6. I like the comfort and easy control of the vehicle when I am behind the wheel. The wife loves the comfortable seats and smooth, quiet ride on long trips. We find it easy for back seat entrance and exit when hauling Grandkids or older church ladies. The space and convenience of the 2nd and 3rd row fold down seats is important to us. And we are most appreciative of the ease of the fold up and down effort. The cargo space is more than adequate. I have only 2 "downers" on the 2013. (1)The 2011 model had a rear view mirror with direction indicator (N, S, NE, etc.) in the corner, which the dealer wants $275.00 to replace in my '13. And (2) the '11 model had a 3-disc CD player. My "new" '13 has a plain mirror and a single disc player. Notable, is the 15-20 mpg normal and 25-30 on the highway. This fact alone has us "casually" observing other vehicles."

Safety is questioned

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Nothing"

Cons: "Too much electronic garbage that does not work"

"We were excited to get our 2012 Highlander brand new. Now, a little more than a year later, we can not wait to get rid of it. After 2 months the power steering started acting up and just stops working briefly then starts up again. Toyota has had issues with this and states there is not fix and that is the way it is designed. This is not safe and Toyota is in denial about this very serious flaw. After 6 months, the power assist on the brakes failed and "Brake Failure" appeared on the dash.. talk about scary when your kids are in the car. Again, Toyota was not able to repair the issue. At first we thought we had a lemon, but when researching the issue, these are common problems with all Toyota models, just google. Toyota is not the same company it once was and is using electronic garbage on their vehicles. I will not buy another Toyota again!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

"I bought my 2012 Highlander Base last year. Really enjoyed driving it. My wife love the snow button, which gives you better handle on snowy road. The three row sitter is great future to have. Most of the time we have the third row folded down so we have much bigger cargo space. No complains at all after having it for a year and 11K miles."

Our first hybrid. Our last non-hybrid.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Gas savings, quiet, comfortable, reliable"

Cons: "How to update maps on navigation system??"

"Hybrid vehicles always intrigued me. Now that I have owned this one for a year, I know that I will never buy a non-hybrid vehicle again. Changing from driving a regular gasoline engine to a hybrid takes zero time to get used to. The vehicle behaves the exact same to a driver as a "normal" vehicle. When you are stopped at a stoplight or stop sign or traffic jam, your engine is off and you burn zero gasoline, but all your stuff stays on (radio, air conditioner, heater, etc.). Gas mileage is BETTER than claimed on the window sticker. Over the past year, we have consistently gotten about 29 mpg in the CITY, and less (let's say around 25) on the highway. Seems weird, I know, but it is mainly because in the city you are always regenerating your kinetic energy back into battery energy that is used when starting (going from 0-10 mph). On the highway you basically only burn gasoline, and wind resistance is very high at high speeds, hence the difference. The continuously variable transmission on this vehicle is very good and smooth. The interior is great, and the instrument panel is intuitive, well laid out, and voice recognition on the navigation is very good. If you are on the fence as to whether to get the hybrid, I definitely recommend you spend the extra and get the hybrid. When my wife drives this she does not burn gas when: sitting in the kids' school carpool line, drivethrough restaurant lines, in the church parking lot traffic jam when church lets out, etc. etc. And this is coming from someone who lives in Houston and works for a big gasoline refining company. Save your money and save the environment, and get a hybrid."

Retained its newness over the three year lease.

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "fulfilled our needs for an SUV"

Cons: "3rd row seats are difficult to enter."

"We leased the vehicle and liked it enough to buy a new one. We built up equity in our vehicle over the three year term of the lease. Surprise!"

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Rides great and very smooth, quiet. Lot's of room."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better."

"This is an all around great vehicle. The workmanship and quality are excellent. It rides great and gets decent gas mileage for it's size. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat."

Keeping this car for my 8 yr old!!!!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage is avg."

"That's right I'm going to keep this car for a long time. I own a 2012 limited and have had no issues with this car. My only regret is with the aftermarket hitch the dealer installed. It doesn't look as clean as the factory hitch install and now the paint is beginning to chip and rust. This past winter was the first test for my Highlander. The AWD system was amazing. It got me through 6-8 inches of unplowed snow in residential streets. I never felt so confident behind the wheel. I'm planning on buying another car this spring for my wife, and another Highlander is not outnof the question."

2002 Highlander - Fantastic Transportation

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Met my needs"

Cons: "should have purchased heated seats"

"A very sad day - was notified today that my 2002 Toyota Highlander will not be repaired and was totaled as a result of an inattentive person hitting me at 30 mph. I had planned on driving this vehicle for many more years as it only had 90,000 miles on it. It still drove like the day I purchased it - regular maintenance is all it took to keep it in tip top shape. Am starting the hunt to replace it with a 2013 Highlander. Did I say I was extremely satistied with it!"

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "2nd highlander owned - comfortable and dependable"

"Would highly recommend. I had 165,000 trouble free miles on my last Highlander when sold."

Owned for 5 yrs no problems, very comfortable

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable and sure footed in bad weather"

Cons: "no 2nd row charging, mileage not as advertised"

"Have been happy with this vehicle, very roomy and comfortable. Has been reliable for first 100,000 and reasonable maintenance cost. Had a problem with rear hubs 2nd year into it, but fixed and has been fine. Mileage is more 27 highway and 24 city, I do a lot of city driving and do 65 to 75 on highway. very sure footed snow and rain, love the engine breaking feature for steep downhill in snow and ice."

See if you qualify for