2010 Toyota Highlander

Based on 361 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Good car compared to other SUVs - Holds it's value

By on Saturday, April 25, 2015

Pros: "Air brake, smooth ride, large cargo area"

Cons: "Mold spores blown out of AC vents - cause illness"

"I bought this car in February or March of 2013. Traded in my 2008 Highlander. The dealer didn't have what I wanted, so they shopped until they found an (almost) exact match for me and had it brought in. It had a sunroof, which I didn't want, but everything else was perfect. It is silver with gray leather interior. I have lower back problems so getting in and out of a vehicle can be a problem for me. This Highlander fits me perfectly. I am 5'6" so am able to sit into the seat comfortably, and the under-the-knees support which can be adjusted to anyone's comfort level is so nice. There are some cars that I feel like I'm sliding out of the seat because there is no support under my knees. It rides very smoothly. We travel to NM a few times a year and we LOVE the air brake on this car. All we have to do is take the foot off the accelerator and the car will slow itself depending on the rate of descent and the curve of the road. It is great because it saves wear and tear on brakes. We took our 3 granddaughters on a 2000 mile road trip a few years ago, two teenagers and one pre-teen, plus our mini-weiner dog, and there was room for everyone and everything. We had added a rack on top, so some of the cargo went up there. It was a great trip, and we heard very few complaints. Our Highlander did great traveling from S. Texas into Canada. The only complaint I have with Highlanders is that the air conditioner smells moldy from time to time. I found an article a few years ago about a lady who had taken her Highlander in many times due to the mold and her children being sick all the time. Every time, the dealership told her the AC vents needed cleaning. When she finally had the manager of the dealership drive it over the week end, she got his attention. He had the car taken apart. What he found was (as I understand it) water from the AC drain had dripped onto the insulation between the firewall and the engine. It was moldy. Somehow the air coming into the cabin was drawing that mold into the vents. For some reason, this problem isn't reported on all of Toyota's products, but the reports do run the gamut of all of their lines, including the Lexus. My 2008 did not have the mold problem. Regrettably, as much as I love this Highlander, I will never buy another Toyota because of the dangerous level of mold spores in the Toyota vehicles. I have warned everyone I know about this. My friends and my granddaughter wanted to buy Toyotas. I talked them out of it. How unfortunate. I am surprised that there has been no class action lawsuit brought. Toyota is still producing automobiles with this problem, and until they re-engineer their cars, or until a huge settlement is made, there will be no change."

Outatanding SUV. Probably my last new car

By on Monday, April 13, 2015

Pros: "Great reliability, all the goodies,plenty of room,"

Cons: "Poor OEM tires, wish it had memory seats."

"Searched all over to find a replacement for my 2007 Caddilac SRX (don't like the new style). The highlander won out over the Pilot in several areas. Bought the LTD model and for some reason Toyota deleted the compass when you have nav. But for $200, you can have the standard mirror replaced with a factory mirror with the compass. It's not a Caddilac, but it comes pretty close with the LTD package. Handles extremely well in rain/snow and has the best traction of any car I've had-even with those crummy OEM tires. I'm now 70, bet I'll never have to buy another vehicle for myself. Almost positive it will out live me. Never had a problem nor has anybody I know had anything major with their Toyotas."

Comfortable for 6'6" driver, poor gas mileage

By on Saturday, April 11, 2015

"Overall, I am pleased w/2008 Highlander. Has been extremely reliable, no major repairs in 8 years. On the downside, the tires wear out very quickly. Gas mileage is mediocre. Handling is a little "clunky" or truck-like. Headlights could be more effective. Audio system/speakers should be improved. But, when I keep a car for 8-plus years, it usually means that I am pleased with the vehicle."

Very good and reliable vehicle

By on Monday, April 06, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive gets 27 mph highway and 19 city"

Cons: "Has very large blind spots on both rear sides"

"I purchased vehicle new in 2012. I purchased because of the reputation for good mileage and low maintenance costs. It came with a good 30,000 mile two free service which was nice since I do a lot of driving. I have only had to replace the tires and have had no major failures or breakdowns. I have just turned 50,000 miles and its still running good. It handles well at 70 to 80 MPH only glitch is that since it is front wheel drive it will tend to crawl to the left or right when you are stopped and then punch the accelerator. I guess this is typical of front wheel drives. Riuns good in snow and wet weather."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, huge trunk area"

Cons: "No Compass; doesn't store seat settings"

"Excellent ride and hauls heavy items without affecting drive quality."

