2009 Toyota Highlander

Based on 357 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Best car I ever owned!

By on Sunday, March 29, 2015

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, huge trunk area"

Cons: "No Compass; doesn't store seat settings"

"Excellent ride and hauls heavy items without affecting drive quality."

Solid pluses, definite minuses

By on Sunday, March 22, 2015

"The same things that attracted me initially are what I continue to like about this 2013 4WD SE: Toyota reliability and "brand," powerful and very refined V6 (this engine is quiet and QUICK, best in class,) effective cold weather package and winter handling, compliant Camry-based ride, drive characteristics are great (in fact, the critics claim that it drifts too much in hwy driving is not accurate, it does fine in that regard--just my experience.) For a "heavy" 4wd veichle, this car is nimble and impressively quick for passing and getting out of trouble. Again, very strong engine is probably the car's best asset. Also, all the options work just as advertised. HOWEVER: interior fit and finish was subpar on this car, turns out 2013 was not good for Toyota overall in this regard. Too much cheap plastic up front. and so not surprisingly, several ANNOYING rattles quickly developed in the dash area (been in for it, fixed one big one but the others elude a solution.) Also an equally annoying wind noise rattle from somewhere in the rear at hwy speeds. No excuse for this in a $36,000 car. I HATE RATTLES!! Also, the leather seats always did look kind of cheap (definitely not "plush") and have not "broken in" as comfortable enough for extended driving, and the armrests and console are thinly padded and not placed well enough for either me or my wife. New car, and my wife has to use a cushion to compensate for the lack of seat comfort! If I had to, I could live with this car given its obvious strong points, but two years into a three-year lease, I'm looking to get out of it if I can without losing my shirt."

Great looking ride

By on Sunday, March 15, 2015

Pros: "Great acceleration,cool look,good gas"

Cons: "no hands free phone hook up"

"I've owned my Highlander for a little over 2 years now, I purchased her with 18,000 miles and she is now at 35,075. Very minor flaws and minor flaws they are. Great condition, dark window tint and aggressive/cool tire tread."

2nd highlander. Love it

By on Thursday, March 12, 2015

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, 4 cup holders."

"Looking to trade in for newer model. Love it. 2nd highlander. Bought 1 st one new. 2nd one used and going now for 3rd used!"

Solid SUV

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2015

"Great people mover (although the third row is not great for an adult for any ride over 30 mins but is doable), powerful acceleration, good handling, pretty good in snow, super reliable and interior is made of high quality material that lasts. The vehicle is a nice split between a full size SUV and a mid-sized cross-over. Cons gas mileage stinks, Less than 15 mpg is common for around town and don't expect much over (in any) 20 on the highway. The cars Bluetooth is complicated to work and set up and the hands-free voice dialing is a joke. All in all, well worth it if your looking for a vehicle like this, Toyota reliability and resale value trump the few cons on this vehicle."

Great SUV!

By on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pros: "Great vehicle and very spunky!"

Cons: "Tire monitor mildly aggravating."

"I have had this vehicle 14 months now and it has been quiet a pleasure driving it. The power of the 3.5L v-6 is more than adequate and the mileage is better than advertised. I average 20-21 mixed street/highway and 24/27 on the highway if I keep my foot out of the fuel injection. (Used to be carburetor). I have the plus model which is equipped just right for me. The seat is very comfortable with good adjustments. The instrument panel has good visibility and adjustments are easy to make. Bluetooth is a very handy way to use the phone. The only irritant I have is the tire pressure monitoring system. Not terrible, just annoying. Overall, I am very pleased with this vehicle. It replaced a pick-up truck that I dearly loved but being an amputee of the left leg, getting in and out was becoming a problem. I definitely chose the correct replacement. A bit of excitement is back in my driving experience. I would get another highlander."

more than i expected

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "toyota quality and reliability, excellent in snow"

"I have owned several Toyota models over the years and have never been disappointed in any way. This Highlander is no exception. The ride is smooth. The reliability is just what you'd expect from a Toyota. What really impressed me about this model was it's handling in the snow. I currently also own a Landcruiser so my expectations are quite high when it comes to bad weather driving. No, it's not on par with the Landcruiser but it does quite well for what it is. No complaints. Awesome alternative to the minivan (traded in our 99 sienna with almost 200k (trouble free) miles on it for this)."

