• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Toyota Highlander

Based on 337 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

great car, good mileage, looks good

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "drives great, looks great, good mileage"

Cons: "?"

"It's a really good car. If I didn't want to get my wife a new one this month I'd keep it."

My second Highlander. Best car for me.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, pleasure to drive, great sound system."

Cons: "Nothing that 400hp wouldnt cure."

"I traded in my 2008 se after 89,000 mi on a 2013 Limited. It was used one owner with 958 mi.(to me that's new) Got it for 21K and trade. I feel we got a good deal. I love the second Gen. Highlander. Not so fond of the 2014&15 they made some changes that I just don't like. This 13 is so nice, with all the extras. AWD is a must for us, with mountain snow and all. It rides smooth and quite, steering is same as my 08, so no surprise that you have to pay attention. I'm still getting used to all the gizmos, Bluetooth, Nav system, Love the JBL speakers a big improvement over the 08 we had. My wife likes the power lift hatch. I love the remote start, I can get it cooling down without even going outside. The reliability was the real reason we bought another. I had zero problems with my 08 and was just about to get the brakes done when we found this new one. Just Syn. oil, tiers and wipers. We're close to retirement so having the higher end model will be nice. I don't plan to buy another car ever and I think this will be good for about 300Kmi with proper care. I've never used the third row seats on either car but it's nice to know I can. Some day we may take the grand kids on a trip. The running boards do help my Mom get in and out. She's 89 now with bad knees, she likes the leather Captain seats in the second row. I would recommend a Highlander to anyone looking at an SUV, and if it's in your budget, get the higher end Highlander it's worth the extra cash. It's not for serious off road but it can handle most gentle trails with ease. Towing is good at 5000lb rating. Power is a modest but good 270hp. It will step lively when you need it and MPG is good. Resale value I think is good, we made a good trade on my 08. The moon roof and roof rack is nice for those things that don't quite fit in the back. I honestly cant find anything to complain about in this new model. It's every bit as good as the 08 but the upgrade to a Limited is so much nicer and pleasant to drive."

Good Vehicle - Excellent in Snow and heavy rain

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "holds it value"

"Keeps going."

Great family vehicle....

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Dependable safe and good looking..."

Cons: "Seems like its floating on turns....but its not."

"I love this car but it floats on turns and although very stable it sometimes doesn't feel that way...A great safe vehicle...I would definitely purchase another...but I don't think this one will wear out!"

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Smooth Ride, Great Family Vehicle"

Cons: "Gas Mileage is about 20mpg"

"Wonderful vehicle! Great price! Holds its value. This is the second Highlander I've leased. The lease price has been really affordable. I love the smooth ride and the space. It's a great vehicle for moving kids around, hauling dirt and plants for the garden, and carting a wet dog home from the lake. It handles really nicely for an SUV and the third row seating is great for kids. My only wish is that the gas mileage was better. I average 19 mpg going to and from work. On long trips I get 24 to 25 mpg on the highway."

Excellent, comfortable, reliable, great gas mileag

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "4wd, gas mileage, comfort, reliability"

"This is my first Highlander. I have owned several Camrys and found them all to be excellent and reliable vehicles. The Highlander is as comfortable and reliable as all of the Toyotas I have owned. The third row seat comes in very handy. The 4 wheel drive is very useful in the mountainous terrain and bad winter driving conditions of Western PA. The gas mileage is better than advertised. My Highlander averages 19 mpg city and 25 mpg highway. With its great gas mileage, spaciousness, and comfort it is a great vehicle to take on vacation."

excellent.

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

"excellent"

Best car/truck I've ever had- I'd buy another

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Smooth ride, good stereo, comfortable seats"

Cons: "Should buy the high end model, be happy."

"After driving a high performance Camaro for 20 years, It was time for a new something. Test drove a 2008 Highlander(Aug.2008) and loved it. Now has 90Kmi and only tiers and wipers and Mobil 1 oil. Water pump was under warrantee at 75Kmi. I'll be doing the brakes for the first time next service. That's just unheard of for me. I'll get new plugs at 100K. This car still drives like it did new!! Great in deep snow in the mountains, can pull 5,000 pounds, holds a lot of stuff and 3 rows of seats for all the grand kids. Once had 6 people, all the luggage on the roof and pulling a large U-Haul trailer from Texas to Nevada in the summer. Not one issue except used more gas. Just me and the wife, we get 22mpg on the highway and about 18 in town. Living in the desert it gets very hot, but the A/C is so good in this car, I'm never uncomfortable. It goes from 130 deg to 72 in about 10 min. That's a must where we live. It's so comfortable to drive on long trips I rarely get tired. Just hit the cruse and tones and relax. Lots of storage and ample cup holders and power plugins for extra toys. Ride is smooth even on some very ruff roads. My wife and I are short and we don't have to "Clime" into the car which is what I hate about my daughters Explorer. Her Explorer rides very ruff and the steering is much harder. The electric steering of the Highlander is top's. No pump or fluid to change, and butter smooth. Very easy to maneuver. The mirrors are large and easy to see all around. I think I'll get around 300Kmi before I need another, but I'd buy a Highlander again. The next one will have all the extras, with leather and sun roof. I'll only go with the 4X4 and at least a V6. Best car I've ever had!! I'm old so I've had a lot of cars."

Still loving it!!!

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive and the dogs love the rear air"

Cons: "I haven't found any"

"I bought this SUV new and it is now 6 years old. Only 60,000 miles but I have had no problems whatsoever. I am now looking at the 2014 and really hate to part with this one. Whoever buys it will not be sorry."

Great car, comfortable around town & long trips

By on Friday, June 20, 2014

Pros: "Price, style, fuel efficiency for the size"

Cons: "Storage area small, especially when using 3rd row"

"I have been very pleased with the Highlander. It is comfortable to drive, solid and quiet. The interior styling is attractive and the fuel economy is good for a vehicle of this size. I compared many other SUV's before choosing this one. The quality, style and value of the Highlander made the decision easy. The only issue I have experienced was with the driver's window motor making some noise when the car was about 2 years old. The dealership replaced it without hesitation when I took it in."