Solid pluses, definite minuses

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

"The same things that attracted me initially are what I continue to like about this 2013 4WD SE: Toyota reliability and "brand," powerful and very refined V6 (this engine is quiet and QUICK, best in class,) effective cold weather package and winter handling, compliant Camry-based ride, drive characteristics are great (in fact, the critics claim that it drifts too much in hwy driving is not accurate, it does fine in that regard--just my experience.) For a "heavy" 4wd veichle, this car is nimble and impressively quick for passing and getting out of trouble. Again, very strong engine is probably the car's best asset. Also, all the options work just as advertised. HOWEVER: interior fit and finish was subpar on this car, turns out 2013 was not good for Toyota overall in this regard. Too much cheap plastic up front. and so not surprisingly, several ANNOYING rattles quickly developed in the dash area (been in for it, fixed one big one but the others elude a solution.) Also an equally annoying wind noise rattle from somewhere in the rear at hwy speeds. No excuse for this in a $36,000 car. I HATE RATTLES!! Also, the leather seats always did look kind of cheap (definitely not "plush") and have not "broken in" as comfortable enough for extended driving, and the armrests and console are thinly padded and not placed well enough for either me or my wife. New car, and my wife has to use a cushion to compensate for the lack of seat comfort! If I had to, I could live with this car given its obvious strong points, but two years into a three-year lease, I'm looking to get out of it if I can without losing my shirt."

Great looking ride

By on Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pros: "Great acceleration,cool look,good gas"

Cons: "no hands free phone hook up"

"I've owned my Highlander for a little over 2 years now, I purchased her with 18,000 miles and she is now at 35,075. Very minor flaws and minor flaws they are. Great condition, dark window tint and aggressive/cool tire tread."

2nd highlander. Love it

By on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, 4 cup holders."

"Looking to trade in for newer model. Love it. 2nd highlander. Bought 1 st one new. 2nd one used and going now for 3rd used!"

Solid SUV

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"Great people mover (although the third row is not great for an adult for any ride over 30 mins but is doable), powerful acceleration, good handling, pretty good in snow, super reliable and interior is made of high quality material that lasts. The vehicle is a nice split between a full size SUV and a mid-sized cross-over. Cons gas mileage stinks, Less than 15 mpg is common for around town and don't expect much over (in any) 20 on the highway. The cars Bluetooth is complicated to work and set up and the hands-free voice dialing is a joke. All in all, well worth it if your looking for a vehicle like this, Toyota reliability and resale value trump the few cons on this vehicle."

Great SUV!

By on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pros: "Great vehicle and very spunky!"

Cons: "Tire monitor mildly aggravating."

"I have had this vehicle 14 months now and it has been quiet a pleasure driving it. The power of the 3.5L v-6 is more than adequate and the mileage is better than advertised. I average 20-21 mixed street/highway and 24/27 on the highway if I keep my foot out of the fuel injection. (Used to be carburetor). I have the plus model which is equipped just right for me. The seat is very comfortable with good adjustments. The instrument panel has good visibility and adjustments are easy to make. Bluetooth is a very handy way to use the phone. The only irritant I have is the tire pressure monitoring system. Not terrible, just annoying. Overall, I am very pleased with this vehicle. It replaced a pick-up truck that I dearly loved but being an amputee of the left leg, getting in and out was becoming a problem. I definitely chose the correct replacement. A bit of excitement is back in my driving experience. I would get another highlander."

more than i expected

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "toyota quality and reliability, excellent in snow"

"I have owned several Toyota models over the years and have never been disappointed in any way. This Highlander is no exception. The ride is smooth. The reliability is just what you'd expect from a Toyota. What really impressed me about this model was it's handling in the snow. I currently also own a Landcruiser so my expectations are quite high when it comes to bad weather driving. No, it's not on par with the Landcruiser but it does quite well for what it is. No complaints. Awesome alternative to the minivan (traded in our 99 sienna with almost 200k (trouble free) miles on it for this)."

Outstanding gas mileage

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage"

Cons: "No cons"

"No problems with it, drives great, and has amazing gas milage"

Nice Suv

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

"would buy and recommend to friends"

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pros: "Quality through out"

Cons: "Trouble keeping windshield smear free."

