2009 Toyota Highlander

Based on 383 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Awesome SUV

By on Thursday, December 17, 2009

"I have had my Highlander now for 8 months, great highway milege, getting about 28mpg on highway. Ride alittle stiff with the struts but overall ok. I bought the Sport so I could get all the goodies the base model did not offer and the only thing I disliked alot about the Sport & limited is the confounded 19" brigestone H/L tires, NO good on the snow and only 2 tiremakers make them, I went out and bought 4 stock base rims off of Ebay and 4 New Michelins M/S LTX tires and now she rides like a dream and gets great traction. I have Michelins on my jeep and have 45000 miles on them and only 1/2 worn."

Great buy

By on Saturday, August 30, 2008

"I recently got the 2008 Highlander, and I love it. My husband is 6'3, and seats comfortably driving, in the front, or riding the backseat. The legroom in the back is amazing. We were quite surprised. We have two children, and they and their friends fit perfectly. Though, I am still not quite comfortable putting a child in the front seat, I do like the the passenger airbag is weight-activated, so I could put one of my kids up front if necessary. I also think the cargo area is perfect. It fits everything we need from our sports equipment to all of our groceries with ease. I would highly recommended this car for any type of person, any type of lifestyle."

2008 Highlander

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Traded in 07 Rav4 and love the additional room. The vehicle rides great and has plenty of power. The AWD also gives a great sense of control in the rain (no snow to test in yet). The 3rd row seat also provides enough room to make it useful for children or average size adults. The only thing overlooked in the design was the 3rd row seat. This should have been a 50/50 split like the Rav4 to provide more passenger/cargo configurations. Be sure to look at the room behind 3rd seat if you are planning on using it."

Most Bang For Your Buck

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"Currently get 20.3 MPG for the size, and comfort, it't larger than the Honda Pilot and still has a car feel, and not a van feel either. Nav system view is larger than currrent lexus."

Solid pluses, definite minuses

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

"The same things that attracted me initially are what I continue to like about this 2013 4WD SE: Toyota reliability and "brand," powerful and very refined V6 (this engine is quiet and QUICK, best in class,) effective cold weather package and winter handling, compliant Camry-based ride, drive characteristics are great (in fact, the critics claim that it drifts too much in hwy driving is not accurate, it does fine in that regard--just my experience.) For a "heavy" 4wd veichle, this car is nimble and impressively quick for passing and getting out of trouble. Again, very strong engine is probably the car's best asset. Also, all the options work just as advertised. HOWEVER: interior fit and finish was subpar on this car, turns out 2013 was not good for Toyota overall in this regard. Too much cheap plastic up front. and so not surprisingly, several ANNOYING rattles quickly developed in the dash area (been in for it, fixed one big one but the others elude a solution.) Also an equally annoying wind noise rattle from somewhere in the rear at hwy speeds. No excuse for this in a $36,000 car. I HATE RATTLES!! Also, the leather seats always did look kind of cheap (definitely not "plush") and have not "broken in" as comfortable enough for extended driving, and the armrests and console are thinly padded and not placed well enough for either me or my wife. New car, and my wife has to use a cushion to compensate for the lack of seat comfort! If I had to, I could live with this car given its obvious strong points, but two years into a three-year lease, I'm looking to get out of it if I can without losing my shirt."

Excellent, comfortable, reliable, great gas mileag

By on Thursday, August 7, 2014

Pros: "4wd, gas mileage, comfort, reliability"

"This is my first Highlander. I have owned several Camrys and found them all to be excellent and reliable vehicles. The Highlander is as comfortable and reliable as all of the Toyotas I have owned. The third row seat comes in very handy. The 4 wheel drive is very useful in the mountainous terrain and bad winter driving conditions of Western PA. The gas mileage is better than advertised. My Highlander averages 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. With its great gas mileage, spaciousness, and comfort it is a great vehicle to take on vacation."

