2004 Toyota Highlander

Based on 850 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Be careful

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"I bought this car less than a year ago and now the rear differential is gone...it is under warranty but a sign of things to come...at the dealer we asked if it is safe to drive the car and we recieved an "i dont know" All i can do is wait and see..."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"The most reliable we have owned. Minimal repairs and service. This was involved in auto accident and because of the safety and construction I am here to tell everyone how great and safe this auto is. Great in snow, ice packed roads, and on the highway. Roomy to travel with two Old English Sheepdogs. Good ride for an SUV, rides and handles much like a car. Overall great and would purchase another one when ready to buy a new car."

Best Vehicle I've had so far

By on Thursday, May 03, 2007

"I love my highlander. I bought it new at the end of 2004. It handles great, rides smooth. I love how it sits up high. The gas mileage is average for an SUV. I haven't had any problems out of it. I have just been changing the oil regularly and balancing and rotating the tires. I love how the light comes on to remind me it's time to change the oil. A light also comes on when any of my tires are low on air. I also love that I only have to change the oil every 5000 miles. I love the Toyota brands. We have 3 toyotas in the family."

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pros: "Maintenance free"

"I purchased this SUV new. In the 10 years I have owned it, other than routine maintenence and tires, it has never ever had anything go wrong with it. I have never owned a vehicle as reliable and trouble free as this Toyota."

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, paint, solid tight feel still (100k)"

Cons: "Steel wheels"

"I just 100,000 miles on this vehicle. I've done gas and oil and Toyota maintenance at 50,000 miles. I had to have rear brake work twice. Otherwise - no issue. I love this car. Whether hauling tools and supplies, or my kayak on the roof rack or dressing up for a wedding - this vehicle is excellent. What's really amazing is the silver paint. I didn't have a garage for the first 6 years. It sat out all year long - Wisconsin winters. Never had an issue starting. I have the 4cylinder, 2WD model."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, safe, rides well"

"I have owned this vehicle since 2008 and bought it with 40K miles on it. I have not had one unexpected repair - just routine upkeep required. I have the 4WD model which is very secure in bad weather with all weather tires. It rides very nicely and still feels almost like new."

Average quality vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "good driv., good design, saves gas"

Cons: "rigid drv seat, under avr. quality"

"I bought my Highlander (V6) on 2005. It has 80000 miles so far and looks in good shape. The driving has been good and smooth for 2 first years but I can hear a lot of noise on the freeway during the last years. I like its design and the inside features (leather) but the driver seat is a little rigid and narrow. I have been disappointed from the quality of the car compared with the price I paid to buy this car. The first 6 months the plastic insulation of the passenger door had a problem and the Toyota dealer fixed it. Although I have paid for the regular service (every 5000 miles) at my local dealers at 75000 miles the AC was out of service and the Toyota dealers asked for 1150$ to repair it (I repaired it for 700$ at Firestone. Additionally at the same mileage it has some problems with right rear strut, dealer asked 1360$ to replace both the right and the left strut. I repaired them again at a Firestone shop for 792$. Also the exterior paint looks no so resistant compared with this of the Chevy Malibu I have had before the highlander. I would say it is an average SUV and good for everyday driving but overpriced by the dealer."

great liable car to transport my labrador in

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "like the backdoor heighth for groceries and dog."

"Highlander is dependable and meets all my needs. Groceries and dog at a good level;no bending over to get to groceries and dog uses an added ramp to enter and exit. Only negative is the black carrier pieces (attached to the top - it is necessary to have the front windows cracked a little when back side windows are open or a thumping (wind) sound exists."

Sorry but my Dodge and GMC minivans were better...

By on Sunday, March 09, 2008

"My guess is that the better gas mileage comes from lightweight body that easily picks up dents and scratches in the local parking lots. Not sure I'm getting good service at the local Toyota dealer... The "Oil Sludging" problem I had last summer is back again. I think Toyota was hoping that I would get past the 100K mark before the head drain holes plugged-up again Weather has been rough, but The Toyota Computer doesn't like the winter this year. I have had lights for ABS and AIRBAGS intermittantly appearing all winter... Mostly they go away when the vehicle warms up for a while. This is the most repairs on any vehicle I have ever owned for only 56K miles. (Bought it used with 34k miles on it). At least the VSC / anti-skid is not obnoxious when it's broken...(most of the winter) It used to warn me I was skidding and slipping by "beep-beeping" at me long after I corrected for it. Why would anyone want to know that the cruise-control is turned ON, even when you're not using it? After 30 years I bought another Toyota. How can it be that they still don't know how to make a good radio?"

Great gas mileage

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"Got the 2002 highlander 4 cyclinder 2.4L. FWD. It is the best ever. About 25 miles to gallon. Roomy, to fit any wood projects with fold down seats. Comfortable ride, smooth NOT bouncy like the other trucks. Handles like a cadillac."