2009 Toyota Highlander

Based on 344 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Fuel economy, safety features, style."

Cons: "3rd row seating should have been an option."

"Bought new and haven't had any real problems at all. Quality has been excellent. Great ride, impressive fuel economy with a v6 engine. Spacious front and rear seating, although, 3rd row is very small and useless to me. (My only complaint about the car)"

Purchased 2008 Highland sport new... great vehicle

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "No issues with this vehicle."

"This has to be my second best buy vehicle. Purchased new and after 110,000 miles the only maintenance has been 1 new set of tires, 2 brakes jobs front and back. The only other vehicle I have owned that didn't need a ton of "fix and repair maintenance" was a 2004 Lexus ES. Put 120000 miles on the Lexus with nothing but general maintenance. Not sure how Toyota is building the newer cars, but the 2008 Highlander was definitely a good buy. Still runs great and handles well. The four wheel drive is awesome in snow! The primary reason I gave up the Lexus was for this 4 wheel drive SUV."

Second Row seating with buckets

By on Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Pros: "I drives good - looks good."

Cons: "Functionability lacking in several interior areas."

"is very inconvenient - like bench seat better. Trying to get into the 3rd row is very difficult. 2nd row seat only lays flat, does not lift any to allow access to 3rd row. Small amount of storage, etc. in front seats. Navi is hard to negotiate - even after reading instructions. Mat for back when 3rd row seat is down very bulky and must be completely removed if using 3rd row. NO storage in rear as small storage in floor holds cover for back storage when not in use. Salesman told me car had parking sensors until I signed papers, then said he didn't tell me that. I really wanted sensors. I was "attacked" by 3 or 4 people at dealership and overall experience was a bummer. Doesn't help me like this vehicle at all. I'm sick about the deal - been a year now - time to get rid of and move to another tried and true vehicle. I guess it's perfect for some folks, just not me."

Would buy again.

By on Saturday, November 02, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, SUV without being too big."

Cons: "Updates to navigation system a nusiance."

"5 yr. anniv. of car. Not one issue to date. Keyless ignition has pros and cons. Mostly car idles so quietly you need to be conscious that it is still running. The ride is good but not as soft as one may like on rougher roads."

Dependable, solid, ease of operation and control.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, comfortable, convenient"

Cons: "My dealer cost was excessive!"

"Highlander is the way to go. In 2008 I bought an 06, 4 cyl, made trips between LA, MN, WI, & SC. with fantastic mileage and comfort,- not one problem. Gave it to our "snow country" daughter in 2011 and she is still happy with it in 2013. We leased a new 2011 Highlander until March 2013 when I purchased my own with a V6. I like the comfort and easy control of the vehicle when I am behind the wheel. The wife loves the comfortable seats and smooth, quiet ride on long trips. We find it easy for back seat entrance and exit when hauling Grandkids or older church ladies. The space and convenience of the 2nd and 3rd row fold down seats is important to us. And we are most appreciative of the ease of the fold up and down effort. The cargo space is more than adequate. I have only 2 "downers" on the 2013. (1)The 2011 model had a rear view mirror with direction indicator (N, S, NE, etc.) in the corner, which the dealer wants $275.00 to replace in my '13. And (2) the '11 model had a 3-disc CD player. My "new" '13 has a plain mirror and a single disc player. Notable, is the 15-20 mpg normal and 25-30 on the highway. This fact alone has us "casually" observing other vehicles."

Safety is questioned

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Nothing"

Cons: "Too much electronic garbage that does not work"

"We were excited to get our 2012 Highlander brand new. Now, a little more than a year later, we can not wait to get rid of it. After 2 months the power steering started acting up and just stops working briefly then starts up again. Toyota has had issues with this and states there is not fix and that is the way it is designed. This is not safe and Toyota is in denial about this very serious flaw. After 6 months, the power assist on the brakes failed and "Brake Failure" appeared on the dash.. talk about scary when your kids are in the car. Again, Toyota was not able to repair the issue. At first we thought we had a lemon, but when researching the issue, these are common problems with all Toyota models, just google. Toyota is not the same company it once was and is using electronic garbage on their vehicles. I will not buy another Toyota again!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

"I bought my 2012 Highlander Base last year. Really enjoyed driving it. My wife love the snow button, which gives you better handle on snowy road. The three row sitter is great future to have. Most of the time we have the third row folded down so we have much bigger cargo space. No complains at all after having it for a year and 11K miles."

