2004 Toyota Highlander

Based on 836 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pros: "Maintenance free"

"I purchased this SUV new. In the 10 years I have owned it, other than routine maintenence and tires, it has never ever had anything go wrong with it. I have never owned a vehicle as reliable and trouble free as this Toyota."

Absolutely tops among mid-size SUV hybrids!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quick, uber-practical!"

Cons: "Spare hard to reach (but it's a real tire)!"

"I've owned this car for 3 years, having owned a Honda for the family (Odyssey)and Bimmers (5 series--530i, 528e) for my ego. The 2006 Highlander green is, hands down, and head and tails over what I'd espected. It's both practical and stylish (for an SUV), comfortable, and is mechanically super competent. As far as practicality is concerned, it serves well as a vacation car in that it is roomy enough to carry 5 passengers in relative comfort on day trips while carrying a load of "stuff"--suit cases, beach gear, beach house grub, etc., and do double duty as a rather svelt get around car, ferring grandpa, grandma and a 5 grandkids to lunch, the beach, and the Flying Horses! And it does all of this whilst zipping from 0 - 60 in less than 8 seconds! Great pickup, great passing; I love surprising pickups, Cherokees, even the occassional 'sporty' import off the line, so to speak. And I average 24 mpg; better if I drive anywhere close to the speed limits. It actually does better in town than on the highway, which makes sense considering the hybrid attitude. All around, a great ride. Not sure how the newer models fare, but the 2006 is a genuine conversation piece well worth the price."

Never regretted buying this car

By on Sunday, December 01, 2013

Pros: "Great car, nice ride, roomy and versatile"

Cons: "Could use separate a/c vent for back seats"

"Nothing fancy, but has always had a nice ride, extremely reliable, and feels like it easily has another 200,000 miles in it. Have had this car for 12 years because I never had an excuse to sell it."

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, paint, solid tight feel still (100k)"

Cons: "Steel wheels"

"I just 100,000 miles on this vehicle. I've done gas and oil and Toyota maintenance at 50,000 miles. I had to have rear brake work twice. Otherwise - no issue. I love this car. Whether hauling tools and supplies, or my kayak on the roof rack or dressing up for a wedding - this vehicle is excellent. What's really amazing is the silver paint. I didn't have a garage for the first 6 years. It sat out all year long - Wisconsin winters. Never had an issue starting. I have the 4cylinder, 2WD model."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 06, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, safe, rides well"

"I have owned this vehicle since 2008 and bought it with 40K miles on it. I have not had one unexpected repair - just routine upkeep required. I have the 4WD model which is very secure in bad weather with all weather tires. It rides very nicely and still feels almost like new."

Average quality vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "good driv., good design, saves gas"

Cons: "rigid drv seat, under avr. quality"

"I bought my Highlander (V6) on 2005. It has 80000 miles so far and looks in good shape. The driving has been good and smooth for 2 first years but I can hear a lot of noise on the freeway during the last years. I like its design and the inside features (leather) but the driver seat is a little rigid and narrow. I have been disappointed from the quality of the car compared with the price I paid to buy this car. The first 6 months the plastic insulation of the passenger door had a problem and the Toyota dealer fixed it. Although I have paid for the regular service (every 5000 miles) at my local dealers at 75000 miles the AC was out of service and the Toyota dealers asked for 1150$ to repair it (I repaired it for 700$ at Firestone. Additionally at the same mileage it has some problems with right rear strut, dealer asked 1360$ to replace both the right and the left strut. I repaired them again at a Firestone shop for 792$. Also the exterior paint looks no so resistant compared with this of the Chevy Malibu I have had before the highlander. I would say it is an average SUV and good for everyday driving but overpriced by the dealer."

great liable car to transport my labrador in

By on Friday, September 07, 2012

Pros: "like the backdoor heighth for groceries and dog."

"Highlander is dependable and meets all my needs. Groceries and dog at a good level;no bending over to get to groceries and dog uses an added ramp to enter and exit. Only negative is the black carrier pieces (attached to the top - it is necessary to have the front windows cracked a little when back side windows are open or a thumping (wind) sound exists."

Would like to give high remarks but...

