• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Toyota Highlander

Based on 336 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Retained its newness over the three year lease.

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "fulfilled our needs for an SUV"

Cons: "3rd row seats are difficult to enter."

"We leased the vehicle and liked it enough to buy a new one. We built up equity in our vehicle over the three year term of the lease. Surprise!"

Great vehicle

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "Rides great and very smooth, quiet. Lot's of room."

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better."

"This is an all around great vehicle. The workmanship and quality are excellent. It rides great and gets decent gas mileage for it's size. I would buy this car again in a heartbeat."

Keeping this car for my 8 yr old!!!!

By on Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cons: "Gas mileage is avg."

"That's right I'm going to keep this car for a long time. I own a 2012 limited and have had no issues with this car. My only regret is with the aftermarket hitch the dealer installed. It doesn't look as clean as the factory hitch install and now the paint is beginning to chip and rust. This past winter was the first test for my Highlander. The AWD system was amazing. It got me through 6-8 inches of unplowed snow in residential streets. I never felt so confident behind the wheel. I'm planning on buying another car this spring for my wife, and another Highlander is not outnof the question."

2002 Highlander - Fantastic Transportation

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Met my needs"

Cons: "should have purchased heated seats"

"A very sad day - was notified today that my 2002 Toyota Highlander will not be repaired and was totaled as a result of an inattentive person hitting me at 30 mph. I had planned on driving this vehicle for many more years as it only had 90,000 miles on it. It still drove like the day I purchased it - regular maintenance is all it took to keep it in tip top shape. Am starting the hunt to replace it with a 2013 Highlander. Did I say I was extremely satistied with it!"

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "2nd highlander owned - comfortable and dependable"

"Would highly recommend. I had 165,000 trouble free miles on my last Highlander when sold."

Owned for 5 yrs no problems, very comfortable

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable and sure footed in bad weather"

Cons: "no 2nd row charging, mileage not as advertised"

"Have been happy with this vehicle, very roomy and comfortable. Has been reliable for first 100,000 and reasonable maintenance cost. Had a problem with rear hubs 2nd year into it, but fixed and has been fine. Mileage is more 27 highway and 24 city, I do a lot of city driving and do 65 to 75 on highway. very sure footed snow and rain, love the engine breaking feature for steep downhill in snow and ice."

very reliable,good gas mileage,low upkeep vehicle

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "reliable,roomy,drives nice, good mileage"

Cons: "have none"

"Bought this vehicle new..have never had any problems what so ever..rides very nice,great gas mileage,just change oil, and had new tires put on.."

L O V E this vehicle!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, quiet, 4cyl has lots of power."

Cons: "Can't think of any cons."

"Have had it for three weeks now. Love everything about it. Been waiting a long time for this and glad I got it. Got the base model, 4cyl., has everything I want/need. Cloth interior is beautiful. Drives/handles like a small vehicle (meaning does not have a big bulky feel). Got a great deal from my Toyota dealer too. Everyone should be this lucky!!!"

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse which was a piece of j u n k and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Pros: "Plenty of horsepower, smooth ride, great quality"

"I was a lifetime Chevy SUV owner until I started having problems with each succeeding model. I traded in my last Chevy I'll ever own, a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse which was a piece of junk and with the urging of my friends bought a brand new 2013 Toyota Highlander. Best choice I ever made. I have driven over 21000 trouble free miles. The ride is very comfortable with plenty of horsepower to go over the mountains on the way to Vegas. I am now going to be a lifetime Toyota owner."

Best vehicle ever.

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "great handling and rich feeling"

Cons: "not a one"

"This, 2010 Limited Highlander, is my 3rd Highlander. The ride is as smooth if not smoother than most cars. It handles beautifully and is totally reliable. Highlander beats my former Ford Explorer by miles and Chevy's SUV doesn't come close. I'm planning on buying my 4th one soon."

Would not recommend!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Cons: "Mpg performance"

"I am not impressed with the fuel economy or performance, We are lucky to get 20mpg hwy and performance is poor. We donated a great car to charity (a 96 Chevy Caprice, 350 engine, 25mpg hwy and REALLY great performance) to buy this Toyota."