Outstanding gas mileage

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Pros: "Gas mileage"

Cons: "No cons"

"No problems with it, drives great, and has amazing gas milage"

Nice Suv

By on Tuesday, February 03, 2015

"would buy and recommend to friends"

Great vehicle

By on Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pros: "Quality through out"

Cons: "Trouble keeping windshield smear free."

"Previously drove a 4 Runner. The Highlander keeps some of the features of the 4 Runner, but adds some luxuries."

Went west, drove over 6,000 miles, average 26mpg

By on Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pros: "It is easy to drive and very comfortable"

"highway. It 4 wheel drive, very comfortable, handles good on rough off road driving. Handles grades of 12% very good."

Great family Vehicle (SE V6 Loaded)

By on Friday, January 02, 2015

Pros: "Good MPG, great family SUV, Value holds up"

Cons: "Driving dynamics, cheap interior plastics, Tires"

"Great SUV so far with better MPG than expected. 19-21 in city and 23-25 MPG highway. Pretty good considering a strong V6 AWD. 3rd row seats are great for small kids. Second row seating is huge with a lot of space. Handling is only subpar and definitely not very responsive, but its not supposed to be either. Interior plastics are cheap, hard and not attractive, but everything is responsive and works well. Leather seats are a must but not comfortable or supportive on long highway trips, and we certainly take a lot of them. It is a must to get rid of Toyota's standard Toyo Tires ASAP as they wear fast and are not good in the snow. We like anything Yokohama on ours. Value holds up amazingly on these vehicles which was one of our selling points. The front grill looks great but overall body definitely needed an upgrade to its looks, which it got with the 14 model year."

great SUV. I have bought new 2015 Highlander

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

"good, serviceable vehicle. Just near perfect for my needs Only complaint is that fenders are easily displaced with minor dings."

Excellent Vehicle.

By on Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Pros: "Smooth running, handles excellent, a quality vehic"

"The best SUV vehicle I have ever owned. The engine, transmission, and all functions are excellent.. Have not had one problem with it."

Awesome car with a great ride

By on Friday, November 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, not bad on gas, great in snow"

Cons: "cheaper dashboard feel (rattle in dash)"

"2008 sport with Navigation. Great car. Only a few issues with the car. Replaced original tires at 27,000. Found out that this was typical due to how easy it is to knock this car out of tow. Once I new that with the new tires (Good Year Assurance) they have been great and looks like I will get 50k+ out of the second set. Rear brakes locked up at 48k miles. Replaced brakes and rotors all the way around. I have a rattle in the dash board only in cold weather. it is annoying but somehow goes away when it is over 45 degrees. The interior is holding up great (leather) and love all the extra toys in the car. Its a fun car to own and drive and will be getting another one."

good car, regularly serviced, reliable

By on Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pros: "very good and reliable car"

Cons: "high mileage"

"I purchased this car new. It has been serviced on schedule It is in very good condition. Excellent tires. Does not use oil. Clean."

Reliable, fuel efficient and stylish for an SUV

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "easy to drive, lots of power and roomy inside."

Cons: "expensive to fix nob on radio and tires too"

"I like everything about my Highlander. It is by far the most comfortable SUV I have ever owned. Handles extremely well in bad weather. has all the bells and whistles. Very stylish and fun to drive. lots of room and the optional third row seat comes in handy often."

Was the best SUV I ever had!

By on Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pros: "I love the color...Waveline blue"

Cons: "There were none that I could find after 7 years."