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"As the title states I'd like to give my Highlander high marks. First the bad: Toyota had to replace two engines (due to gelling) for this vehicle. This vehicle was well maintained and oil changes were regular. At 80k the transmission was checked, which checked out fine and then I switched to synthetic oil on the recommendation of my mechanic. Toyota made good on the engine changes but still I can't help but feel that this particular Highlander should have considered a lemon. The good: Kept me and my family safe through two (NOT major but definitely not minor either) car collisions. Very reasonable gas milage for it's size, I hovered around 19.7 MPG on average for city and highway combined. Had an impressive interior and I other then the engine failures I enjoyed this car very much."

Sorry but my Dodge and GMC minivans were better...

By on Sunday, March 09, 2008

"My guess is that the better gas mileage comes from lightweight body that easily picks up dents and scratches in the local parking lots. Not sure I'm getting good service at the local Toyota dealer... The "Oil Sludging" problem I had last summer is back again. I think Toyota was hoping that I would get past the 100K mark before the head drain holes plugged-up again Weather has been rough, but The Toyota Computer doesn't like the winter this year. I have had lights for ABS and AIRBAGS intermittantly appearing all winter... Mostly they go away when the vehicle warms up for a while. This is the most repairs on any vehicle I have ever owned for only 56K miles. (Bought it used with 34k miles on it). At least the VSC / anti-skid is not obnoxious when it's broken...(most of the winter) It used to warn me I was skidding and slipping by "beep-beeping" at me long after I corrected for it. Why would anyone want to know that the cruise-control is turned ON, even when you're not using it? After 30 years I bought another Toyota. How can it be that they still don't know how to make a good radio?"

Vehicle not for everyone

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Our 2006 Highlander is OK for smaller beople. I think the vehicle lacks power (V6) and hesitates during acceleration. The automatic 4WD Traction Control will get you stuck if all 4 wheels are lacking traction (the brakes will apply to the wheel that is spinning, if all 4 wheels are spinning, ice/sand, you will be stranded. The comfort is not good for long trips, but for short commutes it's OK. Yeah, it has a 3rd row seat, but it's only useful if you are 4 ft tall. gas mileage is good and quality is typical Toyota (very good). I wouls say it's not for everyone but a good vehicle none the less."

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Visibility, fantastic handling, spacious"

Cons: "MPH is lower than I would like"

"This car has been fantastic. It handles amazingly in rainy and snowy conditions. My little 4 cylinder towed a U-Haul across the country no problem. Great visibility from the driver's seat, with minimal blind spots. Very spacious, and works fantastic for a car full of people or a car loaded with sports gear. Only thing I would change is mileage - I would prefer something with a little better. I get about 18 mpg city and 21 mpg highway. Overall, I hope to continue owning Highlanders my entire life."

13 years of great driving!

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

"After 13 years and 180,000 miles it's finally time to put my Highlander to pasture. It's been a great car with only minor issues - some minor rust on the roof and the leather driver's seat is cracked with age. Drives beautifully, nicely appointed (we got the Limited with all the bells and whistles), and pretty decent mileage. Solid construction - saved our lives when rear-ended on the highway a few years back. Great car - going to miss it!"

Next car will be another Highlander

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Overall economical vehicle to own"

Cons: "Interior temperature control"

"After driving Volkswagons for over 20 years, I chose the Hghlander for additional space. Best choice ever made!! I was concerned I would be unhappy with the handling after driving German made cars but the Highlander rides and handles amazingly well. The unexpected surprise was how minimal the maintenance has been. I drive 30-35,000 miles per year and have had no major engine repairs in 5 years. My only issue with this vehicle is the poor cabin temperature control - a minor issue."

Great car, 153 K almost no problems

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "reliable and still going strong, good body."

"Very reliable good friend. Only has an electrical problem in the right window which is a pain but not worth fixing. Very reliable still looks sharp, even in my hoity toidy neighborhood. Would like to keep for another two or three years!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Seats could be more comfortable for long drives"

"Bought new in '02 V6 FWD. 115000 miles no problems ever, still going strong. Not the most comfortable for drives over 5 hours. Driver's side sunshade won't stay up all the way but that is pretty minor. Everything else works 100%."

Best Vehicle Ever!

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Everything about it has been top notch!"

"I swear by Toyotas. This is my third one and the best of all. I don't plan to get rid of it yet, I need values for tag transfer. I recommend it to anyone!!!"

