• 2014 Compact SUVs

2008 Toyota Highlander

Based on 322 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25
Previous | 1 ... 11 12 13 | Next

Great family car

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"I've reviewed all of the SUV's in the same price range and the Highlander tops them all. The interior is designed to have everything easily at hand for the driver. I love being able to adjust the rear AC from the front seat. The automatic rear door makes entry easy. I love the smart key system, no more digging in my purse trying to find the key. My 3 YO daughter loves this car because she can climb easily into it. She is now also able to get into her own car seat which eliminates the awkward lifting to place her in. She loves watching the screen while in reverse to see where we are going. She likes it almost as much as the built in DVD. While the DVD does block the driver view somewhat, but it isn't too bad. It would be great if the screen could rotate slightly. This is my first vehicle with a nav system and I found it easy to learn and operate. It is intuitive, so when we deviate from the programmed course it recommends an alternative route. The rear camera is helpful, but the car has very few blind spots. I love the large side mirrors which make lane changes easy. My previous vehicle was a V8 which had more power, but not a significant percentage more. I would definitely trade for the better gas mileage. I would love for this vehicle to have memory seats. Honestly for the price I am surprised they aren't standard on the Limited. I used to own a Lexus, and while this isn't quite as luxurious it's close enough. Since Lexus maintenance is 2-3 times the price, the Toyota is going to be much easier on my pocket book in the long run. This is a wonderful vehicle that meets the needs of a busy family. I would definitely recommend it to others as I have no regrets in my purchase. I plan on keeping this vehicle for quite awhile."

toyota's are great

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"my 3rd toyota, love them all!!! so far my 2008 highland is just as good. I love the front and back look of the highland (08) the side is a little plane."

I like it

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"I recently drove a 06 Toyota Highlander AWD and completely loved it!!!!!! Had someone hit me from the rear driving around 35-45mph hour I drove away they towed his vehicle away. I traded in this 06 for a 08 Highlander AWD and I was surprised at how differently they operate. I live in a rural community where the roads are not paved so I get the chance to use the SUV in a number of driving conditions. The steering on the 08 is very touchy and had to get use to its light touch as the 06 you could "feel" the turns. The power on the 08 is ridiculous I have to watch my foot with this puppy the 06 wasn't to shabby neither going up and down the Colorado mountains. Gas mileage definitely goes to the 06. I achieved a constant 23mpg on this V6 awd and on the 08 the best I've gotten so far is 21.5mpg. However it is said that once you hit 6K miles the gas mileage gets better so will have to wait and see how that turns out. As far as the snow the 06 in my opinion does a better job than the 08 I think due to the light touch steering as stated earlier the slightest touch yields huge results on the 08. Had only 1 problem with the 08 went to pull my phone charger out of the 12v socket and the whole piece came up in my hand. This was easily fixed by shoving it back into the console. Finally, I really enjoy the size and ride of the 08 and the spacious surroundings in the vehicle itself. Would I buy the 06 or 08 again. YEAH, I Like em."

Awesome SUV

By on Sunday, January 27, 2008

"What an excellent vehicle. Smooth ride great power. Flew up over Altamont Pass at 90mph with 6 large passengers and it felt like we were barely moving. With Toyota's reliability I know this vehicle is a wise choice. Purchased based on the excellent rating by Consumer Reports. Great gas mileage and power for a V6. Some V8's have less horsepower than this Toyota."

Good Hybrid SUV

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"I got the limited hybrid version and have been driving it for a month now. So far I have loved the vehicle.The "ECONOMY" mode is very nice to get better gas mileage. I have been avaeraging about 28 mpg both city and highway combined. Lot of space for family and kids. Nice innovative design and styling. Good ground clearance. I would recommend this vehicle to my friends."

By on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

solid value

By on Thursday, December 27, 2007

"To early to tell if the customary reliability is in the suv but I suspect it is. I have only driven the car 1000 miles but I am very satisfied with its performance. Very smooth and quiet with plenty of power. The extra features of the limited with NAV are well worth the money. The only con's I have seen are in the interior finish. Toyota could put a bit more refinement in the finishing touches. Tough to do with plastic but not imposible, Lexus has it. I did a lot of research before I purchased this model and everything i read was spot on. I drove the competition but this vehicle has much more bang for the buck."

I LOVE my Highlander

By on Saturday, December 08, 2007

"I have had my Highlander for a week now and I love it more & more everday. It's fun, comfortable, and stylish. It rides like a luxury sedan. If you are thinking about buying one, don't hesitate just DO IT!!! You won't regret it. I have the AWD Limited with everything in it and it's GREAT!!!"

Love it!