Good gas mileage and reliable

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

Pros: "tech package, flexible seating, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not the most exciting to drive"

"We have had our 2012 highlander for about a year and are very happy with it. We got the 4 cylinder model for mileage and for the flat Louisiana roads we drive 95% of the time. So far, the 4 cylinder has been great. We are averaging over 25 mpg in mostly highway driving and it makes only a few hp less than our 2005 Ford Freestyle. It did struggle a bit on a trip to the mountains of Arkansas,so I would probably get the 6 cylinder if I lived in a mountainous area or towed with it. We love the tech package with the bluetooth and rear view camera. Also love the flexible seating that can seat people our lay flat to carry our large dogs. So far,has been a typical reliable Toyota vehicle. Toyota Care which includes your scheduled maintenance has been a bonus. If you are in the market for a SUV, do yourself a favor and look at the highlander."

Rattling and very noisy

By on Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pros: "Space"

Cons: "14MPG.... Gas guzzler and no performace"

"I drove this car for 3000 miles now and it is giving me headache since day 2. Rattling started in the car at 600 miles. All seats makes so much cranky noise. There is so much wind leak noise too. Took to Toyota to check out and they made even worst. DONT BUY THIS RATTLING JUNK..... Plastic is VERY CHEAP inside the car. NO TOYATO anymore."

I Love my Highlander

By on Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pros: "comfort, reliable, and great travel car"

Cons: "not crazy about the look of the front"

"I love my Highlander so much that i'm impatiently awaiting the 2014 to see what they have come up with. I drove the new RAV 4 and really liked the changes with that, but not as comfortable and roomy and my Highlander. Would recommend this vehicle highly"

Excellent Value

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "Room, Performance, Visibility"

Cons: "Plasticy door panels, not cheap"

"I don't regret a minute of owning this car. It is excellent on road trips. Handles my three tall kids, and my 6' 3' frame. The visibility is great with the huge side mirrors and the back-up camera it's a breeze to park. Though rated at 24 highway I have achieved 26 on more than one trip. The only knock I have is the excessive use of cheap looking plastics in the interior. I chose the SE with leather and Nav in 2WD. It is very light and quick. My wife has the Limited 4WD which is much heavier and more plush feeling. She liked mine so much she bought one of her own. You can spend more money but it's hard to get a better value. We compared it to the Pilot but found it too cramped for our family. The MDX was too small and too complicated to operate. The RX350 wasn't better, just more expensive. I'd recommend this car to anybody, especially if you're tall and have a heavy right foot."

reliable vehicle, good power, low quality interior

By on Saturday, March 23, 2013

Pros: "A suv with room, power and dependabiltiy."

Cons: "Not great snow road abiltiy/cheap interior parts."

"Pros: Never in 3 1/2 years have we had a problem with the vehicle. Have over 74000 miles on a 2009 limited all wheel drive. Like 3rd seat when needed. Like the wood grain accents in the interior. Nice drivers position and good visability. Good engine power. Gas mileage in city 19, highway 23/24 mpg. Rides nice on highway. outside design, while not breathtaking, is conservative in look. Like individual heat and air controls. Like the rear controls as well. Nice middle rear seat hide away feature. Very much like the rear autoclose hatch door. Cons: Cheap, hard plastic parts through out interior. Very few soft feel surfaces. Dash looks cheap. And for a $40,000 vehicle there are some things that just shouldn't be. Like the very cheap almost cardboard like headliner. Leather seats that look like the cheapest leather toyota could find just to call them leather seats. And then there are the stock tires. I read alot of reviews on this suv before I bought it. The toyo tires looked like I should stay away from, so ordered with dualers on it. Did not make a difference. Shame on toyota for putting tires on a car that made me wonder in winter whether I was going to turn through a intersection or slide trough it. I hypothicate having tire that give the manufacture another 2 miles per gallon was key thought when they put them on the car. Last, but not least, because of the amount of snow where we live, all wheel drive is looking like it is not the best choice to have. Bells go off, dash lights flash just to tell me what I already know, that the vehicle is slipping. I want a system that is already in 4 wheel drive mode to prevent that from happening in the beginnng. Maybe should of bought the 4 Runner instead. Like a suv with room, power and dependabiltiy? Then look at this vehicle. Need great road capability in snow and what a quality looking and feeling interior features, then maybe look elsewhere."

Just Incredible!!!!

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Standar Equipment, Gas saver and space."

Cons: "nothing!!!!"

"This is my first Toyota and I have to admit... Is just Incredible... The options you get and the standar equipment are great!!! The driving experience is great, so smooth and quiet and the confort is a plus,considering that is a 4 cylinder the power is good and the MPG is great for this segment of SUV's."

Best vehicle I've owned yet!

