2005 Toyota Highlander

Based on 823 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

great vehicle

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"We bought our Highlander in 2002. Nearly 6 years later we have yet to have any mechanical problem. Oil changes and gas - that's it. And as a tall person (6'-5"), I find the vehicle very comfortable and easy to drive and maneuver. I would buy another."

Safest Car Ever

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"We were in a car accident with our Toyota Highlander and we believe it saved our lives. We would recommend everyone to get one of these cars. We are going to buy the exact same kind of car."

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "Excellent for Family and Long Trips!"

Cons: "For a 2003 I wish it got better GAS MILEAGE!!!"

"Never gave me an once of trouble! In 12 years, replaced 2 Battery's. Drives and handles like a dream. You take care of it and it takes care of you. Maintenance only!!"

incredible SUV to own

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "VERY reliable!"

"Bought new. Has never broken down in all these years, and as a mother of 3 children, can't say enough how much that means to me! The only issue I have had is with the air conditioner, but was not an emergency to fix so I am still thrilled. Get 18.8 mpg city, but I wonder if stupid ethanol in gas contributed to this, as I was getting more until they started adding it to all gas."

Solid 9 out of 10 car but keep wishing for a 10

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, dependable, power, seats"

Cons: "No front cup holders, sways on winding roads"

"I have had this car since new - 2006, the Hybrid model, and have had very low cost maintenance thus far. The recalled inverter problem never surfaced, but was replaced by dealership at no charge but took most of the day until late afternoon to replace (I always drop car by 9am or so). It got great gas mileage when we lived in flat area of SF bay area, but now we live in hills so think that the hybrid feature is now not so effective, and our gas mileage has plummeted. I wore out the brakes at 100K as going down steep hills a lot, and B drive doesn't work to well on really steep declines. Got this car in silver, hardly never need to clean it...the silver keeps in looking clean. Cloth interior (gray) is comfortable, and I avoided leather since prefer cloth much more (less sticky, etc). The light gray carpet has stained though, and not sure from what since I don't allow food in car, only water bottles. I would never have a dark interior though as hate to have a roasting car in summer, and dark colors absorb heat. This SUV has great pick-up and power, and I can navigate the freeways with confidence. The seats are super comfortable with great lumbar support, etc. I got the AWD. So what have I not liked? 1) Dash - doesn't include any of the current technology for music (we don't use the radio or CD, only iPod or iPhone), so I have a triple outlet for usb to mp3 connections in the cigarette lighters. I had to get 6 foot adapters from the front to the back for kids iPods. I have my GPS on a bean bag on dash which I really like a lot. I'm grateful that I got the premium sound package, as the speakers are better than factory. 2) HVAC - no heat or air to the back seats so my kids are always complaining too hot, too cold. All the vents are in the front, so I have to take the blast for hot & cold first. 3) Storage - seriously lacking in back if all 7 seats are in use. No real cup holders in front for driver and passenger, but kids in back each get 3 cup holders on each side? This really really bugs me. 4) Handling - weebles, wobbles, but doesn't fall down (anyone remember that commercial?). Driving down hills at fast speeds is fun for me, but this SUV has a serious sway to it, and BMW sedans speed on by me in frustration to get around. I can't go any faster due to the height of the vehicle without enough width for handling. Think the new Highlander added a few inches in width to help with this challenge. 5) 3rd Row - no split to the 3rd row seat which would help a lot, and very cramped, but small kids love it, not needing their car seats in 3rd row - can't fit a booster back there anyway. Really can't think of anything else. Great car overall, and has needed very little maintenance. Take in every 5,000 miles and invoice usually just over $100. However, I did just this last week have the auto lock for driver's side stop working (must use key manually now until next service). That is why I came on this sight to see what else may start to go wrong. I am at about 110K miles. Cars I have owned in past: Ford Escort Wagon '89 (totaled by husband, no one hurt), VW bus '72 (carburetor problems), Acura Legend '96 (CV axel joints wore out - too heavy a car for axels), Volvo Diesel '79 (black smoker - terrifying entering freeway), Volvo gas engine, '83 (very boxy). Advice if purchase: Go to Costco for Michelin tires instead of the cheap Goodyear tires that Toyota service puts on. I kid you not - they last THREE times longer!"