"Previously drove a 4 Runner. The Highlander keeps some of the features of the 4 Runner, but adds some luxuries."

Went west, drove over 6,000 miles, average 26mpg

By on Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pros: "It is easy to drive and very comfortable"

"highway. It 4 wheel drive, very comfortable, handles good on rough off road driving. Handles grades of 12% very good."

Great family Vehicle (SE V6 Loaded)

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

Pros: "Good MPG, great family SUV, Value holds up"

Cons: "Driving dynamics, cheap interior plastics, Tires"

"Great SUV so far with better MPG than expected. 19-21 in city and 23-25 MPG highway. Pretty good considering a strong V6 AWD. 3rd row seats are great for small kids. Second row seating is huge with a lot of space. Handling is only subpar and definitely not very responsive, but its not supposed to be either. Interior plastics are cheap, hard and not attractive, but everything is responsive and works well. Leather seats are a must but not comfortable or supportive on long highway trips, and we certainly take a lot of them. It is a must to get rid of Toyota's standard Toyo Tires ASAP as they wear fast and are not good in the snow. We like anything Yokohama on ours. Value holds up amazingly on these vehicles which was one of our selling points. The front grill looks great but overall body definitely needed an upgrade to its looks, which it got with the 14 model year."

great SUV. I have bought new 2015 Highlander

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"good, serviceable vehicle. Just near perfect for my needs Only complaint is that fenders are easily displaced with minor dings."

Excellent Vehicle.

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Smooth running, handles excellent, a quality vehic"

"The best SUV vehicle I have ever owned. The engine, transmission, and all functions are excellent.. Have not had one problem with it."

Awesome car with a great ride

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, not bad on gas, great in snow"

Cons: "cheaper dashboard feel (rattle in dash)"

"2008 sport with Navigation. Great car. Only a few issues with the car. Replaced original tires at 27,000. Found out that this was typical due to how easy it is to knock this car out of tow. Once I new that with the new tires (Good Year Assurance) they have been great and looks like I will get 50k+ out of the second set. Rear brakes locked up at 48k miles. Replaced brakes and rotors all the way around. I have a rattle in the dash board only in cold weather. it is annoying but somehow goes away when it is over 45 degrees. The interior is holding up great (leather) and love all the extra toys in the car. Its a fun car to own and drive and will be getting another one."

good car, regularly serviced, reliable

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "very good and reliable car"

Cons: "high mileage"

"I purchased this car new. It has been serviced on schedule It is in very good condition. Excellent tires. Does not use oil. Clean."

Reliable, fuel efficient and stylish for an SUV

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "easy to drive, lots of power and roomy inside."

Cons: "expensive to fix nob on radio and tires too"

"I like everything about my Highlander. It is by far the most comfortable SUV I have ever owned. Handles extremely well in bad weather. has all the bells and whistles. Very stylish and fun to drive. lots of room and the optional third row seat comes in handy often."

Was the best SUV I ever had!

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "I love the color...Waveline blue"

Cons: "There were none that I could find after 7 years."

"Am trading this 2008 FWD 6 cyl for the new 2015 AWD. I like the new style and like to have the latest and the greatest. Just hope the new one is as good as this one has been. Still has the original battery in it. Never had an ounce of trouble and it was a soft and cushy ride as far as I am concerned. I know the new owner will love it!"

Reliable, quiet. Few luxuries,

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"A very quiet motor, comfortable, great for hauling things. The steering column is a pain because it does not tilt automatically. The wipers and cruise controls are in a location behind the steering wheel. It is sometimes difficult to see which setting you want. The rear wiper is not wide enough. The carpet is very thin and cheap. Unless they have made these changes, I would not buy this model again."

No problems, no complaints. Would buy again.

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Cons: "Model I have does not have outdoor temp display"

"This has been a solid, reliable vehicle. Over the past 20 years, I have gone through several vehicles. My Highlander is the one vehicle that I've had longer than any other. It serves all my needs and is a dream to drive a 16 hour round trip in, which we do a few times a year to visit relatives/vacation. Its comfortable, quiet and performs exceptionally well."

great car, good mileage, looks good

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "drives great, looks great, good mileage"

Cons: "?"

"It's a really good car. If I didn't want to get my wife a new one this month I'd keep it."