Our first hybrid. Our last non-hybrid.

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Gas savings, quiet, comfortable, reliable"

Cons: "How to update maps on navigation system??"

"Hybrid vehicles always intrigued me. Now that I have owned this one for a year, I know that I will never buy a non-hybrid vehicle again. Changing from driving a regular gasoline engine to a hybrid takes zero time to get used to. The vehicle behaves the exact same to a driver as a "normal" vehicle. When you are stopped at a stoplight or stop sign or traffic jam, your engine is off and you burn zero gasoline, but all your stuff stays on (radio, air conditioner, heater, etc.). Gas mileage is BETTER than claimed on the window sticker. Over the past year, we have consistently gotten about 29 mpg in the CITY, and less (let's say around 25) on the highway. Seems weird, I know, but it is mainly because in the city you are always regenerating your kinetic energy back into battery energy that is used when starting (going from 0-10 mph). On the highway you basically only burn gasoline, and wind resistance is very high at high speeds, hence the difference. The continuously variable transmission on this vehicle is very good and smooth. The interior is great, and the instrument panel is intuitive, well laid out, and voice recognition on the navigation is very good. If you are on the fence as to whether to get the hybrid, I definitely recommend you spend the extra and get the hybrid. When my wife drives this she does not burn gas when: sitting in the kids' school carpool line, drivethrough restaurant lines, in the church parking lot traffic jam when church lets out, etc. etc. And this is coming from someone who lives in Houston and works for a big gasoline refining company. Save your money and save the environment, and get a hybrid."

Retained its newness over the three year lease.

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "fulfilled our needs for an SUV"

Cons: "3rd row seats are difficult to enter."

"We leased the vehicle and liked it enough to buy a new one. We built up equity in our vehicle over the three year term of the lease. Surprise!"

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Rides great and very smooth, quiet. Lot's of room."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better."

"This is an all around great vehicle. The workmanship and quality are excellent. It rides great and gets decent gas mileage for it's size. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat."

Keeping this car for my 8 yr old!!!!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage is avg."

"That's right I'm going to keep this car for a long time. I own a 2012 limited and have had no issues with this car. My only regret is with the aftermarket hitch the dealer installed. It doesn't look as clean as the factory hitch install and now the paint is beginning to chip and rust. This past winter was the first test for my Highlander. The AWD system was amazing. It got me through 6-8 inches of unplowed snow in residential streets. I never felt so confident behind the wheel. I'm planning on buying another car this spring for my wife, and another Highlander is not outnof the question."

2002 Highlander - Fantastic Transportation

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Met my needs"

Cons: "should have purchased heated seats"

"A very sad day - was notified today that my 2002 Toyota Highlander will not be repaired and was totaled as a result of an inattentive person hitting me at 30 mph. I had planned on driving this vehicle for many more years as it only had 90,000 miles on it. It still drove like the day I purchased it - regular maintenance is all it took to keep it in tip top shape. Am starting the hunt to replace it with a 2013 Highlander. Did I say I was extremely satistied with it!"

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "2nd highlander owned - comfortable and dependable"

"Would highly recommend. I had 165,000 trouble free miles on my last Highlander when sold."

Owned for 5 yrs no problems, very comfortable

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable and sure footed in bad weather"

Cons: "no 2nd row charging, mileage not as advertised"

"Have been happy with this vehicle, very roomy and comfortable. Has been reliable for first 100,000 and reasonable maintenance cost. Had a problem with rear hubs 2nd year into it, but fixed and has been fine. Mileage is more 27 highway and 24 city, I do a lot of city driving and do 65 to 75 on highway. very sure footed snow and rain, love the engine breaking feature for steep downhill in snow and ice."

very reliable,good gas mileage,low upkeep vehicle

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "reliable,roomy,drives nice, good mileage"

Cons: "have none"

"Bought this vehicle new..have never had any problems what so ever..rides very nice,great gas mileage,just change oil, and had new tires put on.."