"Am trading this 2008 FWD 6 cyl for the new 2015 AWD. I like the new style and like to have the latest and the greatest. Just hope the new one is as good as this one has been. Still has the original battery in it. Never had an ounce of trouble and it was a soft and cushy ride as far as I am concerned. I know the new owner will love it!"

Reliable, quiet. Few luxuries,

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

"A very quiet motor, comfortable, great for hauling things. The steering column is a pain because it does not tilt automatically. The wipers and cruise controls are in a location behind the steering wheel. It is sometimes difficult to see which setting you want. The rear wiper is not wide enough. The carpet is very thin and cheap. Unless they have made these changes, I would not buy this model again."

No problems, no complaints. Would buy again.

By on Monday, October 06, 2014

Cons: "Model I have does not have outdoor temp display"

"This has been a solid, reliable vehicle. Over the past 20 years, I have gone through several vehicles. My Highlander is the one vehicle that I've had longer than any other. It serves all my needs and is a dream to drive a 16 hour round trip in, which we do a few times a year to visit relatives/vacation. Its comfortable, quiet and performs exceptionally well."

great car, good mileage, looks good

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "drives great, looks great, good mileage"

Cons: "?"

"It's a really good car. If I didn't want to get my wife a new one this month I'd keep it."

My second Highlander. Best car for me.

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Quiet, pleasure to drive, great sound system."

Cons: "Nothing that 400hp wouldnt cure."

"I traded in my 2008 se after 89,000 mi on a 2013 Limited. It was used one owner with 958 mi.(to me that's new) Got it for 21K and trade. I feel we got a good deal. I love the second Gen. Highlander. Not so fond of the 2014&15 they made some changes that I just don't like. This 13 is so nice, with all the extras. AWD is a must for us, with mountain snow and all. It rides smooth and quite, steering is same as my 08, so no surprise that you have to pay attention. I'm still getting used to all the gizmos, Bluetooth, Nav system, Love the JBL speakers a big improvement over the 08 we had. My wife likes the power lift hatch. I love the remote start, I can get it cooling down without even going outside. The reliability was the real reason we bought another. I had zero problems with my 08 and was just about to get the brakes done when we found this new one. Just Syn. oil, tiers and wipers. We're close to retirement so having the higher end model will be nice. I don't plan to buy another car ever and I think this will be good for about 300Kmi with proper care. I've never used the third row seats on either car but it's nice to know I can. Some day we may take the grand kids on a trip. The running boards do help my Mom get in and out. She's 89 now with bad knees, she likes the leather Captain seats in the second row. I would recommend a Highlander to anyone looking at an SUV, and if it's in your budget, get the higher end Highlander it's worth the extra cash. It's not for serious off road but it can handle most gentle trails with ease. Towing is good at 5000lb rating. Power is a modest but good 270hp. It will step lively when you need it and MPG is good. Resale value I think is good, we made a good trade on my 08. The moon roof and roof rack is nice for those things that don't quite fit in the back. I honestly cant find anything to complain about in this new model. It's every bit as good as the 08 but the upgrade to a Limited is so much nicer and pleasant to drive."

Good Vehicle - Excellent in Snow and heavy rain

By on Friday, September 05, 2014

Pros: "holds it value"

"Keeps going."

Great family vehicle....

By on Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Pros: "Dependable safe and good looking..."

Cons: "Seems like its floating on turns....but its not."

"I love this car but it floats on turns and although very stable it sometimes doesn't feel that way...A great safe vehicle...I would definitely purchase another...but I don't think this one will wear out!"

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "Great Price, Smooth Ride, Great Family Vehicle"

Cons: "Gas Mileage is about 20mpg"

"Wonderful vehicle! Great price! Holds its value. This is the second Highlander I've leased. The lease price has been really affordable. I love the smooth ride and the space. It's a great vehicle for moving kids around, hauling dirt and plants for the garden, and carting a wet dog home from the lake. It handles really nicely for an SUV and the third row seating is great for kids. My only wish is that the gas mileage was better. I average 19 mpg going to and from work. On long trips I get 24 to 25 mpg on the highway."