• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2003 Toyota Highlander

Based on 773 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

beware

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"major transmission problems on AWD between 60-80k. toyota will not acknoledge..."

Be careful

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"I bought this car less than a year ago and now the rear differential is gone...it is under warranty but a sign of things to come...at the dealer we asked if it is safe to drive the car and we recieved an "i dont know" All i can do is wait and see..."

Love this SUW

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"This car drives like a car not like other SUVs that I test drove. The other SUV drove more like trucks. I am not happy that I owe more on the car than it is worth but whatever. I am sure it will last a long time without problems. Ours has the third row seat we have used it only a few time but it is very comfy. We have owned it for two years and have not had any trouble with it. My only regret is it is only a 4 cyl and we cannot tow."

Great Vehicle

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"This vehicle is fun to drive, tough, nice extras. The only thing of concern is the mileage - I have only been able to get up to 25 miles/gallon not nearly the advertised gas mileage. During this past winter I only got 14 miles per gallon."

Good vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Bought new in '02 for my wife. V6 2wd. No issues ever, pushing close to 85K miles to date. Replaced the tires at 57K miles and will do it again at around 115K. Brakes are original and have plenty of life left. Had a check engine light come on once which was generated by a vacuum hose that came off when checking the air cleaner. Popped the hose on and reset the light, no more light. I love the fact that I can reach the oil filter from the top and get a pan underneath without have to lift the car. I do my own maintenance and it is wasy to work on. I tow a utility trailer to Home Depot and to the compost station every weekend and have no issues with lack of power. It has plenty of headroom to get the kids in and out of their seats and the dogs are comfortable in the back. We average 22-23 mpg with normal dirving. Less when I drive, more when traveling on trips. Had the wife, 2 kids, grandma and a dog with us on a recent trip into the White Mountains as was towing a UHaul Sport trainer. Had no problem earning that speeding ticket in Tamworth, NH while passing slower cars going up hill. Managed 22 mpg on that trip with the car and trailer loaded up with AC on the whole time. We will buy another, if only for the 3rd row seat."