By on Thursday, December 06, 2007

"My wife traded in her 07 Camry on the 08 Highlander Sport, has everything but leather and nav system. Even the knobs on the stereo and air conditioner are just big enough for easy reach while you are driving. If you don't mind spending the extra money get the sport package, it comes with a lot more than the base model for only two or three thousand more. With the sport the rear glass hatch opens with a button on the back or there is one on the wireless key pad. My wife says the backup camera only gives you a distorted view and is kind or decieving for what is next to you, and she says she is still gettig used to it though, but it is great to see if anybody is behind you or them short concrete poles that are in some parking lots. We also have the step bars which are not neccessary being it's not high enough for them, and she is only 5 foot tall, it makes it kind of difficult getting out of for her."

Pleasantly surprising

By on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

"I traded a 2003 Camry V6 for my 2008 4WD Highlander Sport after test driving a 2008 Honda Pilot twice (the Highlander ride is better), and a 2008 Ford Taurus wagon (cheap plastic interior). I also noticed that the Highlander has much better rear axle ground clearance than the Pilot, so I know it would be better on light off-road use. As I did with my V6 Camry, I find the Highlander engine runs better using premium fuel. I hasten to add that they both ran fine on regular, but I'm a spirited driver and I can sense the better performance - especially when accelerating hard and driving on steep hills (there is less down shifting when on cruise control). Driving as I do, I've been getting just under 20 MPG. If I drove more conservatively, I think I could easily get 20 or better. The third row meant nothing to me so they're folded down and I like the resulting cargo area. It's wonderful to be able to load groceries, etc., without bending. Handling is noticeably sure-footed at speed, on curves, in traffic, and in rain. My wife, who drives a 2003 RAV4, feels very comfortable and safe in the Highlander. I love the ability to instantly manually control the transmission, the rear-view backup camera, and the many other little extras. My only disappointment is the fact that Toyota put a European VW-type horn on the Highlander. My Camry had a real horn."

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

By on Friday, October 19, 2007

"We traded in our 05 Nissan Altima, for this vechicle. We were looking between the Honda Pilot and The Highlander. I really like to fact that it still feels like you are driving a car, the most comfortable vehicle I have driven. Handles the rain very well, haven't been able to try in the snow yet. The third row really isn't bad either, very spacious, the hatch is easy to lift and close even being 5'4". Easy to put children in to car. I would definetly recommend this vehicle to anyone who is looking."

best suv on the market

By on Friday, October 12, 2007

"The ride and comfort of this vehicle is amazing. Toyotahit the nail on the head with this one"

2008 Highlander

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Traded in 07 Rav4 and love the additional room. The vehicle rides great and has plenty of power. The AWD also gives a great sense of control in the rain (no snow to test in yet). The 3rd row seat also provides enough room to make it useful for children or average size adults. The only thing overlooked in the design was the 3rd row seat. This should have been a 50/50 split like the Rav4 to provide more passenger/cargo configurations. Be sure to look at the room behind 3rd seat if you are planning on using it."

Black/Black Sport Model

By on Saturday, October 06, 2007

"Traded 05 Black Highlander AWD Limited for 08 Black Sport FWD. The FWD gets better mpg than the AWD which really is only helpful in the smow and is a mileage waster at other times. I put about 22-25K/miles/year. I looked at both the Limited and Sport models. The Sport offers the best price/value and has most of the Limited exterior features such as foglights and 19' rims. It is tough to find a FWD Limited in Chicago; Found a couple of FWD Sport models. The JBL audio is not as good as the one in my 05 and the Sport ride is at times on the firm side. The larger size also took getting used to; however the overall comfort and reliability are great. Bodyside moldings should be standard instead of dealer accessory. Compass should also be opt. on Sport- I had to order one as a dealer installed accessory-still waiting. Without the power rear door the tailgate is really heavy; I am 6'2" and I cannot imagine my wife trying to close it by herself! The new electric rack and pinion power steering feels much different than hydraulic power steering! Cannot go wrong by buying this Toyota- decent resale and top notch reliability."

Just Perfect!

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Traded in my 07 Acura RDX with this new 08 Highlander. Its performance, comfort, styling & interior capacity is perfect. Runs smooth and very quiet, after just 300 miles I'm getting 20 MPG."

Clear sailing

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Roomy, spacious, comfortable, excellent visibility. All kinds of neat gizmos. Turned in my 2006 SUV from another maker that was excellent except for some bad ergonomic issues in the interior. I've had a couple of used Toyota's in the past, but this is the first new one. Surprising how well this V6 moves this thing. I like it. One niggle. The raised details on the hood make it difficult to judge the front corners in tight spots."

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Traded an '01 Highlander (4cyl 4wd) for an '08 Limited (6 cyl 2wd) with all the bells and whistles. Averaging over 23 mpg so far, with 2100 miles on the clock in 4 1/2 weeks. Very comfortable (leather trim), quiet, excellent fit and finish inside and out. Plenty of room, and the adjustable 2nd row seats are great when carrying a full load of passengers."

Most Bang For Your Buck

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2007

"Currently get 20.3 MPG for the size, and comfort, it't larger than the Honda Pilot and still has a car feel, and not a van feel either. Nav system view is larger than currrent lexus."

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007