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 20, 2010

"I have a Highlander 2008 AWD limited. This car is great. I have never had an issue with it. Always take it to the dealer for schedule maintenance. I have 45K miles so far and not a single problem at all. The original tires last 43K miles (rotations every 5K miles). I strongly recommend this car to a family or somebody who wants to enjoy a really reliable car."

By on Thursday, March 5, 2009

"Best value for your mpg buck. The amount of space this vehicle has is absolutely amazing. I still dont know how they are getting 27mpg in the city when I have tried for the last 2 gas tanks and can only get to 25.5mpg. Other than that it a great vehicle."

LOVE IT!

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Recently purchased a 2008 Highlander LTD (Silver/Ash) with most of the goodies (Nav, power hatch, moonroof, heated seats) and couldn't be happier! What a smooth and quiet ride! Very comfortable, adjustable driver's seat, fairly good quality leather, user-friendly navigation system w/ several good safety features, comfortably seats 7 adults of average size. Good mileage so far. With the current market and lack of sellers, we got a fantastic deal as well!"

Keeping this car for my 8 yr old!!!!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage is avg."

"That's right I'm going to keep this car for a long time. I own a 2012 limited and have had no issues with this car. My only regret is with the aftermarket hitch the dealer installed. It doesn't look as clean as the factory hitch install and now the paint is beginning to chip and rust. This past winter was the first test for my Highlander. The AWD system was amazing. It got me through 6-8 inches of unplowed snow in residential streets. I never felt so confident behind the wheel. I'm planning on buying another car this spring for my wife, and another Highlander is not outnof the question."

2002 Highlander - Fantastic Transportation

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Met my needs"

Cons: "should have purchased heated seats"

"A very sad day - was notified today that my 2002 Toyota Highlander will not be repaired and was totaled as a result of an inattentive person hitting me at 30 mph. I had planned on driving this vehicle for many more years as it only had 90,000 miles on it. It still drove like the day I purchased it - regular maintenance is all it took to keep it in tip top shape. Am starting the hunt to replace it with a 2013 Highlander. Did I say I was extremely satistied with it!"

Just Incredible!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Standar Equipment, Gas saver and space."

Cons: "nothing!!!!"

"This is my first Toyota and I have to admit... Is just Incredible... The options you get and the standar equipment are great!!! The driving experience is great, so smooth and quiet and the confort is a plus,considering that is a 4 cylinder the power is good and the MPG is great for this segment of SUV's."

Love It!!!

By on Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Pros: "very roomy"

At the dealership

"I traded in my 08 4-runner on my Highlander, I held out for all the options I wanted and I'm glad I did, I love it. Since buying mine two of my neighbors have bought one, after looking at all the features mine has.My son is 6'2" and fits in the back seat fine, great leg room."

At the dealership

The most reliable vehicle one could own.

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "Responsive, powerful, great in the snow, reliabile"

Cons: "Should have more bells for the price."

"I owned a 2004 Highlander and thougt it was the best vehicle I had owned; then traded it in for a 2009 Highlander only to find that the 2009 was even better. Both vehicles are totally reliable as I never had any problems with either one. The 2009; however, is much better with respect to comfort and power. Highlanders are unstoppable in the snow. It has gotton out of some jaw-droppers without assistance. One neighbor said, "You are not getting out this morning; they have not plowed the neighborhood yet. The snow is up to the bumper. My wife drove it out without any problems." My neighbor just stood there with his mouth open, as the front bumper was plowing snow."

the most comfortable and deSUV I have ever owned

By on Friday, November 25, 2011

Pros: "the value is great !"

Cons: "Third row seat small, good for children"

"I have owned this SUV for four years , It is very roomy comfortable and dependable. I would definitely buy another toyota"

i have a highlander

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "great suv, great in snow, comfortable."