L O V E this vehicle!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, quiet, 4cyl has lots of power."

Cons: "Can't think of any cons."

"Have had it for three weeks now. Love everything about it. Been waiting a long time for this and glad I got it. Got the base model, 4cyl., has everything I want/need. Cloth interior is beautiful. Drives/handles like a small vehicle (meaning does not have a big bulky feel). Got a great deal from my Toyota dealer too. Everyone should be this lucky!!!"

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse which was a piece of j u n k and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse which was a piece of junk and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Best vehicle ever.

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "great handling and rich feeling"

Cons: "not a one"

"This, 2010 Limited Highlander, is my 3rd Highlander. The ride is as smooth if not smoother than most cars. It handles beautifully and is totally reliable. Highlander beats my former Ford Explorer by miles and Chevy's SUV doesn't come close. I'm planning on buying my 4th one soon."

Would not recommend!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Cons: "Mpg performance"

"I am not impressed with the fuel economy or performance, We are lucky to get 20mpg hwy and performance is poor. We donated a great car to charity (a 96 Chevy Caprice, 350 engine, 25mpg hwy and REALLY great performance) to buy this Toyota."

Good gas mileage and reliable

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "tech package, flexible seating, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not the most exciting to drive"

"We have had our 2012 highlander for about a year and are very happy with it. We got the 4 cylinder model for mileage and for the flat Louisiana roads we drive 95% of the time. So far, the 4 cylinder has been great. We are averaging over 25 mpg in mostly highway driving and it makes only a few hp less than our 2005 Ford Freestyle. It did struggle a bit on a trip to the mountains of Arkansas,so I would probably get the 6 cylinder if I lived in a mountainous area or towed with it. We love the tech package with the bluetooth and rear view camera. Also love the flexible seating that can seat people our lay flat to carry our large dogs. So far,has been a typical reliable Toyota vehicle. Toyota Care which includes your scheduled maintenance has been a bonus. If you are in the market for a SUV, do yourself a favor and look at the highlander."

Rattling and very noisy

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Space"

Cons: "14MPG.... Gas guzzler and no performace"

"I drove this car for 3000 miles now and it is giving me headache since day 2. Rattling started in the car at 600 miles. All seats makes so much cranky noise. There is so much wind leak noise too. Took to Toyota to check out and they made even worst. DONT BUY THIS RATTLING JUNK..... Plastic is VERY CHEAP inside the car. NO TOYATO anymore."

I Love my Highlander

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "comfort, reliable, and great travel car"

Cons: "not crazy about the look of the front"

"I love my Highlander so much that i'm impatiently awaiting the 2014 to see what they have come up with. I drove the new RAV 4 and really liked the changes with that, but not as comfortable and roomy and my Highlander. Would recommend this vehicle highly"

Excellent Value

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "Room, Performance, Visibility"

Cons: "Plasticy door panels, not cheap"

"I don't regret a minute of owning this car. It is excellent on road trips. Handles my three tall kids, and my 6' 3' frame. The visibility is great with the huge side mirrors and the back-up camera it's a breeze to park. Though rated at 24 highway I have achieved 26 on more than one trip. The only knock I have is the excessive use of cheap looking plastics in the interior. I chose the SE with leather and Nav in 2WD. It is very light and quick. My wife has the Limited 4WD which is much heavier and more plush feeling. She liked mine so much she bought one of her own. You can spend more money but it's hard to get a better value. We compared it to the Pilot but found it too cramped for our family. The MDX was too small and too complicated to operate. The RX350 wasn't better, just more expensive. I'd recommend this car to anybody, especially if you're tall and have a heavy right foot."