First Toyota

By on Wednesday, September 07, 2011

"My mother in law gave me the Highlander when she bought her 2011 Tacoma. I've always been in love with Chevy's and was a little aprehensive when I first started driving it. I have to say it didn't take me long to fall in love with it! The drive is so smooth and quiet. The stock sound system is nice and I don't feel like I would need to put an after market one in. It does have good pick up when accelerating and I can pass people easly."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Thursday, November 13, 2008

"The Highlander has the typical Toyota quality and reliability. The average MPG is 24 - 26 on highway driving and 18 - 20 in stop-and-go driving in the city. I had mine for two years and 26,000 miles before it was totaled by a teen-aged driver. The safety equipment probably saved my life when the collision occured."

Great for family of 5

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"I got this car because I'm not a mini-van type person but needed something that fit three car seats and still got decent gas milage. Most "mid-size SUVs" had a second row that was too narrow and the third row was not convenient for small kids getting in and out but the Highlander can accomodate all three car seats in the second row and we only have to use the third seat when we have extra passengers. When the third row is up there is still ample cargo space for a double stroller. One of the things I like most is feeling safe when I drive myself and my family. The large blinds spots that came with so many of the SUVs that I test drove were not there in the Highlander and it handles much more like a car than a truck. I think the next time I upgrade I will get a 2008 Highlander, with the stow and go middle seat in the second row. I think I would use the third row alot more if it were more convenient to access. Hope this helps someone!"

Toyota Reliability

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"I have an '03 V6 FWD model with over 97K on it. This won't capture anyone's eye because of the styling but it's not ugly. The reliability has been great, which was the biggest reason we bought it. I didn't have a single problem with it until about 72K now some things are starting to fail here and there (thermostat, water pump, now something with the A/C). The front brakes lasted until 86K before I replaced them and I still have the originals in the rear. I do the basic maintenance myself since it can get pretty expensive to have Toyota service it. I average about 20 mpg over all in mixed driving, but will still get 24 mpg on the highway. The interior is very good. There are lots of storage places, things are easily in reach and it's very roomy (more room than my GMC Envoy XL). The cup holders in the rear doors make it easy for the kids. The seats aren't very comfortable on long trips. The driver’s seat seems to be at a weird angle, but it isn't bad for a trip of a few hours. They seem to have sacrificed some cargo space for passenger space. It can still hold a good amount of cargo though. It dirves and rides well, but I noticed I have to make a lot of corrections while driving on the highway to stay in my lane. The alignement is ok on it. Overall, I'm very pleased with this vehicle. I will keep it at least another few years."

Smoothest Lexus-like

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"This is by far the smoothest SUV I have ever owned. Coming from a proud american linage of Chevy's & Jeeps. This vehicle doesn't even compare in preformance even the occasional off-road handling. I have been stuck in the snow this is not an off-roader, but will do the trick in deep snow with good tires. I love my Lexus-Like feel without the price tag. Thanks Toyota for making a perfect fit for a petiete woman who needs the x-tra cargo room and the third row seat. This car (because it handles so well) is a hard working as this single mom. And is never had to spend much time in the shop. As a matter of fact I finally needed front brakes at 60,000. My previous vehicle Toyota Sequoia needed the same repair at 30,000 miles. BEST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER OWNED !"

bad in snow

By on Thursday, February 14, 2008

"The Highlander is terrible in the snow! I had a forester that went like a tank. The highlander is all over the place even with $700. snow tires."

Great gas mileage

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"Got the 2002 highlander 4 cyclinder 2.4L. FWD. It is the best ever. About 25 miles to gallon. Roomy, to fit any wood projects with fold down seats. Comfortable ride, smooth NOT bouncy like the other trucks. Handles like a cadillac."

'04 Toyota Highlander

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2008

"Compared to many cars I've owned from GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, and Toyota, this car has held up well. My biggest complaint is that I had to replace my steering column U-joint at 52,000 miles - outside of warranty - at a cost of $500. I found a Highlander owner's Internet forum and discovered I was not alone. Quite a few Highlander owners suffered the same fate and Toyota refused to classify this as a factory defect or to issue a recall. I filed a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board to no avail. Other than that, maintenance has been routine. For bigger drivers, the Highlander can feel cramped."

Toyota All the Way

By on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"This is the fifth Toyota that my family has bought. My Highlander was bought new in 05 and has 40000 miles and not one thing has gone wrong. This is a normal thing for toyota...before this I had a 95 camery and go over 200000 miles and never once did it have to go into the shop. Finally just to show you how great toyotas and highlanders are. This is the second highlander in our fleet and we have 90000 miles on the 02 one we have!"