Cons: "third row back seat"

"i have the 2010 highlander now, i had the 08 which was the same model...i love it, great in the snow, plenty of room for many things too do, grocery shopping, beach, etc... the only down side to it is if you have more than 3 kids or 5 people you will be driving, there is the 3rd row, but it leaves you about 7 inches of room in the back (no stroller) bags etc... and also, it is very hard to climb in and out of... the 2011 has the 40/60 seat, so you can use one seat and still have a side for other... but again, you still have the issue of climbing in the back, which is no easy task. for a family of 4, i give it a 10! more than that... it is a pain... but love it other than that, great power, love the controls, has rear heat/ac etc...:)"

Love this car.

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Easy to drive."

Cons: "Too big to manuever at times."

"This is a wonderful car to have in the winter in Illinois. No worry if it snows, you can drive right through and it handles great. It's also easy to haul around lots of grandkids. WIsh it had a split back seat to give us more room for storage in the back."

Great vehicle

By on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Pros: "Dependable"

Cons: "Gas. Mileage not as good as I had hoped for a hybr"

"I have had my highlander for 4 years and have never had a mechanical or technical problem with it. My only issue is that I had hoped forgetter gas mileage for a hybrid."

Nicest car I've ever owned in 40 yrs of driving!

By on Monday, October 10, 2011

Pros: "reliable, comfortable, roomy, great pick up."

"Safe because of the AWD, great clearance for snow. Reliable and comfortable. I'd buy one again."

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Have a 2009 base model with the 4 cylinder. A great car. The only problem I have had is it needed to be realigned after I hit a large pothole. I am averaging 25 miles per gallon. Traded in a Ford Edge. The Highlander is much better. The Edge had problems and used a lot of gas. Plus, it had rattles in the interior. I also have a 2010 Honda Pilot. Another good vehicle, but it uses much more gas. However, the Pilot drives better."

Love my Highlander Hybrid

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Bought a 2008 Highlander Hybrid AWD in Oct 08. I have 51,000 miles on it and absolutely love it. Went thru 13 inches of snow last year like it was butter. Gets great gas mileage (27-28 in city and 23-25 on the highway), holds six people comfortably and is roomy enough for three grandchildren."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Plenty of power for passing. Up to 30 MPG below 60 MPH. Great driving vehicle. I owned a Lexus 470 SUV and the Highlander has the same interior and drives much more like a car. It has the same amount of room inside and saves you 10K on the price.I'm 6' 3" and it has plenty of head and leg room.This is a great automobile."

Luxury Vehicle

By on Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Truth be told this is a luxury vehicle, that frankly eliminates the need for the Lexus RX. It is extremely quite, cruises very comfortably at 80 to 90 mph and in the process acheives 25 to 27 mpg on the highway which is outstanding for an almost 2 1/2 ton vehicle. I would recommend this vehicle as a commuter, family, or general passenger vehicle for anyone. The only downside some might experience is the initial cost. But in the long run it is worth it. Afterall, it is a Toyota and as such should run a long time."

Good Bang for your Buck

By on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"I have had my Highlander for almost 2 months. I previously drove a Lexus RX300 - this vehicle rides, drives and handles every bit as good as my Lexus for a fraction of the price. The only complaint that I have of my Highlander is the headrest, it feels to me like it is pushing forward on the back of my head. I have found that there is no adjustment for the headrest and it drives me crazy - other than that, I absolutely love my Highlander."

Love My Highlander

By on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"I had to get another vehicle because my last car, a Chevy Malibu, was totalled in a car accident. Safety was my priority. I got my '08 Highlander Utility 4WD used and got a great deal, so I'm not complaining about price. I love the 3rd row, but keep it down to see out of the rear window easier. My brother is 6'3 and had plenty of leg room in the second row. It's easy to place and remove a car seat from the 2nd row's bucket seats. I purchased it when the roads were icey, and Loved how it handled on icey road conditions. The "Snow" button is handy. We took it up to a ski resort with no problem. It has good mileage on the highway. Oh, after my oil change the Maintenance Req. light was still lite up. I had to take it to the dealer to be shown how to reset it. The driver's seat was more comfy than the Rav-4 for me; I'm 5'10. Love the body and color (Blue Streak Metallic) I think I made a good buy."