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

"Love my highlander. It has everything you could ever want. I will get another one for my next update. The ony thing I would change is that you can't use the navigation when in route unless you use voice command which you almost have to know the language. i understand for safety reasons it locks up when driving but it would be nice if your passanger could use it."

Worst Nightmare Ever

By on Monday, February 04, 2013

Reason: Too many problems

Pros: "Absolutely Nothing"

Cons: "Not a safe vehicle!"

"We had nothing but problems with this car. The electric steering assist went out three times in the year we owned it. We had "Brake Failure " appear on the dash twice and the vehicle had to be towed. The last three months of ownership, this vehicle was parked in the driveway as we did not feel safe in this vehicle."

Reliable, powerful, safe, comfortable, gr8 4 fam

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pros: "awesome braking/handling on snow/ice"

Cons: "Navi sys limited access while in motion, fuel econ"

"Only 3 Negatives: 1) Navi system is not worth the extra $, updates are on expensive DVD and come out every other year; 2) No bluetooth music streaming 3) when using the 3d row seat, you have almost no trunk space Postives: - V6 is powerful, but gets 19 MPH in city/23 fwy; - Limited model has it all: 5K-lb tow package, headrest DVD (great for kids; faux wood, fuel computer; his/hers/back seat climate control; seat heaters both front seats; 2d row: 2 captains chairs or insert a middle seat wedge and it turns into a bench seat for 3; fold-flat 3d row seat; - Handleing: computer controlled braking and handling sytems is amazing...prevented accident on at least 2 occasions; - Reliable...it's a Toyota...of course if runs great; - Maintenance covered under "Toyota Care" 2 years of scheduled maintenance included; - 3-row seat is convenient for when the kids have friends, (but you loose almost all your trunk space in that config); - Comfortable ride; drove it cross country with family...roomy, fast, you can drive it all day long and not hurt; - AWD option...handles great in inclement weather (rain, snow, ice, gravel, offroad (costs you 1 additional MPH over the FWD version. However, if you need it, it's invaluable; Value: If you can afford the 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD and the negatives I mentioned are not a "deal breaker", then I highly recommend this car...we love ours!"

Great in Snow!

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Snow, Comfort, Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Storage space, Clearance"

"I've owned this vehicle for a 6 months and it has driven great. Driving a mountain pass daily it easily out performs most vehicles on the commute. My only complaint is the lack of cargo space when compared to the Chevy Traverse...although we all know I will still be driving this vehicle long after similar Traverses are at the Junk Yard!"

Outstanding Crossover!

By on Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Pros: "Absolute comfort, roomy, gas saver and exclusive!"

Cons: "Good luck finding one!"

"I've owned many cars, makes and models. This is the very first hybrid and I'm impressed so far. I've owned the car for a few days and the more I drive it, the more I think its the best crossover on the market. I have a 2013 Hybrid Limited and after driving other crossovers, the Highlander is by far a better value and perfect fit for my family. I test drove the M class, X-5 and Toureg but each of those were $9K-$22K higher comparably equipped. If you include the difference in gas mileage over the years, those figures jump even higher. I received good resale value for my last Toyota after nine years so I'm expecting the same for the Highlander. The interior is very comfortable and spacious. The hidden third row seating is a great thing to have when we need it. Toyota's EnTune is easy and synced each of my family's own playlist. The exterior is classy with lots of chrome trim but no over the top. I expect my maintenance costs to be affordable compared to the two German cars I own and drive. We have nice weather, no snow therefore can't speak about adverse weather conditions. Overall extremely satisfied. I've traveled 250 CITY miles thus far and have not used half the tank yet. Good job Toyota!!"

Most Dangerous Vehicle Ever Driven on Snow

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Pros: "Smooth quite ride, decent gas milage"

Cons: "Death trap on snow, irritating technology"

"I will start with the most serious issue. This is simply stated and in my opinion the single most dangerous vehicle I have ever driven in the snow in the last 27 years. My 2wd 64 chevy pickup handled better in the snow. The technology associated with this vehicle is very intrusive. Want to program that voice controled navigation? Better be a long trip, across town I am generally ther by the time the GPS is programmed. Ever had your GPS tell you every mile for 20 miles there is congestion ahead but not offer to route you around it? What is worse was there was no traffic congestion. The vehicle stability system cannot be turned off, and the moment a tire slips in the snow it starts locking up brakes. Really hard to control a vehicle when the vehicle ensures all 4 tires are locked up and sliding without your foot on the brake. Truly a hazard!"